Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

He accurately reported

Not really. He said something that turned out to be true, but between JMV's 'prediction' and the outcome, Manning wound up having another, more serious surgery that no one was sure he would have. That was basically the definition of throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

You know. I don't mind it at all. I would love it. I think Manning would and Luck together would lure free agents. Manning would surround Luck with what he was missing in his days in Indy. He knows if he would have had a defense, he would have won 3+ superbowls. He won't let Luck suffer. I think Irsay would also let Manning help decide on who the head coach would be. I don't see Irsay firing Grigson. But would be cool to have Manning back with the Colts! 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

You know. I don't mind it at all. I would love it. I think Manning would and Luck together would lure free agents. Manning would surround Luck with what he was missing in his days in Indy. He knows if he would have had a defense, he would have won 3+ superbowls. He won't let Luck suffer. I think Irsay would also let Manning help decide on who the head coach would be. I don't see Irsay firing Grigson. But would be cool to have Manning back with the Colts! 

Money lures free agents.

Manning might want to surround Luck with a defense and OL, but he has no experience identifying and selecting talent. He's never been in a draft room, let alone set a draft board. 

I have no problem with Manning joining the Colts in some capacity, but he'd be nothing more than a figurehead. If Irsay handed Manning any kind of control over the team, it would be a serious mistake, IMO. I don't think this is a serious consideration on Irsay's part.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would hate it. Peyton Manning has zero experience running a team, or a business, or making any kind of organizational decisions. Make a role for him in the front office, let him learn the business, and maybe he'll be GM material in the future.

Exactly if we change GM's don't go with someone that knows even less then Grigson did when he started. I'd love giving him another job with us tho like you said.

Just now, Superman said:

Money lures free agents.

Manning might want to surround Luck with a defense and OL, but he has no experience identifying and selecting talent. He's never been in a draft room, let alone set a draft board. 

I have no problem with Manning joining the Colts in some capacity, but he'd be nothing more than a figurehead. If Irsay handed Manning any kind of control over the team, it would be a serious mistake, IMO. I don't think this is a serious consideration on Irsay's part.

Elway has turned out to be quite the GM hasn't he? I'm not saying Manning would be great from the start. But I don't think he would make any real bad decisions. I think as a new GM with no experience, you use the help of those around you. Surround yourself with a good assistant GM, Director of Player personnel, etc.  I mean I can't say you're wrong cause we both have no clue how Manning would be as a GM. I'm also not saying there isn't better options out there. I'm just not opposed to having Manning as our GM if Grigson is fired. 

I may be a fool for saying this because Peyton hasn't had any GM experience but I would like it. He has a very high Football IQ and is the biggest sports icon this city has ever had. Elway has succeeded in Denver, so maybe Peyton could in Indy? Peyton is very Football smart and has been around the game all of his life so it could translate into building a great team, I say it could, not sure.

1 minute ago, GwinnettColt said:

Anything is possible but would doubt that he wants to do it.

It could go either way.  Elway had never been a GM....before he was a GM and he's done well, though it pains me to admit it.  He brought in the right coaching staff and players to get it done.

The bolded is not really true. Elway had a ton of experience in business, he owned and ran an AFL team for a decade, and was eventually chairman of the AFL executive committee. Even when he joined the Broncos, he worked his way into the GM spot; Brian Xanders was the actual GM for several years. Fourteen years between his retirement and his becoming GM in Denver. He understands business, including sports business, and he spent a lot of time learning the business side of the NFL. He didn't just get bored, wake up and decide "I think I'll be a GM today." 

Let Peyton work his way into a front office role, if he actually wants it. Can't just slap the title on him and let him fumble his way through it.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

The bolded is not really true. Elway had a ton of experience in business, he owned and ran an AFL team for a decade, and was eventually chairman of the AFL executive committee. Even when he joined the Broncos, he worked his way into the GM spot; Brian Xanders was the actual GM for several years. Fourteen years between his retirement and his becoming GM in Denver. He understands business, including sports business, and he spent a lot of time learning the business side of the NFL. He didn't just get bored, wake up and decide "I think I'll be a GM today." 

Let Peyton work his way into a front office role, if he actually wants it. Can't just slap the title on him and let him fumble his way through it.

You're correct.  I did forget the ties to the AFL.  

While Peyton has some business experience with his franchises, he doesn't have as much as Elway.  

My concerns would be:

1) Can he recognize talent in college players and FA?

2) Would he pick the right number-crunchers for financial issues?

3) Can he put the right coaching staff in place?

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Elway has turned out to be quite the GM hasn't he? I'm not saying Manning would be great from the start. But I don't think he would make any real bad decisions. I think as a new GM with no experience, you use the help of those around you. Surround yourself with a good assistant GM, Director of Player personnel, etc.  I mean I can't say you're wrong cause we both have no clue how Manning would be as a GM. I'm also not saying there isn't better options out there. I'm just not opposed to having Manning as our GM if Grigson is fired. 

Elway went out and got business experience and sports business experience before joining the Broncos. When he did join the Broncos, he wasn't GM, he was VP of Football Ops, with a GM running the day to day for two years. 

The Colts VP of Ops is Jimmy Raye. He works under Grigson. Mike Bleum is Director of Football Administration; he runs the cap, and other things. I would put a desk in Bleum's office for Manning, start him there, learning the business/cap stuff. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. He said something that turned out to be true, but between JMV's 'prediction' and the outcome, Manning wound up having another, more serious surgery that no one was sure he would have. That was basically the definition of throwing something at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

I listened very closely to his show back then.  JMV clearly stated he had a source within the organization telling him the severity of Manning's health, that another procedure was likely, and that it was unlikely Manning would play in 2011.  He didn't make anything up, hoping it would stick.

6 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

I listened very closely to his show back then.  JMV clearly stated he had a source within the organization telling him the severity of Manning's health, that another procedure was likely, and that it was unlikely Manning would play in 2011.  He didn't make anything up, hoping it would stick.

I didn't remember it that way, but cool deal. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Elway went out and got business experience and sports business experience before joining the Broncos. When he did join the Broncos, he wasn't GM, he was VP of Football Ops, with a GM running the day to day for two years. 

The Colts VP of Ops is Jimmy Raye. He works under Grigson. Mike Bleum is Director of Football Administration; he runs the cap, and other things. I would put a desk in Bleum's office for Manning, start him there, learning the business/cap stuff. 

I feel like Peyton is either hired as GM or he won't want the job at all. I doubt he is even interested in being one right now honestly. I don't see Peyton wanting to sit beneath someone like Mike Bleum for two or three years. He is too competitive and wants to be at the top. But maybe. I wouldn't be against it.

As a Colts fan that enjoys cheering and supporting the franchise, I would love it. Indy's biggest sport icon and arguably the GOAT coming back to the franchise, and instead of leading from the field, leading from the

offices? Sign me up. That would be so fun and exciting not gonna lie. 

But as a Colts fan that wants to see the team win? Nah. At least not yet. He's got no experience as many have stated. Yes Peyton has one of, if not the best football IQ in the biz, but reading defenses is different than evaluating talent, managing salaries, hiring coaches, and what not. He needs to know what he's doing before being given the job.

I'm not saying no forever. Just not now. You can't just point at Elway and say Peyton is gonna be similar. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah, too many people on here are fanboys and nostalgic and forgetting about these things. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So Grigson didn't either he was a scout. Peyton is very intelligent and knows the game pretty well. So give him a chance. 

Yeah I heard this and I'll believe it when it actually happens and I highly doubt it will for a variety of reasons.

You don't think the Vols want him back in some capacity? He turned them down

He turned down various other opportunities as well with Network TV etc. yet he wants to return to the team that kicked him to the curb? I highly doubt it.

JMV also said that Manning may want a year to prepare before taking a job so what we would stick with Pagano/Grigson for another year?! Really? I rather not bother with Manning if that's the case. What if he changes his mind and opts to not do it or goes to the Titans or Saints that would offer him possible ownership(something Irsay will not give him)

He also doesn't even live here anymore he lives in Denver I don't see him moving back here.

Being a GM is a full time job and his kids are small I don't think he would give up the chance to watch them grow up for a job where if he didn't deliver an SB within 2 years people here would turn on him. Why ruin that goodwill when he could just make dopey commercials and raise his kids.

Could it happen? Anything is possible but I really doubt it I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo had the local media put it out there to get a reaction from Peyton about this. 

I wouldn't love it, but what the hell, guys with years of experience working their way up the ladder turn out to be horrible.  He would obviously need people surrounding him that have expertise in certain aspects of the job, but I wouldn't be surprised he he could identify the right talent as far as players and coaches.....and that's at the core of the job.

or maybe I loathe Grigson to the extent that I'm willing to accept anyone at this point lol

Peyton Manning could

a. QB coach if he wants to get involved in coaching...then advance to OC...then HC. I would 100% love that if that is what he wants.

b. Start as a VP of player personnel or operations and learn the ropes before taking on a GM Role.

c. Buy the Colts from Irsay and be acting President and CEO. ( Iknow this won't happen but a guy can dream)

d. Become our backup qb for the inevitable 1-4 games Luck gets hurt each year behind our OL and help mentor Andrew.

Any of the 4 I'd support lol. Not jumping into any immediate OC/HC/GM role right away though.

25 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

So Grigson didn't either he was a scout. Peyton is very intelligent and knows the game pretty well. So give him a chance. 

First, Grigson's years as a scout are experience that Peyton doesn't have, as he's never scouted players. Grigson was even an assistant coach for a season.

Second, your post is inaccurate. Grigson was an ascending scout for 8 years. In 2006, he became Director of College Scouting, and in 2010 he became Director of Personnel. He worked in a lot of front offices, went to a lot of combines and pro days, conducted a lot of workouts and tryouts, sat in on a lot of pre-draft meetings, helped set a lot of boards, and was in a lot of draft rooms. He had 14 years of experience in personnel prior to becoming the Colts GM, including 6 years in the front office for the Eagles.

I'm all for giving Manning a chance. I actually think he'd make a great GM, if he wanted to go down that path. As you said, he's intelligent, knows the game, and has as great a work ethic as anyone. But all those things were true of Matt Millen, who also became GM with zero experience.

Right now, he has close to zero experience in this capacity, and is not qualified to run an entire program. At best, he'd be a figurehead taking credit for the work of others; at worst, he'd actually try to do the job without the experience, and be bad at it.

Like I said, add him to the program, let him learn the ropes, and eventually he can step into the main job. But it would be a mistake to just hand it to him when he has zero experience in business or sports personnel. 

22 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I wouldn't love it, but what the hell, guys with years of experience working their way up the ladder turn out to be horrible.  He would obviously need people surrounding him that have expertise in certain aspects of the job, but I wouldn't be surprised he he could identify the right talent as far as players and coaches.....and that's at the core of the job.

or maybe I loathe Grigson to the extent that I'm willing to accept anyone at this point lol

That's the point I've definitely reached I just want him gone honestly lol

First, if Peyton works for an NFL team it will not be as a coach (especially a coordinator or position coach), he will not be an assistant in the front office, etc. It will be to have Bill Polian/John Elway type of authority with a team. Guys of Peyton's stature (usually) do not take the traditional path of paying their dues before becoming in charge of a team.

I can see Irsay being interested/exploring having Peyton Manning as the President/VP Football of the team. I believe the talk that JMV is reporting is real.

I have several thoughts on the possibility of Peyton in charge of the Colts.

- None of us have any idea if Peyton would be good/is ready to be a President/GM. The only person who is in a position to make an educated decision on this is Jim Irsay or whoever would interview Peyton for a potential role.

- Experience is overrated. Experienced coaches/front office people from Patriots, and other successful organizations, often experience failure.

- Peyton would, imo, be involved in every aspect. He would heavily influence the coaching staff. There were reported conflicts of that before with Grigson although this situation would be different. Peyton would hire the coach and there would never be any question who is the decision maker if Peyton Manning is part of your organization.

- Culture. One thing I think Peyton would bring is a culture that demands the very best from people. There would be accountability with him. I get the impression, this is based on my impression and I am no way trying to say it is for certain, that the culture of this team is lacking. I think Peyton would help with this.

Who knows if Peyton wants to come back to the Colts. I can easily see him preferring to work for another organization. It would be easier for him, in some ways, to run another team where he isn't an icon from playing.

It's an interesting scenario but one that I do not expect to happen.