Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Co-ordinator choices

chad72

Who would you like for the next Defensive Co-ordinator?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like for the next DC?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

He got mad at being passed up for the head job in AZ and asked to be released. Went to Cleveland with Chud, who was fired after a year. Then got back with Whisenhunt in Tennessee, who was fired.

Horton jumping around isn't his fault. Maybe he was petulant in leaving AZ, but it was inconsequential as Arians was probably going to bring his own guy in anyways.

Yeah, maybe you're right. He seems too talented to be looking this often. 

Chud is a good resource to find out what kind of guy he is and if he liked working with him I'm sure he's throwing his name around as we speak.

Time to go back to 4-3, but that does not matter due to the softness of the D over so many years. For entertainment, Rex's brother. Not even Buddy Ryan would make a difference. The Colts just don't have that punishing toughness. Have to go way, way back to the 68 and 71 Colt era and those Mid 70's team for that.

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I prefer Pettine..... experienced, young.....has coached some awfully good Defenses

I don't know man.

Hasn't Cleveland taken us out to the tool shed and beaten us over the head with rusty vice grips enough?

One of these days we are going to have to learn that if someone is not good enough to play or coach in Cleveland, then we need to take a pass. 

We are like Charlie Brown thinking Peppermint Patty is really going to let us kick the ball this time. 

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't know man.

Hasn't Cleveland taken us out to the tool shed and beaten us over the head with rusty vice grips enough?

One of these days we are going to have to learn that if someone is not good enough to play or coach in Cleveland, then we need to take a pass. 

We are like Charlie Brown thinking Peppermint Patty is really going to let us kick the ball this time. 

Just because T-Rich didn't work out, doesn't mean anyone that comes through Cleveland is worthless. Chud has done some great things with the offense given the circumstances. A HC not working out in Cleveland doesn't tell me anything about whether they're a good coordinator or not. Typically they got the job because they were good coordinators, but they're set up for failure as soon as they take the Cleveland HC job.

Pettine's past resume speaks for itself. Most notably OLB coach for Ravens (when their defense was a juggernaut) and DC for the Jets (when they had a ridiculous defense).

14 minutes ago, C0lts088 said:

Doesn't  Schwartz run a 4-3 scheme

Historically, yes.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Just because T-Rich didn't work out, doesn't mean anyone that comes through Cleveland is worthless. Chud has done some great things with the offense given the circumstances. A HC not working out in Cleveland doesn't tell me anything about whether they're a good coordinator or not. Typically they got the job because they were good coordinators, but they're set up for failure as soon as they take the Cleveland HC job.

Pettine's past resume speaks for itself. Most notably OLB coach for Ravens (when their defense was a juggernaut) and DC for the Jets (when they had a ridiculous defense).

I am not saying it won't work out for him as a DC. I am saying that he should not be at the top of our list. JMO.

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not saying it won't work out for him as a DC. I am saying that he should not be at the top of our list. JMO.

But your only reason is that he came through Cleveland? You take that job hoping to do something with a s*** team and already know you'll more than likely only get one season to get it right, but won't be able to because the owner is a meddling joke.

Just now, Shive said:

But your only reason is that he came through Cleveland? You take that job hoping to do something with a s*** team and already know you'll more than likely only get one season to get it right, but won't be able to because the owner is a meddling *.

It has taken me several years to fully appreciate Sam Wyche's view of Cleveland. Sure it was funny then, and still funny to this day. But did Sam really intend for it to be humorous? Did he?

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

It has taken me several years to fully appreciate Sam Wyche's view of Cleveland. Sure it was funny then, and still funny to this day. But did Sam really intend for it to be humorous? Did he?

Self-fulfilling prophecy? lol. I feel like Cleveland does it to themselves though, and Haslam as an owner is a joke that keeps on giving.

16 minutes ago, mintor said:

Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton

Panthers DC Sean McDermot

Vikings DC George Edwards

There's no way we're getting Sean McDermott. He's a hot HC candidate right now and I can't see him doing a lateral move to be our DC when he's had so much success in Carolina.

Same with Edwards. Most DC's still on a staff will not do a lateral move, and typically can't because their teams block them from interviewing with another team.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't know man.

Darth Hoodie was once a losing coach in Cleveland too.....

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't know man.

Seems like I remember Bill Belichick coached in Cleveland. You might want to rethink some things you say?

3 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Pettine would want to have a say in Defensive draft picks.  Grigson wouldn't let that happen.  Pettine would probably never agree to coming on board unless Grigson acquiesces some control.  Maybe this is the "new" Grigson, maybe not.

I don't think routinely that coordinators get to come in and say who they want and get in a draft or FA. Now a good head coach and GM should listen to all the input from their coordinators and evaluate all that input to make a decision on who to look into and how to scout for prospects that fit the system. If the GM scouts people and decides they really like player X but the coordinator and head coach agree that player X doesn't fit the scheme as well as player Y or Z, then a quality GM will listen to his coaches and re-evaluate taking such a player. Nothing like picking a small penetrating 270 pound DT to play in a system that requires your new player to be an imovable object at the NT position. 

Saying that, I don't think coordinators get that kinda say in personnel decisions to turn down positions based on total input for his players. 

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Darth Hoodie was once a losing coach in Cleveland too.....

That is when the curse started. He was turning the Browns into a power house until they announced the move to Baltimore. What they did in Cleveland during Belichick's tenure changed the landscape of football forever. 

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't know man.

Chud came from Cleveland, so did D'Qwell Jackson.  

Chud has been good.  D'Qwell Jackson's play has been seriously underrated on these forums.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Chud came from Cleveland, so did D'Qwell Jackson.  

Chud has been good.  D'Qwell Jackson's play has been seriously underrated on these forums.  

The book is still out on Chud. I am not against him and certainly am not rooting against him. I would not call what he has done a success or a failure. If he gets an opportunity to establish his offense in a full off-season, then we will have a better understanding of him.

I have not been a D'Qwell basher. I have actually pointed out that he has played well. 

47 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The book is still out on Chud. I am not against him and certainly am not rooting against him. I would not call what he has done a success or a failure. If he gets an opportunity to establish his offense in a full off-season, then we will have a better understanding of him.

I have not been a D'Qwell basher. I have actually pointed out that he has played well. 

My point is that why would we pass on Pettine just because he was fired as the HC of the Browns.

Also want to point out that the Browns don't necessarily select bad coaches. . . they just never give those coaches a chance.  Their team is a dumpster fire that has been quarterbacked the whole season by either a career backup in his 30's or an alcoholic.  To no one's surprise they didn't win much.  

Last year Pettine won quite a few games with Brian Hoyer.  So I think if Cleveland could supply their coach with a QB that isn't being seen every other week plastered at some party then they might honestly have a decent shot at competing in a very tough division.  But Belichek himself couldn't make the Browns into winners with what they have at QB right now.  

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I don't think routinely that coordinators get to come in and say who they want and get in a draft or FA. Now a good head coach and GM should listen to all the input from their coordinators and evaluate all that input to make a decision on who to look into and how to scout for prospects that fit the system. If the GM scouts people and decides they really like player X but the coordinator and head coach agree that player X doesn't fit the scheme as well as player Y or Z, then a quality GM will listen to his coaches and re-evaluate taking such a player. Nothing like picking a small penetrating 270 pound DT to play in a system that requires your new player to be an imovable object at the NT position. 

Saying that, I don't think coordinators get that kinda say in personnel decisions to turn down positions based on total input for his players. 

Precisely, very good points, I worry about the bolded above however.  

32 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Precisely, very good points, I worry about the bolded above however.  

Well I feel like Irsay got these two under control and to agree to stay inside their roles or I don't believe he would have re-signed the GM and/or the coach. I honestly believe that if Irsay felt he couldn't handle that direction, we would be in search of a new GM. Grigson has made some very nice moves and a hand full of mistakes. It happens and the fact that he isn't warm and fuzzy have clouded people's minds IMO. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

That is when the curse started. He was turning the Browns into a power house until they announced the move to Baltimore. What they did in Cleveland during Belichick's tenure changed the landscape of football forever. 

Nah the Browns biggest problem outside of not having a QB is the guy running the show has the football mind of my grandma (the living one)....and I assure you if she had the money she would have no business owning and running a football franchise on ANY level or ANY sports franchise for that matter. Haslam may or may not be a smart man but as far as a football related decisions he is an *. He has blown things up for the 3rd time in Cleveland.....It will continue until he either steps away and gives all football related decisions to someone qualified (He is not) or until he is dead.

None of that is a shot of him though

I'm only a fan, certainly not an expert. To me, Schwartz always seems out of control, thus his players are too. Always near the top in statistics, but somewhere along the line, Heynesworth, Finnigan, Suh, or someone gets a personal foul that costs the game. His teams never compete for championships.

Want statistics, sign him.

Want championships, stay away from him....

Something I recently realized, it could just be coincidence, but the first guy they went after for DC was Keith Butler from Pittsburgh.  He wound up declining, and they hired Manusky instead.  Then recently the rumor that Ted Monachino is one of the top candidates.  One thing these guys all have in common...they were, or are LB coaches when they were assistants.  As I said, could just be coincidence, or it could be that Pagano has a preference that his DC had previously worked with LBs as a position coach.  

13 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Pettine would want to have a say in Defensive draft picks.  Grigson wouldn't let that happen.  Pettine would probably never agree to coming on board unless Grigson acquiesces some control.  Maybe this is the "new" Grigson, maybe not.

That is your opinion. Draft picks are listed on a board under advisement from more than one person. I know it is one person who pulls the trigger but very seldom is it just one persons opinion.