Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Announcement Tonight Per colts and 1070 (Merge)

bababooey

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think this is a good thing -- whether Pagano is ultimately retained or not.  I have no idea where this will go.  But it does clearly suggest that Irsay isn't just bringing Pags in, feeding him a line of scripted bull, and showing him the door.

All in all, I thought Pagano did a pretty good job getting to 8-8 with a team that had a lousy O-line, an injured star QB, an injured backup QB, and a defense with a number of key holes.

We need a different GM, not necessarily a different coach.

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Hopefully Irsay says both are staying but their roles have changed (or been clarified).  Chuck makes all the on field decisions.  Grigs gets the players Chuck wants.....and that's it!

Can you imagine an old fashioned duke it out, airing of greivances, couples therapy session in Irsay's office today to be able to get back on the same page

5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

In case anyone wonders what a dysfunctional organization looks like, today is a peek. Can't even execute a press conference.

Not really.  Cleveland is a dysfunctional organization.  The Colts have been a very well run stable organization IMO.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think this means Pagano stays.

I believe so too, but I think irsay needs to create some sustainability between grigs and pagano to stop these so called rifts. my favorite line from bill parcells "they expect you to make dinner, the least they can do is let you help shop for the groceries" 

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Can you imagine an old fashioned duke it out, airing of greivances, couples therapy session in Irsay's office today to be able to get back on the same page

I'm hopeful that's what happened.

I'm fine with Pagano staying, I'm fine if he goes as well. He's done a decent job, especially this year given we've had 5 QBs play in a game, which is absurd.

My biggest issue with Pagano is his random couple games a year where the team looks completely unprepared and gets blown out. (STL, AZ, JAX, PIT x2, NE x3, etc.)

He needs to be more consistent.

6 minutes ago, azcolt said:

In case anyone wonders what a dysfunctional organization looks like, today is a peek. Can't even execute a press conference.

Nothing to have a presser about if they are still talking. Nothing Dysfunctional about that. :scratch:

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Hopefully Irsay says both are staying but their roles have changed (or been clarified).  Chuck makes all the on field decisions.  Grigs gets the players Chuck wants.....and that's it!

You hope Grigson stays despite all the awful personnel moves he's made?  Hmm.  I realize Colts fans are split about Pagano.  But I haven't run into too many people who defend Ryan Grigson, even if he wasn't micromanaging.

The guy is a former offensive lineman who apparently either doesn't realize how important an offensive line is to a football team or is inept at evaluating O linemen.

Grigson has to be among the candidates for worst GM in the league.

Interesting....

If they were letting his contract expire, wouldn't that be that?  Could they be working a new contract for Pagano and that might include some input on a Grigson replacement?

(I'm not a media guy, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express...within the past year).

2 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

It could be that Irsay is working first to ensure he has a suitable replacement for Chuck. Might not want to ditch Chuck unless he knows he has his guy.

If that is what he's doing and Chuck knows it, I'd walk out if I were him.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

If that were the case, that would probably mean Grigson is gone and Colts promote within. 

I would hope that Irsay would have learned his lesson on getting a GM that had no experience.  Promoting from within wouldn't work unless he has someone on the payroll that has GM experience which I doubt or why would he have hired Grigson to begin with but what do I know. :dunno:

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Just thankful this announcement won't interrupt my live tweet of The Bachelor premiere tonight

OK......

We may knock heads from time to time,   but this is OFFICIALLY the funniest Post of the Day!

Bravo!      Well played!!          :spit:         :funny:

Just now, Superman said:

I get the "Grigson is gone" part. I don't get the "Colts promote within" part. Why do you say that?

If Colts hire a new GM, I would assume he would want to have his own coach brought in. 

Promoting Jimmy Raye III or Kevin Rogers would seem ideal then.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think this means Pagano stays.

Could be, and I'm fine with that.

But, there would be a contract to offer, reviewed, slept over, and accepted, or not.

Then there could be a fence to mend, or not.

These things could go either way still, but apparently Gruden isn't being introduced this evening.....     :)

1 minute ago, MTC said:

If Colts hire a new GM, I would assume he would want to have his own coach brought in. 

Not if Pagano helps pick the GM.

New England and Seattle are two teams off the top of my head that have done this. 

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

Typically, yes. There are a few coaches that have been involved in choosing the GM, though. If this is a power struggle as it's been painted, I would think Pagano would be hoping to have a say in who the new GM is, and just like those other teams that have gone that way recently, it could be an outside candidate.

This whole thing is quirky, though. No telling what happens.

6 minutes ago, Susie Q said:

I would hope that Irsay would have learned his lesson on getting a GM that had no experience.  Promoting from within wouldn't work unless he has someone on the payroll that has GM experience which I doubt or why would he have hired Grigson to begin with but what do I know. :dunno:

I could be convinced the Colts have somebody already in the organization that would make for a good GM, but hadn't yet worked as a GM for any other team.  You have to start somewhere, after all.

The problem with Grigson isn't that he didn't have prior experience at being a GM.  The problem with Grigson is that he's not very good at being a GM.

Put it this way:  Grigson now has 4 years experience as an NFL GM.  If you owned a franchise, would you hire him as yours?

I thought the most interesting part of yesterday's Pagano Post-Game Speech was the fact that both Irsay and Grigson were standing 10-12 feet away from him.

Because the subtext of Pagano's speech was this.........   "Can you believe they're going to fire me and keep HIM?!?     Crazy, isn't it?!?"    

Glad Pagano had his moment.....     not sure how this is going to play out.    Perhaps Irsay is aware that Pagano is seen as a good coach elsewhere in the NFL and maybe it's beginning to register for him?     Hope so....