Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texas A&M has sued the Indianapolis Colts for unauthorized use to its 12th Man trademarks. (Merge)

Dustin

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this offensive to someone who is actually the 12th Man.

I think all 12th men should sue Texas A&M for trademarking such a derogatory phrase.  It's insulting to all the 12th man out there.

I always thought '12th Man' was a derogatory term for Native Americans.

Yeah, that's it.

I'm offended.

Might as well!  In this politically correct society we live in I'm surprised people haven't had to cough up millions because somebody looked at them wrong.

Too many crybabies out there.

Well, sad to say, you look at someone wrong, you must be dissin' them. You get shot, and robbed.

Well, at least in Chicago you do.

Well, sad to say, you look at someone wrong, you must be dissin' them. You get shot, and robbed.

Well, at least in Chicago you do.

Wait a minute, how can that happen in Chicago?  Chicago has the most restrictive gun laws in the country and that has been guaranteed to reduce not only gun violence but violence in general.

I better stay on topic.  Go Colts... Go 12th Man.

where did the Colts use their trademark? I know they refer to the 12th man but I don't think i've seen it anywhere official

CTooibeWIAAfu73.jpg

Pretty recent use honestly, and it's surprising that the marketing department could've been so careless. What I'm curious about is whether A&M sent a cease and desist letter, or if they just lawyered up and filed a suit right away.

CTooibeWIAAfu73.jpg

Pretty recent use honestly, and it's surprising that the marketing department could've been so careless. What I'm curious about is whether A&M sent a cease and desist letter, or if they just lawyered up and filed a suit right away.

The article I read stated that Texas A&M reached out but got no response.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/2015/11/12/the-colts-are-being-sued-for-calling-their-fans-the-man/32m7xwppHpqBMx2TYFqzEP/story.html?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Afacebook

Oh, I didn't know. What an outrageous thing to be able to trademark, but maybe I just think that because I'm not from US?

Gene Simmons has a patent on the term "axe" when applied to a guitar or bass.

Apparently Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn has filed a trademark application for the phrase "Hurry Up No Huddle". Seems it might be becoming a popular thing to do in the college ranks?

How pathetic and ROFL!!!  Tell the Aggies to take a hike!  

Get some trademark sharks to get their flimsy mark tossed out of the books!   12th man is a generic term shouldnt have even been trademark worthy that and it looks like the Colts are using it in unique phrase....

What did Missouri do?

Not going to derail the thread but all the stupid crap going on right now. The kid who's crying about white privelage while his dad just made 8.4 million dollars last year. Or now holding a unity meeting but no whites aloud.

Not going to derail the thread but all the stupid crap going on right now. The kid who's crying about white privelage while his dad just made 8.4 million dollars last year. Or now holding a unity meeting but no whites aloud.

How is that at all similar to trademark infringement?

Might as well!  In this politically correct society we live in I'm surprised people haven't had to cough up millions because somebody looked at them wrong.

Too many crybabies out there.

We should make a law against being politically correct....anyone found guilty of being politically correct should be subject to a hefty fine. Think of all the dollars we could get for useful projects like infrastructure. :)

CTooibeWIAAfu73.jpg

How pathetic and ROFL!!!  Tell the Aggies to take a hike!  

Get some trademark sharks to get their flimsy mark tossed out of the books!   12th man is a generic term shouldnt have even been trademark worthy that and it looks like the Colts are using it in unique phrase....

What is trademarked?

"12th man" or "THE 12th man"?

There's a difference.

"On November 12, 2015, Texas A&M filed suit against the Indianapolis Colts after repeated cease and desist requests were ignored by the NFL club."

"Texas A&M University applied on December 26, 1989, for trademark U.S. Ser. No. 74013898 related to usage of the term. The United States Patent and Trademark Office issued the "trademark registration" September 4, 1990, to Texas A&M. Four additional Trademark claims related to the "12th Man" term were also filed and granted at later dates by Texas A&M University (See U.S. Ser. Nos. 74560726, 76671314, 85977835 and 85851199), the first three of which have achieved Incontestable Status as a result of its section 15 affidavit with the Patent and Trademark Office"

12TH MAN

"On November 12, 2015, Texas A&M filed suit against the Indianapolis Colts after repeated cease and desist requests were ignored by the NFL club."

"Texas A&M University applied on December 26, 1989, for trademark U.S. Ser. No. 74013898 related to usage of the term. The United States Patent and Trademark Office issued the "trademark registration" September 4, 1990, to Texas A&M. Four additional Trademark claims related to the "12th Man" term were also filed and granted at later dates by Texas A&M University (See U.S. Ser. Nos. 74560726, 76671314, 85977835 and 85851199), the first three of which have achieved Incontestable Status as a result of its section 15 affidavit with the Patent and Trademark Office"

12TH MAN

Patent trolls are the worst, particularly universities. Can not stand the hypocritical second level education system.