Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Whether or not people like Brad Wells, he still has his sources very close to the organization. He totally predicted Grigson/Pagano turning into a complete clown show after the '14 season, and he was right, but no one believed him, not even me. He definitely seems to have his finger on the pulse of this situation as well, as does this Jim Osborne guy.

I don't know what he predicted because I don't read or listen to anything that comes from him. I'd rather eat dirt.

However, the idea that Irsay is meeting with Condon could mean something, but I'm not running with that. Irsay and Condon have known each other for a long time...

7 hours ago, life long said:

Lol i was going to post i doubt he has any interest in any job in the public for the next few years. He had said he wanted to just go to games, be a fan and be with his family. I believe him, i think if he comes back to football in any capacity it will be a few years from now in any field he chose. Still i would personally like to see him coaching an offense or teaching qbs to see the details.

I don't disagree with this, but don't overlook the fact that for guys like Manning, football is what he knows. His entire life has been centered around football since he was a kid. It's in his DNA. Guys like that tend to have a VERY hard time staying away. There's only so many commercials he can shoot and family gatherings to attend before that void becomes unbearable.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know what he predicted because I don't read or listen to anything that comes from him. I'd rather eat dirt.

However, the idea that Irsay is meeting with Condon could mean something, but I'm not running with that. Irsay and Condon have known each other for a long time...

He basically predicted the debacle that was the Colts '15 season, verbatim, aside from the Luck injury. Like, all of it. The rift between Pagano and Grigson in particular, he laid that out there weeks before anyone else reported it.

And I get it, initially I hated him too. But I've hate-followed him on Twitter for a few years now, and I gotta say, he's right A LOT more than he's wrong, especially with matters pertaining to the Colts.

On 12/28/2016 at 5:43 PM, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

I agree, I know it wouldn't happen but how would you feel about Jeff Saturday as a GM?

Just now, Malakai432 said:

I agree, I know it wouldn't happen but how would you feel about Jeff Saturday as a GM?

Same way I'd feel about Manning, at least right now. Saturday doesn't have any executive experience that I know of... 

Irsay offered Saturday a position in the front office when he retired. He wanted to do media. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

Same way I'd feel about Manning, at least right now. Saturday doesn't have any executive experience that I know of... 

Irsay offered Saturday a position in the front office when he retired. He wanted to do media. 

Assuming both Pagano and Grigson are let go, I could live with one of their replacements being a rookie at said position. We can't have rookies at general manager AND head coach again though, that would be a huge mistake.

28 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I'd be fine with Peyton running the football operations, because I believe he is smart enough to surround himself with experienced and knowledgeable people.

I'm not worried about the cap, contracts, etc.  He'll have team of advisors and attorneys.  I just hope he has a better eye for talent than Grigson.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:23 PM, GoColts8818 said:

No he reported it on twitter.  He took A LOT of heat for it because he was saying what people didn't want to hear at the time.  With that said what he said was "I am being told by a source who would know that Manning had a second surgery this week and will miss a significant amount of time." 

Does that mean JMV is right here?  No but he has proven he has sources who knows things about the Colts as you would expect for a  guy who works in the local media to have.  Now it also fair to point out his source could have been cleaned out when Polian and that crew was let go but his former producer Matt Taylor now works for the Colts.  I don't know if Matt Taylor would have any inside information but he's proof JMV does know people who work with the Colts.  There seems to be some smoke growing around this idea too and you know what they saw about smoke and fire. 

Eddie White was on local radio last week suggesting Manning could be a GM for the Colts but swore up and down no one was telling him this.  When asked about Peyton's lack of experience being a GM White said Manning spent a lot of time with Bill Polian when he was here especially the year he missed the season and treated it like an internship.  Now does spending time working with Bill Polian mean your ready to be a NFL GM?  Not always look at his son. 

This is all depending on Irsay firing Grigson and I am not sure he's there yet (although personally I am okay with him letting go of Grigson and Chuck).  If he does fire them I think he will want to make some kind of splash move to save face after giving them both extensions last year and to get the fan base excited about the team again.  Petyon Manning as GM would clearly do that. 

Is Petyon who I would want for GM?  Probably not my first choice, I'd rather have someone who is proven in the job.  Still I think if you put the right people around Peyton and he is willing to listen to them then Peyton could very well be successful.  I would also hope they avoid the mistake I think they made with Grigson and Chuck and hiring two first time people.  I would like them to bring in an experienced coach depending on what's out there. 

There is also the question of would Peyton wan the job?  Would he really want to put himself in position to be fired by Irsay twice?  Most GMs end up fired so the odds are high if he's the GM one day he's going to get fired again by Irsay. 

Quality response!

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't disagree with this, but don't overlook the fact that for guys like Manning, football is what he knows. His entire life has been centered around football since he was a kid. It's in his DNA. Guys like that tend to have a VERY hard time staying away. There's only so many commercials he can shoot and family gatherings to attend before that void becomes unbearable.

He attends football games its not the same but I really don't think its become that unbearable for him nearly a year later either. His kids are small I just don't see him wanting to do anything that would take him away from them like a GM job would.

There's a reason why Elway waited till his kids were grown.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We probably wont hire him anyway so I guess none of this matters. Irsay will probably keep Grigson and Pagano and most people in here will go bonkers.

I see this happening I personally think this is how this all transpired: Jimbo wants to keep these two around but knows he has to find a way to get the fanbase to not go postal. So leak a rumor that Manning is the possible replacement people will be so excited that Manning will come back to Indy(despite living in Denver and probably not wanting to come back and work for Jimbo which he's aware of) Except Irsay knows he won't so he can say hey I tried but there's nobody else better out there so how about Grigson/Pagano for another year.

I find it hard to believe that Jimbo would admit he was wrong after the first year of the extension(second maybe)

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Exactly, it could be they were discussing something else.  I am more than willing to think that could be going on.  However, it has come out in 97 that Irsay knew he was going clean house before the last game of the season and start positioning himself to get Polian and was able to make the announcement the same day he fired Tobin if I remember correctly.  It wouldn't shock me that he's already decided he's going to fire Grigson and Pagano (let's be honest what's Sunday going to do to change that decision much) that he is getting in position to make a move.  Let's also be honest, if he hires Peyton the same day or very shortly there after the story stops being about the mistake Irsay made to extend Grigson and Pagano the year before and becomes that he hired Peyton Manning and it will excite the fanbase, which is something they need right now.  I am not saying that's a good reason alone to hire Peyton, it's not a good reason to hire anyone for anything alone but I do think it might factor into his decision. 

4 hours ago, coltsva said:

I'd be fine with Peyton running the football operations, because I believe he is smart enough to surround himself with experienced and knowledgeable people.

The odd thing in my mind is: As much as Peyton was interviewed and talked to and about during his playing career.

..I dont ever remember him saying specifically what he wanted to do when he retired. Not once.

And except for the times he was honored in Denver and Indy, he's been every quiet and largely out of sight.

He may like doing nothing

58 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly, it could be they were discussing something else.  I am more than willing to think that could be going on.  However, it has come out in 97 that Irsay knew he was going clean house before the last game of the season and start positioning himself to get Polian and was able to make the announcement the same day he fired Tobin if I remember correctly.  It wouldn't shock me that he's already decided he's going to fire Grigson and Pagano (let's be honest what's Sunday going to do to change that decision much) that he is getting in position to make a move.  Let's also be honest, if he hires Peyton the same day or very shortly there after the story stops being about the mistake Irsay made to extend Grigson and Pagano the year before and becomes that he hired Peyton Manning and it will excite the fanbase, which is something they need right now.  I am not saying that's a good reason alone to hire Peyton, it's not a good reason to hire anyone for anything alone but I do think it might factor into his decision. 

Except Peyton isn't going to put up with Irsay tweeting etc. he would want full control I really don't see Jimbo giving that up its one thing when it was Polian its another when it was the guy you fired to begin with. I find it hard to believe Irsay would ask Manning to return when he wanted him gone to begin with. He would have to admit he was wrong about Pagano/Grigson I don't see him doing that so easily.

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Except Peyton isn't going to put up with Irsay tweeting etc. he would want full control I really don't see Jimbo giving that up its one thing when it was Polian its another when it was the guy you fired to begin with. I find it hard to believe Irsay would ask Manning to return when he wanted him gone to begin with. He would have to admit he was wrong about Pagano/Grigson I don't see him doing that so easily.

Are you basing any of this on factual evidence or just giving your opinion? No GM is going to tell an owner what to do. 

On December 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions before going to the broncos. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

The same couldve been said for elway though. Elway had zero experience running a team, or business or making any kind of organizational decisions. Peyton can adjust a bad oline and can read defenses like a book. Not to mention a better qb than elway. 

Id have this man as gm over grigson ANYDAY so why are you arguing against it?!

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Why would you find it hard to believe?  Do you think Manning and Irsay hate each other? Rumor is this all started with a 5 to 6 hour conversation at st elmos the weekend of the reunion.  I don't think Irsay ever wanted Manning gone, but the circumstances made it that way.  Why wouldn't Irsay want Manning to come back?  The guy is a legend around here and his presence in the organization would be a positive imo. Irsay is having a statue made of him, i think Irsay would love to have him back.  I also think Irsay would kick Grigson and Pagano out the door immediately if the guy or guys he wants are available. It's not like by keeping the 2 on board that the majority of people don't already know it's a mistake. 

21 minutes ago, CF4L said:

If Polian couldn't stop Irsay from tweeting Peyton won't either.  Irsay still owns the team and Peyton will respect that if he's the GM.  When have you ever known Peyton not to respect a power structure?  

Irsay didn't want to get ride of Peyton anymore than Peyton wanted out of here it was circumstances that lead to it.  Both have acknowledged it.  Both have also made up and that has been reported.  If Peyton really had hard feelings for Irsay he wouldn't have returned for a retirement presser here.  

As for Irsay admitting he was wrong Pagano and Grigson that's the big question that we just don't know.  Clearly if he's not willing to do that talking about hiring Peyton Manning is moot.  In order to entertain that idea people are clearly working under the idea he would be willing to admit he made a mistake with them.  If he's not they will be back that's simple.

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

Why would you find it hard to believe?  Do you think Manning and Irsay hate each other? Rumor is this all started with a 5 to 6 hour conversation at st elmos the weekend of the reunion.  I don't think Irsay ever wanted Manning gone, but the circumstances made it that way.  Why wouldn't Irsay want Manning to come back?  The guy is a legend around here and his presence in the organization would be a positive imo. Irsay is having a statue made of him, i think Irsay would love to have him back.  I also think Irsay would kick Grigson and Pagano out the door immediately if the guy or guys he wants are available. It's not like by keeping the 2 on board that the majority of people don't already know it's a mistake. 

Agreed. The thing that annoys me the most is when fans from 31 other teams say irsay wanted peyton gone. No! You just cant have a qb of lucks caliber learn in the shadow of peyton. Second, luck knew his potential and he wasnt going to wait 3-4 years to start. They wanted luck to build his own legacy without peytons shadow.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He basically predicted the debacle that was the Colts '15 season, verbatim, aside from the Luck injury. Like, all of it. The rift between Pagano and Grigson in particular, he laid that out there weeks before anyone else reported it.

And I get it, initially I hated him too. But I've hate-followed him on Twitter for a few years now, and I gotta say, he's right A LOT more than he's wrong, especially with matters pertaining to the Colts.

Wells also predicted the Jags would compete and the Browns would no longer be pushovers.  He said Irsay had the ability to stop RFRA but didn't. I believe A.Q. Shipley has been one of his sources -- a guy with an obvious ax to grind that also has links to the organization.  Wells is a stooge.

35 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Irsay is pretty tame on Twitter since his drug arrest and suspension.

8 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Manning reportedly is in Indy tonight. Could just be for the Polian ring of honor ceremony though.

He must have left immediately following the Music City Bowl in Nashville if he's in Indy tonighy. Not that its far away from Indy but PM was at the game today. Hopefully he will be at the Ring of Honor ceremony. Cant imagine him not being there for the guy that brought him to Indy. 

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

The same couldve been said for elway though. Elway had zero experience running a team, or business or making any kind of organizational decisions.

None of this is true.

Peyton can adjust a bad oline and can read defenses like a book. Not to mention a better qb than elway. 

Do we want him to be the QB, or the GM?

Because he has zero experience.

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

The same couldve been said for elway though. Elway had zero experience running a team, or business or making any kind of organizational decisions. Peyton can adjust a bad oline and can read defenses like a book. Not to mention a better qb than elway. 

You don't know much about John Elway it would appear.  Perhaps a Google search before posting would help

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

As Superman has noted,  nothing of what you wrote about Elway is true.

Elways has owned a string of car dealerships in Denver and So. California.    He sold some of them to Auto Nation for more than $80 Million.     He still owns other card dealerships.     He owns a couple of high end steak houses in the greater denver area.    

And.....      AND....

He owned and operated an indoor area football franchise for about 5 years.    He called it his graduate school of how to run a football franchise.    He learned on the job and made mistakes out of the public eye.    Said it's been invaluable to his great success with Denver.

But, don't take my word for it.....      here is Elways wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elway

By the way,  one internet story I saw pegged Elway's net worth at nearly $150 Million.    I assure you that wasn't from football.    He played before athletes made huge money.    He earned a lot of that as a successful businessman. 

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

I find it comical people make assumptions about other people whom they have never met.    This post is full of assumptions you made based on Lord knows what.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Elways has owned a string of car dealerships in Denver and So. California.    He sold some of them to Auto Nation for more than $80 Million.     He still owns other card dealerships.     He owns a couple of high end steak houses in the greater denver area.    

And.....      AND....

He owned and operated an indoor area football franchise for about 5 years.    He called it his graduate school of how to run a football franchise.    He learned on the job and made mistakes out of the public eye.    Said it's been invaluable to his great success with Denver.

By the way,  one internet story I saw pegged Elway's net worth at nearly $150 Million.    I assure you that wasn't from football.    He played before athletes made huge money.    He earned a lot of that as a successful businessman. 

Who ever thought that being a success in the business world would translate to knowing which FA's to sign and who to draft?

I guess in 4 OR 8 years from now the Colts should go after Trump hard to be our GM.... Lol

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And.....      AND....

I highly doubt elway has any say in those businesses. They just asked for his permission to use his name as a brand. I live near a john elway dealer. Second, they said peyton had no business experience and he owns part of papa johns chains in denver. Hes the sheriff he knows what hes doing when he drafts and how to look for talent.

52 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

I highly doubt elway has any say in those businesses. They just asked for his permission to use his name as a brand. I live near a john elway dealer. Second, they said peyton had no business experience and he owns part of papa johns chains in denver. Hes the sheriff he knows what hes doing when he drafts and how to look for talent.

Believe what you will.      But there's no denying that Elway owned and ran the indoor arena football team in Denver and learned how to run a professional sports team and it set him up to run the Broncos.

I would personally like PM as an offensive quality control coach or some made up title to get him in the building. Again, i doubt he would be back in football in just one year of retirement. Still i can dream the rumors are from something tangible happening, rather than him being here for Bill Polians ceremony.