Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Mcaffe did not hold back about Grigson LOL

ColtsPacersfan

17 hours ago, Everyone said:

Dat you Dakich?

Does anyone know why Dakich likes Grigson so much?  I understand why he doesn't care for Pagano, but I am at a loss why Dakich ignores the flaws Grigson has shown.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dudeski said:

or maybe mcafee and reggie wayne dislike him for personal reasons and have hurt feelings because of a business decision that was made.  

Or maybe Grigson is a (word not allowed here).    Those guys actually know him and have dealt with him.  I'm more inclined to take their word for it

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Or maybe Grigson is a (word not allowed here).    Those guys actually know him and have dealt with him.  I'm more inclined to take their word for it

Ridiculous jvan. We all know us message board folk know more than people playing for or running NFL teams.

I feel like if you don't like a situation you have every right to speak on it. Maybe he could have been more respectful about it, but this is America. Nobody says you have to keep your dislike of the President quiet, so a football player speaking on a disliked GM and how he treated people is certainly his right. And he spoke knowing full well who pays him. The consequences are on him and I'm sure he accepts that.

Look McAfee shouldn't have reacted the way he did.  Yes his quotes are funny because we don't like Grigson but it doesn't change that you don't want to see your players saying things like that about guys who are their bosses in public.  It helps prove the fact the Colts have a lack of discipline at the moment even if what Pat said is true.

It sure seems like Pat was waiting for his opportunity. The Reggie Wayne interview certainly indicates that he was not alone in his feelings for Grigson. If more players felt that way and it looks like they might have, then Jim Irsay appears to have made the right decision. Couple this with the draft failures on defense over the last few years and my opinion is this was the right decision. Pat has always been outspoken and has spoken once again.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look McAfee shouldn't have reacted the way he did.  Yes his quotes are funny because we don't like Grigson but it doesn't change that you don't want to see your players saying things like that about guys who are their bosses in public.  It helps prove the fact the Colts have a lack of discipline at the moment even if what Pat said is true.

He's not his boss anymore though? If Grigson was as big a * as he's being made out to be no-ones supposed to talk about it? Even after the guy was fired? I'm sure if Irsay has an issue with it he'll address it.

35 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

He's not his boss anymore though? If Grigson was as big a * as he's being made out to be no-ones supposed to talk about it? Even after the guy was fired? I'm sure if Irsay has an issue with it he'll address it.

No but his Owner was out there talking about how great of a guy Grigson is.  So you make Irsay look dumb.  Again, it's not something he should be doing publically even if it's true.  

4 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

"Here we are," Manning said. "I'm out at my third Pro Bowl, I'm about to go in and throw a touchdown to Jerry Rice, we're honoring the Hall of Fame, and we're talking about our * kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off.

"The sad thing is, he's a good kicker. He's a good kicker. But he's an *."

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0202/1503003.html

Two differences:

1) Manning wasn't talking about a "superior." He was talking about a teammate.

2) That teammate hadn't just lost his job. He wasn't kicking him while he was down. And this was before the Pittsburgh miss, so it wasn't even necessarily an unpopular player (though he had just criticized Manning and Dungy, which was basically a cardinal sin).

Also, Manning caught plenty of flack for what he said. 

5 hours ago, SilentHill said:

I believe he has a 1st amendment right...

Also, you must not follow Pat on twitter, he routinely tells people who disagree with him to eat "%" It's just who Pat is as a person, I applaud it. This country needs more people who are willing to speak the truth, no matter how offensive.

His constitutional rights are not in question. Just because you can do or say something does not mean that you should.

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Even in dismissing him Irsay was sure to heap praise on grigson, which leads me to feel like maybe this decision was made based on the kinds of things we haven't seen (the kinds of things Pat alluded to) rather than the things we did see. The reactions of Reggie Wayne, Jarrell Freeman, and Winston Guy don't seem to cast a glowing review on him, either, and they all have the in-house experience to cast that review. I'd say Pat wil get a talking to from someone, but I doubt it'll be much beyond that, because I'm guessing there is a line of guys, and possibly a very lengthy one, who would sign their name on those comments as well.

To be honest, I don't think the player comments are indicative of anything other than Grigson not being a buddy-buddy kind of guy, not having a charming personality, etc. Many of the things people have said about Grigson's personality have also been said about Belichick, main difference being that Belichick is a champion and basically has carte blanche. 

But the "Patriot Way" is basically embodied in some of the gruffness than Grigson is being accused of. Sounds to me like Grigson didn't let sentimentality get in the way of what he thought was best for the team/roster. When Reggie wanted to stay, they told him it was over. That wasn't a popular decision, but it was obviously the right decision. He didn't get caught up in trying to please people with other personnel decisions, like the Freeman negotations (probably should have found a way to keep Freeman and got rid of Jackson, but he made a football decision and stuck to it). These are the tough things you have to do as a GM.

So I don't mind that he made tough decisions and held the line even when they weren't popular, or when others might have wanted him to change his mind. It does sound like he could have been more diplomatic -- he apparently told Weslye Saunders that he wasn't going to make it as a football player, period, which is unnecessary. He also seemed not to get along with people that he still needed to work with -- McAfee says he treated people awful, and the Colts hired psychologists to try to help the working environment. None of this speaks well about the environment that his personality apparently contributed to.

Something else, he does seem to have acquiesced at times to others. He spoke of being checked by Jimmy Raye at times, in so many words. And Irsay said that Pagano was the one who wanted to stay away from players with character issues, which the Colts mostly did over the last five years, including cutting players who got in trouble. So I don't think Grigson was an unyielding authoritarian. 

Either way, I'm more concerned with his use of personnel resources than I am with his personality. If Belichick -- the ultimate jerk -- can succeed, then it's not necessary to be a friendly, happy kind of guy all the time. But you better be good at what you do, and Grigson was definitely not good enough over five years. 

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Wow this is not a big deal.. some of yall are Nancy's.

I didn't have a problem with what Pat said, nothing wrong with speaking the truth. Grigson isn't our GM anymore so I had no problem with it. If Grigson treated people like garbage than the Tweets fit. What he tweeted is said in the real world everyday by a lot of people that hated a Boss they worked for that left a company or got fired. Cant tweet or say things like that about your current GM or Boss but once they are no longer with a company who cares IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't have a problem with what Pat said, nothing wrong with speaking the truth. Grigson isn't our GM anymore so I had no problem with it. If Grigson treated people like garbage than the Tweets fit. What he tweeted is said in the real world everyday by a lot of people that hated a Boss they worked for that left a company or got fired. Cant say tweet or say things like that about your current GM or Boss but once they are no longer with a company who cares IMO.

He didn't call him any names or act nasty towards him.. by some of these comments you'd think Pat called him a + and told him to # off. 

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

They go to AA together. (Abusers ananamous)

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I cant stand Dakich, he's the worst on the radio.

I can listen to him at times.  It's just that I have heard some of his reasons for not liking Pagano coaching abilities and I agree to a point, but when Grigson's flaws are brought up, Dakich defends him.  It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Just now, Cynjin said:

I can listen to him at times.  It's just that I have heard some of his reasons for not liking Pagano coaching abilities and I agree to a point, but when Grigson's flaws are brought up, Dakich defends him.  It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

He and Dakich probably went to vegas and ryan still has the "pics" on his phone. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Pat's comments were unprofessional. It does somewhat reflect poorly on him and on the Colts to trash the GM on the day he was fired. I don't think it's a gigantic problem or anything, and just because I don't think he played this right doesn't mean he's classless or a bad person. 

I agree, but at the same time if you had to be professional for 5 years and you hated the guy. All your teammates hated the guy. He didn't let the coach you love coach. Then I'd probably take a stab at him when he got fired too. Lol 

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

Two differences:

1) Manning wasn't talking about a "superior." He was talking about a teammate.

2) That teammate hadn't just lost his job. He wasn't kicking him while he was down. And this was before the Pittsburgh miss, so it wasn't even necessarily an unpopular player (though he had just criticized Manning and Dungy, which was basically a cardinal sin).

Also, Manning caught plenty of flack for what he said. 

1) Neither was Mcafee, he was talking about his EX-general manager.

2) Some people would consider it even worse to Bash a current teammate. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what he said about our then * kicker, was just using it as an example in response to Dudeski saying Manning wouldn't have done it....so it wasn't his GM, fair enough.

43 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

They have the same type of personality I think.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree, but at the same time if you had to be professional for 5 years and you hated the guy. All your teammates hated the guy. He didn't let the coach you love coach. Then I'd probably take a stab at him when he got fired too. Lol 

Then don't sign your extension

47 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

1) Neither was Mcafee, he was talking about his EX-general manager.

2) Some people would consider it even worse to Bash a current teammate. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what he said about our then * kicker, was just using it as an example in response to Dudeski saying Manning wouldn't have done it....so it wasn't his GM, fair enough.

1) Still a position of authority, still a superior. It's different. 

2) Better or worse, still different.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) Still a position of authority, still a superior. It's different. 

2) Better or worse, still different.

Not trying to be a butt here, I always respect and value your opinion...but how is Grigson in a position of authority over Mcafee any longer? It'd be different if the comments would have been before Grigson was canned, but they weren't? 

9 hours ago, Gramz said:

While some may think it lacked "class" for him to voice his opinion publicly,  what it did for me was validate the way I've felt for the past several years.    

I no longer feel guilty for the feelings I had about Grigson, knowing the majority of the team and organization shared my feeling.     It is what it is.   

Agreed.  I don't know why, but I've had the gut feeling Grigson was really arrogant and always viewed himself as the smartest person in every room.  Now we know that's how it really was with him.  McAfee is a class act (despite what some may think because of this tweet) and a really friendly guy, so it would take a lot for him to have this kind of opinion towards someone.

28 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Not trying to be a butt here, I always respect and value your opinion...but how is Grigson in a position of authority over Mcafee any longer? It'd be different if the comments would have been before Grigson was canned, but they weren't? 

He's not anymore, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying he was still making comments about someone who was in a position of authority, not a peer. Obviously Grigson isn't an authority anymore, but it's still different than criticizing another player.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

To be honest, I don't think the player comments are indicative of anything other than Grigson not being a buddy-buddy kind of guy, not having a charming personality, etc. Many of the things people have said about Grigson's personality have also been said about Belichick, main difference being that Belichick is a champion and basically has carte blanche. 

But the "Patriot Way" is basically embodied in some of the gruffness than Grigson is being accused of. Sounds to me like Grigson didn't let sentimentality get in the way of what he thought was best for the team/roster. When Reggie wanted to stay, they told him it was over. That wasn't a popular decision, but it was obviously the right decision. He didn't get caught up in trying to please people with other personnel decisions, like the Freeman negotations (probably should have found a way to keep Freeman and got rid of Jackson, but he made a football decision and stuck to it). These are the tough things you have to do as a GM.

So I don't mind that he made tough decisions and held the line even when they weren't popular, or when others might have wanted him to change his mind. It does sound like he could have been more diplomatic -- he apparently told Weslye Saunders that he wasn't going to make it as a football player, period, which is unnecessary. He also seemed not to get along with people that he still needed to work with -- McAfee says he treated people awful, and the Colts hired psychologists to try to help the working environment. None of this speaks well about the environment that his personality apparently contributed to.

Something else, he does seem to have acquiesced at times to others. He spoke of being checked by Jimmy Raye at times, in so many words. And Irsay said that Pagano was the one who wanted to stay away from players with character issues, which the Colts mostly did over the last five years, including cutting players who got in trouble. So I don't think Grigson was an unyielding authoritarian. 

Either way, I'm more concerned with his use of personnel resources than I am with his personality. If Belichick -- the ultimate jerk -- can succeed, then it's not necessary to be a friendly, happy kind of guy all the time. But you better be good at what you do, and Grigson was definitely not good enough over five years. 

You cannot compare grigson to belichick. Pat said it best, unwarranted ego with little to no success (paraphrased).

We all need to chill out. A kicker (all pro kicker) made a comment. It is no impact on our lives and literally means nothing.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

You cannot compare grigson to belichick. Pat said it best, unwarranted ego with little to no success (paraphrased).

Yes you can. It's an unfavorable comparison for Grigson, because he doesn't have Belichick's track record of success, but that's the point. If Grigson had the Colts in contention every year, he'd still be the Colts GM, despite his apparent personality flaws, or whatever it is that makes him disliked by some of these players.

Lawyer Milloy had lots of bad things to say about Belichick, and he's not the only one. Lots of media people have been treated roughly by Belichick over the years, many of them have written about it, a lot of the time it's in front of a camera or a microphone. We dismiss it because Belichick is probably the best coach ever, but it's still jerkish behavior. He just has the leeway to do what he wants, say what he wants, and it's because he's a great coach and his team is always good.

Just to clarify, I'm not up in arms about Pat's comments. I think it would be best if he hadn't spoken out like he did, but I don't really think any less of him. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yes you can. It's an unfavorable comparison for Grigson, because he doesn't have Belichick's track record of success, but that's the point. If Grigson had the Colts in contention every year, he'd still be the Colts GM, despite his apparent personality flaws, or whatever it is that makes him disliked by some of these players.

Lawyer Milloy had lots of bad things to say about Belichick, and he's not the only one. Lots of media people have been treated roughly by Belichick over the years, many of them have written about it, a lot of the time it's in front of a camera or a microphone. We dismiss it because Belichick is probably the best coach ever, but it's still jerkish behavior. He just has the leeway to do what he wants, say what he wants, and it's because he's a great coach and his team is always good.

Just to clarify, I'm not up in arms about Pat's comments. I think it would be best if he hadn't spoken out like he did, but I don't really think any less of him. 

Which is why pat said what he did. You win, you've earned the right to be stand of fish and even a jerk. Players respect that even though they may not like you. If you're a jerk and can't win then you're a loser jerk, and no one likes those guys.

12 hours ago, life long said:

What business decisions gave pat a personal reason?

Well grigson came in and gutted their roster in 2012. He got rid of good players, team leaders and probably some pretty close friends of pat and Reggie.  

If a new boss came into my job and fired half the staff, including a few close friends, I definitely wouldn't be too happy with the new boss. Especially if my friends were good workers and really had no reason to be fired other than the new boss wanted to bring in "his guys". 

Not saying this is what happened, but it could be an explanation for them starting off on a bad note and getting worse from there. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I bet Milloy did have a bunch of bad things to say about Belichick, especially after he had the gall and audacity to give up his hotel room for Milloy. The nerve of that guy! :(

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4785182/the-day-bill-belichick-gave-his-hotel-room-to-safety-lawyer-milloy

Lol But, seriously, what negative things did Milloy say? I'm curious.