Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Carolina go for 16-0?

amfootball

Should Carolina go for 16-0?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Carolina with a win today could secure HFA or wrap it up next week with a win. Should they go for 16-0 or rest their starters for the post-season?

• Go for 16-0!
    • No. Rest starters. Do not want a key injury.
    • Does not matter.

33 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Of course.  Colts have shown what can happen when you don't maintain your momentum going into the playoffs (2005 season divisional loss vs. Pittsburg).

May no longer be an issue after today, the Giants could spoil that.

But yeah, if they keep winning, of course you go for it.

They're not the new england patriots. We all know the patriots are going to the super bowl this year. And belichick is too much of a mastermind for a rookie team to just come in and run all over the pats. Especially after what the defense was able to do at the last seconds of the seahawks game.

They just keep keepin' on....

I've been hearing things all year on here like  "they're the worst undefeated team"   "they're not really the real deal"   "Cam is not really that good of of QB"   and etc...  etc...  etc...  The Panthers beg to differ.

I thought the Giants would be their spoiler, but now I really think they go all the Way. 

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

They're not the new england patriots. We all know the patriots are going to the super bowl this year. And belichick is too much of a mastermind for a rookie team to just come in and run all over the pats. Especially after what the defense was able to do at the last seconds of the seahawks game.

Please.....

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

It just doesn't mean anything to me.  Better teams than the 72 Dolphins never went undefeated.

That is true,  gave you a like because I think a team like the 2006Colts would clean the 72 Dolphins clock but I would've loved to seen us have the 19-0 mark in 2009 just to say we did that and be a rare part of history. I don't think the 72 Dolphins are a Top 5 team ever overall but they still will always be considered in the argument because of 17-0.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

They host two bad teams to end the year. Even if they rest a few injured guys they might still beat both the Bucs and Falcons.

They are at the Falcons, and I think that could be their last obstacle.  I was calling for either the giants or @Falcons for them to lose, if they did.

go for it.  makes no sense to rest players that are not injured or tired, just ask jeff saturday

if cam is more than a little banged up you rest him, but if its things he would normally play through then go ahead and run the table

i dont buy that teams on win streaks "need to lose" to get the pressure off

The Panthers are VERY due for a loss, the same way the 2009 Colts were, and the same way the 2007 Pats were.

Winning the Super Bowl is far more important than going undefeated into the playoffs. 

Every team is going to have bad games. if you go back and look at Super Bowl winners that went 13-3 or 14-2, they lost those games because it just happens. However, it relieves the tension from those teams once they have lost one or two games. 

If I were a Panthers fan, my biggest fear would be that the team gets in the playoffs and then has that one bad game where everything goes wrong for them, when the stakes are at the highest.

I believe the 2007 Patriots probably had a better chance winning that Super Bowl if they would have lost one of their nail biter games, weather it be Baltimore or Philly. When they got into the SB at 18-0, the stakes were so high, and they were long, long overdue for a loss. 

No team is going to go 19-0 ever. The longer that streak goes, and the stakes raise, the higher the chance is to fall, and I hope they do go the full 16-0, because it would guarantee they're going to fall in the playoffs or Super Bowl. 

We are to the point where crappy teams have won Super Bowls. The 2007 Giants, the 2010 Packers, and 2011 Giants. If those teams can win Super Bowls after barely making the playoffs by the skin of their teeth; anyone can knock out a 16-0 Panthers team in the playoffs. 

On 12/20/2015 at 5:53 PM, BOTT said:

It just doesn't mean anything to me.  Better teams than the 72 Dolphins never went undefeated.

Totally disagree with you on this. It was an entire different ball game back in the 70's and even the 80's. Those old 70's teams played a lot more physical on defense. In the Super Bowl; Washington only crossed the 50 yard line only once in that entire game. The Dolphins "No name defense" had completely shut them down. 

It's amazing too the Dolphins accomplished the undefeated run after losing their quarterback for the rest of the season. That's something that would never happen today, and goes to show how much the NFL has changed in the last 40 years. 

19 minutes ago, Bogie said:

The Panthers are VERY due for a loss, the same way the 2009 Colts were, and the same way the 2007 Pats were.

Winning the Super Bowl is far more important than going undefeated into the playoffs. 

Every team is going to have bad games. if you go back and look at Super Bowl winners that went 13-3 or 14-2, they lost those games because it just happens. However, it relieves the tension from those teams once they have lost one or two games. 

If I were a Panthers fan, my biggest fear would be that the team gets in the playoffs and then has that one bad game where everything goes wrong for them, when the stakes are at the highest.

I believe the 2007 Patriots probably had a better chance winning that Super Bowl if they would have lost one of their nail biter games, weather it be Baltimore or Philly. When they got into the SB at 18-0, the stakes were so high, and they were long, long overdue for a loss. 

No team is going to go 19-0 ever. The longer that streak goes, and the stakes raise, the higher the chance is to fall, and I hope they do go the full 16-0, because it would guarantee they're going to fall in the playoffs or Super Bowl. 

We are to the point where crappy teams have won Super Bowls. The 2007 Giants, the 2010 Packers, and 2011 Giants. If those teams can win Super Bowls after barely making the playoffs by the skin of their teeth; anyone can knock out a 16-0 Panthers team in the playoffs. 

I doubt it either. If the 2007 Pats didn't do it and they were right there with the chance......I am hesitant on it ever happening.

What would be odd for a story line is if say the 18-0 Panthers played the Patriots in the SB........

I think the Panthers should do whatever the coaches and players want to do.  If they want to go for 16-0 then go for it.

The whole notion that the Panthers are "due" for a loss is kind of laughable, the NFL has proven over the years that there is no "due".  

Since there is no way to predict an injury you might as well play for the moment.  But if they feel some guys that have been playing injured could do with a rest then that should be up to the coaches and then to some extent the team.  

But as annoying and childish as the antics are of some of their star players (some want to act like people that don't like the antics are insecure (now I'm not saying the people that say that are stupid but that is definitely something that stupid people think), they seem to be having fun out there... let them continue to have fun.

On 12/20/2015 at 8:06 AM, ponyboy said:

Of course.  Colts have shown what can happen when you don't maintain your momentum going into the playoffs (2005 season divisional loss vs. Pittsburg).

That had a bit more to do with the Dungy's son committing suicide than because they rested their starters.

The Colts gave away their chance for 19-0..they threw it away..and we all said it at the time.

I don't have any great love for Carolina or Cam but I hope they go all out fpr their own sake.

They will regret it for as long as they live if they sit healthy players.

There is a Super Bowl champ every year.
Since the merger, a perfect season has been done only once. obviously.

16-0 is a big deal but 19-0 is immortality....

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The Colts gave away their chance for 19-0..they threw it away..and we all said it at the time.

I don't have any great love for Carolina or Cam but I hope they go all out fpr their own sake.

They will regret it for as long as they live if they sit healthy players.

There is a Super Bowl champ every year.
Since the merger, a perfect season has been done only once. obviously.

16-0 is a big deal but 19-0 is immortality....

Cam Newton did go perfect in college when he won the national championship in a FG game, just saying :).

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That had a bit more to do with the Dungy's son committing suicide than because they rested their starters.

Maybe the loss to SD in week 15 had more to do with Dungy's son committing suicide.  But I feel that coming out rusty and out of sync in the first half of the divisional game against Pittsburgh had more to do with the two to three weeks off many starters had.   They lost their momentum that they had built all season.  Just my opinion.

On December 20, 2015 at 5:39 PM, The Peytonator said:

No team with balls would quit on a chance at an undefeated season. 

That should be a slogan on a t-shirt PNTR. Don't broadcast it to the media though. 

We all remember what happened to RG3 right? Slogans, fabrics, & a big mouth ego equals a calamity. 

Insert scary theme music here....Okay, I just like it because it's hysterical....

I think when you have 14-0 you have to keep winning, I'm just not a fan of the pressure it puts on a team to be undefeated.  I'd much rather a team lose a game early on so it's not having to deal with the hype and focus.  

However, Cam is careless with his own safety and teams will be gunning for him.  He is that team and if they're not careful it could be a costly decision.