Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson has had FIVE years to build an O-line

Pacergeek

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2016 at 11:43 AM, myic90 said:

I know he's tried, it's just frustrating that it hasn't worked out the way we'd like it to. Especially when looking at the Boys' o-line, 4/5 of whom selected 2011 draft onwards. They pretty much built a dominant oline on the fly.

Yeah, but didn't they do it with primarily mid to high first round picks? 

On 8/28/2016 at 1:28 PM, BProland85 said:

Grigson definitely put effort into improving the OL this draft, so we can't knock him there. And I think most will agree the OL picks he made were all good players.

Indy has just had some really bad luck with their OL after Glenn, Saturday, Diem, etc. left. And obviously Indy has been one of the more plagued teams from injuries. I wonder when the bleeding with stop and when Indy will finally have a healthy season.

All that being said, are there other candidates out there that would do a much better job than Grigson at GM? Absolutely

This made me wonder: Did we have this type of injury history during the Polian/Manning years?  Maybe we did, it just didn't seem like it because we still always seemed to win.  I know we had a top receiver pick that couldn't stay healthy and Bob Sanders killed himself hitting so hard.  What do you guys think? 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather go 1-15 so the Colts could get the best Pass Rusher in the Draft drafting #1, then in Round 2 take the best RB that is available with the 33rd pick. Going 6-10 does us no good LOL. Have to at least win 1 game because going 0-16 would be embarrassing.

and going 1 - 15 wouldnt be embarrassing?... Jesus

Somebody call the bandwagon so that this guy can get on board and then the hell outta here.

17 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

and going 1 - 15 wouldnt be embarrassing?... Jesus

Somebody call the bandwagon so that this guy can get on board and then the hell outta here.

Dude really? You must not read any of my posts I was being beyond sarcastic because we have freakin Trolls on here saying we will suck! I have us going 10-6 and winning the Division and defend our team every day on here everyday more than almost anyone. Where have you been at on Mars?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dude really? You must not read any of my posts I was being beyond sarcastic because we have freakin Trolls on here saying we will suck! I have us going 10-6 and winning the Division and defend our team every team on here everyday more than almost anyone. Where have you been at on Mars?

(Foot inserted into mouth)

I didnt even look to see who posted it.

I think he has done a good job with what he was given.  Most of picks were mid to low, he threw money at free agents who decided to go to other teams (ex. Vasquez), and some of the players who had potential just didn't pan out.  

What I can say is he definitely tried and gave it a good amount of attention.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:14 PM, Jason_S said:

Jesus tapdancing Christ we've seen 3 PRESEASON games of our OL.  

These childish rants are just asinine. Pagano doesn't feel the need to scold his players? You're basing this on what exactly? 

It doesnt matter if its preseason or not if you put luck out there with this oline he will get hurt ,not IF but WHEN! He ( luck )should of had  language in his contract stating if they didnt improve the oline significantly he could opt out and go somewhere where they would protect there franchise qb, If luck gets hurt on the first snap because  one of the ol missed his block whos fault is it? Not lucks, it falls right on Grigsons shoulders for not evaluating the talent pool  well enough. These are his guys he picked or traded for them .

2 minutes ago, basspapaw said:

It doesnt matter if its preseason or not if you put luck out there with this oline he will get hurt ,not IF but WHEN! He ( luck )should of had  language in his contract stating if they didnt improve the oline significantly he could opt out and go somewhere where they would protect there franchise qb, If luck gets hurt on the first snap because  one of the ol missed his block whos fault is it? Not lucks, it falls right on Grigsons shoulders for not evaluating the talent pool  well enough. These are his guys he picked or traded for them .

As someone else has noted about good o-lines and QB's getting hurt......

Take Dallas,  which has the #1 offensive line....   and they have Tony Romo,  who gets hurt no matter whose blocking in front of him.

So,  the idea that Luck is going to get an "out" in his contract is a non-starter.     Never happening.

It's football.     Players get hurt --- period.

Stuff happens.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As someone else has noted about good o-lines and QB's getting hurt......

Take Dallas,  which has the #1 offensive line....   and they have Tony Romo,  who gets hurt no matter whose blocking in front of him.

So,  the idea that Luck is going to get an "out" in his contract is a non-starter.     Never happening.

It's football.     Players get hurt --- period.

Stuff happens.

Odds are he would last a lot longer behind that ol than the colts ol

For Pete's Sake people.  Some of you are acting like this is the Browns.  If 2-14 is just a fluke season, and 8-8 is a bad season, because we usually go 11-5, then we actually have it pretty good.

Of course nobody, including myself, is satisfied if we don't win the Super Bowl, so every single team that doesn't win the Super Bowl has its' share of finger-pointing after the season.

You want to blame Grigson for no SBs, you have to give him credit for an AFC Championship, which he got one step closer to each year since he took over.  The entire draft this year was OLine and Defense.  If he does that again next year, we have a ourselves a contender.  This year is going to be close.  Maybe the most parity I've seen in the league in years.  Every team has something to complain about, especially along the OLine.  While the best OLine in the league lost its' starting QB.

We just need Luck to stay healthy.  11-5 could win our division this year.  Then we see what happens in the playoffs.  :clover:

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

For Pete's Sake people.  Some of you are acting like this is the Browns.  If 2-14 is just a fluke season, and 8-8 is a bad season, because we usually go 11-5, then we actually have it pretty good.

Of course nobody, including myself, is satisfied if we don't win the Super Bowl, so every single team that doesn't win the Super Bowl has its' share of finger-pointing after the season.

You want to blame Grigson for no SBs, you have to give him credit for an AFC Championship, which he got one step closer to each year since he took over.  The entire draft this year was OLine and Defense.  If he does that again next year, we have a ourselves a contender.  This year is going to be close.  Maybe the most parity I've seen in the league in years.  Every team has something to complain about, especially along the OLine.  While the best OLine in the league lost its' starting QB.

We just need Luck to stay healthy.  11-5 could win our division this year.  Then we see what happens in the playoffs.  :clover:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not really correct I dont blame him for no sb I blame him for not having the ability to get competitive players, He has gotten lucky with a couple but for the most part most of his selections or players would not start on the browns. His selections seem to be knee jerk reactions instead of any kind of a thought out process, If I made as many mistakes at my job as he has I would be unemployed.

8 hours ago, basspapaw said:

Not really correct I dont blame him for no sb I blame him for not having the ability to get competitive players, He has gotten lucky with a couple but for the most part most of his selections or players would not start on the browns. His selections seem to be knee jerk reactions instead of any kind of a thought out process, If I made as many mistakes at my job as he has I would be unemployed.

Does your line of work only have 32 positions in the world?

If you truly think his choices in players are nothing but a knee jerk reaction I guess you wasn't paying attention.

He has missed on picks more than we most like but the players taken was picks of need IMO. Those can't be called knee jerk reactions when he has drafted positions of need. Other than the Luck pick (no brainer) Grigson has not had the opportunity to have a high pick in the draft. That in itself tells us that the Colts are not as bad as you believe.

Take a look at the good GMs in the league and you will see that most of those faired no better than Grigson if their first years of starting. You are the one with the knee jerk reaction in reality.

On 8/31/2016 at 10:55 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I have issues with Pagano and Grigson but saying they are the worst in the NFL makes me question your football intelligence. 

Pagano and Grigson aren't the worst, but we have achieved a level of mediocrity! Pagano and Grigson aren't as good as, say, Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown of the Bengals (and Brown has ceded more control to Lewis). Not good. IOW, GM and HC do not seem to be "skill positions" in football. Just let talented players try and cover up your faults and live the good life. As Pagano stated, "They can't eat you." After the Zombie Apocalypse he may find himself wrong.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Does your line of work only have 32 positions in the world?

If you truly think his choices in players are nothing but a knee jerk reaction I guess you wasn't paying attention.

He has missed on picks more than we most like but the players taken was picks of need IMO. Those can't be called knee jerk reactions when he has drafted positions of need. Other than the Luck pick (no brainer) Grigson has not had the opportunity to have a high pick in the draft. That in itself tells us that the Colts are not as bad as you believe.

Take a look at the good GMs in the league and you will see that most of those faired no better than Grigson if their first years of starting. You are the one with the knee jerk reaction in reality.

No I'm a simple factory worker and in reality, in my opinion I do my job better than he does his.

He has missed on most of his picks  and fa  . You can give him a free pass and think that he is good at  his job but the facts say different,

Picks of need  our number # 1 pick last year,  WR Really  That was not a pick of need, I dont claim to be a football guru  but I do know what I see and  My eyes tell me he is not good at evaluating talent, or evaluating the colts needs.

I think the colts deserve better and Luck for sure deserves better,

You sir, must not be paying attention

That said I hope that the colts are not as bad as I fear and that grigson doesnt suck as bad as it seems .I will   root for the colts till all the games are played and I will be the first to eat crow when we win the SB,

Go Colts, Grigson sucks

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Pagano and Grigson aren't the worst, but we have achieved a level of mediocrity! Pagano and Grigson aren't as good as, say, Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown of the Bengals (and Brown has ceded more control to Lewis). Not good. IOW, GM and HC do not seem to be "skill positions" in football. Just let talented players try and cover up your faults and live the good life. As Pagano stated, "They can't eat you." After the Zombie Apocalypse he may find himself wrong.

One pair has a 3-3 record in the postseason, the other 0-7.  You do know which is which, right? 

19 hours ago, CoachLite said:

A level of mediocrity?  Their franchise QB got hurt and missed over half the season and then their back up got banged up and maybe played two games fully healthy and they still won 8 games last year including beating the eventual Super Bowl champ and finished a game out of the playoffs and won a game literally playing two guys off the street at QB.  

Yes Grigson and Pagano have their faults but the truth is they took over a 2-14 football team and achieved success way sooner than just about anyone expected.  They reached the AFCCG in year most thought they would just be getting back to playoff contention when they were hired.  Then they had a bad year due to injuries and still won half their games.  That's why Irsay stuck with them.  He saw two men who built a team that had excided expectations when you look at the situations they faced.  

The harsh truth a lot of fans here don't like to admit is that we don't know what real struggling is as a fan base.  A large chunk of us came along when Peyton did and have only seen one truly awful season and then had Andrew Luck dropped in our laps.  We have come to expect 10 + win seasons and think we are entitled to see the Colts in the playoffs every year.  We are in fact spoiled in terms of football to the point we are treating one 8-8 season where the franchise QB missed over half the year and then the backup was banged up too as the end of the world.  

Yes the the oline has been a mess under Grigson and Pagano.  Grigson has tried lots of things to fix it.  They haven't worked so he's trying something new.  He drafted four oline men.  They might very well turn out to be the answers we want.  However, there are going to be growing pains along the way, especially this year.  This is not the overnight fix so many want but if we are patient it might very well lead to the long term result we want.  So, I'd suggest accepting their are going to be growing pains along the way and try to be honest about that going in rather than running to the forum to slam Grigson for the line anytime someone touches Luck and act like the world is ending and trying to say Grigson and Pagano can't tie their own shoes let alone run a football team just because we are mad and want things to be worse than they really are to try to win an Internet argument.  

In closing I want you to know not everything in this post is directed at you, a lot of it is just a general response to the last couple of weeks here.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

A level of mediocrity?  Their franchise QB got hurt and missed over half the season and then their back up got banged up and maybe played two games fully healthy and they still won 8 games last year including beating the eventual Super Bowl champ and finished a game out of the playoffs and won a game literally playing two guys off the street at QB.  

Yes Grigson and Pagano have their faults but the truth is they took over a 2-14 football team and achieved success way sooner than just about anyone expected.  They reached the AFCCG in year most thought they would just be getting back to playoff contention when they were hired.  Then they had a bad year due to injuries and still won half their games.  That's why Irsay stuck with them.  He saw two men who built a team that had excided expectations when you look at the situations they faced.  

The harsh truth a lot of fans here don't like to admit is that we don't know what real struggling is as a fan base.  A large chunk of us came along when Peyton did and have only seen one truly awful season and then had Andrew Luck dropped in our laps.  We have come to expect 10 + win seasons and think we are entitled to see the Colts in the playoffs every year.  We are in fact spoiled in terms of football to the point we are treating one 8-8 season where the franchise QB missed over half the year and then the backup was banged up too as the end of the world.  

Yes the the oline has been a mess under Grigson and Pagano.  Grigson has tried lots of things to fix it.  They haven't worked so he's trying something new.  He drafted four oline men.  They might very well turn out to be the answers we want.  However, there are going to be growing pains along the way, especially this year.  This is not the overnight fix so many want but if we are patient it might very well lead to the long term result we want.  So, I'd suggest accepting their are going to be growing pains along the way and try to be honest about that going in rather than running to the forum to slam Grigson for the line anytime someone touches Luck and act like the world is ending and trying to say Grigson and Pagano can't tie their own shoes let alone run a football team just because we are mad and want things to be worse than they really are to try to win an Internet argument.  

In closing I want you to know not everything in this post is directed at you, a lot of it is just a general response to the last couple of weeks here.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. First, what we see played out on the field is the result of a team effort - of many people - scouts, cap and contract, trainers. None of scenarios you've detailed says anything about Pagano or Grigsons abilities. They were very lucky to have the no-brainer of drafting Andrew Luck. While I have been critical of Pagano and Grigson, despite their mistakes  the Colts have done well.

I'm not saying, with 20-20 hindsight, that some of Grigson's and Pagano's plans didn't pan out due to injury or other misfortune. To some extent, that happens even to the best. But luck favors the prepared. Part of the problem is the failure to create a culture of performance and winning. This affects the kinds of players the Colts can attract in free agency, and adversely affects the attitudes of very good players that end up on the roster. Frankly, they get paid either way. It also negatively affects the players who have "given up" and don't make the roster.  Some of these go on to play their roles better on other teams.  AQ Shipley and Jerry Hughes for example. These aren't Xs and Os issues. These are team issues. Even though the Colts are a business, every successful business strives to create and maintain a positive culture (not just slogans) from which success emerges. IMO, what we've got is as good as it will ever get with Pagano and Grigson.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said. First, what we see played out on the field is the result of a team effort - of many people - scouts, cap and contract, trainers. None of scenarios you've detailed says anything about Pagano or Grigsons abilities. They were very lucky to have the no-brainer of drafting Andrew Luck. While I have been critical of Pagano and Grigson, despite their mistakes  the Colts have done well.

I'm not saying, with 20-20 hindsight, that some of Grigson's and Pagano's plans didn't pan out due to injury or other misfortune. To some extent, that happens even to the best. But luck favors the prepared. Part of the problem is the failure to create a culture of performance and winning. This affects the kinds of players the Colts can attract in free agency, and adversely affects the attitudes of very good players that end up on the roster. Frankly, they get paid either way. It also negatively affects the players who have "given up" and don't make the roster.  Some of these go on to play their roles better on other teams.  AQ Shipley and Jerry Hughes for example. These aren't Xs and Os issues. These are team issues. Even though the Colts are a business, every successful business strives to create and maintain a positive culture (not just slogans) from which success emerges. IMO, what we've got is as good as it will ever get with Pagano and Grigson.

They went from 2-14 to a playoff team overnight and backed it up with two more playoff seasons to prove that wasn't a fluke.  Whose abilities so you think that reflects on?  You don't do that if your GM and head coach aren't doing something right, yes even if you have Andrew Luck.  Guys like Davis, Hilton, Allen, Mewhort, Langford, Gore, Andersom, Adams, and Moncrief didn't just magically show up in Indianapolis one day.  Someone had to get them here and that was Grigson.  If you want to see proof of Pagano this team won 8 games last year without their franchise QB for over half the year including winning six without him at all,. On top of that in two of those games the backup was 100%.  So the Colts were finding ways to win with a depleted QB situation including winning the last game of the year with two guys they signed off the street earlier that week.  As the head coach that reflects on him.

i see we are determined to rewrite history on the Luck pick so it now supports the narrative.  RG3 was very much an option at number one.  It was honestly what a large chunk of people wanted the Colts to do at number one.  They didn't and took Luck.  In fairness Irsay made it known that was going to be his call but honestly Grigson doesn't get the GM job if he wasn't onboard with the QB call.  Granted you could argue it wasn't the hardest decision ever but it wasn't a no brainier either,

If we are going to bash Grigson for being dumb for giving up on Jerry Hughes than every person here is equally as dumb in that regard.  People celebrated like mad when he was traded.  Now we are using 20/20 hindsight to go well that was a stupid trade ignoring the fact the fast majority of people here wanted him released for nothing.  Again, Grigson and Pagano have flaws and yes make mistakes and sometimes lets a guy go who they probably shouldn't have or get a guy who they feel has more talent than he really does.  This isn't a problem exclusive to them. It's a problem for EVERY head coach and GM in the history of sports.  The key is to be right more than your wrong and make very few big mistakes.  While Grigson and Pagano have made mistakes including a couple of big ones as a whole they have done a god job and the proof is that since they were hired the Colts have gone 44-26 been to the playoffs three times, won two division titles, three playoff games and been to the AFCCG.  Just as a point of reference since the division was created in 2002 the rest of the division has combined to win five playoff games total and made one AFCCG in 14 years.  In other words the Colts have done almost as much as the rest of their division has combined in four years compared to 14.  That's not mediocrity, that's knocking on the door which is where you want your team to be.  

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They went from 2-14 to a playoff team overnight and backed it up with two more playoff seasons to prove that wasn't a fluke.  Whose abilities so you think that reflects on?  You don't do that if your GM and head coach aren't doing something right, yes even if you have Andrew Luck.  Guys like Davis, Hilton, Allen, Mewhort, Langford, Gore, Andersom, Adams, and Moncrief didn't just magically show up in Indianapolis one day.  Someone had to get them here and that was Grigson.  If you want to see proof of Pagano this team won 8 games last year without their franchise QB for over half the year including winning six without him at all,. On top of that in two of those games the backup was 100%.  So the Colts were finding ways to win with a depleted QB situation including winning the last game of the year with two guys they signed off the street earlier that week.  As the head coach that reflects on him.

i see we are determined to rewrite history on the Luck pick so it now supports the narrative.  RG3 was very much an option at number one.  It was honestly what a large chunk of people wanted the Colts to do at number one.  They didn't and took Luck.  In fairness Irsay made it known that was going to be his call but honestly Grigson doesn't get the GM job if he wasn't onboard with the QB call.  Granted you could argue it wasn't the hardest decision ever but it wasn't a no brainier either,

If we are going to bash Grigson for being dumb for giving up on Jerry Hughes than every person here is equally as dumb in that regard.  People celebrated like mad when he was traded.  Now we are using 20/20 hindsight to go well that was a stupid trade ignoring the fact the fast majority of people here wanted him released for nothing.  Again, Grigson and Pagano have flaws and yes make mistakes and sometimes lets a guy go who they probably shouldn't have or get a guy who they feel has more talent than he really does.  This isn't a problem exclusive to them. It's a problem for EVERY head coach and GM in the history of sports.  The key is to be right more than your wrong and make very few big mistakes.  While Grigson and Pagano have made mistakes including a couple of big ones as a whole they have done a god job and the proof is that since they were hired the Colts have gone 44-26 been to the playoffs three times, won two division titles, three playoff games and been to the AFCCG.  Just as a point of reference since the division was created in 2002 the rest of the division has combined to win five playoff games total and made one AFCCG in 14 years.  In other words the Colts have done almost as much as the rest of their division has combined in four years compared to 14.  That's not mediocrity, that's knocking on the door which is where you want your team to be.  

Playing the AFC South helped pad those stats and get them into the playoffs. When they lose they are not even competitive in those games. They did have success in the playoffs only to get mowed down by the Pats.  With this regime, I just can't seem them ever having a bye in the playoffs. 

51 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Playing the AFC South helped pad those stats and get them into the playoffs. When they lose they are not even competitive in those games. They did have success in the playoffs only to get mowed down by the Pats.  With this regime, I just can't seem them ever having a bye in the playoffs. 

Nothing against your Post but I don't like the argument that playing in the AFC South padded our record. I will take our teams record from 2012-2014 and post - Houston won the Division in 2012 going 12-4 so they were Very Good that season and we still went 11-5 and made the Playoffs. Houston also went 9-7 in 2014 and were alive late for a Playoff berth, so the Colts have had competition in the Division in 2 of those 3 seasons. Yes we were 16-2 in the Division in those 3 seasons but still were 20-16 outside of the Division counting the Playoffs in those 3 seasons = Andrew's 36-18 overall record in those 3 seasons. 20-16 isn't that bad and 4 of those losses outside of the Division were too the Pats. So if you want to say our record was padded because of our Division then I can swing it and say, had it not been for the Pats we would've been 20-12 outside of the Division in those 3 seasons which is Good. We had a bunch of quality wins outside of the Division from 2012-2014, beating the Broncos twice/one at Denver in the Playoffs (2014), beat the Chiefs and Bengals in the Playoffs (2013Chiefs/2014Bengals), beat the Seahawks the season they won the SB (2013), beat the Packers in Andrew's rookie season (2012), and won at SF when they were still Very Good with Harbaugh coaching (2013). I think you are short changing our accomplishments.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, braveheartcolt said:

All hail the Cowboys o-line. Who have done what exactly? Easy to concentrate / focus on one element of the team, but to what cost re the rest of the team. It is all about balance. And luck.

It has came at no cost