Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe the Colts are not that far off

tfunky14

Watching the Broncos vs Chargers game tonight and seeing how well the Chargers are playing. Makes me think the Colts win over them is not as bad as a win over a 1-4 team. Chargers are handling them pretty easy so far. 

Maybe the Colts are not as bad as some on here say. 

Thoughts?

This'll definitely draw all types of responses, but my own opinion is they aren't that good. 

Good to great teams don't have tons of turnover like we'll have next year. You usually knew most of the guys returning year in year out years back, but this roster will be hugely different next year. Most of these guys wouldn't be on the team if we had been better our last few drafts and fa pickups.

Colts need to start playing much better defensively.  That has been the bane of their existence thus far.  Luck is actually putting up good numbers and points but the defense is so bad it more than neutralizes that.  If the Colts could play even average defense they would have a shot at being a decent to good team.  

49 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Watching the Broncos vs Chargers game tonight and seeing how well the Chargers are playing. Makes me think the Colts win over them is not as bad as a win over a 1-4 team. Chargers are handling them pretty easy so far. 

Thoughts?

I think you need to rephrase this.... 

Maybe the Colts aren't as close as we'd like them to be?

Who is going to make up the defense in 17 and 18 and 19?

Most of those guys aren't even on the team right now.

Teams with great defenses, like Denver and Carolina and Minnesota and Houston have tons of quality players on that side of the ball.         We barely have anyone.

We are years away......     Sorry.      :peek:

38 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Division games to me never make sense. You can throw stats and records out the window

That's so true and I always wish I knew why. Even when one team is completely rebuilding and players are totally different year to year they'll play each other close (most times).

Some of my all time favorite and worst games are Jags games.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Seems like it changes week-to-week in the NFL.  A win Sunday night and this place feels a whole lot better.  A loss and it's back to the grind.

Mmmmm. Nice sentiment AZ, but I ain't seen much feel good factor on here this week. Just about every positive thread is taken over by the gloomsters. See, even I'm doing the same thing. It's infectious. Fire the kit man now!

8 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Thoughts?

Image result for funny maybe memes

Chargers were clearly fired up and wanted the win the whole game. You can tell they weren't going to make a bunch of bone head plays like we've been doing. We've got to clean up some things offensively (penalties) and play more no huddle and we can probably fit along the with the best of the offensively. Our defense wasn't anything special last year but you can feel how much Freeman and hell, even Lowery missing make our defense weaker. Going to have to jive up some unique blitz's that we did when we lost Robert Mathis a couple years ago.

10 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Thoughts?

If Joey Bosa wasn't holding out this off-season they would have a different record.

4 hours ago, bigt said:

One thing I want to watch is how the interior of Houston's offensive line plays against our Dlinemen.  I think they are on about the same level as all our dlinemen not named Anderson.  Bad, Bad, Bad.

I don't think our D-Line is that bad... IMO the main problem is the LB's both out and inside. I think they are hurting both the D-Line and the secondary. 

12 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Thoughts?

Joey Bosa didn't play vs the Colts (he looked like the real deal last night), and the guy covering TY was playing with a partially torn ACL during that game. If the Colts were to play them now, there's a pretty solid chance they'd lose.

I will say this though, the past 2 weeks the Broncos defense has been kind of exposed. You can run on them if you're persistent, and they're very susceptible to RBs catching passes out of the backfield.

Yes, the linebackers are the worst positional group by far on the Colts.  Ayers is the only one that shows some ability to stop both the run and defend the pass (on a limited sample size).  With Arthur Jones coming back, as suggested in other threads, maybe the Colts should switch to a 4 - 3 as their base defense.  That way, we would only have 3 crappy linebackers on the field at the same time.  Heck, figure out a way to play a 5 - 2- 4    or a 4 -2 -5 and get one more liabilty off the field.  JK  In all seriousness, I love it when Adams, Geathers, Green, and Davis are in there at the same time.  Just am not happy with the #2 corner situation.  On run downs, I wonder how we would do with Langford, Jones, Parry, Ridegeway, and Anderson in at the same time with Jackson and Ayers or Mcnary as the linebackers.