Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper new mock draft has us taking Ryan Kelly.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think good, well run teams know how to use the draft properly.    

How do teams like New England, almost always drafting in the bottom 5-6 of the round manage to collect enough talent to stay great?     Because they understand the draft.      The know who is over-valued and under-valued.    The know what the strength of each draft is...       sometimes the strength of a draft is the 2nd/3rd round and not the first.     Teams like the Patriots understand that.

The Patriots are also coached by arguably the greatest NFL coach of all-time and almost certainly the greatest coach of the past 16 years (hired in NE in 2000). 

Belichick, who has effectively been the team's GM since his hiring came into a team with multiple high talented players -- Ty Law, Adam Vinatieri, Tedi Bruschi, Kevin Faulk, Drew Bledsoe, Willie McGinest, Damien Woody, Terry Glenn, Lawyer Malloy, Troy Brown, to name a few...

They got lucky with Tom Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 NFL Draft - and pretty much hit on every 1st rounder and a few second rounders since Belichick has become head coach/GM.  They have had fairly little success with later round players (Asante Samuel, Matt Koppen, Logan Ryan, Brandon Tate, Gostkowski, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez,  Matt Slater, and I think that's about it) in the draft but have done tremendously well in FA and trading.

Some of their FA signings/trade acquisitions under Belichick include (I'm not counting UDFA who originally signed with NE):

Rodney Harrison *

Junior Seau

Corey Dillon *

Randy Moss *

Mike Vrabel *

Reche Caldwell

Wes Welker *

Fred Taylor

Shawn Springs

Joey Galloway

Jabar Gafney

Adalius Thomas

Alge Crumpler

Gerrard Warren

Andre Carter *

Brian Waters *

Albert Haynesworth

Chad Johnson

Danny Woodhead

LeGarrette Blount

Danny Amendola

Rob Ninkovich

Aqib Talib

Kyle Arrington (led NFL in interceptions in 2011)

Darrelle Revis *

Brandon Browner

Patrick Chung (drafted by Pats, but got good with Eagles before resigned with Pats)

Larry Izzo*

* = Made Probowl -- I very highly doubt that any other team in the league has 9 or more players they have signed through FA or acquired through draft who have made it to a probowl since 2000.  I also doubt any team has had that much success -- basically every single guy on that list above made significant contributions to very good teams.

Look at our FA signings with Polian and Grigson -- off the top of my head, the only ones who I can remember that played pretty well for us (not counting undrafted FA who first signed with Indy or players from CFL who first signed with Indy) have been; Vontae Davis, Adam Vinatieri, Darius Butler, Erik Walden, Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, Corey Redding, DQwell Jackson, Frank Gore, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Adams, Jeff Burris, Dwight Lowery. 

The only ones on that fairly short list to make a probowl are Adams, Davis, Jackson, and Vinatieri -- the rest were all just OK players for a very short stint.  The other guys who have played OK, IMO, didn't do as much for the Colts as many of the non-probowlers on NE's list did.  Then think of all the guys we had high hopes for that we have struck out on (T_Rich, DHB, Nicks, Cole, Landry, RJF, Donald Thomas, Todd Herremans, Greg Toler, etc.).

My point is -- the Pats haven't done an amazing job in drafting in later rounds, they have relied on getting sure-fire picks in round 1, are about 50/50 in round 2, and have had a little success in rounds 3 and later.  They've done tremendous in FA/Trade (IMO, better than any other team since 2000).  They also have a tremendous coach who puts players in position to succeed more than they probably would in other systems. 

If we need a C or a T in round 1, and Grigs is confident he can come in a contribute immediately, it may be risky to trade down and risk losing on a starting quality player for more picks as it is highly unlikely that we'll land starting quality or improved quality players in later rounds.  If you're taking the Patriots model it is this: "Don't fail in the 1st round, do good in the 2nd round, hope you get something from the later rounds, and win with your FA/trade options"... it isn't 'trade down to acquire more picks'.

If you look at Grigs track record so far in round 1 he: (1) Hit on Luck, (2) Swung and missed with Werner, (3) swung and missed big by trading 1st rounder for t-rich, (4) Verdict unknown with Dorsett (though, he really made no significant contributions in year 1).   So he is having a 25% success rate in the first round. 

Here is a list of Belichick's first round picks since he took over in NE -- every single one of them made significant contributions in their first year and the majority of them had/are having successful NFL careers:

2001 6 Richard Seymour DT Georgia  
2002 21 Daniel Graham TE Colorado [28]
2003 13 Ty Warren DT Texas A&M [29]
2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL) [30]
32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia  
2005 32 Logan Mankins OG Fresno State  
2006 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota  
2007 24 Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL) [31]
2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee [32]
2009 No first-round draft pick [33]
2010 27 Devin McCourty CB Rutgers [34]
2011 17 Nate Solder OT Colorado  
2012 21 Chandler Jones DE Syracuse  
25 Dont'a Hightower LB Alabama  
2013 No first-round draft pick  
2014 29 Dominique Easley DT Florida  
2015 32 Malcom Brown

14 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

The Patriots are also coached by arguably the greatest NFL coach of all-time and almost certainly the greatest coach of the past 16 years (hired in NE in 2000). 

Belichick, who has effectively been the team's GM since his hiring came into a team with multiple high talented players -- Ty Law, Adam Vinatieri, Tedi Bruschi, Kevin Faulk, Drew Bledsoe, Willie McGinest, Damien Woody, Terry Glenn, Lawyer Malloy, Troy Brown, to name a few...

They got lucky with Tom Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 NFL Draft - and pretty much hit on every 1st rounder and a few second rounders since Belichick has become head coach/GM.  They have had fairly little success with later round players (Asante Samuel, Matt Koppen, Logan Ryan, Brandon Tate, Gostkowski, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez,  Matt Slater, and I think that's about it) in the draft but have done tremendously well in FA and trading.

Some of their FA signings/trade acquisitions under Belichick include (I'm not counting UDFA who originally signed with NE):

Rodney Harrison *

Junior Seau

Corey Dillon *

Randy Moss *

Mike Vrabel *

Reche Caldwell

Wes Welker *

Fred Taylor

Shawn Springs

Joey Galloway

Jabar Gafney

Adalius Thomas

Alge Crumpler

Gerrard Warren

Andre Carter *

Brian Waters *

Albert Haynesworth

Chad Johnson

Danny Woodhead

LeGarrette Blount

Danny Amendola

Rob Ninkovich

Aqib Talib

Darrelle Revis *

Brandon Browner

Patrick Chung (drafted by Pats, but got good with Eagles before resigned with Pats)

Larry Izzo*

* = Made Probowl -- I very highly doubt that any other team in the league has 9 or more players they have signed through FA or acquired through draft who have made it to a probowl since 2000.  I also doubt any team has had that much success -- basically every single guy on that list above made significant contributions to very good teams.

Look at our FA signings with Polian and Grigson -- off the top of my head, the only ones who I can remember that played pretty well for us (not counting undrafted FA who first signed with Indy or players from CFL who first signed with Indy) have been; Vontae Davis, Adam Vinatieri, Darius Butler, Erik Walden, Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, Corey Redding, DQwell Jackson, Frank Gore, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Adams, Jeff Burris, Dwight Lowery. 

The only ones on that fairly short list to make a probowl are Adams, Davis, Jackson, and Vinatieri -- the rest were all just OK players for a very short stint.  The other guys who have played OK, IMO, didn't do as much for the Colts as many of the non-probowlers on NE's list did.  Then think of all the guys we had high hopes for that we have struck out on (T_Rich, DHB, Nicks, Cole, Landry, RJF, Donald Thomas, Todd Herremans, Greg Toler, etc.).

My point is -- the Pats haven't done an amazing job in drafting in later rounds, they have relied on getting sure-fire picks in round 1, are about 50/50 in round 2, and have had a little success in rounds 3 and later.  They've done tremendous in FA/Trade (IMO, better than any other team since 2000).  They also have a tremendous coach who puts players in position to succeed more than they probably would in other systems. 

If we need a C or a T in round 1, and Grigs is confident he can come in a contribute immediately, it may be risky to trade down and risk losing on a starting quality player for more picks as it is highly unlikely that we'll land starting quality or improved quality players in later rounds.  If you're taking the Patriots model it is this: "Don't fail in the 1st round, do good in the 2nd round, hope you get something from the later rounds, and win with your FA/trade options"... it isn't 'trade down to acquire more picks'.

If you look at Grigs track record so far in round 1 he: (1) Hit on Luck, (2) Swung and missed with Werner, (3) swung and missed big by trading 1st rounder for t-rich, (4) Verdict unknown with Dorsett (though, he really made no significant contributions in year 1).   So he is having a 25% success rate in the first round. 

Here is a list of Belichick's first round picks since he took over in NE -- every single one of them made significant contributions in their first year and the majority of them had/are having successful NFL careers:

2015 32 Malcom Brown

Should have posted this on the Patriots forum. You also overlook how many picks Belichick has missed on considering how many picks he has acquired. You will find it's not as high as you might think. According to the Boston Globe it is Pete Carroll and Marvin Lewis who have had the most players drafted who have become starters.

Let's see if I get this right. A player that touches the ball on 100% of the offensive plays and is the "QB"  of the line (calling the assignments) is the CENTER. 

I would say that's a very important ingredient in winning and well worth a 1st if a quality player is available.

To legitimize my thought, just think back to last years Colts center play.

Personally I really like Ryan Kelly (Alabama) and Max Tuerk (USC) but believe we could get either in the 2nd.

32 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Rodney Harrison *

Junior Seau

Corey Dillon *

Randy Moss *

Mike Vrabel *

Reche Caldwell

Wes Welker *

Fred Taylor

Shawn Springs

Joey Galloway

Jabar Gafney

Adalius Thomas

Alge Crumpler

Gerrard Warren

Andre Carter *

Brian Waters *

Albert Haynesworth

Chad Johnson

Danny Woodhead

LeGarrette Blount

Danny Amendola

Rob Ninkovich

Aqib Talib

Darrelle Revis *

Brandon Browner

Larry Izzo*

2015 32 Malcom Brown

Wow.....   tremendous post.    Heck of an effort...    I know it took a lot of time to do that...    I'm sorry if you did it for me....   I was certainly not trying to imply that the Pats have been built on the draft and only the draft.    I know of their success in Free Agency.

I'm not sure of the markings of players in yellow and the others who are not in yellow.    Guys like Graham and Warren and Watson were decent players.       Guys like Solder, Jones and Hightower are very good players.  And I'm expecting Easly and Brown to be good players.      But Belicheck does a nice job of both trading up and trading down.  

And he does a nice job of cherry-picking key free agents who are not just good,  but they don't hurt their opportunities to collect extra draft picks.     There's some formula the NFL uses to determine if you're getting extra picks and the Pats are annually one of the best teams in this area.     More picks means more opportunities to get good players.

But to me the Pats are a well run organization....   the know how to maximize every opportunity and to minimize their mistakes.     I was prepared for Grigson to lose his job (along with Pagano)  because I think Grigson has missed on both too many draft choices and too many big free agent signings.      But, he's back, so on we go.

Thanks again for your effort!          :thmup:

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Martin is better. But any Center at 18 is a bad pick

For what little it's worth,  Martin is NOT his brother Zack in Dallas.

The write-ups I'm seeing say he's a good but not great lineman.    A solid guy,  but not special like his brother.

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow.....   tremendous post.    Heck of an effort...    I know it took a lot of time to do that...    I'm sorry if you did it for me....   I was certainly not trying to imply that the Pats have been built on the draft and only the draft.    I know of their success in Free Agency.

I'm not sure of the markings of players in yellow and the others who are not in yellow.    Guys like Graham and Warren and Watson were decent players.       Guys like Solder, Jones and Hightower are very good players.  And I'm expecting Easly and Brown to be good players.      But Belicheck does a nice job of both trading up and trading down.  

And he does a nice job of cherry-picking key free agents who are not just good,  but they don't hurt their opportunities to collect extra draft picks.     There's some formula the NFL uses to determine if you're getting extra picks and the Pats are annually one of the best teams in this area.     More picks means more opportunities to get good players.

But to me the Pats are a well run organization....   the know how to maximize every opportunity and to minimize their mistakes.     I was prepared for Grigson to lose his job (along with Pagano)  because I think Grigson has missed on both too many draft choices and too many big free agent signings.      But, he's back, so on we go.

Thanks again for your effort!          :thmup:

Yellow means probowlers.  So he is >1/3 on hitting probowlers with his first round picks and I imagine Chandler Jones, Hightower, and one or both of the DTs from the past 2 years will be in a probowl in the very near future which would move him to ~50% (maybe higher).

From Kiper:

Forget best player available and instead consider Kelly at this slot as best offensive lineman available. The Colts don't just need better protection for Andrew Luck in pass protection, they also have the opportunity to protect Luck through the ability to run the ball more consistently, and Kelly is going to help immediately in that regard.

Bolded is stupid. Italics is wrong.

Don't let this clown anywhere near the Colts, please.

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

From Kiper:

Bolded is stupid. Italics is wrong.

Don't let this clown anywhere near the Colts, please.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this.....  Kiper is going to have probably a half-dozen more mock drafts between now and late April.     I'd expect other names to be mocked in future speculation.    I'd be surprised if he sticks with that all the way -- although Mel can surprise from time to time.....

One key reference many do not understand is the coaches your surround your players with.  Everyone mentions Saturday and the great line we had then.  We also had Howard Mudd who was know for being a solid line coach.  Also, with the Patriots drafting well, they definitely do but they also have great coaches who pull t he talent out of players.  Macolm Butler case and point.  We just need better coaching to develop players.  Grigson is not developing anyone, but he is hoping his coaches do develop the guys he picks to fit his mold.

I think Kelly or Martin at C should be high on the list but we probably won't draft this early again and you can't get a good edge rusher in late 1st round or later. I'm sure one if not both C will be available in 2nd or even 3rd round. It seems the prognosticators that understand team needs have Colts taking Floyd, Dodd, Lawson or Smith. You can get a C and a G in 2nd and 3rd round still get top 5 positional talents. 

All said Colts could get a top 5 draft talent at 3 positions of need if they are patient.

I think that the likely BPA for the Colts will be a CB or DE/DT based on the prospects. I would be surprised if the first round pick is anything but a defensive player.

With that said I am in the minority. I wouldn't be totally against taking Kelly at 18. You draft him believing he is by far any away the best center in the draft, someone who can play right away, and someone who is (without question) your future center for the next 10+ years. You can't draft him just because he happens to be the best player available at a position of need.....the talent has to be there.

We see the importance of the offensive line year after year after year...or should I say Superbowl after Superbowl after Superbowl. If the Colts believe that Kelly is the real deal at center then i'm not going to be upset about them taking him in round 1.

There is a lot more to improving the offensive line than just adding young talent though. Coaching, scheme, and play calling also play huge roles in the performance of an offensive line. As bad as the offensive line has played I think it is in much better shape than the defense. For that reason I expect the Colts to go with the best defensive player available in round 1 this year.

Luck threw 40 TD's with an average o-line.  The Broncos, Panthers, and Patriots had average o-lines. The offense isn't the problem with this team. The lack of playmakers defensively is why we haven't been able to beat elite teams like the Patriots and Steerlers. This needs to be a defensive draft, drafting a C wont help stop Brady or Big Ben. 

This idea that a guy isn't worth a first round pick because of the position he plays drives me insane. 

If Ryan Kelly can come in here and anchor our offensive line for the next 15 years, which is our greatest weakness, he is well worth the pick and you would be a fool not to take him. 

I understand the value of BPA, but I also think you have to weigh the positions according to your team needs. After all, these grades are very subjective, while your needs are crystal clear.

On February 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For what little it's worth,  Martin is NOT his brother Zack in Dallas.

The write-ups I'm seeing say he's a good but not great lineman.    A solid guy,  but not special like his brother.

I am a die hard Irish fan watch every game I don't get the Martin love. He hasn't been the same since the knee injury IMO.

i would prefer a C in FA but if we drafted one I would go with Boehm from Missouri early day 3. He's a beast. 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:06 PM, LockeDown said:

Zack Martin was picked by the Cowboys at pick 16 and I seem to remember a lot of people thought that was way too early for a non Tackle Olineman and it seems like he was considered a 2nd/3rd round pick at the time.   Turned out well for them.  

Yes...and they traded back to get Fredericks or whatever his name is at Center as well from about where we are to the end of the first rd. If Center is the way we want to go I wouldn't be opposed to doing that and picking up an additional 3rd.

On February 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM, papajohn56 said:

I think Kelly or Martin at C should be high on the list but we probably won't draft this early again and you can't get a good edge rusher in late 1st round or later. I'm sure one if not both C will be available in 2nd or even 3rd round. It seems the prognosticators that understand team needs have Colts taking Floyd, Dodd, Lawson or Smith. You can get a C and a G in 2nd and 3rd round still get top 5 positional talents. 

All said Colts could get a top 5 draft talent at 3 positions of need if they are patient.

You almost have to go pass rusher first round. While a guy like Shilique Calhoun might be a solid pass rusher round 2, the best guys are going to be in round 1.

As for Center I think we could get a guy like Austin Blythe late and be fine. I like Martin and Kelly, but in our new ZBS we can get an effective center later. But the earliest I like getting a center is round 3. I know it's all BPA but I just feel like it would be better if we got 2 defensive players rounds 1-2 and then got a center. I'm not doing another mock until after the combine but here an ideal scenario:

1. Shaq Lawson/Leonard Floyd

2. Andrew Billings

3. Center

4. Safety

5. Jonathan Williams, RB

7. BPA

If you have the 18th pick and you have a choice of the 3rd or 4th rated edge rusher to the No. 1 rated running back or center, both positions of need assuming we don't sign either position in FA you take the better rated player.   Don't want to reach when better players are available.  We need sure starters with our 1st. two picks. maybe three picks.  BPA in position of need.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If you have the 18th pick and you have a choice of the 3rd or 4th rated edge rusher to the No. 1 rated running back or center, both positions of need assuming we don't sign either position in FA you take the better rated player.   Don't want to reach when better players are available.  We need sure starters with our 1st. two picks. maybe three picks.  BPA in position of need.

That's what I'm trying to say but haven't very well.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

A running back?  Rather draft a kicker/punter in the first.