Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper new mock draft has us taking Ryan Kelly.

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Per ESPN notification, he has us taking Ryan Kelly from Alabama. Center, rated number one offensive lineman available. 

No.   Kelly is NOT the number one offensive lineman available.  Not even close.   Kelly is the top center with a 2nd round grade.

And Kiper writes that.     He's saying the Colts need at center is so big that even though Kelly is NOT BPA, the Colts could take him in the first round.

My own view is that if the Colts want to take Kelly,   they should trade back -- perhaps even twice -- collect picks, and take Kelly later in the 1st round.      Otherwise, Kelly at 18 is a bad pick and shows a complete lack of understanding about how to use the draft properly.

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

Joe Reitz was quietly a pretty good RT, and Denzelle Good showed a lot of promise.  There are a lot of other positions that are more in need of upgrade IMHO.

Fair enough.  I thought Reitz played quite well last year as well, I just don't know if he can repeat that same performance for another entire season.  I really like him being our 6th guy, he's perfect to be able to plug-and-play when needed...but he showed up this year as a starter so...  I hope Good does come around, I'm just not completely sold yet, but we'll see, he played ok when he was getting his first tastes last year...we can only hope.  I would rather us draft a position other than RT or C in the first, just as you would, mainly due to the fact that there should be plenty of other talent that will be available...at a position of more need.  However, if we were to take a RT in the 1st, and he could come in and start right away, I wouldn't be disappointed.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   Kelly is NOT the number one offensive lineman available.  Not even close.   Kelly is the top center with a 2nd round grade.

And Kiper writes that.     He's saying the Colts need at center is so big that even though Kelly is NOT BPA, the Colts could take him in the first round.

My own view is that if the Colts want to take Kelly,   they should trade back -- perhaps even twice -- collect picks, and take Kelly later in the 1st round.      Otherwise, Kelly at 18 is a bad pick and shows a complete lack of understanding about how to use the draft properly.

Don't shoot the messenger. I just posted what the notification said, and him being number one. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Say what you want about Grigson, he does have iron ones when it comes to sticking to his board and possibly getting through the draft with unaddressed needs.  I can't imagine Kelly being anywhere near the top rated player at a position of need at #18.  I don't think he always goes BPA, but he's not gonna take anyone far down his list.

Remember his first draft?  We ended up coming out of it with only one CB on the roster worthy of being on an NFL roster, then he started frantically trading.  Last year he started trading for ILBs after the draft because he didn't like what we had there.  Not addressing Center wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if one failed to drop to us in Round 2...

If we don't sign a center in FA then it quickly becomes a position of need. If we don't sign a center that means we probably signed a guard or tackle, most likely a guard. There are only two maybe three top rated edge rushers in the draft and they will be gone.  There is an abundance of top rated DT's.  That means there would plenty to choose from if that want to go that route in a latter round.  My first choice would be to wait until the second for Kelly or Martin after taking Elliot in the first.  But if Elliot goes before our pick then I would be very happy with Kelly.  One analyst called him the best interior lineman in the last five years, a day one starter with all pro talent.  We need a day one starter with this pick.   He should receive serious consideration.  We will all have a much better idea after FA.

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

Joe Reitz was quietly a pretty good RT, and Denzelle Good showed a lot of promise.  There are a lot of other positions that are more in need of upgrade IMHO.

Joe Reitz is average or slightly above average.  I like him as a back-up because he is also versatile.  Good seems like he has potential, but then again Holmes, Harrison and Thornton all seemed like they had potential when they were rookies (Holmes, I actually think can be good if he's healthy, the other 2 I highly doubt will ever become the 'road-graders' Grigson/Pags made them out to be and I think we'd be better off moving away from Harrison entirely and possibly keeping Thornton as a back-up).  

Luck and Hasselbeck got hit way too much last year and our running game has had very little to work with over the past several  years.  I think everyone agrees that Castonzo is a solid LT and most would rank Mewhort (LG) as our second best OL.  To me, this suggests problems on THE OL are either coming from the C or to the right of center.  That said, I think we ought to give serious consideration into improving C and right of C.  I hope Good pans out, but I think it is pretty risky (based on what we saw last year) to count on him being our saviour this coming season.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not usually a big fan of it but the value is going to be there for us to trade back some.
4-5 spots maybe more.
 I would WAY prefer we draft and MAYBE Develop our own talent. 
 Come On Grigs/Chuck!!!

While it is nice to develop our own talent, we are in unique predicament.  Luck came onto the worst team in the NFL and led the team to an 11-5 record as a rookie, then won playoff games in consecutive years.  The owner wants to win multiple titles with Luck, which leaves the FO/Coaching staff with the mindset of 'win now'.  I think Good may 'develop' into a solid RT in this league, but with Luck coming off a season ending injury and with the fact he isn't getting any younger, we don't really have time to sit back and wait to 'develop' OL -- we need guys that can come in who we can be confident about in their ability to keep Luck upright and get our running game going from the day they step foot in the door.

As far as developing talent, I actually think Grigs is doing OK at that in mid-late round picks-- he drafted Moncrief when we had a healthy Reggie and TY and it looks like Moncrief is really developing into a football player from being just a great athlete.  Geathers was drafted when we had Lowery and Adams on the roster and I think we all expect big things from him.  Good is developing -- Newsome seemed like he had potential to develop (who knows if we keep him around), etc. etc.... but where Grigs has missed (outside of Luck) is in the first round, on picks where it is ideal if the guy can come in and contribute significantly from day 1.  If our mentality is to 'win now' and 'build for the future', it is imperative to hit big in the first round.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My own view is that if the Colts want to take K

elly,   they should trade back -- perhaps even twice -- collect picks, and take Kelly later in the 1st round.      Otherwise, Kelly at 18 is a bad pick and shows a complete lack of understanding about how to use the draft properly.

Every single year unforeseen things happen in the draft.  I don't know that anyone really understands how to 'use the draft properly.'

26 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

I know im in the minority here, I would love this pick in the first round. He is by far the best C in this draft. Im tired of the revolving door at the position since Jeff Saturday was released. 

I'm kind of split here. I was hoping Harrison would develop into a good center. i'm confused to why people think center isn't that important of a position to play.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Kelly is taken at #18 and starts from day one then it would be a good pick. On a personal level I have come to the conclusion that Grigson beats to his own drum and don't really care what the fans in here think. No matter who he picks most will have a problem because they think they know better. 99% of those who make an issue of who is picked use hindsight to determine what should have been done. Every pick in the draft is a crap shoot when it gets past the first 4 or 5 picks anyway.

16 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I'm kind of split here. I was hoping Harrison would develop into a good center. i'm confused to why people think center isn't that important of a position to play.

Jeff Saturday was one of the smartest guys on the team.  He wasn't the strongest or most agile or biggest, but it was clear that he was instrumental in Colts success.  Making the right line calls, a team leader, etc....one of the issues Irsay brought up was that our Oline didn't have the right attitude when it came to protecting Luck.   I think we need a center who can be that person and that would make the whole line better.

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Jeff Saturday was one of the smartest guys on the team.  He wasn't the strongest or most agile or biggest, but it was clear that he was instrumental in Colts success.  Making the right line calls, a team leader, etc....one of the issues Irsay brought up was that our Oline didn't have the right attitude when it came to protecting Luck.   I think we need a center who can be that person and that would make the whole line better.

I agree. Games are won with the players in the trenches. Always has, and always will. Everyone has different opinions as to who and why someone should be taken at #18. IMO the bottom line is protecting Luck. We have seen first hand Lucks talent not being used to it's fullest abilities by him not being protected. Good centers are hard to find, great centers even less.

41 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Zack Martin was picked by the Cowboys at pick 16 and I seem to remember a lot of people thought that was way too early for a non Tackle Olineman and it seems like he was considered a 2nd/3rd round pick at the time.   Turned out well for them.  

Zack Martin was always projected as a first rounder by nearly everyone

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. Games are won with the players in the trenches. Always has, and always will. Everyone has different opinions as to who and why someone should be taken at #18. IMO the bottom line is protecting Luck. We have seen first hand Lucks talent not being used to it's fullest abilities by him not being protected. Good centers are hard to find, great centers even less.

i'm in full agreement with both opinions. It is painfully obvious that we need to protect luck if we want to win games. whens the last time tom brady couldn't play?

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

While it is nice to develop our own talent, we are in unique predicament.  Luck came onto the worst team in the NFL and led the team to an 11-5 record as a rookie, then won playoff games in consecutive years.  The owner wants to win multiple titles with Luck, which leaves the FO/Coaching staff with the mindset of 'win now'.  I think Good may 'develop' into a solid RT in this league, but with Luck coming off a season ending injury and with the fact he isn't getting any younger, we don't really have time to sit back and wait to 'develop' OL -- we need guys that can come in who we can be confident about in their ability to keep Luck upright and get our running game going from the day they step foot in the door.

As far as developing talent, I actually think Grigs is doing OK at that in mid-late round picks-- he drafted Moncrief when we had a healthy Reggie and TY and it looks like Moncrief is really developing into a football player from being just a great athlete.  Geathers was drafted when we had Lowery and Adams on the roster and I think we all expect big things from him.  Good is developing -- Newsome seemed like he had potential to develop (who knows if we keep him around), etc. etc.... but where Grigs has missed (outside of Luck) is in the first round, on picks where it is ideal if the guy can come in and contribute significantly from day 1.  If our mentality is to 'win now' and 'build for the future', it is imperative to hit big in the first round.

Every single year unforeseen things happen in the draft.  I don't know that anyone really understands how to 'use the draft properly.'

I think good, well run teams know how to use the draft properly.    

How do teams like New England, almost always drafting in the bottom 5-6 of the round manage to collect enough talent to stay great?     Because they understand the draft.      The know who is over-valued and under-valued.    The know what the strength of each draft is...       sometimes the strength of a draft is the 2nd/3rd round and not the first.     Teams like the Patriots understand that.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Kelly is taken at #18 and starts from day one then it would be a good pick. On a personal level I have come to the conclusion that Grigson beats to his own drum and don't really care what the fans in here think. No matter who he picks most will have a problem because they think they know better. 99% of those who make an issue of who is picked use hindsight to determine what should have been done. Every pick in the draft is a crap shoot when it gets past the first 4 or 5 picks anyway.

Well,  right or wrong,  I've never been a 99% guy.    I put my opinion out there and try not to use the benefit of hindsight.      And when I'm wrong -- I try to own it.      When it comes to evaluating athletes for a draft,  no matter whether it's football, basketball, baseball, hockey,  you name it....   GM's are going to be wrong because you're dealing with human beings.     They get hurt,  they under-perform,   they get complacent when they get paid well...    all sorts of things get factored in.     There's just no way to know.

A few years I publicly laughed and belittled Jerry Jones when he took Travis Frederich, the big center from Wisconsin in the first round.     I had not scene any mocks that had Frederick as a first round.     No website pegged him in the first round.     All the stories from ESPN, NFL.com and CBS Sports almost unanimously said the Cowboys could've gotten Frederich a full round later,  some said he could've gone later than the 2nd.  

Yet, here we all are today and Jerry Jones gets the last laugh.   Frederich has been terrific and well worth number one.       That said,   the Cowboys had a mid-round draft pick and traded back more than 10 picks toward the bottom of the round and THEN they took Frederich.     

So, if the Colts love Kelly -- I sure hope we trade back and then take him.   I think there less "crap shoot" going on than most fans realize.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think good, well run teams know how to use the draft properly.    

How do teams like New England, almost always drafting in the bottom 5-6 of the round manage to collect enough talent to stay great?     Because they understand the draft.      The know who is over-valued and under-valued.    The know what the strength of each draft is...       sometimes the strength of a draft is the 2nd/3rd round and not the first.     Teams like the Patriots understand that.

The Patriots have used "other' methods to appear as good as they are. You really need to find another team to use as an example.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

The Patriots have used "other' methods to appear as good as they are. You really need to find another team to use as an example.

I don't understand your "reference"....   but I'm fine using the Patriots.     There's a reason they've sustained greatness for 15 or so straight years.     The draft is one of them.     They're not perfect in the draft, no team is,  but they do a lot of things right.