Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adongo Out, pending investigation..... ugh

Jackie Daytona

Just now, 18Manning said:

He's not a big-time play maker, but still...

Doesn't take a lot for someone to be taken out of a game. A girl friend can get mad at a player and really mess things up for him.

I do agree on your statement.  We would be freaking if it was Vontae or someone...

Geez, the guy isn't injured, not around for the supposed questioning, no charges filed...and is STILL held out of the game.

Man, if that ain't bad luck I don't know what is.  Let's see if he can find another way of working himself off the roster.  I like the guy, really do, but he is NOT getting enough playing time to get a real evaluation of his talent.  Not that it's any real loss, but I think he's gone after this year.

16 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm surprised this situation doesn't happen more with QB's. Some woman yells rape at Tom Brady, and all Brady can do is smile.

Ughh...no reason to sully Tom's name...it could be anyone and it doesn't seem Tom puts himself in positions to have things like this said about him. He is a pretty stand up guy. Now Ben has gone through some stuff that took time in court to sort out. Can't say here what to make of it. Cops doing their job.....Colts doing theirs....and whether Adongo did or didn't will be sorted out. Sadly too many women are afraid to come forward because these things are so hard to prove etc etc...hopefully the truth comes out and all parties are held responsible or can move forward. Nothing good ever comes of these bad situtaions. Not that being married fixes everything but if your married to a "good" woman and your in a healthy marriage the chances are probably next to nil.....precisely why Brady has never had this happen by the way...or Peyton too for that matter.

I did appreciate this crucial line from the reporter Josh Wilson.

"It's crucial to note that no arrests have been made and that no charges have been filed, so it's important not to jump to any conclusions."

I wish more journalists were this responsible when it came to submitting articles online. Thank you. 

I don't condone domestic violence in any way, shape, or form & yes, the alleged person is presumed innocent until proven guilty obviously. However, it does make me wonder why NFL athletes & famous celebrities don't protect themselves more by way of how do I say this delicately? A financial transaction thru a particular establishment if you know what I mean. 

Look, whatever your moral objections might be toward the oldest profession around, if both parties get something out of it & it prevents a criminal record or extortion down the line, there's a benefit in that arrangement. Also, it allows the player to not get red flagged by the league & other franchises as a trouble maker too controversial to sign or keep on a roster. JMO. 

3 hours ago, 18Manning said:

That's a bunch of bologna. I certainly don't condone domestic violence, but he's being held out of the game not even knowing for sure what happened (if anything).

You do make a valid point 18Manning. Suspicion of a violent act with no paperwork being submitted by the police officers on scene or the presiding district attorney is totally wrong. Daniel has a right to play until formal charges have been processed. An excellent point. 

Does this mean that the Colts organization is taking away a game check from him too on some sort of a morality clause in fine print on all their player contracts over unfounded, alleged misconduct as well? I'm just curious. Because that's reprehensible on a multitude of legal levels if true IMO. 

Naturally, I have no way of knowing how Jim I-rsay's legal team writes their player contracts of course or what is considered grounds for legal termination either. 

40 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You do make a valid point 18Manning. Suspicion of a violent act with no paperwork being submitted by the police officers on scene or the presiding district attorney is totally wrong. Daniel has a right to play until formal charges have been processed. An excellent point. 

Does this mean that the Colts organization is taking away a game check from him too on some sort of a morality clause in fine print on all their player contracts over unfounded, alleged misconduct as well? I'm just curious. Because that's reprehensible on a multitude of legal levels if true IMO. 

Naturally, I have no way of knowing how Jim I-rsay's legal team writes their player contracts of course or what is considered grounds for legal termination either. 

Not sure how much latitude is involved in NFL contracts beyond salary and years.

Otherwise,  I think most things are pretty standard.

As for termination, a team doesn't need a reason.   They can cut any player at any time.    At that point, the only thing to settle is the money and even there it's spelled out what the team owes the player.

So most of these things are pretty cut and dried.

As for Adongo,   there's enough for the team not to feel comfortable playing him so he's inactive.   He still gets paid while he's on the team.     Once this is settled,  the team either cuts him and settles up,   or he stays on the roster.

If I'm wrong on anything here -- and I might be -- Superman or another poster will come along and correct me.

2 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Goodness. If this story is 100% true as reported, then yeah, guilty until proven innocent comes to mind just as TBBZ suggests earlier.

Not really. There's no judgment being passed. He's not being punished. He hasn't been released or suspended. He still gets paid the same amount. 

This is entirely a cautious PR based moved by the Colts. The merits of the approach are debatable, but they are protecting their organization from being accused of taking a careless, nonchalant attitude toward domestic violence allegations. Because they don't know how this situation is going to play out, what additional information might come out over the next few days, etc., this is actually prudent of them. 

I agree that it's not necessarily fair to Adongo, but it's not the Colts fault the police were called to his home.

It's Adongo. Does it really matter? Another project who's been around to long. I would have rather seen what Hodges could do.

I think if it were worth the risk of playing him we would take a closer look at it. Maybe we know something. 

He can't help protect Matt's ribs or get to a QB no reason to risk negative publicity 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure how much latitude is involved in NFL contracts beyond salary and years.

Otherwise,  I think most things are pretty standard.

As for termination, a team doesn't need a reason.   They can cut any player at any time.    At that point, the only thing to settle is the money and even there it's spelled out what the team owes the player.

So most of these things are pretty cut and dried.

As for Adongo,   there's enough for the team not to feel comfortable playing him so he's inactive.   He still gets paid while he's on the team.     Once this is settled,  the team either cuts him and settles up,   or he stays on the roster.

If I'm wrong on anything here -- and I might be -- Superman or another poster will come along and correct me.

A good post NFC, but my question revolved around morality clauses in player contracts not a production or performance evaluation by the coaching staff or team owner. I know that contract language can limit or forbid dangerous activities like bungee jumping, base jumping, derby or car racing, motorcycle riding, & anything dare devil related that might get a star player heavily injured. 

I just don't see how any NFL team can legally sit a player down before any charges have been filed. That's out of bounds to me. Once that happens, I'm cool with doing that & still paying the man his game check, but not before an official complaint has been submitted. 

Otherwise, franchises set a horrible precedent where a man can be symbolically convicted or punished without any inkling of misconduct which should never be tolerated in the NFL. You can't just sit a guy down over a bad press clipping. That's outrageous to me. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Not really. There's no judgment being passed. He's not being punished. He hasn't been released or suspended. He still gets paid the same amount. 

This is entirely a cautious PR based moved by the Colts. The merits of the approach are debatable, but they are protecting their organization from being accused of taking a careless, nonchalant attitude toward domestic violence allegations. Because they don't know how this situation is going to play out, what additional information might come out over the next few days, etc., this is actually prudent of them. 

I agree that it's not necessarily fair to Adongo, but it's not the Colts fault the police were called to his home.

Oh, I agree. Was trying to make a point about the story from the perspective of Adongo's innocence or guilt. The Colts did the right thing, no question. It just boils my clams that the media paint certain pictures that may or may not be true without all the evidence to correctly evaluate. Guess I should'a been more clear with my post.

7 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

I do agree on your statement.  We would be freaking if it was Vontae or someone...

If it was Vontae this thread would already be locked with too many pages and a fight and a new one started already.

But, it's poor old Adongo here.......don't even know whats going on.

I just want to keep typing out Adongo.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

A good post NFC, but my question revolved around morality clauses in player contracts not a production or performance evaluation by the coaching staff or team owner. I know that contract language can limit or forbid dangerous activities like bungee jumping, base jumping, derby or car racing, motorcycle riding, & anything dare devil related that might get a star player heavily injured. 

I just don't see how any NFL team can legally sit a player down before any charges have been filed. That's out of bounds to me. Once that happens, I'm cool with doing that & still paying the man his game check, but not before an official complaint has been submitted. 

Otherwise, franchises set a horrible precedent where a man can be symbolically convicted or punished without any inkling of misconduct which should never be tolerated in the NFL. You can't just sit a guy down over a bad press clipping. That's outrageous to me. 

I understand your thoughts on this.  OTOH, the NFL has written into its league Rules and Regulations items concerning personal conduct; for NFL employees.  I have taken a couple of excerpts from it-

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE - Personal Conduct Policy
All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League.”

... as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime. Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:

** Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person **

The NFL explicitly says they (players and all other employees) are held to a higher standard.  When something arises, they will investigate independently, and utilize investigations of the State and Federal governments, as appropriate. Certainly they feel it within their power to suspend players with pay until investigation(s) are complete.  I don't believe it has anything to do with what is in a players contract.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

19 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Geez, the guy isn't injured, not around for the supposed questioning, no charges filed...and is STILL held out of the game.

Man, if that ain't bad luck I don't know what is.  Let's see if he can find another way of working himself off the roster.  I like the guy, really do, but he is NOT getting enough playing time to get a real evaluation of his talent.  Not that it's any real loss, but I think he's gone after this year.

Grigson needs to keep him around  long enough to be productive, even if it takes 15 years so Grigson can show everyone how smart he is for bringing him here.

16 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Oh, I agree. Was trying to make a point about the story from the perspective of Adongo's innocence or guilt. The Colts did the right thing, no question. It just boils my clams that the media paint certain pictures that may or may not be true without all the evidence to correctly evaluate. Guess I should'a been more clear with my post.

So the Colts did the right thing by suspending a guy because of what the media or internet bloggers portray the situation to be. 

That's quite a dumb thing to do and very unfair.  How about this

If the Colts want to find out what happened, spend several thousands of dollars hiring their own PIs to find out what the evidence is...or...wait until the taxpayer funded judicial system does it (I suggest the latter).  Only after either of the two happen will the Colts be in a position to affect Daniel's life in an informed and fair way.

Which means that suspending him before that is unfair.

This is just the result of us all being trained to react in a real way to Fake Outrage.