Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

4 minutes ago, ar7 said:

How does it not? I said that guys of Peyton's stature do not typically go down this traditional path of building their resume and getting experience. I never said that MJ was a great executive. I also never said Peyton is going to make a great executive if he chooses to do that some day. I said none of us know if Peyton would be good/is ready to be a President/GM.

My bad....I was thinking he asked you to name a successful GM who didn't have any previous front office experiences.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Chicago story is at least a day old. 

No, this happened today..I was listening..

There is no story that I know of..and the hosts didn't say there was.

..they just were discussing what to do about the Bears (3-12) and they said Peyton would be the tyope of football mind they needed...

..no one in any way connected to the Bears

But ESPN talk stations often discuss the same 'rumors' as if they get primer sheets of info and stats every morning

55 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Example = Michael Jordan...different sport I know. John Elway did have experience in the Arena Football League but it was as a co-owner.

I just don't see Peyton, or players of his stature, taking on a role where he isn't a top guy in the organization.

I said experience is overrated...not that it doesn't/never matters.

Jordan's team sucks a** horrible choice 

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No, this happened today..I was listening..

There is no story that I know of..and the hosts didn't say there was.

..they just were discussing what to do about the Bears (3-12) and they said Peyton would be the tyope of football mind they needed...

..no one in any way connected to the Bears

But ESPN talk stations often discuss the same 'rumors' as if they get primer sheets of info and stats every morning

You're right, there is no story. I'm just saying that the idea about 'why not hire Peyton?' started yesterday.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I am pretty sure I heard them talking Manning today in context of a front office position but not necessarily as the GM, at least not now.  Further I think Manning, being the perfectionist that he is, would not think he could come in and do the GM job with absolutely no experience.  IMO, I believe he would think that an affront to Polian and others who paid their dues and did the job very well for a long time.

There does seem to be some smoke around this rumor.  Maybe there is a fire somewhere.  

To the bolded, I think that's the way to make it work.

As for the rumor having legs, I'm not saying anyone made it up. I'm just saying I think it's not a good idea, at least not to give him the main job right off.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, I think that's the way to make it work.

As for the rumor having legs, I'm not saying anyone made it up. I'm just saying I think it's not a good idea, at least not to give him the main job right off.

Like overseeing football operations or assistant of football operations, not directly involved with the cap or scouting or making draft decisions??? Would that be the kind of front office position that you are thinking?

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

Which has nothing to do with Luck... Careful, your agenda is showing.

That's not what Irsay said. If anyone should feel slighted by those comments, it's Bill Polian, not Peyton Manning. No reason for you to project your hurt feelings onto other people.

Agenda? Please I don't think Peyton really cares about the Colts beyond his time here which is fine but I think there are others who can't accept it for some reason. Regardless Jimbo said this 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jim-irsay-to-play-for-colts-you-have-to-want-more-than-1-super-bowl/

Don't know about you but that doesn't seem really respectful to me and I can only imagine what Peyton thinks. To pretend it wouldn't bother him is rather naive but hey you live in your own little world to the surprise of nobody.

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

How come this is suddenly coming up now? any thoughts?

It is coming up now based on the fact that there is a "feel out" process going on as to what alternatives they have for Grigson, I guess. Pagano would probably be easier to replace than Grigson, IMO because we will be getting guys that would be at the same level of experience as Grigson at best. Coaches, we may have a better pool come Black Monday, just a hunch.

Also, some words were pleasantly exchanged during the re-union that happened when the SB 41 squad was in Indy for the 2nd Titans game, it is rumored. So people ran with those pleasant conversations. :)

The timing of the Colts' demise from playoff contention is what has let the volcano of conjecture erupt, whether it is from former players at that re-union or not, I don't know.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

Ya but I'm sure peyton knows talent when he sees it.

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

Anyone who thinks it wasn't the right move doesn't want to deal with facts. The fact he won a SB with Denver , doing virtually nothing because his arm was shot, with a great D, has led some misinformed fans to think they screwed up. When they let him go they had the 1 pick and a chance to draft a once in forever prospect and be good for years and it was questionable with that neck injury if he would ever play again. The fact they have horribly mismanaged and failed to take advantage of Luck rookie contract or draft properly is on Grigson. The Colts weren't even close to SB caliber when Peyton left. They did him a huge solid , got him a second  ring. 

I don't think Andrew Luck is a once in forever prospect he's very good though and when all is said and done I don't think his career will surpass Peyton's either.

Regardless I had no issue with the Colts moving on from Manning these things happen rarely does a player stay with a team for their entire career. I think the comments Irsay said towards him after he left were rather uncalled for and makes him look like a bigger fool in retrospect.

However its pretty obvious the only person that truly benefitted from this is Peyton who got to go to 2 more SBs and win another SB and retired a champion. While the Colts seem to be at a crossroads. I doubt that is what Irsay thought would happen when he made that move. 

4 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Agenda? Please I don't think Peyton really cares about the Colts beyond his time here which is fine but I think there are others who can't accept it for some reason. Regardless Jimbo said this 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jim-irsay-to-play-for-colts-you-have-to-want-more-than-1-super-bowl/

Don't know about you but that doesn't seem really respectful to me and I can only imagine what Peyton thinks. To pretend it wouldn't bother him is rather naive but hey you live in your own little world to the surprise of nobody.

Irsay had spoken in a similar fashion a few times before and it wasn't about ripping Mannng.  As was already stated, it was more about Polian's failure, in Irsay's eyes, to build a proper and complete team around Mannng.

The national guys just picked it up and ran with it....ignorantly.

1 hour ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

what is a JMV???

Jan Michael Vincent.

He was a 3rd tier TV star back in the 70s's on a moderately popular, short lived, TV show.

Or, maybe they're talking about the local sports radio show host.

I'm still trying to figure it out for sure.

Just now, buccolts said:

Jan Michael Vincent.

He was a 3rd tier TV star back in the 70s's on a moderately popular, short lived, TV show.

Or, maybe they're talking about the local sports radio show host.

I'm still trying to figure it out for sure.

Air Wof was amazing

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I don't think Andrew Luck is a once in forever prospect he's very good though and when all is said and done I don't think his career will surpass Peyton's either.

Regardless I had no issue with the Colts moving on from Manning these things happen rarely does a player stay with a team for their entire career. I think the comments Irsay said towards him after he left were rather uncalled for and makes him look like a bigger fool in retrospect.

However its pretty obvious the only person that truly benefitted from this is Peyton who got to go to 2 more SBs and win another SB and retired a champion. While the Colts seem to be at a crossroads. I doubt that is what Irsay thought would happen when he made that move. 

Things can change in a hurry. One or two great years from Luck and the offense and a bit of playoff noise, we could attract free agents like Peyton did with Talib, Ward, Ware, Stewart, Sanders in Denver. 

Then, we could be in contention for a window of 3-4 strong years and you never know what can happen during that window. 

Seahawks had their window in 2013-2014, and keep knocking on the door, even Rams had their window with a free agent QB that was bagging groceries a year before, in 2000-2001, you just never know when that window will come and how you can cash in. Can you say I am still a bit optimistic? :)

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Irsay had spoken in a similar fashion a few times before and it wasn't about ripping Mannng.  As was already stated, it was more about Polian's failure, in Irsay's eyes, to build a proper and complete team around Mannng.

The national guys just picked it up and ran with it....ignorantly.

And he also said he wasn't going to make that same mistake with Luck(which he has BTW)

Really? He said he only wanted guys that wanted to win more than 1 ring? Because apparently Manning, Dungy etc didn't want more than 1 ring its ridiculous to say about anyone. Just because you don't win more than 1 ring doesn't mean you didn't want it sometimes you don't get any.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Things can change in a hurry. One or two great years from Luck and the offense and a bit of playoff noise, we could attract free agents like Peyton did with Talib, Ward, Ware, Stewart in Denver. 

Then, we could be in contention for a window of 3-4 strong years and you never know what can happen during that window. 

Seahawks had their window in 2013-2014, and keep knocking on the door, even Rams had their window with a free agent QB that was bagging groceries in 2000-2001, you just never know when that window will come and how you can cash in. Can you say I am still a bit optimistic? :)

Yes but nobody said Russell Wilson or Kurt Warner are once in a lifetime prospects either. Andrew Luck is good but I never understood crowning this dude before he ever played either. He's more Favre than Manning which is fine with me but I wonder why people around here don't accept that for some reason it was very unrealistic to say he would be Manning part 2. 

Andrew Luck is very good and I think capable of winning an SB but will it be as a Colt barring changes I doubt it at this point he might as well go for the trifecta and be the 3rd Colts QB to go to Denver and win an SB.

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

Yes but nobody said Russell Wilson or Kurt Warner are once in a lifetime prospects either. Andrew Luck is good but I never understood crowning this dude before he ever played either. He's more Favre than Manning which is fine with me but I wonder why people around here don't accept that for some reason it was very unrealistic to say he would be Manning part 2. 

At this point, most folks compare him to Big Ben, but a Big Ben who was drafted without much of team support around him. That is where the comparisons stay at this point, IMO. Manning 2 is just make believe, they are not the same type of QBs.

2 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Andrew Luck is very good and I think capable of winning an SB but will it be as a Colt barring changes I doubt it at this point he might as well go for the trifecta and be the 3rd Colts QB to go to Denver and win an SB.

I never heard dude  Luck 'crowned'  that's Skip Bayless talk

Its called a 'straw man' ...you set up an arguement that no one ever seriously made just for the purposes of disagreeing with it...

56 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Grigson had front-office experience with Philly and look where we are, it would be a major risk to get someone green in that area, especially with our roster and coaching issues.  As it has been stated (Superman, etc), a lessor role, perhaps.  Let's get this coaching thing figured out, then Irsay should see what Grigson's business plan looks like (SWOT Analysis, etc.)... separation of the Siamese Twins is the first order of business

Point taken.

8 minutes ago, CF4L said:

And he also said he wasn't going to make that same mistake with Luck(which he has BTW)

Really? He said he only wanted guys that wanted to win more than 1 ring? Because apparently Manning, Dungy etc didn't want more than 1 ring its ridiculous to say about anyone. Just because you don't win more than 1 ring doesn't mean you didn't want it sometimes you don't get any.

believe what you want

Not really. He said something that turned out to be true, but between JMV's 'prediction' and the outcome, Manning wound up having another, more serious surgery that no one was sure he would have. That was basically the definition of throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

No he reported it on twitter.  He took A LOT of heat for it because he was saying what people didn't want to hear at the time.  With that said what he said was "I am being told by a source who would know that Manning had a second surgery this week and will miss a significant amount of time." 

Does that mean JMV is right here?  No but he has proven he has sources who knows things about the Colts as you would expect for a  guy who works in the local media to have.  Now it also fair to point out his source could have been cleaned out when Polian and that crew was let go but his former producer Matt Taylor now works for the Colts.  I don't know if Matt Taylor would have any inside information but he's proof JMV does know people who work with the Colts.  There seems to be some smoke growing around this idea too and you know what they saw about smoke and fire. 

Eddie White was on local radio last week suggesting Manning could be a GM for the Colts but swore up and down no one was telling him this.  When asked about Peyton's lack of experience being a GM White said Manning spent a lot of time with Bill Polian when he was here especially the year he missed the season and treated it like an internship.  Now does spending time working with Bill Polian mean your ready to be a NFL GM?  Not always look at his son. 

This is all depending on Irsay firing Grigson and I am not sure he's there yet (although personally I am okay with him letting go of Grigson and Chuck).  If he does fire them I think he will want to make some kind of splash move to save face after giving them both extensions last year and to get the fan base excited about the team again.  Petyon Manning as GM would clearly do that. 

Is Petyon who I would want for GM?  Probably not my first choice, I'd rather have someone who is proven in the job.  Still I think if you put the right people around Peyton and he is willing to listen to them then Peyton could very well be successful.  I would also hope they avoid the mistake I think they made with Grigson and Chuck and hiring two first time people.  I would like them to bring in an experienced coach depending on what's out there. 

There is also the question of would Peyton wan the job?  Would he really want to put himself in position to be fired by Irsay twice?  Most GMs end up fired so the odds are high if he's the GM one day he's going to get fired again by Irsay. 

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I never heard dude  Luck 'crowned'  that's Skip Bayless talk

Its called a 'straw man' ...you set up an arguement that no one ever seriously made just for the purposes of disagreeing with it...

No this was mentioned 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82705854/article/beyond-luck-who-is-the-most-cantmiss-prospect-in-the-draft

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/can-andrew-luck-escape-the-nfl-narrative-20140909

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/10/26/long-line-forming-for-andrew-luck/

But people tend to have revisionist history when a player doesn't live to such an unrealistic expectation. He's very good and that's enough for me but saying he's not on Manning's level and probably won't be is considered a slight by people around here for some reason.

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

No this was mentioned 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82705854/article/beyond-luck-who-is-the-most-cantmiss-prospect-in-the-draft

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/can-andrew-luck-escape-the-nfl-narrative-20140909

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/10/26/long-line-forming-for-andrew-luck/

But people tend to have revisionist history when a player doesn't live to such an unrealistic expectation. He's very good and that's enough for me but saying he's not on Manning's level and probably won't be is considered a slight by people around here for some reason.

I agree.......no one ever said Luck would be Peyton Manning..

No one ever said that Eli Manning would be Peyton Manning..

Luck was a cant miss prospect and he hasn't misse..no open I ever heard seriously suggested Luck would

put up wins and numbers like Mannind did for a deacade

...but contrarians (ones who need to have an 'against the grain opinion' to show they have an 'edge' to them) claimed that was said......so they could be the only ones 'bold' enough to "tell the truth",

Just now, oldunclemark said:

I agree.......no one ever said Luck would be Peyton Manning..

No one ever said that Eli Manning would be Peyton Manning..

Luck was a cant miss prospect and he hasn't missed..no open I ever heard seriously suggested Luck would

put up wins and numbers like Manning did for a decade

...but contrarians (ones who need to have an 'against the grain opinion' to show they have an 'edge' to them) claimed that was said......so they could be the only ones 'bold' enough to "tell the truth",

For various reasons, I could see Irsay doing this.  One reason being it would give him a one step at a time option.  If you bring in a GM with experience, he's probably going to clean out the organization from top to bottom and start over.  Unless he could hire Harbaugh or an equivalent, I'm not sure Irsay is ready to start over.  With Peyton, I don't see that.  I'm guessing Irsay would keep Chuck for a year and see what happens.  As I recall, when Grigson was hired, he wanted to keep Caldwell and hire Spagnuolo.  

It's not what I want, but I could see it being appealing to Irsay for that reason.

I would be thrilled to have Peyton in any capacity.  Manning would surround himself with knowledgeable people.  I'm sure he's smart enough to realize what he doesn't know.  If you just restrict yourself to experienced GMs, you're just going to end up, more than likely, with recycled also-rans. The next generation of great GMs have to get a start somewhere!

Peyton was a coach/coordinator/QB on the field.  He studied tape more than the staff.  You can't tell me he had zero input on draft day either.  He remembers obscure plays 3'years ago on a Tuesday.  He is waaaay smarter than Elway.  Elway got by on talent.  Peyton got by on his brains.  Irsay could hire co-GMs, Manning and some vet to help him.  He would pick it up quicker than anyone.  Polian said Manning would be a tremendous GM.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Like overseeing football operations or assistant of football operations, not directly involved with the cap or scouting or making draft decisions??? Would that be the kind of front office position that you are thinking?

Yes, at first. I said earlier, I would start him in Bleum's office, let him learn the business and the cap for a bit. I would have no problem with him having an assistant director position in personnel. I just don't think he should be running a team, trying to run the draft, making day to day decisions, with no experience. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That worked out well, right? 

He was the CEO and de facto GM. He ran the team, hired and fired coaches and staff, and personnel decisions and business level decisions. He was eventually chairman of the executive committee. They were also pretty doggone good, making the playoffs 5/6 seasons and winning a championship in Year 3. He got a lot of experience in sports business.

He had previous experience running businesses, successfully.

It's not up to me, but I wouldn't hire someone with zero experience to run my entire program.

You supported your argument by saying 'sometimes people with experience fail,' as if that means experience isn't important. 

Elway seems to be the model that people are pointing to for why Peyton Manning would be a good GM. I'm pointing to the fact that he had 14 years of business and sports administration experience prior to becoming GM, and Peyton has zero. 

I'm also asking for an example of a successful NFL GM/exec who had as little experience as Peyton. You'd be setting the man up for failure.

My point with Elway is he was never, to my knowledge, someone's assistant even in the Arena League. The guy was in a position of authority. It is my opinion that if a former player with a resume like Elway/Manning is interested in a football job, regardless of if it is the NFL or another level, that they are unlikely to take on a role where they are not the decision maker. Some have suggested that Peyton take on a lower level type role with the Colts first and I just can't see him doing that. Surrounding himself with lots of experienced people? Yes. Having an advisor of some sort? Yes. Reporting to anyone but the owner? I don't envision it.

You indicated that Irsay should make some role for him in the front office first. Can you envision Peyton being part of an organization where he doesn't report to the owner? Do you think that other people would not naturally defer to him regardless of his position title? I personally don't see it but I also am not going to claim I'm always right.

Elway is the only football executive, regardless of success or previous experience, who I would put in the same category as Peyton. I assume most executives played in the NFL but Elway is the only guy I find comparable to Peyton.

I totally understand why people prefer experience. I know that with most candidates you look for it. I also understand why people overlook it with Peyton Manning...he isn't like most candidates. If you are going to make the exception to having experience it will be for a guy like Peyton. I don't think Irsay would choose someone over Peyton for the sake of someone else having experience. If he feels Peyton can do the job he will hire him and fill in where Peyton has weaknesses.

For the record, the only thing I am confident on with Peyton is the culture aspect he would bring. I have no feeling one way or the other if he would make the right roster decisions, structures the football operations in a good way, or would hire the right head coach. I'm not trying to make the case that I think Peyton will make a great executive because I don't know. My main points are that 1) Peyton is going to want authority/control 2) If you overlook the experience factor on anyone it is for Peyton.

24 minutes ago, ar7 said:

My point with Elway is he was never, to my knowledge, someone's assistant even in the Arena League. The guy was in a position of authority. It is my opinion that if a former player with a resume like Elway/Manning is interested in a football job, regardless of if it is the NFL or another level, that they are unlikely to take on a role where they are not the decision maker. Some have suggested that Peyton take on a lower level type role with the Colts first and I just can't see him doing that. Surrounding himself with lots of experienced people? Yes. Having an advisor of some sort? Yes. Reporting to anyone but the owner? I don't envision it.

You indicated that Irsay should make some role for him in the front office first. Can you envision Peyton being part of an organization where he doesn't report to the owner? Do you think that other people would not naturally defer to him regardless of his position title? I personally don't see it but I also am not going to claim I'm always right.

Elway is the only football executive, regardless of success or previous experience, who I would put in the same category as Peyton. I assume most executives played in the NFL but Elway is the only guy I find comparable to Peyton.

I totally understand why people prefer experience. I know that with most candidates you look for it. I also understand why people overlook it with Peyton Manning...he isn't like most candidates. If you are going to make the exception to having experience it will be for a guy like Peyton. I don't think Irsay would choose someone over Peyton for the sake of someone else having experience. If he feels Peyton can do the job he will hire him and fill in where Peyton has weaknesses.

For the record, the only thing I am confident on with Peyton is the culture aspect he would bring. I have no feeling one way or the other if he would make the right roster decisions, structures the football operations in a good way, or would hire the right head coach. I'm not trying to make the case that I think Peyton will make a great executive because I don't know. My main points are that 1) Peyton is going to want authority/control 2) If you overlook the experience factor on anyone it is for Peyton.

To the bolded, the Broncos didn't make that exception for Elway. If you feel like he's the model for Peyton...

But, if Manning wants to be able to run the show without working his way up, I'm sure there are organizations that would allow him to do so. He could be an AD at a college program right away, he could run a team for a smaller, less high stakes league... Or another NFL team could just higher him as GM, Pres of Ops, whatever, and let him figure it out on the job. I just don't want it to be my team. 

I'd obviously root for him. Eventually, it would be awesome if he were the Colts GM, IMO. And eventually, I think he'd be good at it, if he wanted it. If you surround him with great people and all that, it's not impossible that it could work. I just don't think it would be smart.

I think people look at Elway and say 'why don't we do that with Manning, he'd be great at it!' And they're missing the fact that Elway didn't just walk out of the locker room and take the elevator directly up to the top floor to take his rightful place as GM. He gained a lot of experience away from the NFL, earned his place at the table, and even then did a couple years of mostly oversight, not day to day decision making. 

First, Grigson's years as a scout are experience that Peyton doesn't have, as he's never scouted players. Grigson was even an assistant coach for a season.

Second, your post is inaccurate. Grigson was an ascending scout for 8 years. In 2006, he became Director of College Scouting, and in 2010 he became Director of Personnel. He worked in a lot of front offices, went to a lot of combines and pro days, conducted a lot of workouts and tryouts, sat in on a lot of pre-draft meetings, helped set a lot of boards, and was in a lot of draft rooms. He had 14 years of experience in personnel prior to becoming the Colts GM, including 6 years in the front office for the Eagles.

I'm all for giving Manning a chance. I actually think he'd make a great GM, if he wanted to go down that path. As you said, he's intelligent, knows the game, and has as great a work ethic as anyone. But all those things were true of Matt Millen, who also became GM with zero experience.

Right now, he has close to zero experience in this capacity, and is not qualified to run an entire program. At best, he'd be a figurehead taking credit for the work of others; at worst, he'd actually try to do the job without the experience, and be bad at it.

Like I said, add him to the program, let him learn the ropes, and eventually he can step into the main job. But it would be a mistake to just hand it to him when he has zero experience in business or sports personnel. 

Okay good point. 

I would rather see Manning as QB coach or possibly even OC before GM.  I doubt he would want to do either of those yet though, he's only been out 1 year and his twins are still young and Eli is still playin.  But I do think he might be interested in a "consultant" type role, perhaps he could be a special assistant/consultant to the GM, learn the ropes from someone who knows what they're doin, and then he could transition to that role down the road.  At least that would be my wish, but I aint scratchin the checks so.......