Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano: Colts look to use tempo more

TKnight24

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Put Allen on the bench, let Doyle start, no subs needed. Why is he making this so HARD???

Always has an excuse. At least it's not the "we need to protect our defense" excuse any more.  I'll believe the Colts start with more tempo when i see it.  The offense is better with a quicker tempo regardless of personnel, it's not that hard to see, except for Pagano.  That's why this team is in such bad shape.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It only took them this long to have the discussion.....if they were watching any part of the last four games, they would have quickly come to realize the offense performs better when they go with quicker tempo/no huddle.

With the right personnel vs. a specific defense group.  Gotta get that match ups right to help.  Also, does every player know the 'check with me' game plan play calls?  (especially rookies?)  Can't have mistakes on a no huddle drive that is moving the chains.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Honestly assuming they have a film that cuts out literally everything but game play they can watch it at most 8 times, right? 

I feel like that's nothing considering you need to go look as every single snap more than that, imo, to game plan correctly.

What I'm saying is that what Pags is saying is just typical nonsense trying to appear like he's immediately fixing our problems. 

He's perplexed, and Luck is annoyed and dissatisfied.  We are 1/4 the way through the season, and nothing has gotten 'cleaned up' or 'fixed'.  We are still dropping easy catches, committing huge drive killing penalties on Offense, committing drive sustaining defensive penalties, failing to tackle well, and lacking intensity at the beginning of games and falling behind.  We fans are fed up with lip service to correct things, but nothing to show for it the next game.

From here, I'm looking at groups...

Coaches - resolve character, ability to adjust and change (or lack of such)

Players - Ability to improve, resolve to minimize mental and physical errors, talent level vs. competition

GM- ability to resist quick fizes and have a real building plan to improve the club to championship level.

Then It can be determined if/who needs to be jettisoned at some point.

I want to see how everybody, from Irsay on down, handles this adversity.  Report card at the end of the year will be telling.

Pagano is clueless. Sure...I support what he is saying about considering utilizing up tempo more throughout the game (It's about time...actually) But not that he said it publicly and on Monday. Now opposing teams have a heads up on what might be coming and have time to try & prepare for it.  Why not just keep your mouth shut and have more of the element of surprise on game day? 

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I heard the same thing and was thinking to myself, "As opposed to no tempo?"

We'll see how they come out vs the Bears.  

3 and out. Bears score td. 3 and out  Bears score td. Fg by adam v Bears score another td down 21 to 3 they go no huddle.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Personally I think we are running the football fine hurry up or no hurry up.   How about we stop turning the freaking football over in these games and gifting people a minimum of 7-10 free points, which is forcing us into pass happy mode to begin with?  We are moving the football fine up until guys decide to start dropping the freaking football and killing drives.  It's all execution related in my eyes.  WTH is a hurry up offense going to do if the WR are dropping the damn football?  No reason Gore shouldn't be getting 100 yards if these fools would quit dropping the football and turning the ball over.  That forces us to get away from what we had planned.  Sure we can add more elements of hurry up, but the real issue that needs to be addressed is these suckers dropping the rock.   Guys who are considered leaders on this team are being sloppy and showing up to pick up their paychecks.  Don't want to do your job?  Get to the bench and put somebody else in who does until you figure out what's most important.   This offense is so good that even when we play like pure crap we still put up 27 points.  Imagine what it will be if guys actually did their job to the level of expectation?  DO YOUR JOB!!

no truer words have ever been spoken.  If we played lights out, penalty free, minimal drops we could put up 40+ a game.  

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Pagano is clueless. Sure...I support what he is saying about considering utilizing up tempo more throughout the game (It's about time...actually) But not that he said it publicly and on Monday. Now opposing teams have a heads up on what might be coming and have time to try & prepare for it.  Why not just keep your mouth shut and have more of the element of surprise on game day? 

I don't know why.  But it's kind of funny how he tries to be secretive during pressers and give generic answers then he goes and opens his mouth about a possible change to the Off 

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

With the right personnel vs. a specific defense group.  Gotta get that match ups right to help.  Also, does every player know the 'check with me' game plan play calls?  (especially rookies?)  Can't have mistakes on a no huddle drive that is moving the chains.

They scored 21 in the 4th quarter yesterday, they're more than capable.

21 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah... And it took comments from Reggie Wayne on Twitter for Chuck to figure this out.

20 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I want him to scream it from a mountaintop.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally I think we are running the football fine hurry up or no hurry up.   How about we stop turning the freaking football over in these games and gifting people a minimum of 7-10 free points, which is forcing us into pass happy mode to begin with?  We are moving the football fine up until guys decide to start dropping the freaking football and killing drives.  It's all execution related in my eyes.  WTH is a hurry up offense going to do if the WR are dropping the damn football?  No reason Gore shouldn't be getting 100 yards if these fools would quit dropping the football and turning the ball over.  That forces us to get away from what we had planned.  Sure we can add more elements of hurry up, but the real issue that needs to be addressed is these suckers dropping the rock.   Guys who are considered leaders on this team are being sloppy and showing up to pick up their paychecks.  Don't want to do your job?  Get to the bench and put somebody else in who does until you figure out what's most important.   This offense is so good that even when we play like pure crap we still put up 27 points.  Imagine what it will be if guys actually did their job to the level of expectation?  DO YOUR JOB!!

Can we post this on the colts fan page on social media and make it go viral? lmao Maybe it'll stick with the players...

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Put Allen on the bench, let Doyle start, no subs needed. Why is he making this so HARD???

And this is coming from chuck the head coach lol like I said he's not head coaching material that's just stupid to even think like that....he's worried about subs but you want the defense to get their subs in too? Smh this is not rocket science 

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

I agree with the up tempo but how long could the offense keep it up?  Even when they've started a game fast on their first possession, it usually stalled in the redzone or ended on penalties.  

Even if no-huddle stalls in the red zone, we have one of the best red zone offenses in the league.  Another great strategy would be to use no-huddle to get to the red zone, then huddle up and go a bit more slowly in the red zone itself.

55 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree, those things are important.  You can't have mistakes like that.  But when the offense is moving the chains and marching the ball down the field, that's all that matters.  It's very simple, and I think Pagano/the offensive coaches are overthinking it.  The offense is moving the ball down the field.  That's all you need to worry about.

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

And this is coming from chuck the head coach lol like I said he's not head coaching material that's just stupid to even think like that....he's worried about subs but you want the defense to get their subs in too? Smh this is not rocket science 

It's not even 8th grade science, it's elementary. And I've been somewhat of a Chuck apologist the past couple of years, but his stubbornness about the no-huddle is the last straw for me.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

You sir deserved to be the new coach. Maybe they invite you for a half-time speech to pump up our team. :applause::thmup:

4 hours ago, krunk said:

To your point, it's east to forget that "Do your job" is powerful when Belichick says it because it actually means "Do your job or else".  Performance accountability is everything.  That may not be our culture.

23 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

To your point, it's east to forget that "Do your job" is powerful when Belichick says it because it actually means "Do your job or else".  Performance accountability is everything.  That may not be our culture.

Exactly! Where is the "Or Else" on this team? Allen has been dropping passes for the longest of time now. Sit his behind on the bench for a couple plays or a quarter and put Swoope in. At least I know he's hungry and not comfortable. If this dude had fear of not playing or fear for losing his position maybe his butt would find a way to concentrate on doing his job at a championship level like I know he can. Maybe we ought to sit Costanzos * on the bench for a quarter and see if Haeg can hold it down. Some of these dudes are too damn comfortable and they need to be challenged for their position. Maybe then these cats will put more emphasis on playing up to their contracts. Obviously we can't and never will bench Luck but this cat has to put more emphasis on not losing the football instead of saying its important after every game and then the very next game its the same thing over again. Do you realize we would be 3-1 right now if we had not turned the ball over in all of our games except Detroit? Take 14 points off the score from Denver if we don't turn the ball over twice and we win. Take 7 turnover points from the Jags and we win. Take 14 turnover points off the Chargers board and we are not sitting there looking like *s trying to comeback in the 4th quarter of a game that should have been a convincing Colts Blowout. Think about it hard! We could be 3-1 right now even with this poor pass rush if we would just simply stop turning over the damn football! And every thing I said about some of the guys on offense goes for the defense. Do your damn job and tackle or get to the bench until you show more concern for the details of your job! This team does not execute well and that's the biggest reason why we currently suck. We need to find a way to emphasize the "Or Else" part of the deal. Some of these dudes are comfortable with bringing sloppy football to the table and I ain't with this mess......

I think Krunk's account has been hacked.

Pagano comes across more and more as a players coach. That wears thin eventually and that will be one of his downfalls.

The continuity Irsay and Co were preaching seems to be regression at this point.

Can't be a fundamentally flawed team that generates penalties every game.

Contract aside, I can't see how you can give him a couple more years to fix things. Some teams rebuild in a couple years, it shouldn't take 5 plus years on a team that has a franchise QB.

BAD teams take this long as they build their tough d lines and solid running games to compensate for having no qb.

We have the most important piece, it shouldn't be this hard.

Chuck is heading towards Peytons' Jim Mora.

Apologies for the rant.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Exactly! Where is the "Or Else" on this team? Allen has been dropping passes for the longest of time now. Sit his behind on the bench for a couple plays or a quarter and put Swoope in. At least I know he's hungry and not comfortable. If this dude had fear of not playing or fear for losing his position maybe his butt would find a way to concentrate on doing his job at a championship level like I know he can. Maybe we ought to sit Costanzos * on the bench for a quarter and see if Haeg can hold it down. Some of these dudes are too damn comfortable and they need to be challenged for their position. Maybe then these cats will put more emphasis on playing up to their contracts. Obviously we can't and never will bench Luck but this cat has to put more emphasis on not losing the football instead of saying its important after every game and then the very next game its the same thing over again. Do you realize we would be 3-1 right now if we had not turned the ball over in all of our games except Detroit? Take 14 points off the score from Denver if we don't turn the ball over twice and we win. Take 7 turnover points from the Jags and we win. Take 14 turnover points off the Chargers board and we are not sitting there looking like *s trying to comeback in the 4th quarter of a game that should have been a convincing Colts Blowout. Think about it hard! We could be 3-1 right now even with this poor pass rush if we would just simply stop turning over the damn football! And every thing I said about some of the guys on offense goes for the defense. Do your damn job and tackle or get to the bench until you show more concern for the details of your job! This team does not execute well and that's the biggest reason why we currently suck. We need to find a way to emphasize the "Or Else" part of the deal. Some of these dudes are comfortable with bringing sloppy football to the table and I ain't with this mess......

I'll never diminish the winning character of Pagano.  It's his voice and heart that is behind the historic turnaround we witnessed 2012 to 2014.  

However, all coaches lose their voice over time.  Human complacency can only hear the same thing so many times.  Very few athletes are actually self-motivated.  It's the primary reason that change occurs in recycling coaches.  

You can tell the frustration is setting in when you see a Colts player take a swipe at another team:

“We’re doing it to ourselves,” defensive end Kendall Langford said. “I mean, turn the film on. A team like Jacksonville, we’re the better team. We feel like we should have come in here, put them away and be happy on our way back to the States. But instead, we let them hang around, got penalties, and what have you. It’s just crazy.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/10/02/insider-sloppy-colts-look-like-losing-team/91329140/

Colts players don't usually say anything bad about an opponent ever.  Kendall just basically called the Jags sorry.    And no Kendall we didn't "Let Them Hang Around". We were losing the entire game, but you are right about the sloppy football bro.

Here's your boy Dwayne Allens take on the game:

Tight end Dwayne Allen, himself a culprit on one of the day’s drops, searched for possible solutions in the losing locker room.

“Maybe we need to tighten up practice,” he said. “Maybe we need to change pregame. We need to do something. Something will be done.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/10/02/insider-sloppy-colts-look-like-losing-team/91329140/

Uh Dwayne I missed the part from you that should have said "I need to do my Damn Job and STOP dropping the Rock!"  "I need to put the onus on my back and take over when I see we are dragging."  No Dwayne you start talking about tightening up in practice and changing pregame.   Come on Bruh!  Didn't you declare yourself to be a top tight end in the NFL?  Let's talk about you being more on point son!

15 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's what he does.  He makes things hard that should be quite simple.  I'm amazed that er still have people on here defending his every action.  

14 hours ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

Maybe some of the resistance is that they would be devolving to the Peyton era.  When he left and they changed over the entire system on both sides they committed (in theory) to a ball control style offense and a more defensive "smash mouth" doctrine .

This would be a step back into the past and somewhat of a surrender to the original plan.

I am just tossing out some possibilities on why they haven't made an obvious adjustment sooner.

This is so typical of this coaching staff - trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  We don't have the personnel for a ball control offense nor a smash mouth D.  

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Here's your boy Dwayne Allens take on the game:

Tight end Dwayne Allen, himself a culprit on one of the day’s drops, searched for possible solutions in the losing locker room.

“Maybe we need to tighten up practice,” he said. “Maybe we need to change pregame. We need to do something. Something will be done.”

Uh Dwayne I missed the part from you that should have said "I need to do my Damn Job and STOP dropping the Rock!"  "I need to put the onus on my back and take over when I see we are dragging."  No Dwayne you start talking about tightening up in practice and changing pregame.   Come on Bruh!  Didn't you declare yourself to be a top tight end in the NFL?  Let's talk about you being more on point son!

Allen not even taking responsibility? My goodness. Guy is dropping passes like DHB out there and he says maybe practice needs to be tighter? How about you catch the damn ball?