Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts player needs,..and where to get them.

This is just  where I stand in positions we need to fill, and whether  to get them in FA, or draft.

QB: Keep Luck/Freeman

RB: Keep Gore, maybe look in draft mid late for another.

WR: Keep Hilton, Moncreif, Dorsett, let the restfallwhere they may.

TE: Sign Fleener because of him staying healthy..let Allen go. FA maybe for another.

OT: AC, Rietz, Good stay.

Guard: Mewhort stays...Draft 2 high-mid

Center: IMO..maybe first draft pick.

DT/DE: Keep Anderson, Langford, and Art-because of his dead money, otherwise he'd be gone-

NT: Parry stays, grab another in FA

OLB: Keep Mathis, Walden, And eye the FA market

ILB: Is a mess...Keep Irving, mixed emotions on DQ and Freeman, keep Moore because not a lot of looks yet. FA worth a look.

CB: Keep Davis, Smith, Butler -for nickle only-, Draft mid to late.

S: Keep Adams, Geathers. Lowery for depth,..but check FA...then draft mid-late if nothing comes of FA.

K: if he wants to play..keep A.V.

P: keep 

Just my opinions..feel free to critique or make your own list.

That looks about right. I'm up in the air about Freeman and DJax. Both have had their moments and then they show really strong moments as well. I would think about re-signing Freeman after his performance this season. I would look in the draft for a pass rusher and guard/tackle. Look in FA for a CB (Sean Smith maybe).

No on Freeman. . . way too much love for freeman because he looked ok against one of the leagues worst defenses in a game where they where playing for the #1 pick.  He's shown before against a decent defense with something to play for he is absolutely freaking terrible.  There is a reason he was out of the league before.  

I would recommend signing a CB2 or drafting one highly.  Smith has not shown that he can be a CB2 and Butler is good in slot but not on the outside.

QB: Luck/ Sign Drew Stanton a backup QB who the cardinals have won games with.  If not him Matt Moore

RB: Gore draft a RB2 or possibly see what it would cost to bring Matt Forte in.  I know its a lot to spend on RB's but Gore doesn't give us pass catching ability out of the backfield which is something Forte can do.

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Bray as returner, Bring in low draft picks or UDFA's to compete with Whalen for #4 job.

TE: Keep Fleener, Re-sign Allen if he will go for 3M APY or less

OT: AC, Draft a RT 1st round, Keep Goode as backup

G: Move Reitz inside and let him compete with Thornton while allowing him to practice at tackle with the #2's.  

C: Draft in 2nd or 3rd round

DL: Keep with what we have.  Langford, Parry, Anderson  Give Art another chance this year.

OLB: Stick with what we have, draft a pass rusher if a good one falls to us but don't reach.  Cut Werner

ILB: Stick with what we have. 

CB: Davis, sign a CB2, Butler, Smith

S: Keep what we have but look for safties in the mid late part of the draft or if any fall to us.  

K: Prefer to sign a new kicker but if AV wants to go for another season I'm ok with a 1 year deal

P: No reason to change.  

Reason I'm not advocating purposefully going for a pass rusher is it's my impression that this draft isn't very deep on pass rush.  So we might be sitting there at 18 and any pass rusher we could want might be a mega reach.  Meanwhile the draft I believe is rather deep on offensive tackles.  If we are gonna give Luck bookend tackle protection, now is the time to do it.  I think it's also deep on CB's so that might be a consideration.  But I'd like to draft solutions to the OL instead of filling them in with FA's.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

No on Freeman. . . way too much love for freeman because he looked ok against one of the leagues worst defenses in a game where they where playing for the #1 pick.  He's shown before against a decent defense with something to play for he is absolutely freaking terrible.  There is a reason he was out of the league before.  

I would recommend signing a CB2 or drafting one highly.  Smith has not shown that he can be a CB2 and Butler is good in slot but not on the outside.

QB: Luck/ Sign Drew Stanton a backup QB who the cardinals have won games with.  If not him Matt Moore

RB: Gore draft a RB2 or possibly see what it would cost to bring Matt Forte in.  I know its a lot to spend on RB's but Gore doesn't give us pass catching ability out of the backfield which is something Forte can do.

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Bray as returner, Bring in low draft picks or UDFA's to compete with Whalen for #4 job.

TE: Keep Fleener, Re-sign Allen if he will go for 3M APY or less

OT: AC, Draft a RT 1st round, Keep Goode as backup

G: Move Reitz inside and let him compete with Thornton while allowing him to practice at tackle with the #2's.  

C: Draft in 2nd or 3rd round

DL: Keep with what we have.  Langford, Parry, Anderson  Give Art another chance this year.

OLB: Stick with what we have, draft a pass rusher if a good one falls to us but don't reach.  Cut Werner

ILB: Stick with what we have. 

CB: Davis, sign a CB2, Butler, Smith

S: Keep what we have but look for safties in the mid late part of the draft or if any fall to us.  

K: Prefer to sign a new kicker but if AV wants to go for another season I'm ok with a 1 year deal

P: No reason to change.  

Reason I'm not advocating purposefully going for a pass rusher is it's my impression that this draft isn't very deep on pass rush.  So we might be sitting there at 18 and any pass rusher we could want might be a mega reach.  Meanwhile the draft I believe is rather deep on offensive tackles.  If we are gonna give Luck bookend tackle protection, now is the time to do it.  I think it's also deep on CB's so that might be a consideration.  But I'd like to draft solutions to the OL instead of filling them in with FA's.  

Assuming your talking about the Titans...They ranked 12th in offensive yards allowed per game...Pretty solid

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

This is just  where I stand in positions we need to fill, and whether  to get them in FA, or draft.

TE: Sign Fleener because of him staying healthy..let Allen go. FA maybe for another.

DT/DE: Keep Anderson, Langford, and Art-because of his dead money, otherwise he'd be gone-

ILB: Is a mess...Keep Irving, mixed emotions on DQ and Freeman, keep Moore because not a lot of looks yet. FA worth a look.

S: Keep Adams, Geathers. Lowery for depth,..but check FA...then draft mid-late if nothing comes of FA.

TE: Sign Fleener and give Jack Doyle a qualifying offer. He he is a great blocker and he can catch when  you need him to.

S: I think Lowery should be kept. He had nice season and I think he's worth keeping around for a few years.

OLB: it's a bit of mess. I think Cole needs to go. Probably going to have to look for an expensive free agent or draft one in the first round.

I agree with most of your other observations.

CB: we need a legit #2 and we're probably going to have to spend some $ in FA to get one.

ILB: we have plenty of options there and I dont think that Freeman is a must have. If he wants big $ I think he can be replaced by Irving or Moore.

NT: we can find one to back up Parry late in the draft

OL is a bit of a mess: I like the idea of staying with Mewhort at G, putting Reitz at G and think about drafting a RT high.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yes but the 6th worst in total points per game.

While at the end of the day points per game matter most there are many factors that go into points per game allowed...Many of which don't have anything to do with the defense

I agree with some of your thinking and have some differences.

QB:  re-sign Luck.  See who gets released for Vet back up.  Draft A QB to groom to be back up.

RB:  Keep Frank.  Keep one of our other RBs.  Draft RB in Mid to Late

WR:  Keep TY, Moncrief, Dorsett and AJ (was under utilized).  Either bring Griff back or get a depth in FA

TE:  As much as I like Duane, let him go.  Re-sing Fleener.  Keep Jack D.  Get one in late or UDFA.

OT:  Keep AC, Good.  Joe for depth.  Draft one in Mid to Late

OG:  Keep Jack M, Thorton for depth.  Draft 2-4 round

C:  Get a good one in FA.  Decide on Holmes or Harrison for depth.  Draft one or UDFA

DE/DT:  Keep Henry and Langford as starters.  Jones, McGill, and Kerr as back-ups.  Jones only because                of money.

NT:  Keep Parry.  Use Jones, McGill, or Kerr as back up

OLB:  Keep Walden, Mathis, Werner (as Sam), and Newsome.  Draft 1-3 round

ILB:  Keep Irving.  Would keep Freeman over DQ.  Keep Herrara (spelling ?).  Evaluate Moore during TC

CB:  Keep Davis.  Evaluate Smith for Nickle.  Draft CB 1-4

S:  Keep Mike and Geathers.  Keep Lowery for depth.  Draft 2-5

K:  Keep Adam if he wants to stay.  If not, look in FA or Draft late/ UDFA

P:  Keep Pat

Like you said, JMO 

43 minutes ago, Gavin said:

While at the end of the day points per game matter most there are many factors that go into points per game allowed...Many of which don't have anything to do with the defense

Perhaps true but whatever those factors are they likely also helped Freeman.  

I'm sorry I am just bothered by the fact that Colts fans are taking a guy who was out of the NFL and signed only cause we had no other options left and after seeing him play in one game against a terrible team that had nothing to play for other then the #1 overall pick have anointed him to be our backup QB for next  year.

31 other teams didn't want this guy on their roster for the last 2 seasons but I understand the Colts had no choice as there wasn't much out there during week 17.  But then going into next year so many people want to keep him on as backup because he looked ok in one game.  

No thanks.  Let's sign a proven backup. 

I don't like how people say Smith hasn't done anything or how he's a bust when he never got a chance. They just never give him a opportunity even with toler struggling and then him being injured they threw jalil brown in there that's just disrespectful to me

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Reitz, he was our 2nd best OL on the field this year. I think he deserves the starting RT job. We are a good starting caliber center and a couple solid backups away from having a good OL. Depth was our biggest issue this year, we didnt have a solid backup LT on the roster to fill in for Castanzo when he went down. Castanzo, Mewhort, Thornton, and Reitz was a good OL for us, center was/is our problem. Oh and Louis has got to go asap! Hes horrible!

2 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Reitz, he was our 2nd best OL on the field this year. I think he deserves the starting RT job. We are a good starting caliber center and a couple solid backups away from having a good OL. Depth was our biggest issue this year, we didnt have a solid backup LT on the roster to fill in for Castanzo when he went down. Castanzo, Mewhort, Thornton, and Reitz was a good OL for us, center was/is our problem. Oh and Louis has got to go asap! Hes horrible!

I'd say Good did a splendid job filling in at tackle also when he was called upon.  More time with a good o-line coach, and some more experience, i'd say he could end up starting caliber also. 

Pretty good decisions from some here. The one aspect that this team needs to focus on is most obviously defense. Indianapolis has tried & struggled in the past many seasons to initiate this. It now becomes a MUST IMO to do this. Our next hire @ DC is going to be a critical one to this organization. ILB & OLB game wreckers would be a fantastic start. I get Freeman, and he's a solid player for us. The catalyst to building the "Monster" has to begin with these two positions. 

We're in pretty good shape as far as the offense is concerned excluding the OL. The Colts are not really that far from engaging the "Monster" realm. OL & a couple positions on defense could & should put us into the Elite status. Correct drafting by BPA defensive targeting is the highway to success. At least for me. I certainly hope we can achieve what we've been trying to accomplish for the last 4 seasons. And that is to create a formidable defense to go along with our juggernaut offensive weapons.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Perhaps true but whatever those factors are they likely also helped Freeman.  

I'm sorry I am just bothered by the fact that Colts fans are taking a guy who was out of the NFL and signed only cause we had no other options left and after seeing him play in one game against a terrible team that had nothing to play for other then the #1 overall pick have anointed him to be our backup QB for next  year.

31 other teams didn't want this guy on their roster for the last 2 seasons but I understand the Colts had no choice as there wasn't much out there during week 17.  But then going into next year so many people want to keep him on as backup because he looked ok in one game.  

No thanks.  Let's sign a proven backup. 

A proven backup like who?  They are all pretty terrible.  Why are your feelings so strong about a back up quarterback. Plus he's still relatively young unlike Hass who is almost in his Sports Grave.   At least the one people are suggesting has actually started for a team for a couple of years and has all the qualities you need to play in this offense. If the guy has matured we know he has talent and there are plenty of come back stories in the NFL. Stories that don't come from ideal circumstance.  Why does that matter that he came from  some league nobody knows much about?  We've seen the guy play in this leauge and be productive enough to be somebodies starter. He's won some games in this league and he played well enough in college to be a 1st round pick.  The guy is going to be a back up. Not a starter!

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

So who are your big names for that 1st round Center?
 Or perhaps you are thinking of trading back into the 2nd rd?
 Barf at Freeman as our backup.
  We have plenty of good looking beef for the D-Line.
  The rest is pretty obvious.

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So who are your big names for that 1st round Center?
 Or perhaps you are thinking of trading back into the 2nd rd?
 Barf at Freeman as our backup.
  We have plenty of good looking beef for the D-Line.
  The rest is pretty obvious.

Take a Guard/Tackle i guess in first round.  Prefer Guard..but if a top  tackle drops to 18, don't pass up.  I personally believe Center is our most dire need, but projections have the top 2 going 2nd-4th round right now. so i'd use 2nd rounder on that. 

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

I agree with some of your thinking and have some differences.

QB:  re-sign Luck.  See who gets released for Vet back up.  Draft A QB to groom to be back up.

RB:  Keep Frank.  Keep one of our other RBs.  Draft RB in Mid to Late

WR:  Keep TY, Moncrief, Dorsett and AJ (was under utilized).  Either bring Griff back or get a depth in FA

TE:  As much as I like Duane, let him go.  Re-sing Fleener.  Keep Jack D.  Get one in late or UDFA.

OT:  Keep AC, Good.  Joe for depth.  Draft one in Mid to Late

OG:  Keep Jack M, Thorton for depth.  Draft 2-4 round

C:  Get a good one in FA.  Decide on Holmes or Harrison for depth.  Draft one or UDFA

DE/DT:  Keep Henry and Langford as starters.  Jones, McGill, and Kerr as back-ups.  Jones only because                of money.

NT:  Keep Parry.  Use Jones, McGill, or Kerr as back up

OLB:  Keep Walden, Mathis, Werner (as Sam), and Newsome.  Draft 1-3 round

ILB:  Keep Irving.  Would keep Freeman over DQ.  Keep Herrara (spelling ?).  Evaluate Moore during TC

CB:  Keep Davis.  Evaluate Smith for Nickle.  Draft CB 1-4

S:  Keep Mike and Geathers.  Keep Lowery for depth.  Draft 2-5

K:  Keep Adam if he wants to stay.  If not, look in FA or Draft late/ UDFA

P:  Keep Pat

Like you said, JMO 

Nicely done there Gacker.
AJ was under utilized but Andrew so far has shown little to no ability to hit slants well timed and on the money. That is what gets Andre to the HOF. We will surely save that $7M. We do need another Big receiver for the blocking and high throws from Andrew.
 Folks here just don`t get, IMO, that Good can be developed into a very worthy RT.
 Always been a Reitz fan, and he was decent at RT. And once again we see that if you put him inside scrumming, he gets hurt in a heartbeat.
 We don`t need a good center IMO, we need a High Quality one. FA ??? lol
 I am excited about our D-Line depth!!
 We MUST have a Big upgrade at OLB. We are not going to get THERE with any of the guys we have.
 This will take more than one off season/draft for the long term upgrade.
  Herrara looked too clumsy in drills and lacks speed. Guys can improve but...
 Thornton is improved and in a contract year. It will be interesting to see where he is at.
 To me it says more about AC & Mewhort, but i do believe that when we need a yard, we go right.

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

Reitz is more valuable as the #6 guy than starting at any position because his best talent is his versatility. That's not being down on the guy, that's using his greatest talent. It's nearly guaranteed that linemen will get hurt at some point in the year and I want Reitz there to plug that hole. Can't do that if you pencil him in as a starter.

First priorities... Center (Mack) then Right Tackle  (Joe Barksdale or Draft)

Secondly... Pass Rushing OLB (Draft), Corner back (Prince Amukamara)

Tertiary...Versatile ILB (Rolando McClain)

Getting solid players in those spots would immensely improve this team

2 hours ago, krunk said:

A proven backup like who?  They are all pretty terrible.  Why are your feelings so strong about a back up quarterback. Plus he's still relatively young unlike Hass who is almost in his Sports Grave.   At least the one people are suggesting has actually started for a team for a couple of years and has all the qualities you need to play in this offense. If the guy has matured we know he has talent and there are plenty of come back stories in the NFL. Stories that don't come from ideal circumstance.  Why does that matter that he came from  some league nobody knows much about?  We've seen the guy play in this leauge and be productive enough to be somebodies starter. He's won some games in this league and he played well enough in college to be a 1st round pick.  The guy is going to be a back up. Not a starter!

Drew Stanton was my suggestion.  He will be an FA, he won games last year for Arizona.

Matt Moore, Matt Schaub.  

My feelings are strong about a backup because this year our backups played 9 games and managed to pull us to a decent record and very close to being in the playoffs.  I want a backup that's actually capable of going out there and winning some games against teams not playing for the #1 overall pick in week 17.

It's not true that all backups are pretty terrible.  True they arn't franchise QB's but some are far more capable then others.  

Freeman is not capable.  His draft status and the fact that he once was a starter that one time have nothing to do with it.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Drew Stanton was my suggestion.  He will be an FA, he won games last year for Arizona.

Matt Moore, Matt Schaub.  

My feelings are strong about a backup because this year our backups played 9 games and managed to pull us to a decent record and very close to being in the playoffs.  I want a backup that's actually capable of going out there and winning some games against teams not playing for the #1 overall pick in week 17.

It's not true that all backups are pretty terrible.  True they arn't franchise QB's but some are far more capable then others.  

Freeman is not capable.  His draft status and the fact that he once was a starter that one time have nothing to do with it.  

I can get with Drew Stanton, but how do you know Freeman couldn't be a back up quarterback? Most of his failures were maturity based.  The guy has won more than 6 games in this league so what makes you think he's not capable if he's matured?  If I could get Stanton I'd be okay with that, but I think Freeman has won more games than Stanton so I can't just sit here and say Josh ain't capable.

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can get with Drew Stanton, but how do you know Freeman couldn't be a back up quarterback? Most of his failures were maturity based.  The guy has won more than 6 games in this league so what makes you think he's not capable if he's matured?  If I could get Stanton I'd be okay with that, but I think Freeman has won more games than Stanton so I can't just sit here and say Josh ain't capable.

By my count Freeman is 25 - 36 as a starter (counting the win over the Titans) and Stanton is 7 - 5 as a starter.

However since 2013 Freeman is 1 - 4 (Counting the win over the Titans)  and Stanton is 5 - 3.

40 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

By my count Freeman is 25 - 36 as a starter (counting the win over the Titans) and Stanton is 7 - 5 as a starter.

However since 2013 Freeman is 1 - 4 (Counting the win over the Titans)  and Stanton is 5 - 3.

Stantons supporting cast is much better than what Freeman had.  Also how much confidence do you have that Stanton is going to want to leave Arizona to be a backup somewhere else?  He'll be looking for somewhere he will have a decent chance to play.

I will say this, the areas we have to address last are QB, DLine, WR, punter and kicker. All of those spots should be marked off the needs list for the draft and FA market this year (just sign Vinny for 2 years and be done).

We need a #2 CB but how many guys come out of the draft ready to be a lock down? Plenty of free agents to look at this season with #2 or low #1 potential to match with Davis. Now one with a change in the DC, maybe we won't use so much garbage 10-12 yards off receivers though and give up 3rd and 30 so frequently. 

Oline is is and has been our weakest unit since the days of Tarik Glen and Adam Meadows and Jeff Saturday. We are set with AC. Love what Mewhort brings and I am very excited to see Good develop over the offseason. IMO, we have our future RT in Good. It has been that interior of the line that has been this teams sore spot and that has to be the focus. #1 pick needs used to solve that area IMO. If you don't have a guy that rates in the #18 pick for either C or G, you trade down for more picks and take that traded down pick and get your value worthy guard/center and improve that unit. Now scheme and coaching hopefully improved this season as well because I feel our oline coaching has been awful in growing players. 

We we have to get a LB or adjust the defensive scheme to cover these TE's that have killed us over the middle for like forever it seems. Freeman is a solid cover LB but isn't the best at run. DQ is really good at run but ughhh in pass. So, if there is a FA that we have to pay big money for to get those traits with one guy, get him and cut bait with DQ and Freeman, if not, you may just have to pay Freeman a modest payday but you don't give him a top 5 salary. 

Most any rate, we have to improve that oline at all costs!! A well oiled offense. An improve a mediocre defense IMO but a offense that doesn't score will eventually kill a good defense and the team loses. 

1. Oline

2. CB or LB or another oline guy

3 either of the guys u didn't get in 2

4. BPA

5. BPA

6. BPA

7. BPA

FA. Make 1 big purchase. Either a CB or a Lb'er who can play the pass and the run.