Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens Hire Jim Caldwell

KyFan18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, this is a massive demotion for Caldwell. Not only is he not working as a coordinator, but as a position coach? If anything, I think this proves to us (the community) that we were right about Caldwell. Clearly Caldwell didn't get any (good) offers. It's pathetic, really.

He was being looked at as the steelers offensive coordinator... i wouldnt be surprised if he is the ravens OC after the upcoming season, or leaves for another HC job

Where are all those posters who SWORE that Caldwell would never get a SNIFF of a job in the NFL. We're waiting................

I dont remember too many people saying he wouldnt get another NFL job. Alot of people said he probably wouldnt get a HC or even a OC job. Most people acutally were saying he probably would get an assitant or position job.

I talked to some Ravens fans about this, and they're kind of mixed. Since Caldwell was with the Colts as a QB coach since 2001, he might have played a role in Manning's development, so that credential could boost Flacco's mediocre career. On the other hand, no one really knows how much of a direct impact Caldwell had on Manning. I personally thought Tom Moore, or maybe even Archie Manning, was responsible for most of what Manning has learned.

One thing is certain, however... Pagano for Caldwell?... The Colts won that trade.

Little fun fact: Caldwell shares the same birthday as Flacco (Jan 16th). I guess they were meant for each other.

A littler known fact.....They share the same birthday with me. :cake:

So how are you Caldwell haters going to feel when Flacco is progressing and the Colts are struggling? Are you still going to bring up a time-out against the Jets? I'm happy for Caldwell, he took a lot more of blame than he deserved.

That's a pretty bold assumption. If the Colts struggle it's because they are rebuilding, not because they simply canned Caldwell. Colts still struggled under Caldwell coaching last year anyways. That being said I'm Happy for the guy finding a job as a positional coach for the Ravens.

In terms of Flacco, he's a big boy. Regardless who's coaching him we won't be seeing him winning MVPs anytime soon, if ever.

I am glad to see him get another gig...like others I share the thoughts: Great man, players loved him, just not a good HC. It has to be humbling to take a position coach job after being HC of one of the top franchises in the league that he took to a SB just two seasons ago, but Jim is a God-fearing (not trying to be all religious but it's true) man who took it....he could have easily retired with the $$ he made as Cots HC

And the bottom-feeders of the AFC North just keep winning...

The Browns are sitting pretty come draft day, the Bengals have an extremely bright future, the Ravens lose another Quality DC, the Steelers lose a LB coach, and an OC, while continuing to age at key positions for both Pitt and Balt.....

I may have been a year early on my Clev prediction from last year....

Where are all those posters who SWORE that Caldwell would never get a SNIFF of a job in the NFL. We're waiting................

He won't ever sniff a job in the NFL as a head coach. He isn't one now, and he won't ever be again. He was terrible, and should never have been HC for any team to begin with.

As far as general NFL goes, sure. I stated he may land somewhere as a position coach or gatorade boy in some other thread. Some team was bound to be stupid enough to grab him in some fashion, but not stupid enough to make him HC. (He does, like everyone else in the NFL, have connections that can land him a job SOMEwhere.)

"A guy's gotta work."

No but this is a good move.....for the rest of the AFC.

This is awesome , we are ripping away at the two best staffs in the afc to bolster our team and one them gets JC in return. Wow!win,win. JC interviews for the OC position and gets the QB coach gig, guess us fans are not the only ones not in favor of his offense mind set. I am glad he found work though. I think it was the way he constructed Painter that landed him this gig.

Cant wait for Ed Reed next season to say Caldwells play calling is rattled

Um, Caldwell likely won't be doing any play calling seeing as Cam Cameron is still the OC in Baltimore. :P

He cost us a potential playoff win for his *ic Jets timeout, and that had nothing to do with last season. As for last season itself, despite Caldwell being a QB coach, he did not have Curtis Painter prepared at all despite assistance from Manning.

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I do blame Caldwell for everything. Caldwell is the worst head coach the NFL has seen in a long time. No personality, bad clock management, bad QB preparation (ie. with Painter), lack of halftime adjustments, ultra conservative play-calling, failure to execute with multiple pro-bowl players, the list goes on. He was even allowed to hand-pick Larry Coyer. Coyer was his defensive coordinator back in the 1970s. Caldwell was given plenty of ammo to succeed, yet failed miserably.

The fact no team would hire Caldwell as anything but a positional coach attests to what the league thinks of him. It may be easy to dismiss some of Caldwell's issues as Bill Polian's, but if that were the case, why did we not keep Caldwell? Even Jim Irsay must have recognized how bad Caldwell is!

You do realize that if Spagnuolo had acceptd the DC position here that Caldwell would still be the HC right? It was only after Spags turned us down that Caldwell was fired. From what I was able to read about the situation I think Spags declining to come here was the final moment of realization for Grigs and Irsay that we wouldn't be able to get a quality DC to come here if Caldwell was still here and it was only then they made the final call to fire Caldwell.

All that said, I'm certainly happy Caldwell is gone but I'm also happy for him for landing a new job. I'm not sure how much blame Caldwell deserves and how much falls on Polian but I think it's certain that both share in the blame for this past season.

I'm happy for him. He got a job almost immediately, the fact that it was a big step down was to be expected. What do you think happened to Arians when he was fired as OC - to pick one relevant example. I suspect that Calwelll will be an OC (or higher) within 2-3 years.

Good for Jim. Although i absolutely hated his head coaching ability, and it was questionable, he probably is a QB coach, and i believe that Manning made reference to that when he was promoted. He was a good individual, just a little in over his head with HC responsibilities.

Is there anyone else who is getting more excited now for Madden 12 with all the new changes to the Colts roster?

I know this is off topic, but no. I am tired and fed up with the Madden series. Lately it has become a roster update. year in and year out they have called the same stuff something new. I didn't mind that they haven't added any new features because it is not much they can add, but when you give us the same animations, slightly better graphics, and the same CRAPPY franchise and presentation (announcers, halftime shows, etc.) then you have lost me. I am big on presentation and franchise mode. NFL 2k5 got both and it was only 2004. I am not a 2k fanboy, but that game is better than a lot of new maddens. But to conclude before I wrote an essay, until I see better presentation, better physics, more realism, and a better franchise mode, EA will not get another dollar from me for Madden. I have not bought a MAdden game in 3 years and have not missed it. So I guess I am doing something right.

I know this is off topic, but no. I am tired and fed up with the Madden series. Lately it has become a roster update. year in and year out they have called the same stuff something new. I didn't mind that they haven't added any new features because it is not much they can add, but when you give us the same animations, slightly better graphics, and the same CRAPPY franchise and presentation (announcers, halftime shows, etc.) then you have lost me. I am big on presentation and franchise mode. NFL 2k5 got both and it was only 2004. I am not a 2k fanboy, but that game is better than a lot of new maddens. But to conclude before I wrote an essay, until I see better presentation, better physics, more realism, and a better franchise mode, EA will not get another dollar from me for Madden. I have not bought a MAdden game in 3 years and have not missed it. So I guess I am doing something right.

I can't say I disagree....I still have the 09 version...and candidly I meant to say Madden 13 not 12...my bad. My brother has '12 and it's the same commentary...just seems kinda "lazy" they haven't updated it least THAT over 3 releases.

I have never played anything other than Madden so I can't compare it.