Patriots trade Jamie Collins to Cleveland

RockThatBlue

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, GusBus24 said:

WHAT THE? Colts should have offered that for him considering our need for LB. 

Have you ever seen the Pats trade or do any type of business with the Colts?  Only players we have ever gotten from them were on waivers/cut.  They don't want to help us get better at anything.

Just now, krunk said:

Have you ever seen the Pats trade or do any type of business with the Colts?  Only players we have ever gotten from them were on waivers/cut.  They don't want to help us get better at anything.

True not like the Browns can get much better haha

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would have gladly taken him for a 3rd. Thats insane.

But the Pats would even stay on the line long enough with the Colts to hear the deal offered.  Now the question is, do you give a second to the Browns for Collins?  Or a 3rd and 5th, or something else?  Browns might trade, but not lose any value.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But the Pats would even stay on the line long enough with the Colts to hear the deal offered.  Now the question is, do you give a second to the Browns for Collins?  Or a 3rd and 5th, or something else?  Browns might trade, but not lose any value.

HELL NO! Maybe offer something for Haden or Wilkerson from the Jets. But in all honesty the Colts need to stay where they are save their picks and restart next season with a new coach and new GM. This team has 100% quit on Pagano. He is now our teams worst enemy at this point

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

How in God's name? was he massively underperforming or are they in some kind of cap hell ? 

I think Collins is ranked in the top 10 by Pro Football Focus, so it can't be a performance issue.  They do have a lot of players to pay soon though, including Hightower and Malcolm Butler

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Apparently the Pats were having issues signing him to a long term deal. Hence why they traded him. I still can't believe only for a 3rd though.

Cleveland is almost certainly going to be drafting 1st overall.  So their 3rd round pick can arguably be a late 2nd rounder.  He was taken 52nd overall in 2013 and the Pats almost got their draft pick back for him.  You draft a guy at 52, have him play outstanding football for a few years while you make it to 2 Super Bowls and win one of those, then you get nearly a full return on your pick.  Belichick being Belichick.

I suggested going after him weeks ago thinking they would do it for the same reason they traded Chandler  Bummer.  But I think Krunks right.  They won't do business with us.  Time to offer Costanzo and a conditional pick to the Broncos for Shane Ray after we pry Thomas from the Browns. 

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Cleveland is almost certainly going to be drafting 1st overall.  So their 3rd round pick can arguably be a late 2nd rounder.  He was taken 52nd overall in 2013 and the Pats almost got their draft pick back for him.  You draft a guy at 52, have him play outstanding football for a few years while you make it to 2 Super Bowls and win one of those, then you get nearly a full return on your pick.  Belichick being Belichick.

Comp 3rd pick though i think.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I suggested going after him weeks ago thinking they would do it for the same reason they traded Chandler  Bummer.  But I think Krunks right.  They won't do business with us.  Time to offer Costanzo and a conditional pick to the Broncos for Shane Ray after we pry Thomas from the Browns. 

That would be a great idea BUT if I were a betting man, the Colts won't make any deals before the deadline. 

If Collins walk and become a free agent at end of season, why would the Browns even pick him up at mid season without thinking of keeping him?  Yeah you're right ColtFan, we should have picked him up given the situation we're in at the moment.  Given Grigs track record, he doesn't make any moves that make sense anyway....That's why the Colts are where they are at the bottom!

48 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is crazy.  Collins is an absolute monster of a linebacker.  A 3rd round pick seems like highway robbery

I read BB like with Chnadler Jones didn't want to pay him his worth after his rookie contract expired at end of this year

Thing is if they kept him and used him and let him go they probably would of got the basically same compensatory pick after he was picked up in free agency

I gave up questioning Bill long ago as he doesn't ever get burned on these deals, head-scratching as they may be. The Pats have (had, I guess) Hightower, Malcolm Butler, and Collins all coming up for new contracts, so it was widely known that one of them wasn't coming back. Take it for what it's worth, but Mike Lombardi (former personnel guy in New England and in Cleveland) says he's not surprised at all. Collins committed the cardinal sin in New England...he wouldn't play ball with his new contract, and he wasn't performing on field. Lombardi said he's been free-styling all year and given up plays...Buffalo busted a 28 yard off tackle run yesterday on their opening drive that Lombardi said was 100% on Collins for going off-script.

3 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

I gave up questioning Bill long ago as he doesn't ever get burned on these deals, head-scratching as they may be. The Pats have (had, I guess) Hightower, Malcolm Butler, and Collins all coming up for new contracts, so it was widely known that one of them wasn't coming back. Take it for what it's worth, but Mike Lombardi (former personnel guy in New England and in Cleveland) says he's not surprised at all. Collins committed the cardinal sin in New England...he wouldn't play ball with his new contract, and he wasn't performing on field. Lombardi said he's been free-styling all year and given up plays...Buffalo busted a 28 yard off tackle run yesterday on their opening drive that Lombardi said was 100% on Collins for going off-script.

I wouldn't say he never gets burned.  He traded a solid pass rusher in Chandler Jones to Arizona for Jon Cooper, and Cooper has already been released

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't say he never gets burned.  He traded a solid pass rusher in Chandler Jones to Arizona for Jon Cooper, and Cooper has already been released

They traded Jones for a 2nd round pick. Cooper was a 'throw in'...they value the 2nd rounder far more than the player.

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That trade was all about the pick. Cooper had not done well and they knew it. No surprise he didn't pan out. But they still got the sweet pick for a player that would've commanded a contract that New England doesn't give out frequently.