Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

on JMV today / Peyton Manning rumors (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

5 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

IMO..he couldn't be any worse then Grigson, let's be honest. 

He definitely could be worse. 49/80 wins is above average. Or would you be judging his success on goofy smiles and funny commercials? In terms of regular season wins, Grigson is probably top 10, if not higher. Definitely very easy to be worse than that.....

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

He definitely could be worse. 49/80 wins is above average. Or would you be judging his success on goofy smiles and funny commercials? In terms of regular season wins, Grigson is probably top 10, if not higher. Definitely very easy to be worse than that.....

I might add that Grigs "paid his dues" so to speak.  He was in scouting, then in the Eagles front office learning the ropes.  It wasn't like Irsay plucked him out of the D-League and said "Here you go, the GM is yours".  He at least earned that shot, even though it hasn't really worked out the last few years.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Money lures free agents.

Manning might want to surround Luck with a defense and OL, but he has no experience identifying and selecting talent. He's never been in a draft room, let alone set a draft board. 

I have no problem with Manning joining the Colts in some capacity, but he'd be nothing more than a figurehead. If Irsay handed Manning any kind of control over the team, it would be a serious mistake, IMO. I don't think this is a serious consideration on Irsay's part.

That (money lures free agents) is what most people think. In reality, there is much more to it. After a player gets to a certain level of pay (felt-fair pay level), team culture, potential, and playoff opportunities kick in. If these other criteria aren't present, players will ask for much more money and the GM will have to overpay for talent. Sound familiar?  Players and their agents aren't dumb.

I would rather have Peyton in a figure head position as opposed to GM. Let him learn the ropes from a GM if ultimately he wants to go that direction and "someday" step in. We have lived the last 4 years seeing what a first time GM, and Coach can do, and this year we tried (although I don't know why) a DC with no experience....lets get some experience up in here somewhere anywhere.......

I'd be all for it honestly. I think the link has been posted but here's the full quote from Bill Polian:

“I believe he could very quickly fill the role that John Elway fills with the Broncos,” Polian said. “The reason I say that is, during our 14 years together in Indianapolis, he would often discuss with me prospects coming out in the draft, SEC players he’d seen, players he’d seen in other parts of the country. He pays close attention to the rosters of the other players in the league, with specific attention to the AFC.

“He knew the strengths and weaknesses of every player on every defense in the AFC and many on offense, because he met them and got to know them at the Pro Bowl and soaked up information. He is a football nerd, as am I. He’s more than prepared to do that job.”

“All he would need would be a brief tutorial on the league rules and things like the general terms of trades and contract language — of which he’s also very familiar, because of his own contract,” Polian said. “He’s well-prepared to do that. He could step right from the playing field into a role like that, because he’s ready. I don’t know that he will, but if someone wanted him to do it, he would be ready immediately to do it.”

29 minutes ago, Restored said:

I'd be all for it honestly. I think the link has been posted but here's the full quote from Bill Polian:

“I believe he could very quickly fill the role that John Elway fills with the Broncos,” Polian said. “The reason I say that is, during our 14 years together in Indianapolis, he would often discuss with me prospects coming out in the draft, SEC players he’d seen, players he’d seen in other parts of the country. He pays close attention to the rosters of the other players in the league, with specific attention to the AFC.

“He knew the strengths and weaknesses of every player on every defense in the AFC and many on offense, because he met them and got to know them at the Pro Bowl and soaked up information. He is a football nerd, as am I. He’s more than prepared to do that job.”

“All he would need would be a brief tutorial on the league rules and things like the general terms of trades and contract language — of which he’s also very familiar, because of his own contract,” Polian said. “He’s well-prepared to do that. He could step right from the playing field into a role like that, because he’s ready. I don’t know that he will, but if someone wanted him to do it, he would be ready immediately to do it.”

This is what I was referring to when I stated I thought he could do it.  Comments like this, as well as others, who've been around him, behind the scenes, and know what he is capable of.  I tend to agree with comments made from this HOF GM.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Manning as GM would be the best thing to ever happen to this franchise.

What are you basing that on?  I think it has the potential to go either way.   I am a HUGE Peyton Manning fan,  but I have no way of knowing if he would be a good gm

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing that on?  I think it has the potential to go either way.   I am a HUGE Peyton Manning fan,  but I have no way of knowing if he would be a good gm

If I may.....  we know he has incredible football IQ,  he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, high honors from College,  he's highly intelligent and he's a people person.  He's also a quick study.  Like Elway, he would probably do well getting players from Free Agency, (I mean, who wouldn't want to come play for a man with the intensity and drive to build a championship team?)  And so on......

I think having Peyton on board here, no matter what the capacity, would be great for us.  JMO.

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

If I may.....  we know he has incredible football IQ,  he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, high honors from College,  he's highly intelligent and he's a people person.  He's also a quick study.  Like Elway, he would probably do well getting players from Free Agency, (I mean, who wouldn't want to come play for a man with the intensity and drive to build a championship team?)  And so on......

I think having Peyton on board here, no matter what the capacity, would be great for us.  JMO.

I would just hate to see him under perform and have to be fired.  

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

And on top of that, he is a perfectionist. That can be an issue in some parts of life, but I don't see it as a hindrance for a role in the front office. 

But I don't understand why we all assume that Peyton wants to be a GM? Why not an OC + assistant to the HC? Wasn't he basically the general of the Offense in his later years here? He would probably outsmart most OC's that he would hire as a GM anyway. :td:

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would just hate to see him under perform and have to be fired.  

I get that Jvan.  Neither would I.  But why assume he'd fail?   WHAT IF...   He's fantastic at it...???

11 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

And on top of that, he is a perfectionist. That can be an issue in some parts of life, but I don't see it as a hindrance for a role in the front office. 

But I don't understand why we all assume that Peyton wants to be a GM? Why not an OC + assistant to the HC? Wasn't he basically the general of the Offense in his later years here? He would probably outsmart most OC's that he would hire as a GM anyway. :td:

Agree.  I am not sure he would even want this.   That is why I said, I think it would be great to have him on board, at any capacity,  not necessarily as GM,  (right away, anyway).

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Let the record reflect that I did ask just that.

My best guess is the answer is Jim Irsay himself.  Named GM of the Colts at the age of 24.  Jim's major in college wasn't even business related, it was in something like media or journalism.  Now Jim did work in ticket sales and public relations, and surely other areas, so he was working for the Colts from 82 until named the GM in 84.  But that's as close as I could come to finding an answer. 

There were dark years during his time as GM.  But he didn't do as poorly as I thought he would, and was better than his predecessor - those last years in Baltimore were horrible teams. 

What scares me about the above is, I wonder if Jim figures since he could do it, surely Peyton could.  

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I might add that Grigs "paid his dues" so to speak.  He was in scouting, then in the Eagles front office learning the ropes.  It wasn't like Irsay plucked him out of the D-League and said "Here you go, the GM is yours".  He at least earned that shot, even though it hasn't really worked out the last few years.

Not that I want Manning, but John Elway has shown that its possible to get plucked from stardom and put into GMing and being successful.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would hate him to be in a position that he may need to be fired from in a few years.  I think he could learn to be a good GM,  but what GM other than Ozzie has been with the same team for more than a decade?

Just thinking again.  Irsay would never really have to fire him.  If Manning stunk after a few years on the job, hire smart underlings to make the decisions and let Peyton be the ex-player figurehead GM.  Not saying that's the way it is in Baltimore.....

Just now, DougDew said:

Just thinking again.  Irsay would never really have to fire him.  If Manning stunk, hire smart underlings to make the decisions and let Peyton be the ex-player figurehead GM.  Not saying that's the way it is in Baltimore.....

What would be the point of making him a figure head gm?

Bringing Manning into your organization, in some capacity, is a lot like drafting for BPA.  He is a football mind and leadership talent that you simply want to have on your team.  Whatever the right role is will emerge over time.  I'd love for that to be in the Colts Org.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What would be the point of making him a figure head gm?

Not as a basis for going into the decision to hire him.  Just saying it might be a way to avoid firing him.  I think there is benefit to public relations, media coverage, and spreading a national fan base if Manning was GM rather than Grigson....or any other relatively obscure name.

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

I am leaning towards this line of thinking. In any orginazation the one with a crazy good work ethic goes a long way in life, and gains respect easier than most. 

I understand peyton manning has no front office experience, but if anyone without such experience could be a success it would be Peyton. I mean we saw the guy bring this organization to heights that some never thought possible. I highly doubt without the man that dungy or polian would have a ring right now (supposed HOFs right?). 

Peyton Manning brings his A game, and LOVES the game of football and has the brains to back it up. He has the work ethic to know what players are willing to work hard for the team. He is a perfectionist when it comes to football. 

If it were anyone else I would say no, but Peyton manning has proven that he brings the level of play to much higher standards than anyone else in this league. Just look at what the broncos have done without an old worn out Peyton manning. Do you think that was from brains or bronze? Brains for sure. 

Also, one last point. Gary Brackett wasn't very talented, but he had the heart, and work ethic to beat out other players that had more skill than he. I shouldn't have to point out that someone with talent who doesn't work hard, doesn't go very far. Peyton has proven with 2 organizations that he improves the entire team by his brains alone, and he won't put up with slackers, which this team has all too many of. I say give the guy a shot. 

Those who don't like his lack of experience haven't spent any time with him. I'll take the words of a HOF GM who DID spend every day with him, and run with them over any forum poster. 

17 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I hope Irsay isn't afraid to bring in people from NE cause Caserio needs to be a GM also would love to interview McDaniels as well I'd be happy as can be if we hired the pair together.

I would also look into Duke Tobin. The Bengals haven't had a miss in the draft in ages.

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

All I'm saying is who's to say Peyton doesn't have experience in management?? How do we know he doesn't have a degree in sports management? We don't know what he does in his personal time. All I'm saying is I would trust one of the greatest QB's of all time to be the GM. But I totally understand everyone that's against it, however. And IMO, he CANNOT do any worse then Grigson. Regardless if Grigson "Paid his dues" or not, he still have done a TERRIBLE job putting this team together. With the exception of a few draft picks. I say give Peyton a chance and see what he can do.

Ignoring the fact that there are actually fans advocating for someone to run an organization with absolutely zero experience, I am completely baffled by those that think it couldn't get any worse.

Has anyone watched the Browns play this year? Or the Rams? 49ers? It can absolutely get worse. Some people are so desperate to hate Pagano/Grigson that they lose all perspective. 

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I'm fine with Grigson..Last 2 years he has been pretty good...We need a coach..

29 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

All I'm saying is who's to say Peyton doesn't have experience in management?? How do we know he doesn't have a degree in sports management? We don't know what he does in his personal time. All I'm saying is I would trust one of the greatest QB's of all time to be the GM. But I totally understand everyone that's against it, however. And IMO, he CANNOT do any worse then Grigson. Regardless if Grigson "Paid his dues" or not, he still have done a TERRIBLE job putting this team together. With the exception of a few draft picks. I say give Peyton a chance and see what he can do.

He cannot do any worse? Don't be silly, of course he could. But we will never know.......

22 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm fine with Grigson..Last 2 years he has been pretty good...We need a coach..

U fine with Ryan? Must be looking at 2 different teams he put together. We need a GM,  Coach and new assistants too. Good tough players will help too.

If I was to advocate a change in 2017 I would be 100% on board with Assistant Head Coach and let him get the Offense Organized and let Pagano focus strictly on Defense.  Let him learn on the job and move him to GM in 1 to 3 years depending on how things go.  This would be ideal scenario.  Scenario 2 would be being him in as GM with major support and hire Gruden as HC and see where that gets you.  I guarantee work ethic would change with Manning around to push them as a lead by example.

8 minutes ago, Shepman said:

If I was to advocate a change in 2017 I would be 100% on board with Assistant Head Coach and let him get the Offense Organized and let Pagano focus strictly on Defense.  Let him learn on the job and move him to GM in 1 to 3 years depending on how things go.  This would be ideal scenario.  Scenario 2 would be being him in as GM with major support and hire Gruden as HC and see where that gets you.  I guarantee work ethic would change with Manning around to push them as a lead by example.

If this happens I think Gruden would be his top choice and a dream scenario for us...

I don't know if Manning is a scout though. Elway has shown he has an eye for talent. I haven't even heard Manning's thoughts on draft classes or anything like that. To believe it, I'd need to see a Peyton Manning scouting report or something. I know he can probably scout a QB, but there are other positions on a team as well. Who would he hire to his scouting crew? Who would he want as HC?

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I don't know if Manning is a scout though. Elway has shown he has an eye for talent. I haven't even heard Manning's thoughts on draft classes or anything like that. To believe it, I'd need to see a Peyton Manning scouting report or something. I know he can probably scout a QB, but there are other positions on a team as well. Who would he hire to his scouting crew? Who would he want as HC?

In terms of the scouting questions, see my above post with the quote from Bill Polian.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Have you ever seen a scouting report from any potential gm,  or even an established gm?

Also,  I don't think potential gms lay out the scouts and coaches they would like to hire

9 minutes ago, Restored said:

In terms of the scouting questions, see my above post with the quote from Bill Polian.

Just read it. Interesting stuff. Glad to hear that he's a football guy. That's what being a GM requires. I would still feel more comfortable if he had a situation where he and a HC like Gruden or Shannahan both had say over draft picks.

If you make him GM immediately then you definitely have to make sure he has strong football minds around him. But he couldn't possibly be worse at drafting or FA than Grigson. At least right now he wouldn't have to worry about finding a franchise QB. And with Luck finding receivers isn't hard. All he needs to do is avoid reaching for need and guys like Dorsett. Grigson often fails because he overthinks or gets too enamored with measurables. I think Peyton has been around enough FO people to know what not to do. He knows to build a young nucleus of players first before you bring in old FAs.