Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck abdominal tear out 2 to 6 weeks (Merge)

TKnight24

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i worked late, get home, get some food, get settled, get laptop, get on the Colts site, get bad-news.....ARGGHHHH!!!!

next on the "get list" -- a cold beverage

must have been one of those plays vs. Denver when one of our O-linemen took an entire play off --- "VROOOM, dang, BAM!!!!!!!!!"

crunch  ---  rip................

thanks rg   :angry:

i worked late, get home, get some food, get settled, get laptop, get on the Colts site, get bad-news.....ARGGHHHH!!!!

must have been one of those plays vs. Denver when one of our O-linemen took an entire play off --- "VROOOM, dang, BAM!!!!!!!!!"

crunch --- rip................

thanks rg :angry:

He was hurt on a scramble. O line was not to blame.

The o-line is to blame for many of this year's "scrambles" --- and don't say it's a coverage thing or a designed play.

Why because on this play Luck ran because he saw an opening to run and didn't see someone to throw the ball too?  So why not bring that up other than it doesn't support the blame the o-line argument? 

Why because on this play Luck ran because he saw an opening to run and didn't see someone to throw the ball too?  So why not bring that up other than it doesn't support the blame the o-line argument? 

because he scrambles most of the time because if he doesn't, he knows he's going to get killed.

Yeah he was injured on a run, I was one that wanted him to run more but I did state he needs to slide when doing so. The O.Line played good, they are not to be blamed. Having said all of that if Andrew doesn't run the way he did I don't think we win the game. So it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree. Even after this injury I still think he needs to run more. But he needs to learn to slide. I don't mind him running as long as he protects himself.

because he scrambles most of the time because if he doesn't, he knows he's going to get killed.

and he doesn't get hurt most of the time when he scrambles. This is one of those football things that happened because of how he got hit. If you want to blame something blame the fact we are in year four and Luck still doesn't know how to slide. Heck even Peyton Manning who runs about as often as a statue knows how to slide.

There is no question that the line leaves a lot to be desired at times, however this injury was not a product of them.

and he doesn't get hurt most of the time when he scrambles. This is one of those football things that happened because of how he got hit. If you want to blame something blame the fact we are in year four and Luck still doesn't know how to slide. Heck even Peyton Manning who runs about as often as a statue knows how to slide.

There is no question that the line leaves a lot to be desired at times, however this injury was not a product of them.

he was trying to get a first down in lieu of protection (in a general sense, that's what he does, and most of the time he does it well) but to say it's not a product of his uneasiness and realization that protection can't hold and that he WILL get punished, is naive IMO (but we can agree to disagree.. i understand what you're trying to get at, but I disagree that they have no bearing on this)

he was trying to get a first down in lieu of protection (in a general sense, that's what he does, and most of the time he does it well) but to say it's not a product of his uneasiness and realization that protection can't hold and that he WILL get punished, is naive IMO (but we can agree to disagree.. i understand what you're trying to get at, but I disagree that they have no bearing on this)

The protection was great on that play. Nobody was even around him, nobody was open so he took off.

God, the second you start feeling good about Chud, Luck and the team moving forward...

Had this turned around with Chud, had they gotten hot offensively, finished with a winning record and won the division, it's hard to say what Irsay might have done moving forward. If Luck is gone for six weeks, it's almost certainly a complete house cleaning. You can't evaluate Luck and Chud together, and you already know everything you need to know about Grigson and Chuck.

He was trying to get a first down because no one was open and he saw a lane to run with.  He did what people have been screaming for him to do for weeks, run more.  This is the risk that comes with that.  I don't care if you have the Dallas Cowboys o-line your QB can't stand back there and hold the ball five to seven seconds just waiting for someone to get open, sooner or later if the other defense has any kind of talent the protection is going to break down.  Frankly this has been Luck's problem much of the early season.  He stands back there and is indecisive on what he wants to do and the protection breaks down and he either gets sacked, tries to take off but it's too late, or forces a pass he shouldn't and gets picked off.  Sunday he was very decisive in terms of what he was going to do and it showed in the results.  Unfortunately for us, when he took off on this play he sandwhiched between two defenders and took a violent hit.  That didn't happen because of the o-line.  It happened because Luck was using his legs as a weapon to make plays, something he had done all day and something we don't win that game if he doesn't do.  This was the risk that comes with that though.  It can get your QB hurt, especially if he doesn't get down to avoid hits.  People have said for years Luck needs to learn how to slide or he was going to get hurt on a play like that someday, well guess what?  Sunday was someday. 

As for the o-line as a whole I don't think anyone is singing their praises and pretending they are this great unit.  I think most of us know they are decent at best and the group at the start of the year wasn't even that.  However, that doesn't mean they are to blame every time the QB gets hit, especially if the QB takes off out of the pocket and pretty much becomes a running back at that point.  Look at this way, I have an old car with some bad breaks.  I still drive it and it just takes me a little longer to stop and could cause me to have an accident one day.  However, if I am driving the car and am stopped at a light and someone rear ends me it's not my bad breaks fault that I got rear ended.  That happened regardless of the shape my breaks were in.  That's what happened here, Luck got nailed on a play where he didn't like what he saw when he dropped back to pass but saw an opening where he could make a play with his feet so he took off.  That's not the o-line's fault even if they aren't the best unit in the league.  It just happens, it's an injury as much as it might suck sometimes they just happen when you are playing a violent game like football and there isn't always someone to blame for it. 

If people want Luck to use his legs as weapons this is the kind of thing that can happen to him.  With that said, you are also foolish to not use them either, we also saw Sunday what a difference his legs can be.  The only thing they can do is try to minimize those kinds of hits when he takes off by teaching him how to slide.  Again, if Peyton Manning, who never runs, knows how to do it Andrew Luck can and should learn.  If I am the Colts I am calling the Indianapolis Indians right now and getting someone over to the Colts complex to work with Luck on sliding. 

Hope for speedy recovery. Fire Grigson for not protecting him.

I understand people don't like Grigson and you know what I question some of the things he has or hasn't done too and I fully agree Irsay should take a long look at him this off-season but this witch hunt people almost have for him is getting old.  When I say witch hunt I mean taking everything that goes wrong and trying to tie it to him and not wanting to even acknowledge he has done anything right since he took over as GM.  I am not saying people shouldn't bring up his mistakes, they should, I am just saying be fair about it and honestly look at everything, not just the stuff that supports one side of the argument and try to disqualify anything that doesn't support your point of view because it doesn't support your argument.  Trust there is a real case to be made for firing Grigson when you look at everything, the good and bad so there is no reason to just toss the good out because it doesn't support the fire Girgson narrative and there is enough bad to say he should be fire without having to attribute things to him that aren't really his fault either. 

As much as some people don't want to hear this, this injury to Luck isn't his fault.  It had nothing to do with the line and everything to do with Luck taking off and using his feet as a weapon as he should, unfortunately he didn't get down and got sandwiched between two defenders.  It's one of those things that can happen when your QB takes off, it's the risk that comes with it and sometimes things just happen and there is no one to blame for it. 

We carried Peyton Manning for all of 2011. We can wait a few weeks on Luck.

I was being sarcastic lol.  I was appalled/shocked at the suggestion we would/should IR Luck.  Unless you were agreeing with my sentiment there?

I am perfectly content waiting for Luck to heal while Matty H. leads the Colts to multiple victories.

Very sad news about Luck. Total bummer after a huge win and ruins our bye week excitement as well. I hope he feels better asap and wish him the best.

I think though we have to think positive and hope he heals up fast and can come back sooner then later. We are also not doctors here.....so I can't pretend to know everything going on. I believe he comes back though.

I have huge faith in Hasselbeck though to come back in and help us win games. I have confidence in him. He can do it again. The tough part of the schedule is over as well.

The season is not over by any means. It's a wounded year but we won't go down easily as we have seen. ;)

He was trying to get a first down because no one was open and he saw a lane to run with.  He did what people have been screaming for him to do for weeks, run more.  This is the risk that comes with that.  I don't care if you have the Dallas Cowboys o-line your QB can't stand back there and hold the ball five to seven seconds just waiting for someone to get open, sooner or later if the other defense has any kind of talent the protection is going to break down.  Frankly this has been Luck's problem much of the early season.  He stands back there and is indecisive on what he wants to do and the protection breaks down and he either gets sacked, tries to take off but it's too late, or forces a pass he shouldn't and gets picked off.  Sunday he was very decisive in terms of what he was going to do and it showed in the results.  Unfortunately for us, when he took off on this play he sandwhiched between two defenders and took a violent hit.  That didn't happen because of the o-line.  It happened because Luck was using his legs as a weapon to make plays, something he had done all day and something we don't win that game if he doesn't do.  This was the risk that comes with that though.  It can get your QB hurt, especially if he doesn't get down to avoid hits.  People have said for years Luck needs to learn how to slide or he was going to get hurt on a play like that someday, well guess what?  Sunday was someday. 

As for the o-line as a whole I don't think anyone is singing their praises and pretending they are this great unit.  I think most of us know they are decent at best and the group at the start of the year wasn't even that.  However, that doesn't mean they are to blame every time the QB gets hit, especially if the QB takes off out of the pocket and pretty much becomes a running back at that point.  Look at this way, I have an old car with some bad breaks.  I still drive it and it just takes me a little longer to stop and could cause me to have an accident one day.  However, if I am driving the car and am stopped at a light and someone rear ends me it's not my bad breaks fault that I got rear ended.  That happened regardless of the shape my breaks were in.  That's what happened here, Luck got nailed on a play where he didn't like what he saw when he dropped back to pass but saw an opening where he could make a play with his feet so he took off.  That's not the o-line's fault even if they aren't the best unit in the league.  It just happens, it's an injury as much as it might suck sometimes they just happen when you are playing a violent game like football and there isn't always someone to blame for it. 

If people want Luck to use his legs as weapons this is the kind of thing that can happen to him.  With that said, you are also foolish to not use them either, we also saw Sunday what a difference his legs can be.  The only thing they can do is try to minimize those kinds of hits when he takes off by teaching him how to slide.  Again, if Peyton Manning, who never runs, knows how to do it Andrew Luck can and should learn.  If I am the Colts I am calling the Indianapolis Indians right now and getting someone over to the Colts complex to work with Luck on sliding. 

You are right, on many occasions (again) he waited too long to make a decision.  He also probably leads the league in batted balls, not sure if it's the drop-back design where he stays up in the pocket (too far up IMO) or what, but it would seem that the coaches would adjust some of these plays -- but when you have an egg-shell line (and that's not all the time), you modify your game accordingly, Coaches and player.......but I am not throwing the ENTIRE o-line under the bus,  and yes, he does need to slide.  He gets a lot of ooohs and ahhhhs when he makes plays/takes hits.  That particular one looked brutal and I assumed the worst after the players got off of him.  I looked at the play again several times and he was trying to do too much and he played "chicken" with his body for sure. The o-line, if convicted of bad play, would be good to have you as their defense attorney.  But the jury is still out.

crunch  ---  rip................

thanks rg   :angry:

Well, not really on the O line this time.  It was pure football.  Here's the hit, video and still frame-

http://giphy.com/gifs/colts-injury-andrew-luck-NAAqOwlNC5j1u?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=tag_click

Luck_Hit_zps7vn7zenb.jpg

Andrew was making a play with his feet, something so many here screamed for him to do when he sailing passes over the heads of receivers into the DB's mitts. So Luck paid a price, but got us the win.

Well, not really on the O line this time.  It was pure football.  Here's the hit, video and still frame-

http://giphy.com/gifs/colts-injury-andrew-luck-NAAqOwlNC5j1u?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=tag_click

Luck_Hit_zps7vn7zenb.jpg

Andrew was making a play with his feet, something so many here screamed for him to do when he sailing passes over the heads of receivers into the DB's mitts. So Luck paid a price, but got us the win.

the ole gut punch, thx for video

Simms commented several times on how, with our season on the line, Luck was selling out his body to get first downs. If you want to blame anyone, I suppose it would be special teams and the defense for giving up a 17-0 lead on about three big plays. If we still have a two score lead at that point, perhaps Luck doesn't take the chance.

Simms commented several times on how, with our season on the line, Luck was selling out his body to get first downs. If you want to blame anyone, I suppose it would be special teams and the defense for giving up a 17-0 lead on about three big plays. If we still have a two score lead at that point, perhaps Luck doesn't take the chance.

Meh, good teams find a way to get themselves back into the game.  I commend Luck for trying to get the first downs, but I cringed at just about every hit.  That's on him.  There's ancillary blame to go around, sure. 

if we want to go that rout we could blame the offense for going three and out to start the third quarter and then most of the third quarter to follow. I don't think this is something you can really blame anyone for. It happened because football is a violent game. Yeah maybe you can say Luck needs to learn to slide but most of those runs had him diving for first downs like you pointed out so sliding wasn't really an option.

Ummm, no.

Luck%20forecast_zpsxlv9ywpb.jpg

thr thing that scared me is that the media yesterday kept saying they don't expect Luck to need surgery. That tells me it's not completely off the table, I am guessing if Luck's body doesn't respond the way they think it will he may need surgery and if that happens his season is over.

Yeah, IR him when he could easily be back with 3-4 games left (excluding playoffs).  Lord knows we can't afford wasting a roster spot on our franchise QB.

No offense man, but good grief.

That was a question directed at the quote from the poster I had in that poster.  

However, while I don't want that unless absolutely warranted, let me play devils advocate:

Lets say we loose a couple games, Texans win a couple, Luck is rushed back, get's hurt again trying to get us to the playoffs, only this time, its a complete kidney rupture or worse.  Now he's out all next year or at least half it.  

So yes, IF, the doctors dont think he's healing well enough, then yes, IR is something that should be done.  Rest him up, let Matt take us as far as he can.  It's not about the roster spot, it's about letting Luck heal fully and not throwing the franchise to the wolves to save one miserable season .  So to quote you  "GOOD GRIEF"

I was being sarcastic lol.  I was appalled/shocked at the suggestion we would/should IR Luck.  Unless you were agreeing with my sentiment there?

I am perfectly content waiting for Luck to heal while Matty H. leads the Colts to multiple victories.

How is it appalling?!  If the man is hurt badly, he needs to just rest up.  Why are you wanting to sacrifice Luck to save what's been a crappy season as is?  He's obviously banged up badly, let the man heal.  What's appalling is the fact that you are so much against him going to IR.  You need to face the fact, a quick google search turns up showing most NFL players with this type of injury are done for season.............Luck and the Colts may not have a choice.

thr thing that scared me is that the media yesterday kept saying they don't expect Luck to need surgery. That tells me it's not completely off the table, I am guessing if Luck's body doesn't respond the way they think it will he may need surgery and if that happens his season is over.

I am fairly confident surgery is off the table at this time, barring complications. The kidneys are in a tight space of their own (retro-peritoneal) in a bed of fatty connective tissue.  This presents an environment to stop the bleeding (hemostasis) and heal all by itself. In addition the kidneys are rich in tissue factor, promoting the activation of coagulation.  If Luck rests, and limits his physical activities, it will heal up all on it's own.  I believe 80-90% renal trauma cases do not require surgery these days. When he is fully 100% healed, he is no more (or less) likely to suffer the injury again than before.  But he just cannot get on the field too early.  So, the medical staff will monitor and test him, and we will all wait, patiently.  They are the experts and have all the details.  They have a plan.  We will rely on MH while they work their plan on Andrew.

How is it appalling?!  If the man is hurt badly, he needs to just rest up.  Why are you wanting to sacrifice Luck to save what's been a crappy season as is?  He's obviously banged up badly, let the man heal.  What's appalling is the fact that you are so much against him going to IR.  You need to face the fact, a quick google search turns up showing most NFL players with this type of injury are done for season.............Luck and the Colts may not have a choice.

What's ridiculous (I won't say appalling because I don't think it applies) would be the people calling to IR him with no medical knowledge of the situation whatsoever.  A quick google search will not turn anything up on how long it will take Andrew Luck to heal from these injuries.  If he can return to 100% before the end of the season, then he should play again once he's 100%.  There literally is no good reason whatsoever to put him on IR until the medical professionals say that he will not heal completely and he should go on IR.

What's ridiculous (I won't say appalling because I don't think it applies) would be the people calling to IR him with no medical knowledge of the situation whatsoever.  A quick google search will not turn anything up on how long it will take Andrew Luck to heal from these injuries.  If he can return to 100% before the end of the season, then he should play again once he's 100%.  There literally is no good reason whatsoever to put him on IR until the medical professionals say that he will not heal completely and he should go on IR.

This is exactly what I'm saying......

I think this is more prudent thinking in whole.  I get the feeling some here are tired of watching Andrew get beat up this year, and don't want to see something happen to him in, let's say, week 16 (not a guess folks, just hypothetical) after returning from all he's been through. 

But I am for putting him back to work at his job position the moment he is 100% cleared to perform his duties.  No matter our record, and no matter our post season outlook.  Right now, IR is not on the radar...

I think this is more prudent thinking in whole.  I get the feeling some here are tired of watching Andrew get beat up this year, and don't want to see something happen to him in, let's say, week 16 after returning from all he's been through. 

But I am for putting him back to work at his job position the moment he is 100% cleared to perform his duties.  No matter our record, and no matter our post season outlook.  Right now, IR is not on the radar...

They will never risk long term injury to Luck to save a crap season. The only way this happens will be a mistake by the medical staff. JMO , but I'm confident it's around 99.9% accurate.