Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive OG Todd Herremans and LB Amarlo Herrera; sign LB Andy Studebaker

MTC

Well, Grigs is cutting his losses. He used to say "when you have Luck as your QB, you have a small window to take chances". Now, things are different.

His latest draft has shown him the right way to build through the draft. He is far from Matt Millen that he will have several draftees still playing in the NFL for a while but I fancy he will be less aggressive in free agency than in the past after seeing the draft picks starting to work out more.

He was indeed learning the hard way on the job. To be honest, contrary to popular opinion, I would keep Grigson and Pagano but fire the DC and OL coaches and bring in better coaches including a new QB coach.

Grigson's offensive line moves:

Drafted Hugh Thornton (bust) and Khaled Holmes (bust)

Signed Todd Herremans (bust)

Overpaid a mediocre right tackle in Gosder Cherlius

Signed C Samson Satele and RG Mike McGlynn (ha ha)

:pokerface:

Grigson is not capable of building an offensive line. The only slightly positive move he made was drafting Jack Mewhort. You can argue he overpaid Castonzo and Reitz (at the time as a depth player) as well.

4 minutes ago, MTC said:

Grigson is not capable of building an offensive line. The only slightly positive move he made was drafting Jack Mewhort. You can argue he overpaid Castonzo and Reitz (at the time as a depth player) as well.

That means we are going to give Alex Boone a 5yr 50 million deal this off-season right?

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

Most definitely did not overpay either of those guys. Have you seen the talent around this league lately....If anything he got a discount. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, Grigs is cutting his losses. He used to say "when you have Luck as your QB, you have a small window to take chances". Now, things are different.

His latest draft has shown him the right way to build through the draft. He is far from Matt Millen that he will have several draftees still playing in the NFL for a while but I fancy he will be less aggressive in free agency than in the past after seeing the draft picks starting to work out more.

He was indeed learning the hard way on the job. To be honest, contrary to popular opinion, I would keep Grigson and Pagano but fire the DC and OL coaches and bring in better coaches including a new QB coach.

After the last two weeks, throw the ST's coach in with that group.

12 minutes ago, MTC said:

Err...

Thornton was playing lights out this year until injury.  You can't really predict those.  Holmes isn't bad either not his fault the coaching staff refuses to play the guy over a completely trash Center in Harrison.  Herremans was awful but not really like we lost anything...  Cherilus served us well and filled exactly what we needed a stop gap tackle.  Satele.. shiver...  McGlynn wasn't bad just out of position and strictly a backup.  

Not sure if that is unable to build an offensive line...  Grigs is just learning on the job.  Which is the reason why it was a dumb move to get a rookie GM with our rookie QB.  That is nothing we can change now so lets just keep the HC and GM we have groomed and see where there potential lies.  I honestly think both have a high ceiling given they get the chance to get some experience.  And some better counterparts (OC/DC/ST/QBC)

25 minutes ago, MTC said:

Thornton's not a bust. Will he ever live up to his pro bowl potential? Probably not, but he's not a bust.

1 minute ago, Solon said:

Thornton's not a bust. Will he ever live up to his pro bowl potential? Probably not, but he's not a bust.

He's part of the problem on why Luck gets pressured so much. Our interior line is awful.

37 minutes ago, bababooey said:

From butt naked in the body issue to cut in a few months. How the mighty have fallen...

He was living on reputation for about a season and a half before we signed him. That's why Philly cut him and we signed him on the cheap. He only received a one year deal for 1.85 with a mill guaranteed. Usually O linemen are still OK at 32-33 years old . Looks like Herremans was an exception. No doubt a bad sign by Griggs but can't totally diss him for spending that little money hoping for a "bounce back" season.

26 minutes ago, MTC said:

I disagree with several other of your statements as well, but choosing to just go with the one about Reitz for now. Well, you could argue that he overpaid Reitz at the time, but since we now have the hindsight bias that we do, we could also more or less just conclude that he didn't overpay for him at all. 

Taking into factor not only how well he has actually played this year, but also the extent to how important he's been because of injuries to other players, this just goes to show it was a great signing. Which I frankly think Grigson hasn't received enough credit for in general. So making that argument at this time, just seems very off to me.

42 minutes ago, Mjølner said:

I disagree with several other of your statements as well, but choosing to just go with the one about Reitz for now. Well, you could argue that he overpaid Reitz at the time, but since we now have the hindsight bias that we do, we could also more or less just conclude that he didn't overpay for him at all. 

Taking into factor not only how well he has actually played this year, but also the extent to how important he's been because of injuries to other players, this just goes to show it was a great signing. Which I frankly think Grigson hasn't received enough credit for in general. So making that argument at this time, just seems very off to me.

Yeah, neither AC nor Reitz is overpaid.

1 hour ago, SilentHill said:

Herramans deal wasn't that bad, it was only a 1yr 1.5 mil deal.

A little more than that, have to add in his per game bonuses, basically $59K for every game he was active. Still, not a bad deal for veteran depth. Too bad he didn't work out. I thought he could swing between tackle and guard, but he was awful at guard, and never played tackle.

13 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

had to pay Castonzo, and Anthony took a very reasonable, team friendly deal.  Cherilus should have been kept.  He is starting all season in Tampa, and was sorely missed here this season.

We'd be looking alright I have to say if we'd have kept Cherilus.  Depth would be really good too at the tackles with Good and Reitz.  There were decisions to be made with his injury though.

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Thornton is not a bust.  Even though I didn't like Satele or McGlynn, I'm not sure who you wanted him to sign at that point, the Colts were in dead cap money hell.  I have seen very few argue that AC and Reitz were overpaid.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

The sad thing is the window is Closing because Luck's next contract will take up a massive part of the salary cap.

I blame Grigson for letting these 4 years go waste without building an offensive line that not only protects our QB but one that open holes for the running game. The O line has been a complete failure under his reign.  

I respect the good moves he has made and I forgive some of the mistakes but not addressing the O line with TOP priority is a reason to let him go at seasons end