Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Mcaffe did not hold back about Grigson LOL

ColtsPacersfan

When Pat McAfee of all people is celebrating your firing, it's pretty obvious you where the problem.

This is why Grigson was let go without letting go of Pagano.  Pat McAfee is a real outgoing guy who seems easy to get along with.  You can tell that when you meet him you can tell that when you see him on TV.  And his teammates will tell you the same thing.

Pagano himself seems like an easy guy to get along with.  The players love him.  Perhaps that's part of his problem and I don't disagree with anyone who thinks we could do with a change in that department.  

But here is the thing.  Grigson has obviously managed to rub both of these guys the wrong way.  

I'm not sure that getting rid of Grigson is the answer to all our problems, in fact it probably isn't.  But it's pretty clear that Grigson was causing a lot of conflict and that no one was going to get along with him as his subordinate.  

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I bet Milloy did have a bunch of bad things to say about Belichick, especially after he had the gall and audacity to give up his hotel room for Milloy. The nerve of that guy! :(

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4785182/the-day-bill-belichick-gave-his-hotel-room-to-safety-lawyer-milloy

Lol But, seriously, what negative things did Milloy say? I'm curious. 

For example: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10254032/new-england-patriots-way-highway

"Take it or leave it," Milloy said. "They are already seeing everybody on that roster and seeing where they need to cut back. 'How do we keep the numbers down and get a competitive roster? Hey, we love this guy, but his numbers are high.'

"Just ethically and morally, I could not look in Coach Belichick's face any more after that."

That article includes quotes from other former Patriots who were a little salty about how the team moved on from them. Don't forget Brandon Spikes "4 years a slave" comment. It's not uncommon for players to express displeasure with the Patriots after they leave.

But my point is not that Belichick is a bad person, it's that he's gruff, he puts business above sentiment, and he does what he does because he thinks it's best for his team. Of all people, Milloy said that in this same article. If you put together a winning program, that personal stuff doesn't matter as much.

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Who are we to judge him for exercising his right to free speech?

This is a classic straw man. No one is judging him for exercising his right to free speech. No one here has said he doesn't have the right to say what he wants, when he wants.

What people always leave out of this 'FREE SPEECH!' argument is that, while we have the right to express ourselves, we are all accountable for what we say. We're held accountable by our superiors, we're accountable by the law or whatever authority figure is in place, and we're held accountable by public opinion, to whatever extent our expressions are exposed to the public. Just like we have the right to say what we want, others have the right to react to it.

Just now, Superman said:

This is a classic straw man. No one is judging him for exercising his right to free speech. No one here has said he doesn't have the right to say what he wants, when he wants.

What people always leave out of this 'FREE SPEECH!' argument is that, while we have the right to express ourselves, we are all accountable for what we say. We're held accountable by our superiors, we're accountable by the law or whatever authority figure is in place, and we're held accountable by public opinion, to whatever extent our expressions are exposed to the public. Just like we have the right to say what we want, others have the right to react to it.

To say you disagree with McAfee is one thing, to tell him that he should and i quote "Shut his mouth" is entirely different.

McAfee probably shouldn't have done it, but its not that big of a deal IMO. This kind of thing happens at pretty much every job after someone is fired, not saying its right though. 

Maybe Grigson was a humongous jerk and McAfee felt like people needed to know about it, whether right or wrong to have said it. One thing is for sure, it doesn't appear he was well liked in the Colts complex.

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

To say you disagree with McAfee is one thing, to tell him that he should and i quote "Shut his mouth" is entirely different.

Should. In context, it would be 'I think he should shut his mouth, because I don't think he should say what he said.' Unless someone is physically trying to muzzle him or throwing him in jail for it, his rights are not in danger. You asked who are we to judge how he uses his right to free speech, and the answer is I'm a person with the same rights as him, so it's my right to give my opinion about how he's using his rights. 

For the record, I don't agree with anyone saying he should shut his mouth, as I think that's rude and kind of hypocritical. I don't think he should have said what he said because it reflects poorly on him and on the organization, but I'm certainly not offended by what he said.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Not really. Manning is the only player Grigson got rid of who played well anywhere else, at least in 2012. Freeney and Freeman are probably the only others over the last five years. 

Jeff saturday and dallas clark were core players from the old regime that werent retained. They both went on to play elsewhere. Gary brackett didnt end up anywhere else and i wouldnt classify him as a good player, but he was a team leader and well liked by his team mates. Joseph addai and ryan diem didnt go on to play elsewhere either, but were still well liked and werent really replaced with better players so i could see players not being happy with those decisions either. I could see all of them not being retained (in addition to everyone else) rubbing people the wrong way and starting off on the wrong foot with grigson. 

26 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Jeff saturday and dallas clark were core players from the old regime that werent retained. They both went on to play elsewhere. Gary brackett didnt end up anywhere else and i wouldnt classify him as a good player, but he was a team leader and well liked by his team mates. Joseph addai and ryan diem didnt go on to play elsewhere either, but were still well liked and werent really replaced with better players so i could see players not being happy with those decisions either. I could see all of them not being retained (in addition to everyone else) rubbing people the wrong way and starting off on the wrong foot with grigson. 

I said "played well." Saturday and Clark didn't play well once they left. And in Saturday's case, everyone knew he was close to retirement, and Irsay even offered him a job in the front office. It's not like they pushed him out unceremoniously. I don't think he belongs in the conversation, to be honest.

It's true that those decisions could have rubbed players the wrong way, but they all proved to be good football decisions, so from my outsider viewpoint, it's hard to see Wayne and McAfee and others having a problem with those guys being allowed to leave. 

According to McAfee's tweet, he feels Grigson treated people poorly. That goes beyond football decisions to get rid of players. That's part of the business, and I think everyone gets that. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said "played well." Saturday and Clark didn't play well once they left. And in Saturday's case, everyone knew he was close to retirement, and Irsay even offered him a job in the front office. It's not like they pushed him out unceremoniously. I don't think he belongs in the conversation, to be honest.

It's true that those decisions could have rubbed players the wrong way, but they all proved to be good football decisions, so from my outsider viewpoint, it's hard to see Wayne and McAfee and others having a problem with those guys being allowed to leave. 

According to McAfee's tweet, he feels Grigson treated people poorly. That goes beyond football decisions to get rid of players. That's part of the business, and I think everyone gets that. 

Im not saying they were bad football decisions. But with grigson effectively getting rid of their entire core group of players as he walked in the door, could have been the beginning of "treating people poorly". First impressions play a huge part in how people see each other, and if grigson was as unapproachable and anti-social as we are lead to believe, then perceptions of him would get worse from there. 

I wasnt implying that it was THE deciding factor in why he is disliked, simply that it could have been one of many factors and one that hadnt been discussed or considered. 

Had Pat's team mates all called him a jerk for his swimming antics, would he have appreciated that? On reflection, he would probably just laugh it off. Now I don't know what point I'm trying to make. Anyway, I'm with the minority who think he should have kept out of it. Not a lot to gain from it, rather than to gain more publicity....

He want's to be a TV star after he retires from football, right.........

15 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well grigson came in and gutted their roster in 2012. He got rid of good players, team leaders and probably some pretty close friends of pat and Reggie.  

If a new boss came into my job and fired half the staff, including a few close friends, I definitely wouldn't be too happy with the new boss. Especially if my friends were good workers and really had no reason to be fired other than the new boss wanted to bring in "his guys". 

Not saying this is what happened, but it could be an explanation for them starting off on a bad note and getting worse from there. 

Reggie said that Grigson didn't acknowledge Reggie or try to talk to him until week 11 or 12 of the first season. That it wasn't uncommon for him to pass Grigson in the hall-way without having any interaction.  Reggie basically said he was the veteran leader of the team when Grigs came on and he thought it was weird that Grigson never bothered to take time to get to know him or speak to him.

Pagano is the one who reached out to Reggie to get him to stay in Indy, which makes sense because Pagano and Reggie have connections all the way back to Reggie's college days at Miami.  However, if it is true that Grigson more or less ignored him once he signed his contract, that does seem a bit odd.

A lot of rumors in the 2015/16 season that veteran players were ticked off at Grigson for controlling the starting rosters when they seemed to think the coaches didn't have full reigns of those decisions.  Frank Gore mentioned something after the season about how messed up our organization was... there was one press conference before Andrew got hurt last season where Pagano was asked about Andrew struggling under pressure and Pagano responded with something like "He should be used to it by now, he hasn't had a line in 4 years" which seemed to be a direct shot at Grigs...

The Colts were 2-14 when Grigs took over, I really don't think McAffee or Reggie would be all that upset about Grigson overhauling the roster -- it was obvious we were very bad and needed a big change. 

I have a funny feeling that many of the players within the organization were/are unhappy with Grigson -- Reggie is retired and likely doesn't care if he perturbs anyone anymore and Pat M. is just a guy that would do something like that.  I am sure many others feel similarly, but just are keeping quiet (to the public) about it.

53 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Reggie said that Grigson didn't acknowledge Reggie or try to talk to him until week 11 or 12 of the first season. That it wasn't uncommon for him to pass Grigson in the hall-way without having any interaction.  Reggie basically said he was the veteran leader of the team when Grigs came on and he thought it was weird that Grigson never bothered to take time to get to know him or speak to him.

Pagano is the one who reached out to Reggie to get him to stay in Indy, which makes sense because Pagano and Reggie have connections all the way back to Reggie's college days at Miami.  However, if it is true that Grigson more or less ignored him once he signed his contract, that does seem a bit odd.

A lot of rumors in the 2015/16 season that veteran players were ticked off at Grigson for controlling the starting rosters when they seemed to think the coaches didn't have full reigns of those decisions.  Frank Gore mentioned something after the season about how messed up our organization was... there was one press conference before Andrew got hurt last season where Pagano was asked about Andrew struggling under pressure and Pagano responded with something like "He should be used to it by now, he hasn't had a line in 4 years" which seemed to be a direct shot at Grigs...

The Colts were 2-14 when Grigs took over, I really don't think McAffee or Reggie would be all that upset about Grigson overhauling the roster -- it was obvious we were very bad and needed a big change. 

I have a funny feeling that many of the players within the organization were/are unhappy with Grigson -- Reggie is retired and likely doesn't care if he perturbs anyone anymore and Pat M. is just a guy that would do something like that.  I am sure many others feel similarly, but just are keeping quiet (to the public) about it.

They probably would have been unhappy that a bunch of their friends were shown the door, but if Grigson stopped there that would have been the end of it as they understand that it is a business. Unfortunately he backed that up by ignoring team leaders from the old regime and making matters worse. What I was getting at was that he essentially had a terrible first impression with the old regime players, and that was a potential for a bad relationship right off the bat, which only got worse as time went on. 

Basically i compare it to my job. If I had a year where sales are down, but we had a good core of decent (not great) sales people, and a new boss came in and fired most of us, I wouldnt be happy with the new boss. If he refused to talk to or acknowledge me then my relationship and perception of him would get worse. If he followed that up by replacing the old employees with sub-par sales people and the public perception of our company plummeted, since I already had a bad impression I would judge him more harshly then if I liked him or perceived him as a good manager. 

It probably wasnt even in the top 5 for reasons they dislike him, but it could have been a factor nonetheless. I was just bringing it up as it was an angle that hadnt been discussed. 

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

When Pat McAfee of all people is celebrating your firing, it's pretty obvious you where the problem.

This is why Grigson was let go without letting go of Pagano.  Pat McAfee is a real outgoing guy who seems easy to get along with.  You can tell that when you meet him you can tell that when you see him on TV.  And his teammates will tell you the same thing.

Pagano himself seems like an easy guy to get along with.  The players love him.  Perhaps that's part of his problem and I don't disagree with anyone who thinks we could do with a change in that department.  

But here is the thing.  Grigson has obviously managed to rub both of these guys the wrong way.  

I'm not sure that getting rid of Grigson is the answer to all our problems, in fact it probably isn't.  But it's pretty clear that Grigson was causing a lot of conflict and that no one was going to get along with him as his subordinate.  

mcafee is a punter.  a kicker.  fans love him because they think they could drink a beer with him.  that does not make him an all knowing wizard.  it makes him a good dude at best.  

mcafee can take his clown show elsewhere as far as i am concerned. 

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

McAfee probably shouldn't have done it, but its not that big of a deal IMO. This kind of thing happens at pretty much every job after someone is fired, not saying its right though. 

Maybe Grigson was a humongous jerk and McAfee felt like people needed to know about it, whether right or wrong to have said it. One thing is for sure, it doesn't appear he was well liked in the Colts complex.

oh really

everytime a guy is fired at best buy, some car stereo installer tweets stuff about him and the nflnetwork runs it at the top of the hour?

43 minutes ago, dudeski said:

mcafee is a punter.  a kicker.  fans love him because they think they could drink a beer with him.  that does not make him an all knowing wizard.  it makes him a good dude at best.  

Luckily your concern doesn't mean anything to those in control.   

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Not really. Manning is the only player Grigson got rid of who played well anywhere else, at least in 2012. Freeney and Freeman are probably the only others over the last five years. 

Bethea has done fairly well for himself in San Fran, I know that's not from 2012 but it is the last five years.

Still shocked (not really) that the take away from Pat's tweets are in essence "killing the messenger" versus actually taking a look at what he is insinuating... 

No one, other than Colts employees, really know the levels of arrogance & "rudeness" Grigson exhibited to the players. But Wayne saying the guy didn't even speak to him for several weeks is somewhat telling...

Polian was known for an air of arrogance as well, but he showed players respect & every game I attended during the Polian era, you saw him personally shake each players hand during warm-up prior to the game...

So there was a level of mutual respect...

Players know that NFL stands for Not For Long, so I'd be highly surprised if some of the backlash Grigs is getting is simply due to him cutting 'friends' from the team...

From the Polian era to now, the Colts went from being perceived as a Class organization, to a laughing stock. Some will put that on Chuck, but everything starts at the top and if the GM is a large source of stress it's gonna trickle down...

It is also an interesting coincidence that the locker room seems to have deteriorated immensely under Grigson & Paganos tenure, which again, May be telling about both, but the players don't seem to hold issue with Pagano, so, I guess I'm just surprised Colts fans aren't just excited about Irsay taking the initiative to bring some stability back to the organization...

Polian was allowed to be a jerk, because until he shared control with his son, his track record was awesome in the draft and we won a lot of games. 

As for McAfee, I'm guessing since he was on special teams--units that are normally filled by a lot of fringe, roster bubble players, that he saw a lot of his teammates firsthand mistreated by Grigson. 

I doubt Luck or Hilton and guys like that got much attitude or poor treatment though. 

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

everytime a guy is fired at best buy, some car stereo installer tweets stuff about him and the nflnetwork runs it at the top of the hour?

You mean you didn't know they did that? Come on dudeski, get with the times. I can't wait to watch NFL Network and see who was fired from best buy in the morning

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Jerry Hughes

2 hours ago, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

Polian was allowed to be a jerk, because until he shared control with his son, his track record was awesome in the draft and we won a lot of games. 

As for McAfee, I'm guessing since he was on special teams--units that are normally filled by a lot of fringe, roster bubble players, that he saw a lot of his teammates firsthand mistreated by Grigson. 

I doubt Luck or Hilton and guys like that got much attitude or poor treatment though. 

After 2004 (Bob and Jake Scott?), his drafting was pretty average. Very average actually. Bethea was his only really good pick. I was not a fan of Addai, as a few will remember! And his pulling of the starters was way more unclassy than anything Grigson did......

On 1/22/2017 at 5:41 PM, 21isSuperman said:

McAfee is a class act (despite what some may think because of this tweet) and a really friendly guy, so it would take a lot for him to have this kind of opinion towards someone.

Hit the nail right here. How many everyday peoples lives do you think Grigson touched in a positive way? Couldn't tell you, because never heard of outreach of any kind on his part. Patty Mac on the other hand has been a shining beacon for the city of Indy, and an ambassador for Hoosier hospitality since he stepped foot on Indiana soil. A no-brainer in my book. But this is just one mans opinion. 

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

Hit the nail right here. How many everyday peoples lives do you think Grigson touched in a positive way? Couldn't tell you, because never heard of outreach of any kind on his part. Patty Mac on the other hand has been a shining beacon for the city of Indy, and an ambassador for Hoosier hospitality since he stepped foot on Indiana soil. A no-brainer in my book. But this is just one mans opinion. 

Exactly, I always hear stories about Pat helping families out and paying their bills, etc.. I live in Indiana and have never seen 1 story where Grigs helped anyone out.

9 hours ago, dudeski said:

Being a kicker really has nothing to do with it.   He still has interaction with the team.  

As a veteran of the team, he has seen allot and his views have some merit.  Especially when combined with others like Wayne.  

Seems Irsay screwed up more than I thought by keeping Grigson this long.  

Seems several others have the same sentiment.

Reggie Wayne, Gary Brackett, Winston Guy, and I'm sure very few past or present players disagree.

May be such a thing that past and present players should have spoken up alot earlier like maybe last year when there was questions on who was going to be the general manager and coach. Irsay holds the opinions of past players and general managers in high regard.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I wouldn't expect anything less from a clown like Mcaffe.

He is positioning himself for a career in comedy for his post-NFL career. So as far as a clowns basic role in making people laugh you are correct, Pat is definitely a clown. But he is also a clown that helped raise over 150 grand to help aid Indiana residents in need of tornado relief, a clown who has a foundation that doles out scholarships to veterns family members, & a clown who goes above & beyond aiding the wounded warrior efforts. He is a clown that has accomplished all of this before the age of 30...

He also happens to be among the best at his position in one of the world's most competitive sports leagues...

What a clown...

57 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

He is positioning himself for a career in comedy for his post-NFL career. So as far as a clowns basic role in making people laugh you are correct, Pat is definitely a clown. But he is also a clown that helped raise over 150 grand to help aid Indiana residents in need of tornado relief, a clown who has a foundation that doles out scholarships to veterns family members, & a clown who goes above & beyond aiding the wounded warrior efforts. He is a clown that has accomplished all of this before the age of 30...

He also happens to be among the best at his position in one of the world's most competitive sports leagues...

What a clown...

Well said.