Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive playcalling

VaAllDay757

I see the difference between chud playcall and pep but maybe this will help before it gets worse. I see the offense running alot of plays with long deep routes causing luck to hold the ball longer. Where are the slants, rub routes you know the quick fast routes to get some yards? It doesn't have to be a homerun almost every throw just focus on moving the ball then score

What I don't understand, is why after Turbin has a great run on the TD he damn near never carried the ball again?  Think it would have made sense to have him in on the drive where Luck threw the pick 6. It's a 3 point game right then. Most of the 4th quarter to go.  I think we had Ferguson out there the entire drive...  Why not come with Turbin & Gore and pound the rock?

4 minutes ago, Archangel said:

well here is the question is the play calling or is it luck not reading the defense and audableizing out of a play he was given. I have seen during the game many of times were he would run the ball when denver had 8 or 9 guys in the box, this has me baffled. 

I think that was the game plan....run the clock, limited possessions, keep it close and hopefully pull it out in the end.

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I see the difference between chud playcall and pep but maybe this will help before it gets worse. I see the offense running alot of plays with long deep routes causing luck to hold the ball longer. Where are the slants, rub routes you know the quick fast routes to get some yards? It doesn't have to be a homerun almost every throw just focus on moving the ball then score

We had the fire Pagano thread as well as the one questioning Luck.  Now you have completed the disgruntled fan trifecta with this thread.

The other thing you see is the receivers run their route and then quit on the play, there's not a "scramble route" or guys fighting back to the QB when appropriate.  I like to see every route run hot and no route is over until the play is complete.  When camera's pan wide you see a lot of standing around by receivers after they run their route even when the play isn't dead yet.  Another example of poor route running is the Talib pick.  He simply wanted the ball more than Dorsett who was waiting on it. Dorsett will learn from it I'm sure, but truthfully that's coaching.   To me, these are the nuance items that separate great offensive execution from the ordinary.  We don't play with offensive or defensive exceptionalism, I think we do on special teams.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I think that was the game plan....run the clock, limited possessions, keep it close and hopefully pull it out in the end.

Yes i do understand the running of the clock but I also understand first downs moves the chains. that is what will keep the clock moving. I just do not see him looking at the defense and taking what they give him running the ball for 2 yards when you can pass for 5 yards buy changing a play seems to keep things moving.

4 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

The play calling wasn't the problem. We can't keep making up excuses every time Luck has a bad game. Denver has a great defense. A few times Hilton was open and Luck didn't see him. There was also some batted passes and drops. The offense as a whole was awful. 

Why? We did for Peyton lol.  6 interceptions.....damn Vinny 

5 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

The play calling wasn't the problem. We can't keep making up excuses every time Luck has a bad game. Denver has a great defense. A few times Hilton was open and Luck didn't see him. There was also some batted passes and drops. The offense as a whole was awful. 

luck has a lot of batted passes with his flat ball delivery, no arch on short passes

The Dorsett/Talib play was a mixture of bad. 3rd and long. Plenty of time left in a 3 point game. We should have just run the draw and punted. Dorsett ran a bad route. Talib was standing 20 yards off the line at the first down marker. Dorsett never threatened him enough to make him back pedal or turn. That was easy pickings.  Luck shouldn't have ever thrown it. 

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Why? We did for Peyton lol.  6 interceptions.....damn Vinny 

Peyton was a genius. He was the best at recognizing coverages and making calls at the line of scrimmage. Sure he had his INT's but most of the time he gave us big leads. It seems like were always trailing with Luck and down double digits.

I miss those days when Peyton would score a TD on the 1st play of the game like he did with Dallas Clark against the Dolphins. Luck is a great young QB but he's not Peyton.

Yeah, I find it somewhat puzzling as well. I like what Chud has done with our offense. I like using the tight ends more and the long routes with using Dorsett/Hilton deadly duo. However, it seems as if the offense never comes out with a game plan or special plays to throw the defense off or keep them on their toes or a second or two. The defense seems to gameplan against our match up and if they can pull it off, wonderful. However, the offense seems to think, "We have Andrew Luck, that's good enough, make some plays and see what happens" without any thought about the other team and their strengths or weaknesses to exploit it.

6 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

This^, but with that rush coming at him all game, I can understand. That's a nasty/dirty D. 

Yes they are dirty. That was clearly launching on the play Moncrief got hurt. I understand there are gonna be big hits but he left his feet and launched at Crief. But what does Turbin gotta do to get some more carries?  Why aren't him and Gore sharing the workload to keep them both fresh?  I haven't checked but why is Ferguson seeing more snaps than Turbin?  

6 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Pass catching ability and possibly he's better at blocking than Turbin. 

I'd rather see Turbin in running the ball. He seems to have a little bit of burst. I think he's got potential to break off some big runs. I'd like to see us go with the 3 headed monster backfield. 

20 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Peyton was a genius. He was the best at recognizing coverages and making calls at the line of scrimmage. Sure he had his INT's but most of the time he gave us big leads. It seems like were always trailing with Luck and down double digits.

I miss those days when Peyton would score a TD on the 1st play of the game like he did with Dallas Clark against the Dolphins. Luck is a great young QB but he's not Peyton.

Talk about rose colored glasses.  Took that team 6 yrs to win one playoff game.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

There will be a fine but I'd have liked the 15 yards too. And that would have put Ward one more bad play from being ejected. So we lose a top offensive weapon for the rest of the game and they get a fine days later...  That's a bad trade off. 

Unfortunately those bang bang plays happen ward just came in too fast it wasn't intentional but he will get fined

The defense did all it could to put the offense in position to score points. I think in some instances we were so much in attack mode we were not patient enough to take simple check downs to keep the chains moving. Somewhat opposite of last week. Against that defense sometimes you have to be patient and march the football down the field. Take your shots when available.