Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This offseason Grigson needs to focus on retooling the defense

RockThatBlue

Via FA and the draft.

This defense has got to get better. I would like to see Grigson go hard after improving the defense, similar to how he was aggressive about the o line last season. I wouldn't be surprised if we have several new faces on defense next year.

Thoughts? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'm looking forward to the Colts investing in defense,  while I expect the 2017 defense to be better,  I don't expect it to be fixed in one off-season.       With where we are,  it's likely to take 2-3 years to build what we want.      

In 2017,  we need to get into the teens.     In '18,   something around 12, give or take.    And in 19,  I'd like to be in single digits.    Inside the top-10.     Hey, if we can do it sooner --- great.      I'm just not expecting it.   

Every once in a while a team will build a great defense quickly like the NY Giants.     But they weren't as bad in 15 as we are in 16,   so they didn't have as far to go.      And in many of the stories I read,   the writer notes that the Giants rebuild is unusually fast.       So,  their effort is far more the exception than it is the rule.

I'm always happy to be wrong in these cases,  but I don't see the Colts having a fast build on that side of the ball.

Sounds like the right plan to me. I think at least 5 of our 7 picks should be for defense. I'm even OK with not drafting a running back for grooming behind Gore. Turbin and Todman behind Gore would be OK for 2017 if we don't IMO. The Seahawks did just fine with the Rawls kid at RB who was undrafted. It's debatable if our problem running the ball is more our run blocking or more our backs. Ajaya for the Dolphins ran wild on the Steelers in week 6 but had no success today because the holes weren't there. I also think that RB is a position where a player needs little grooming. 

We should have been prioritising the defense last year in my view but nothing can be done about that now.

If we go for quality over quantity in free agency and manage to pick up a corner back and a pass rusher it will give us a bit of freedom to fill the other gaps in the draft.

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

We will have enough money to make a splash or two in FA. 

I think those 2 splashes should be at CB and OLB. Melvin Ingram so you only have to draft one OLB. At CB maybe Gilmore. 

In the draft you can get 2 ILBs, an edge, a NT, and a RB. Next year you draft a game wrecker defensive lineman and a true FS. Couple developmental CBs. A new WR as Dorsett will be gone.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think those 2 splashes should be at CB and OLB. Melvin Ingram so you only have to draft one OLB. At CB maybe Gilmore. 

In the draft you can get 2 ILBs, an edge, a NT, and a RB. Next year you draft a game wrecker defensive lineman and a true FS. Couple developmental CBs. A new WR as Dorsett will be gone.

Think we need two pass rushers drafted and that FA pass rusher and i Love the corner idea in FA as well..having just 1 edge rusher and then another in FA would leave us with two pretty much because a lot of our young olbs you don't know what to expect

Yeah..definately defense.  atleast 2 linebackers..1 top 2 rounds...1 middle round..minimum.

A corner would be great if we cannot find a solid CB in FA as a #2.  

I fully expect a running back top 3 rounds though...not 1st round..(unless bpa absolutely demands it)

Pass rush is a MAJOR investment this offseason....there is no doubt.

But remember concerning FA's...we Got a couple of our own we REALLY need to focus on keeping first...then figure the $$ after, for any we might consider bringing in.

I honestly think additions of a solid passd rusher, and a stud #2 corner would bring our defense into the teens overall.  We have good talent on the defense,...but they were just young, and need more coaching.  this offseason should work wonders because now they know what eacxh of them need to work on in thier time off respectfully.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

This would be my strategy as well but Grigson frustratingly doesn't sign mid to late 20 year old FA's on sizable contracts. I'd say Art Jones was his last one. I hope he bring in one quality FA this year, we really need it on D.

8 hours ago, AndyLuck said:

Agreed and there's plenty of big name defensive free agents likely to hit the market.

As someone who doesn't follow intently enough to know everyone who is available around the league during this offseason, are there any you would prefer Grigson targets?

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Via FA and the draft.

This defense has got to get better. I would like to see Grigson go hard after improving the defense, similar to how he was aggressive about the o line last season. I wouldn't be surprised if we have several new faces on defense next year.

Thoughts? 

And in other news, water has been determined to be wet.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

If you have nothing other than your snarky thoughts, keep them to yourself.

He is trying to start a discussion and here you go, spouting off your "holier than thou snarky" comments. You also pretty well know this is not the first time you have done this.:thmdown:

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you have nothing other than your snarky thoughts, keep them to yourself.

He is trying to start a discussion and here you go, spouting off your "holier than thou snarky" comments. You also pretty well know this is not the first time you have done this.:thmdown:

Thanks for the input.

But no.

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Via FA and the draft.

Thoughts? 

Eh, I actually think he should focus primarily on the offensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

As someone who doesn't follow intently enough to know everyone who is available around the league during this offseason, are there any you would prefer Grigson targets?

Here's a list of LBs (outside & inside), that'll be available in the offseason. Some nice names on this list for sure:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Via FA and the draft.

Thoughts? 

CB - definitely via the draft because a) there is money invested in VD and Robinson that we cannot shell out more money on FA and b) it is a deep enough CB class that we can get some quality CBs. 

The LBs - I do think we need to look at FA a bit and the draft a lot. I'd take a Polian approach and re-sign the homegrown Walden, hopefully the price is right.

The only position I see on the offensive side is RB, depending on the value available. DL - the question marks around Langford and Arthur Jones need to be evaluated and if there is great value in one, I am all for it. 

QB, WR, TE, and even OL - pretty much most of the offensive side, we have enough pieces to build on. OL, IMO.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Here's a list of LBs (outside & inside), that'll be available in the offseason. Some nice names on this list for sure:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

Thanks man. Colts and Dolphins are the wildcard-level teams with tons of cash to spend this offseason with nobody from 2013 to extend and QB's under contract already. Hopefully one of us are good enough this offseason to build on that.

By the way,  I don't mean to split hairs, or pick a nit....     but I wouldn't call what the Colts have to do "retooling"...

I think we're in a full-blown REBUILD.      A major rebuild.      And I don't see it as a one year job.

We'll need several drafts to do the right.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As much as I'm looking forward to the Colts investing in defense,  while I expect the 2017 defense to be better,  I don't expect it to be fixed in one off-season.       With where we are,  it's likely to take 2-3 years to build what we want.      

In 2017,  we need to get into the teens.     In '18,   something around 12, give or take.    And in 19,  I'd like to be in single digits.    Inside the top-10.     Hey, if we can do it sooner --- great.      I'm just not expecting it.   

Every once in a while a team will build a great defense quickly like the NY Giants.     But they weren't as bad in 15 as we are in 16,   so they didn't have as far to go.      And in many of the stories I read,   the writer notes that the Giants rebuild is unusually fast.       So,  their effort is far more the exception than it is the rule.

I'm always happy to be wrong in these cases,  but I don't see the Colts having a fast build on that side of the ball.

I am not a proponent of exchanging a first round talent for more picks, but second or third round draft picks should be made available for trade if we can get more picks out of them since we have a good "need" list on our plate. Like you said, Rome was not built in a day but even if get to middle of the pack on D, with improved continuity on O, we should be able to make some noise in the playoffs. That would be a step in the right direction. We are 2 drafts and off seasons away from contending for a SB, but just one draft and off season away from putting a stamp on the division, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Eh, I actually think he should focus primarily on the offensive side of the ball.

Huh?

We have a good offense that should get better.

And we have a 30th ranked defense with very little talent.

Is that what you meant to post?

Denver turned their D around incredibly fast also, but they had a lot of talent on the roster already.

I would have to agree with NCF and say we will need at least two solid drafts before we become a D that teams actually fear.  We have some talent but not nearly what Denver did or even the Giants did this past year.  We need some solid picks and maybe two good FA's each year and maybe within two years we are in the low teens or hopefully top-10 in D.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Dang man... Relax. I usually enjoy reading your comments however I've been reading comments like this one far too much. I understand it's technically the offseason for us, but we can still provide some input in this topic on what we should do defense wise.

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Via FA and the draft.

Thoughts? 

He better or count on a 6-10 season. 

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

CB - definitely via the draft because a) there is money invested in VD and Robinson that we cannot shell out more money on FA and b) it is a deep enough CB class that we can get some quality CBs. 

The LBs - I do think we need to look at FA a bit and the draft a lot. I'd take a Polian approach and re-sign the homegrown Walden, hopefully the price is right.

The only position I see on the offensive side is RB, depending on the value available. DL - the question marks around Langford and Arthur Jones need to be evaluated and if there is great value in one, I am all for it. 

QB, WR, TE, and even OL - pretty much most of the offensive side, we have enough pieces to build on. OL, IMO.

Yeah, But I wouldn't be upset if we draft an O-lineman in the first round. 

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

We have a good offense that should get better.

And we have a 30th ranked defense with very little talent.

Is that what you meant to post?

Yes, it's exactly what I meant to post. But unfortunately, the forum's sense of humor and ability to detect sarcasm isn't as strong as it used to be.

I know what you're saying and you're probably not wrong. But we do have some young talent on defense now. So I don't think will have to totally turnover the defense. I like Geathers, E. Jackson, Anderson, Kerr, Morrisson, Ridgeway, Parry, and Davis when healthy and maybe Green will improve. I know everyone has opinions so start shooting them at me.  

3 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I know what you're saying and you're probably not wrong. But we do have some young talent on defense now. So I don't think will have to totally turnover the defense. I like Geathers, E. Jackson, Anderson, Kerr, Morrisson, Ridgeway, Parry, and Davis when healthy and maybe Green will improve. I know everyone has opinions so start shooting them at me.  

Parry would be better served as a backup! He`s a weak link in a weak front 7.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I fully expect a running back top 3 rounds though...not 1st round..(unless bpa absolutely demands it)

If we draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, as if it is more important than oline or defense I will absolutely lose my mind. That is just as bad as drafting Dorsett in the first. What is everyone's obsession with drafting a RB early? Gore just gave us our first 1000 yard season in quite sometime. Give him another lineman and it will serve him and whoever else runs behind this line for years to come. My goodness it's not rocket science. You think Ezekiel Elliot would have made this line look good? Do you really think he would be considered MVP behind our line? A big fat NO. I really hope grigson has learned from his horrible pick at WR. Clearly some others haven't.

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If we draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, as if it is more important than oline or defense I will absolutely lose my mind. That is just as bad as drafting Dorsett in the first. What is everyone's obsession with drafting a RB early? Gore just gave us our first 1000 yard season in quite sometime. Give him another lineman and it will serve him and whoever else runs behind this line for years to come. My goodness it's not rocket science. You think Ezekiel Elliot would have made this line look good? Do you really think he would be considered MVP behind our line? A big fat NO.

If Frank Gore, at age 33, can rush for 1,000 yards behind our line, why wouldn't a much younger, faster, more dynamic back be able to?

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Frank Gore, at age 33, can rush for 1,000 yards behind our line, why wouldn't a much younger, faster, more dynamic back be able to?

Im sure a younger one would do just fine. Just a younger one from after the first 3 rounds. What's more important? Honestly for this team what is more important than RB in the first 3 rounds? Please enlighten me. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Im sure a younger one would do just fine. Just a younger one from after the first 3 rounds. What's more important? Honestly for this team what is more important than RB in the first 3 rounds? Please enlighten me. 

If BPA in the first is Dalvin Cook then so be it.  If he pans out to be pretty solid then it helps out a lot.  Luck can have some time on plays and our play action would actually have some validity behind it.  Our D needs help and a lot of it but BPA might just be a new younger back to help with offense.

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

It all depends on what they're able to do in free agency. If they make a splash with some nice veteran talent at either edge or ILB (or both), then that opens up the possibility to use a high pick on a blue chip runningback. In that particular scenario, I'd actually be fine with it.