Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to expect from Chud

NewEra

Honestly I don't know a bunch about him. Like to know what some with some insight think. I do know he was the OC in Carolina for 2 years. He took them from bottom feeder offense to top 5. He was the OC for Cams rookie year which he shattered some records. He did good enough to land him a HC job in Cleveland. Prior to that he was the TE coach for San Diego and Cleveland. Both at the times had some pretty good TE's.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I don't know a bunch about him. Like to know what some with some insight think. I do know he was the OC in Carolina for 2 years. He took them from bottom feeder offense to top 5. He was the OC for Cams rookie year which he shattered some records. He did good enough to land him a HC job in Cleveland. Prior to that he was the TE coach for San Diego and Cleveland. Both at the times had some pretty good TE's.

I would hope that Chud incorporates the West Coast style offense. Fits Andrew exactly.

Reports are that Griggs will still have his hands in the offense. This dampens my enthusiasm that things will get much better. The real problem continues to exist.

I'd love to know to what extent Grigson controls the offense. Presumably, he controls the starting lineup and hirings, but does Grigson really do anything related to the actual play-calling or game plans? I somehow doubt he has that much control.

I'd love to know to what extent Grigson controls the offense. Presumably, he controls the starting lineup and hirings, but does Grigson really do anything related to the actual play-calling or game plans? I somehow doubt he has that much control.

if he did have that control he surely lost it the day isray chewed him out

I believe we are suddenly going to be much better.  Luck is playing badly and might be hurt, but I think scheming and playcalling was a huge problem for the offense.  Truth is, over the last 2.5 years, the offense has almost always been sluggish unless against a bad team or far behind.

I think Pagano can be a good HC.  Manusky is hard to judge because offense isn't helping much.  Chud, I think, will make a difference that will have a ripple effect on the whole team and staff.

Chud got the best year of his career out of Trent Richardsson!  That says a lot!

I believe Chud is a Norv Turned disciple.....so dont expect a west coast type offense.

Not sure what to expect but I think Turner makes the necessary adaptations to suit whatever the QB needs to operate best. Bridgewater was a West Coast QB coming out of Loisville. I haven't watched a whole lot of the Vikes this year but the little I have seen their offense appears to have quite a bit of west coast concepts involved along with the deep game. I'm assuming Chud will adapt in the same way.

I believe Chud is a Norv Turned disciple.....so dont expect a west coast type offense.

You are correct that Chud is a Norm disciple. 

There are several variations of the Air Coryell offense. 

Think back to the 90's with Dallas. That is the type of offense we will be installing. 

Ironically, the Cowboys are running a similar offense now. 

I thought Turner was a west coast guy. Turner is always known for very good defenses and play calling. Head coach not so much but awesome OC

No. Not exactly. 

Air Coryell offense is not a west coast offense, but it is much closer to west coast than what we were doing.

There are some variations of the Air Coryell offense.

Think of it this way.

In the 90's, the 49ers ran a west coast offense and the Cowboys ran an Air Coryell offense. 

Best way to visualize it:

Andrew Luck = Troy Aikman

Frank Gore = Emmitt Smith

TY Hilton = Alvin Harper

Andre Johnson / Donte Moncrief = Michael Irvin

Dwayne Allen / Jack Doyle = Daryl Johnston

Coby Fleener = Jay Novacek

We actually have the skill positions to make it work very well.

Our offense line is the question mark. That said, I believe this offensive line can run block very well. It is our pass blocking that is the issue.

In other words, for the PPR FF Football geeks like myself :), it is time to pick up Andre Johnson and Donte Moncrief. If this offense is installed the way I believe then they will share the #1 WR role, while TY will be running mostly GO routes; deep corners, and deep posts. 

No. Not exactly.

Air Coryell offense is not a west coast offense, but it is much closer to west coast than what we were doing.

There are some variations of the Air Coryell offense.

Think of it this way.

In the 90's, the 49ers ran a west coast offense and the Cowboys ran an Air Coryell offense.

Best way to visualize it:

Andrew Luck = Troy Aikman

Frank Gore = Emmitt Smith

TY Hilton = Alvin Harper

Andre Johnson / Donte Moncrief = Michael Irvin

Dwayne Allen / Jack Doyle = Daryl Johnston

Coby Fleener = Jay Novacek

We actually have the skill positions to make it work very well.

Our offense line is the question mark. That said, I believe this offensive line can run block very well. It is our pass blocking that is the issue.

Thank you! Excellent info!

Well after having a conversation with a few Panther's fans, they were saying that Chud ran a similar vertical style offense to Pep.  Now to see if they actually know what their talking about I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

That is where the Air Coryell offense can differ, and it is flexible. 

It doesn't make sense to utilize it the same way with the Colts. 

They had a rookie QB and relied more on the run. They also implemented some zone/read into the playbook. I doubt we will do much of that. Dan Fouts surely wasn't running any zone/read back in his day.

I believe our offense will mirror the 90s Cowboys offense. 

In other words, for the PPR FF Football geeks like myself :), it is time to pick up Andre Johnson and Donte Moncrief. If this offense is installed the way I believe then they will share the #1 WR role in this offense, while TY will be running mostly GO routes; deep corners, and deep posts. 

If I remember correctly watching the 90s Cowboys they were also a big play action passing team correct?  At least that's what my greedy little desires are hoping for.  I do believe I'm correct though!

If I remember correctly watching the 90s Cowboys they were also a big play action passing team correct?  At least that's what my greedy little desires are hoping for.  I do believe I'm correct though!

You are correct.

The 90s Cowboys would establish the run and short yard passing game early, and wear teams out. Later in the game, they would hit Harper (TY) on play-action to seal the deal. 

Don't expect the run game to take off. Deangelo Williams didn't have great things to say about Chud after he left. It was nothing really bad, but it was basically along the lines that things opened up for him after Chud left.

Expect a better passing game and for Fleener and Allen to finally be utilized. It'll be a more balanced passing attack overall.

You are correct.

The 90s Cowboys would establish the run and short yard passing game early, and wear teams out. Later in the game, they would hit Harper (TY) on play-action to seal the deal. 

I'm getting Giddy like a school girl!  This is what I've been waiting for if we get this done, that's all we've been needing in my eyes to make the deep passing game more effective.  We've got all these speed guys but this is the NFL and everybody is fast on defense so you're not just going to automatically just run by everybody.  Often times you have to scheme things that cause defenders to hesitate to get you that one or two extra steps you need to get on top of a defender.

Reports are that Griggs will still have his hands in the offense. This dampens my enthusiasm that things will get much better. The real problem continues to exist.

If Grigson is that much of a micro-manager then he needs to go at the end of the season.

Don't expect the run game to take off. Deangelo Williams didn't have great things to say about Chud after he left. It was nothing really bad, but it was basically along the lines that things opened up for him after Chud left.

Expect a better passing game and for Fleener and Allen to finally be utilized. It'll be a more balanced passing attack overall.

Don't read too much into that. It was different circumstances. They had a rookie QB. They also installed some read/zone for Cam. 

If we run this like the Cowboys did in the 90s then we are only a few offensive lineman from becoming the scariest offense in the NFL.

Don't read too much into that. It was different circumstances. They had a rookie QB. They also installed some read/zone for Cam.

If we run this like the Cowboys did in the 90s then we are only a few offensive lineman from becoming the scariest offense in the NFL.

Can also had a pretty good year his rookie year also. Dude came out and exploded!

So the media is projecting news before it happens and insinuating it as fact?  That's a good one.

That is where the Air Coryell offense can differ, and it is flexible. 

It doesn't make sense to utilize it the same way with the Colts. 

They had a rookie QB and relied more on the run. They also implemented some zone/read into the playbook. I doubt we will do much of that. Dan Fouts surely wasn't running any zone/read back in his day.

I believe our offense will mirror the 90s Cowboys offense.

Could be close. Really. Air Coryell mixed with West Coast is extremely flexible & full of surprise elementation. Nice, BlueShoe. I like it.

Here are some of the adjustments Norv Turner made with Teddy Bridgewater.  We are saying Chud is a Norv Turner disciple so I'm sure we'll still see a lot of the vertical passing game, but I'm hoping he adjusts with Luck in the same ways that Norv Turner did with Teddy.

Tweaks to the passing game from offensive coordinator Norv Turner contributed greatly to the efficient play of rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, which was a welcome sign. Up until Sunday, Turner was more of a stubborn coordinator unwilling to change. He asked much of the QB with a sink-or-swim approach, and Bridgewater merely floated, bobbing up and down as rookies do.

By asking Bridgewater to handle downfield route concepts with regularity despite a poor offensive line, Turner left his rookie out to dry with a struggling receiving corps. The loss of numerous vital pieces Minnesota had banked on offensively only asked more of the QB.

None of this even considers that Turner’s offense is a 180-degree difference from the one Bridgewater ran at Louisville. Bridgewater struggled early on with it, unsurprisingly. Even when he showed a greater understanding of the concepts at hand, the lack of offensive talent around him left the Vikings offense searching for answers. Bridgewater turned into a checkdown machine while trying to manage games and that gave Minnesota no shot at success. Then Phil Loadholt went down injured, leaving Bridgewater without the right side of the starting OL, without the running back the Vikings would have featured and without stability at the tight end position. Maybe that was the final straw for Turner, pointing to the need for the offense to adapt.

Right out of the gate against Carolina, with plays scripted by offensive coordinators, that’s exactly what he did. Bridgewater completed his first five throws, finding his rhythm much earlier than he had in previous outings. Adjustments were the difference.

Easing Bridgewater into the game by moving the pocket with play-action passes and giving him a few quick-hitting throws paid dividends. Instead of struggling through the first half and trying to find his footing, Bridgewater played a calm and composed game throughout, throwing with accuracy and anticipation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2287590-how-norv-turner-has-adjusted-vikings-offense-to-help-teddy-bridgewater

And Norv used a fullback/tailback power scheme combo to set up the PLAY-ACTION verticle pass.  Emmit Smith, Ladanlian(SP) Tomlinson.

Modern day NFL eliminates the FB, but anything that results in more PA is a win with me.

Reports are that Griggs will still have his hands in the offense. This dampens my enthusiasm that things will get much better. The real problem continues t

So the media is projecting news before it happens and insinuating it as fact?  That's a good one.

yeah....

I don't expect much difference as long as Luck continues to make bad reads. The Broncos are going to destroy us regardless. 

Which makes the elevation of Chud to OC this week really good  timing.  He will be in position to see the offense from a position of authority, observe the good things and bad things, then have the bye-week to install the needed changes.

This Sunday needs to be a learning game for Chud, so I wouldn't expect a lot of success from the change.