Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive playcalling

VaAllDay757

22 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Luck continues to confuse me. One week he's amazing, another week he is lackluster. 

Yes, the skill level between the two defenses he's faced are quite different, but he missed some throws and sometimes ignored the checkdown when nothing was there. Basically reverting to the Luck of the past.

I feel in some areas he pressed a little bit trying to put points on the board and just overall wanting not to go 0-2. Too aggressive at times.

9 hours ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Luck continues to confuse me. One week he's amazing, another week he is lackluster. 

Yes, the skill level between the two defenses he's faced are quite different, but he missed some throws and sometimes ignored the checkdown when nothing was there. Basically reverting to the Luck of the past.

I felt like the offensive playcalling was different yesterday than in the Lions game where there a lot of quick routes being utilized. I don't remember seeing too many short routes being run that Luck just flat out missed except maybe once or twice the whole game. I feel like there should have been plays where there multiple quick routes for Luck to hit. Part of this though is that the Denver defense is really just that good.

I will say in general, I think Luck needs to look to use his legs more. Luck can scamper for 5-6 yards on literally probably 50% of the plays he drops back but he tries to stay in the pocket and make a play -- which normally is good. But I honestly think instead of trying to force it downfield into a receiver who has about a 10% chance to make a play he should be looking more to run and slide for 5-6 yards more often. Chud may even be telling him this for all we know.

The thing with Luck is he is a gunslinger. Sometimes he makes incredible plays because of this mindset and other times he is going to make a really bad one. It is who he is to a certain extent and coaching probably will never completely eliminate it.

13 hours ago, Rally5 said:

The other thing you see is the receivers run their route and then quit on the play, there's not a "scramble route" or guys fighting back to the QB when appropriate.  I like to see every route run hot and no route is over until the play is complete.  When camera's pan wide you see a lot of standing around by receivers after they run their route even when the play isn't dead yet.  Another example of poor route running is the Talib pick.  He simply wanted the ball more than Dorsett who was waiting on it. Dorsett will learn from it I'm sure, but truthfully that's coaching.   To me, these are the nuance items that separate great offensive execution from the ordinary.  We don't play with offensive or defensive exceptionalism, I think we do on special teams.

I agree with the beginning of your post, but the part about Dorsett is just dead wrong.  Dorsett's route was a route and sit in a hole in the zone.  He was open and Luck saw him way too late.  When the ball was thrown how was Dorsett to know Talib was going to cut in front of him?  It was 3rd and very long.  Plus if he attacked the ball it would have put him behind the chains.  As a QB you just can't make that throw that late.  Plain and simple.  Everyone makes excuses for Luck and let's stuff like that slide.  It was a 3pt game before that play.  A guy was open but you saw him too late.  Throw the ball away.  Punt and live to see another drive.  That play was a big reason Luck was 2-5 last year.  The D was leaky but not terrible and Luck forced the issue in close games and made the big mistake that cost us.

At one point Luck was 7-21 with like 89 yards in the 3rd quarter and the Colts were still only 3 points down.  In games like that not turning the ball over is bigger than making a hero play.  Until Luck learns that it's going to be a long, long season.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

I agree with the beginning of your post, but the part about Dorsett is just dead wrong.  Dorsett's route was a route and sit in a hole in the zone.  He was open and Luck saw him way too late.  When the ball was thrown how was Dorsett to know Talib was going to cut in front of him?  It was 3rd and very long.  Plus if he attacked the ball it would have put him behind the chains.  As a QB you just can't make that throw that late.  Plain and simple.  Everyone makes excuses for Luck and let's stuff like that slide.  It was a 3pt game before that play.  A guy was open but you saw him too late.  Throw the ball away.  Punt and live to see another drive.  That play was a big reason Luck was 2-5 last year.  The D was leaky but not terrible and Luck forced the issue in close games and made the big mistake that cost us.

At one point Luck was 7-21 with like 89 yards in the 3rd quarter and the Colts were still only 3 points down.  In games like that not turning the ball over is bigger than making a hero play.  Until Luck learns that it's going to be a long, long season.

I agree