Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Franchise Tag Luck?

bap1331

Franchise  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Tag Luck?

• Yes
    • No

Would it work the same just as any other player? Somebody said it would be more expensive like around 20 million so it wouldnt be worth it. I thought it was 7 million....

But i think its the best decision because there are MAJOR needs at offensive line, cornerback, maybe a defensive lineman or 2 and safeties (we are OLD with Mike Adams) and insecure at depth in all positions.

But in the end, we know we can restructure Lucks contract in the near future without a problem or complaint. The major focus this summer is that we need to get Luck that blockbuster contract so he can get himself the newest iPhone 7 in September so he can make a twitter, facebook, instagram, snapchat and Tapatalk so he can read what the team needs to improve on in our forums. That flip phone isnt going to help him with that.

Just now, bap1331 said:

well, i love football but i dont understand the numbers side of it like salary caps and whatnot...

Let me help you.

1) The principles of the franchise tag is the same for a QB as any other player.  The cost is more but the process is the same.

2) You really thought the franchise cost for a QB is $7 million?  That is odd to say the least.

3)  Franchise level QB's make over $20 million per year already.  Luck will make in the neighborhood of $25 million when he signs his contract.

4)  They don't have to think about franchising him until next off season.

Just now, jskinnz said:

Let me help you.

1) The principles of the franchise tag is the same for a QB as any other player.  The cost is more but the process is the same.

2) You really thought the franchise cost for a QB is $7 million?  That is odd to say the least.

3)  Franchise level QB's make over $20 million per year already.  Luck will make in the neighborhood of $25 million when he signs his contract.

4)  They don't have to think about franchising him until next off season.

:crying: Is there a coupon for a player who was injured half the season? 40% off for NFL injury. 20% off for family member being agent.

Personally, I really hope they give him a Philip Rivers or Eli Manning type contract ranging around $80 million. I hope they dont go the Ryan Tannehill or Jay Cutler route and make him the highest paid QB. Dolphins and Bears really messed it up for us...

6 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

:crying: Is there a coupon for a player who was injured half the season? 40% off for NFL injury. 20% off for family member being agent.

Personally, I really hope they give him a Philip Rivers or Eli Manning type contract ranging around $80 million. I hope they dont go the Ryan Tannehill or Jay Cutler route and make him the highest paid QB. Dolphins and Bears really messed it up for us...

Do you know what Eli and Rivers are averaging per season?

I would ask the mods to delete this thread if I were you.

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Do you know what Eli and Rivers are averaging per season?

I would ask the mods to delete this thread if I were you.

Well, that was not the point i was referring to. Eli and Rivers definitely perform much better than Tannehill and Cutler...

Atleast Eli has 2 Super Bowls and weve seen what Rivers can do.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I'd hope not this off-season or Grigson should be fired on the spot since Luck has one more year left on his deal...

From there if a deal isn't done then yes you can bet everything you own that Andrew Luck will be franchised tag without a second thought. 

exactly, thats what i think. Luck will be paid more than 20 million anyway and even more with guarantees. So a franchise can still make sense.

I voted "no." (I just like to press buttons)

This is kind of a moot subject, though. Luck will be signed this off-season, but if, for some reason, he isn't, then obviously Indy will tag him, if needed. 

In my mind, there is no way a deal doesn't get done. Luck knows that every game he plays can only hurt his value, as he is universally seen as the best young QB in the league right now. If he got hurt, a la RGIII, he could see himself lose an historically high contract. 

If he makes it work in Indy over the off-season, he's set for life, regardless of what happens next season. Success isn't a given, as we've seen this season. I think he realizes that it would be foolish to try eek out a little extra from the guy that's going to put together your O-Line for next season. haha

I suppose I'll actually throw in the helpful tidbit here. The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 highest salaries at the position. Seeing as there are a couple QBs in the 20+ range, the tag would be around there as well. 

Now Id probably prefer to just get Luck on a long term deal rather than tag him. It is better for everyone. But if a deal can't get done, then yeah, obviously, I'd want to tag him. 

4 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Would it work the same just as any other player? Somebody said it would be more expensive like around 20 million so it wouldnt be worth it. I thought it was 7 million....

But i think its the best decision because there are MAJOR needs at offensive line, cornerback, maybe a defensive lineman or 2 and safeties (we are OLD with Mike Adams) and insecure at depth in all positions.

But in the end, we know we can restructure Lucks contract in the near future without a problem or complaint. The major focus this summer is that we need to get Luck that blockbuster contract so he can get himself the newest iPhone 7 in September so he can make a twitter, facebook, instagram, snapchat and Tapatalk so he can read what the team needs to improve on in our forums. That flip phone isnt going to help him with that.

OK....

Let's start with the fact that Andrew Luck is UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2016.     His salary will be $16 Mill and change.    We do NOT have to sign him to a contract and certainly do not have to Franchise Tag him in 2016.

Luck is still under his ROOKIE CONTRACT.    

The Franchise Tag doesn't come into play until 2017.  

But the idea is to sign him to a long-term deal THIS OFF-SEASON.   The reason behind it is to LOWER his cap hit for this year.    

If, for whatever reason, we don't come to terms with Luck on a long-term deal,  THEN he plays out his 2016 contract.     And we try again in the off-season prior to 2017.    And if we STILL CAN'T come to a new long-term deal THEN and ONLY THEN do we go to a Franchise Tag.

If we want, we have the legal right to Tag Luck in '17, '18 and '19.     But it gets really, really expensive.

So, there is incentive for both sides to get a long-term deal done.     And odds are overwhelmingly strong that a long-term deal WILL GET DONE this off-season.

No worries.     No need to panic.      No need to lose any sleep.     Life is good!

Just take a deep breath.......

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....

Let's start with the fact that Andrew Luck is UNDER CONTRACT FOR 2016.     His salary will be $16 Mill and change.    We do NOT have to sign him to a contract and certainly do not have to Franchise Tag him in 2016.

Luck is still under his ROOKIE CONTRACT.    

The Franchise Tag doesn't come into play until 2017.  

But the idea is to sign him to a long-term deal THIS OFF-SEASON.   The reason behind it is to LOWER his cap hit for this year.    

If, for whatever reason, we don't come to terms with Luck on a long-term deal,  THEN he plays out his 2016 contract.     And we try again in the off-season prior to 2017.    And if we STILL CAN'T come to a new long-term deal THEN and ONLY THEN do we go to a Franchise Tag.

If we want, we have the legal right to Tag Luck in '17, '18 and '19.     But it gets really, really expensive.

So, there is incentive for both sides to get a long-term deal done.     And odds are overwhelmingly strong that a long-term deal WILL GET DONE this off-season.

No worries.     No need to panic.      No need to lose any sleep.     Life is good!

Just take a deep breath.......

That's what makes this sport better than Basketball. In Basketball LeBron can just leave when his contract is up. What some people don't realize even if Luck wanted to leave he cant because of the franchise tag.

10 hours ago, bap1331 said:

No, No, No, No, Just No 

Id rather not go through what we did with manning and tag the kid. Just pay him and lock him in long term in the long run saves the Franchise tons of money. 

10 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I'm pretty sure those two QBs have the highest take home pay in the NFL, and that's including California's 13.3% state tax rate...

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's what makes this sport better than Basketball. In Basketball LeBron can just leave when his contract is up. What some people don't realize even if Luck wanted to leave he cant because of the franchise tag.

I love the NHL deadline trades. If a guy is gonna leave in the offseason might as well bounce him to a contender 4 months earlier and get some picks for it.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Irsay will work out a contract this off season. He has talked about it and Andrew said he would like to get it done. It is always more team friendly if the franchise tag is not used. Get Luck under contract and then you know strait up what the cost will be.

He should be working on it now so he knows how much he has for the other FAs and rookies

Franchise tag for QB for last year was 18.5M

Using the franchise tag more then once causes it to go up by I believe 20%.

You are better of signing a long term contract in the end.  Franchise tag just gives you flexibility to keep your guy from going to FA while you work on a long term deal.

15 hours ago, bap1331 said:

well, i love football but i dont understand the numbers side of it like salary caps and whatnot...

If you want to, just go into either the scouting section or the NFL general section and ask some questions, there are several people who would be happy to help you.  

It's not super complicated or anything and I'd be happy to answer any questions or just give you a general primer on it.