Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens Hire Jim Caldwell

KyFan18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are all those posters who SWORE that Caldwell would never get a SNIFF of a job in the NFL. We're waiting................

Frankly, this is a massive demotion for Caldwell. Not only is he not working as a coordinator, but as a position coach? If anything, I think this proves to us (the community) that we were right about Caldwell. Clearly Caldwell didn't get any (good) offers. It's pathetic, really.

Cool. But there were others who said he would not work in the NFL. Thanks for clarifying though. So does this hire surprise you?

Yes and no.

I figured if he were hired that it would be from a member of the Dungy coaching tree, like Pitt/Min.

But considering their OC is Cam Cameron, and Caldwell's under him, that's about in line with where he should stack up.

Note that I cannot offer a ringing endorsement of Cam Cameron.

I talked to some Ravens fans about this, and they're kind of mixed. Since Caldwell was with the Colts as a QB coach since 2001, he might have played a role in Manning's development, so that credential could boost Flacco's mediocre career. On the other hand, no one really knows how much of a direct impact Caldwell had on Manning. I personally thought Tom Moore, or maybe even Archie Manning, was responsible for most of what Manning has learned.

One thing is certain, however... Pagano for Caldwell?... The Colts won that trade.

Little fun fact: Caldwell shares the same birthday as Flacco (Jan 16th). I guess they were meant for each other.

I didn't see him getting an OC or HC job. He isn't that good. QB coach, I guess. Caldwell, might do some good with Flacco in terms of helping to whether criticism. I don't expect much from Caldwell in terms of making Flacco a talent.

Some around here glow about him like he's the reason for Manning becoming the QB he has become.

So i guess 4 MVP's are in Flacco's future.

Some around here glow about him like he's the reason for Manning becoming the QB he has become.

So i guess 4 MVP's are in Flacco's future.

Caldwell didn't hinder Peyton, but I doubt that he made him a 4 time MVP versus just 3 or something. Caldwell could probably be fine with managing one player. I hope he doesn't coach Flacco on clock management.

Hahaha can u imagine him and John Harbaugh standing on the side lines together...

Harbaugh would be yelling at him "why the he// did u call a time out for? It's their ball and the clock was running"

Caldwel, with his arms crossed with the same ole blank look on his face were all so accustomed too. "sorry John. I got nervous"

i was gonna say...now they know our gameplan. But i forgot we cleaned the whole house so it will be wayyyyy different.

Pagano will know more about the Ravens next season then Caldwell about the Colts.

Ravens stayed the same, Colts are changing the whole gameplan...

So how are you Caldwell haters going to feel when Flacco is progressing and the Colts are struggling? Are you still going to bring up a time-out against the Jets? I'm happy for Caldwell, he took a lot more of blame than he deserved.

I think Joe is a good QB already. But you are right he prolly did take to much of the blame, but all head coaches do. Caldwel might be a great position coach, where he can teach and/or coach that position. But to be a head coach you need to be able to motivate and manage the clock, he has proven he could do neither.

Caldwell is a fine position coach by all accounts. Lets take it easy on him. That mess that rolled through Indy last year cannot be fairly levied entirely upon him. His leadership, or lack thereof, was only one of many problems. I think we had an issue with too many chiefs and not enough engines in the FO.

Caldwell is a fine position coach by all accounts. Lets take it easy on him. That mess that rolled through Indy last year cannot be fairly levied entirely upon him. His leadership, or lack thereof, was only one of many problems. I think we had an issue with too many chiefs and not enough engines in the FO.

He cost us a potential playoff win for his *ic Jets timeout, and that had nothing to do with last season. As for last season itself, despite Caldwell being a QB coach, he did not have Curtis Painter prepared at all despite assistance from Manning.

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I do blame Caldwell for everything. Caldwell is the worst head coach the NFL has seen in a long time. No personality, bad clock management, bad QB preparation (ie. with Painter), lack of halftime adjustments, ultra conservative play-calling, failure to execute with multiple pro-bowl players, the list goes on. He was even allowed to hand-pick Larry Coyer. Coyer was his defensive coordinator back in the 1970s. Caldwell was given plenty of ammo to succeed, yet failed miserably.

The fact no team would hire Caldwell as anything but a positional coach attests to what the league thinks of him. It may be easy to dismiss some of Caldwell's issues as Bill Polian's, but if that were the case, why did we not keep Caldwell? Even Jim Irsay must have recognized how bad Caldwell is!

He cost us a potential playoff win for his *ic Jets timeout, and that had nothing to do with last season. As for last season itself, despite Caldwell being a QB coach, he did not have Curtis Painter prepared at all despite assistance from Manning.

I don't mean to be a scrooge, but I do blame Caldwell for everything. Caldwell is the worst head coach the NFL has seen in a long time. No personality, bad clock management, bad QB preparation (ie. with Painter), lack of halftime adjustments, ultra conservative play-calling, failure to execute with multiple pro-bowl players, the list goes on. He was even allowed to hand-pick Larry Coyer. Coyer was his defensive coordinator back in the 1970s. Caldwell was given plenty of ammo to succeed, yet failed miserably.

The fact no team would hire Caldwell as anything but a positional coach attests to what the league thinks of him. It may be easy to dismiss some of Caldwell's issues as Bill Polian's, but if that were the case, why did we not keep Caldwell? Even Jim Irsay must have recognized how bad Caldwell is!

That timeout wasn't a deal closer. Everyone on our roster gets blame for that. The dipstick that ran into their punter, our special teams, I could even point a finger at Manning.

He just wasn't HC material. It is incumbent upon the management in the FO to have recognized this. As a boss, when I retain employees, or otherwise relegate duties upon them and they're wholly unfit, my boss wants to know why they're still working at said task/job.

Newton provided us with the knowledge that crap rolls downhill. Gravity makes it so.

If someone hired me to perform brain surgery and I pretend to know how.....who gets the blame after I lobotomize dozens of people? Shouldn't someone above me have recognized this after I created my first monstrous *?

Where are all those posters who SWORE that Caldwell would never get a SNIFF of a job in the NFL. We're waiting................

\

That was just for the HC job that people said he would never get a chance at and probably won't; He's good coaching at the other positions like coaching the QB's. But he just does not have the leadership as HC, I wish him all the best with Raven's. I think he will do a great job coaching the QBs

My comment was that he will never sniff another head coaching job unless Dungy GIVES him another one.

My comments were similiar. I wrote that I didn't believe another NFL team would be dumb enough to hire him as a head coach and he would be lucky to get any NFL related position. A drop from HC to position coach is a drastic demotion but at least it is a job. I always thought Caldwell was a good, decent man but a terrible HC. I continue to stand by those views..