Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our best safety?

AKB

Popp's the most savvy of the group. Geathers in the "Enforcer". Butler is playing very well as a safety(he seems more physical) IMO. Green is showing flashes and has room to grow. Overall, we're looking good in the safety department. Definitely enough talent to work with. Maybe Coach can actually make his mark on this team via his DB's getting to a dominant level(one can hope). 

Obviously Adams has the wisdom over Geathers, but if you look at their measurable's i'd take Geathers any day. I think last year is gonna be Adams best year from here on out. I only see decline coming; and, this is from an Adams fan. 

22 hours ago, IinD said:

Old man Adams is still the best back there.

I love how he gotta for the strip EVERY SINGLE TACKLE he makes and it sometimes pays off. 

Great leader as well 

It looked like geathers stripped it from behind to me although I'm sure Adams got the record for it. 

23 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

He's the most complete S we have on the roster. 

To be a complete safety you also have to be able to play the deep ball, which isn't what Geathers is good at. He's a machine in the box and short coverage situations. He's more complete than Adams IMO though.

I ain't going to lie. Butler is no slouch back there at the safety position. Just needs a little bit more weight, but overall hes kind of like Bethea. Like that hit he put on Thielen yesterday. Hit was legal to me but they always punk out and throw the flag if it even looks hard. Butlers instincts are top notch.

Adams is arguably playing the best football of his career right now.

He is a Pro Bowler and he has played like one.  His performance against the Vikings was seriously impressive.

Based on what I have seen on tape, Adams is the best Colts safety right now.  Even when Geathers is healthy, Adams has much better pursuit angles.  And while Geathers is a thumper, Adams can lay the wood in the running game too, and he doesn't miss many open-field tackles. 

12 hours ago, krunk said:

I ain't going to lie. Butler is no slouch back there at the safety position. Just needs a little bit more weight, but overall hes kind of like Bethea. Like that hit he put on Thielen yesterday. Hit was legal to me but they always punk out and throw the flag if it even looks hard. Butlers instincts are top notch.

Not sure why that was a flag? I thought you could tackle as hard as you liked, as long as it was fair? What am I missing....

16 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Not sure why that was a flag? I thought you could tackle as hard as you liked, as long as it was fair? What am I missing....

In today's football, I think that hit gets a flag every time.  I think Butler was supposed to have cuddled him to the ground.

On 12/18/2016 at 3:06 PM, GoColtsWin said:

Popp's the most savvy of the group. Geathers in the "Enforcer". Butler is playing very well as a safety(he seems more physical) IMO. Green is showing flashes and has room to grow. Overall, we're looking good in the safety department. Definitely enough talent to work with. Maybe Coach can actually make his mark on this team via his DB's getting to a dominant level(one can hope). 

Green does show flashes and when he replaces Adams he should be ok because Green plays well when the action is in front of him, it's when he has to turn and run that he really struggles.  He will get better as he gains experience but I don't think it will ever be something he is good at.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

That flag was some straight up nonsense!   That was a textbook solid hit by Butler that jarred the ball loose.  Unbelievable they call him for unecessary roughness on that play.  League is punishing people for playing sound football.

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

That flag was some straight up nonsense!   That was a textbook solid hit by Butler that jarred the ball loose.  Unbelievable they call him for unecessary roughness on that play.  League is punishing people for playing sound football.

At first, in a bang-bang play, it looked like Butler led with his helmet but looking at the replay, it was very much like what Earl Thomas did to Gronk. Yeah, Butler is our future at free safety, IMO.

When are you supposed to hit them anyways, after they've had a chance to secure the ball? There is a fraction of a second when they are defenseless and the same fraction of a second that they use to secure the ball. So, now the defender is supposed to wait, give up the completion and go only for the ball to jarr it loose? :scratch:

Best ball hawking safety is Darius Butler by far but has shown me that he can get physical I liked him as a slot corner but I love him as a free ball hawking safety that can chop sum wood too. 

Clayton Geathers is are best box safety that loves to stay in the box and lay down the law.