Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano: Colts look to use tempo more

TKnight24

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I heard the same thing and was thinking to myself, "As opposed to no tempo?"

We'll see how they come out vs the Bears.  

Yup, pressure is on. Home crowd won't take it easy on them if we come out slow again. I'd imagine the folks in blue will let out some boos

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Put Allen on the bench, let Doyle start, no subs needed. Why is he making this so HARD???

Good grief. Why does it need to be all or nothing, Chuck? You can pick up the pace and still make substitutions. Coaches at the high school level do it every Friday night. I'm so tired of literally everything turning into an excuse.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Put Allen on the bench, let Doyle start, no subs needed. Why is he making this so HARD???

Overthinking it so much.  If the offense is moving the ball down the field, don't mess with it.  You don't need to sub if the offense is flowing.  Let the guys play.

Not only that, but not being able to sub isn't a problem specific to the Colts.  In essence, Pagano is making an argument against a no-huddle offense, not an argument as to why the Colts can't/shouldn't run it.  You could say the same thing about running the no-huddle (eg. you can't sub) during the Peyton years, and we all saw how much success Peyton had with it.  It makes no sense.  What's really sad is I don't think this is a decision made unilaterally by Pagano, which could mean guys like Chud, Schotty, and Philbin feel the same way.  That's kinda sad, if it's the case.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wow...the personnel they're "stuck with" seem to be fine when the no huddle is tearing defenses apart late in the game

18 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Good grief. Why does it need to be all or nothing, Chuck? You can pick up the pace and still make substitutions. Coaches at the high school level do it every Friday night. I'm so tired of literally everything turning into an excuse.

Wait yeah, if I recall I've seen teams go both hurry up/huddle in the same series.......mutiple times....

14 minutes ago, BPindy said:

Wow...the personnel they're "stuck with" seem to be fine when the no huddle is tearing defenses apart late in the game

Of course they tear it up. They're literally BUILT to run the no-huddle. Just look at the personnel, it screams "up-tempo." Cerebral QB with a cannon AND mobility, crazy fast WRs, and a good TE who is an absolute first down machine (Doyle). Even the offensive line plays better when they're in hurry-up. Go figure.

This dude is going to make me crazy trying to run this 1950s ground and pound crap. Like, maybe if we had Dallas' o-line, Ezekiel Elliot, and a rookie QB, then sure, pounding the ball makes sense. But this offense should be passing to set up the run, and putting up points in bunches. How many more losses will it take, seriously?

You'd think he'd be a little more open to the idea since it's about to cost him his job.

With this team as it's currently constructed - with this O-line and defense - the only prayer they have is to get this passing game to an elite level.  Go up-tempo, pass to set up the run, and put constant pressure on the opposing offense.  Turn every game into a bit of a crazy game.  With this O-line and defense, if you attempt to slug it out, you will lose 4 out of 5 games. 

43 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

He said they watched the jags game over and over. I think he was confused because I'm sure he only ever watches "True Grit"

That, The Big Lebowski (for bowling ball references) and episodes of the Brady Bunch that featured Sam the Butcher (Butcher knife references).  

My frustration is that they talk about making changes and they don't make them.

Personally I think we are running the football fine hurry up or no hurry up.   How about we stop turning the freaking football over in these games and gifting people a minimum of 7-10 free points, which is forcing us into pass happy mode to begin with?  We are moving the football fine up until guys decide to start dropping the freaking football and killing drives.  It's all execution related in my eyes.  WTH is a hurry up offense going to do if the WR are dropping the damn football?  No reason Gore shouldn't be getting 100 yards if these fools would quit dropping the football and turning the ball over.  That forces us to get away from what we had planned.  Sure we can add more elements of hurry up, but the real issue that needs to be addressed is these suckers dropping the rock.   Guys who are considered leaders on this team are being sloppy and showing up to pick up their paychecks.  Don't want to do your job?  Get to the bench and put somebody else in who does until you figure out what's most important.   This offense is so good that even when we play like pure crap we still put up 27 points.  Imagine what it will be if guys actually did their job to the level of expectation?  DO YOUR JOB!!

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Of course they tear it up. They're literally BUILT to run the no-huddle. Just look at the personnel, it screams "up-tempo." Cerebral QB with a cannon AND mobility, crazy fast WRs, and a good TE who is an absolute first down machine (Doyle). Even the offensive line plays better when they're in hurry-up. Go figure.

This dude is going to make me crazy trying to run this 1950s ground and pound crap. Like, maybe if we had Dallas' o-line, Ezekiel Elliot, and a rookie QB, then sure, pounding the ball makes sense. But this offense should be passing to set up the run, and putting up points in bunches. How many more losses will it take, seriously?

You'd think he'd be a little more open to the idea since it's about to cost him his job.

This goes back to the two-layered problem we have with Grigson and Chuck.  One, neither is very good at his job, but two, they're also a complete mismatch.  If you want to get the most out of Grigson's players, you need a different coach.  If you want to win Chuck style, you need a different GM. 

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'd like to know just how many times over and over is....

Honestly assuming they have a film that cuts out literally everything but game play they can watch it at most 8 times, right? 

I feel like that's nothing considering you need to go look as every single snap more than that, imo, to game plan correctly.

What I'm saying is that what Pags is saying is just typical nonsense trying to appear like he's immediately fixing our problems. 

Maybe some of the resistance is that they would be devolving to the Peyton era.  When he left and they changed over the entire system on both sides they committed (in theory) to a ball control style offense and a more defensive "smash mouth" doctrine .

This would be a step back into the past and somewhat of a surrender to the original plan.

I am just tossing out some possibilities on why they haven't made an obvious adjustment sooner.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

This goes back to the two-layered problem we have with Grigson and Chuck.  One, neither is very good at his job, but two, they're also a complete mismatch.  If you want to get the most out of Grigson's players, you need a different coach.  If you want to win Chuck style, you need a different GM. 

To the portion in bold: This is a great point!

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

And if you want to have a roster that is complete and a team that is prepared to win each week, you need both guys to be as far away from your franchise as possible

My problem with Chuck is if you want to be a smash mouth run the football type team, why aren't you fully committing to it?  Gore is too old to carry the load himself. Why not get Turbin or Todman some runs through the holes our Oline is creating?  Our Oline is run blocking well. Why not come with more of it?  That's the quickest way for our Oline to gel and by getting another back 7-10 carries you keep Gore fresh for later in the season and you hit the defense with a couple different running styles.  Plus I bet we'll see a hundred yard rusher too. If the right back with a little more burst, hits a couple of those cutback lanes that Gore had, we're talking about big gashes. And notice I didn't mention Ferguson. He shouldn't consistently be getting more carries or snaps than Turbin or Todman or more targets than Dorsett and Doyle.  

31 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

This is not an excuse, stuck with certain personnel? Are you kidding me? Who cares who is on the field if it's working.

Nothing worse than being stuck with the personnel that are moving the chains. 

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It only took them this long to have the discussion.....if they were watching any part of the last four games, they would have quickly come to realize the offense performs better when they go with quicker tempo/no huddle.

I agree with the up tempo but how long could the offense keep it up?  Even when they've started a game fast on their first possession, it usually stalled in the redzone or ended on penalties.