Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the best undefeated team?

RockThatBlue

It's not Green Bay...it never is, but they have actually beat some good teams this year.

I'll grudgingly say it's New England. Here is my personal ranking.

New England

Denver (seriously, their weaknesses are weak but their strengths are unstoppavle)

Cincinnati

Green Bay

Carolina

Great question. On paper, it is in Cincy. They are the most balanced of all the teams.

But if you are going to rank them then you take the two best QBs in the game and put their teams first so I would go with Patriots and Packers at 1 and 2.

After that I think you have to put Cincy and then Carolina and Denver.

What is interesting though is Denver plays GB, Cincy and the Pats.  GB plays Carolina. So we will get to see real soon how these teams fair against each other.

I also think GB has the tougher road to get to the post-season than the AFC teams because of teams like Atlanta, Arizona, Philly, Giants. I think for the AFC, the second place teams are just not as formidable.

My Power Rankings

Denver 1 (best Defense in the league)

New England 2

Green Bay 3

Cincy 4

Carolina 5

Denver will be an interesting team to watch coming up. Peyton looks terrible and they have squeaked by some pretty average opponents so far...but that defense is legit. They have some tough games coming up with Green Bay and New England and we'll learn a lot about this team then. I could easily see them limping into the playoffs losing 3 of their last 4 games...that schedule gets significantly tougher towards the end of the season.

My Power Rankings

New England 2

Green Bay 3

Cincy 4

Carolina 5

I don't know about Denver being the best defense in the league.....They have played phenomenal, but the offenses they have faced are mediocre at best. Balt, KC, Det, Minn, Oak, Cleve......A combined 10-24 record....

I think I'd have to put Cincy first, followed by GB...

I think Carolina deserves some praise tho. They've played a soft schedule so far but they have also over come some pretty significant injuries. 

Denver will be an interesting team to watch coming up. Peyton looks terrible and they have squeaked by some pretty average opponents so far...but that defense is legit. They have some tough games coming up with Green Bay and New England and we'll learn a lot about this team then. I could easily see them limping into the playoffs losing 3 of their last 4 games...that schedule gets significantly tougher towards the end of the season.

Peyton is pacing himself IMO. He is just going through the motions. When Denver really needs it he comes through like with the perfect pass to Sanders for 75. I am a Colts fan first and you probably read most of my posts so you know that but I still like Peyton + I picked them to win the SB so I have to back them up. Denver has GB and NE in MileHigh, it would surprise me if they lost either. I see Denver losing a game like at SD haha just because it's SD.

Peyton is pacing himself IMO. He is just going through the motions. When Denver really needs it he comes through like with the perfect pass to Sanders for 75. I am a Colts fan first and you probably read most of my posts so you know that but I still like Peyton + I picked them to win the SB so I have to back them up. Denver has GB and NE in MileHigh, it would surprise me if they lost either. I see Denver losing a game like at SD haha just because it's SD.

That's a fairly generous analysis...More often than not he has been putting his team in a position to lose, not win...and the defense has been bailing him out. Throwing an interception on your own side of the field in overtime is not 'pacing' oneself. The defense has scored more points than the offense. That's an absurd statistic in today's NFL. They will be a tough team to beat for sure, especially at home, but I'm not ready to call them the best team in the league when thus far they've shown they can only win one way.

It's a funny thing about undefeated teams and this time of year.  Obviously, there have been no head-to-head matchups and you really don't know much about the teams they have beaten as there are very few common opponents.  That said, here is some interesting data...

- If you ignore losses to the undefeated team, only New England's opponents have a winning percentage against the rest of the league.  New Englands opponents are 13-11 against the rest of the NFL, Cinci's are 11-14, Denver's are 10-18, GB's are 11-18, and Carolina's are 9-15.  Only New England and Denver have faced an opponent with a winning record (one each).   GB and Caroline haven't even faced a .500 opponent.

- Looking at common opponents, it's not clear that any of the undefeateds are more dominant.  New England beat Buffalo in Buffalo by 12 and Cinci beat Buffalo in Buffalo by 13.  NE beat Jacksonville in NE by 34 and Carolina beat Jacksonville in Jacksonville by 11.  Cinci beat Oakland in Oakland by 20 and Denver beat Oakland in Oakland by 6.  Cinci beat SD in Cinci by 5 and GB beat SD in GB by 7.  Cinci beat Baltimore in Baltimore by 4 and Denver beat Baltimore in Denver by 6.  Cinci beat KC in Cinci by 15, Denver beat KC in KC by 13, and GB beat KC in GB by 10.  Cinci beat Seattle at Cinci by 3, GB beat Seattle in GB by 10, and Carolina beat Seattle in Seattle by 4.  

- Net points puts NE at the top with 80, Cinci and GB follow with 60 and 63, and Denver and Carolina follow with 37 and 41.

- Best offense: NE (2), Cinci (3), GB (10), Carolina (28), Denver (29)

- Best Defense: Denver (2), Carolina (7), GB (16), NE (17), Cinci (21)

If you compare the point differential to the offense+defense rank, the ranking is not unexpected and matches my eyeball rankings (except for the Broncos): 80/19, 63/26, 60/24, 41/35, 37/31. 

1. New England

2. Green Bay

3. Cincinnati

4. Carolina

5. Denver

That's what I think, anyway.

ESPN Weighs In...

1 Patriots
2 Packers
3 Broncos
4 Cardinals
5 Bengals
6 Panthers

1. Broncos

2. Pats

3. Packers

4. Bengals

5. Panthers

-that's mine. Broncos wont lose a game until they go to SD, frame this Post, take a picture, etc.. haha They will lose that game and maybe 1 other but not sure to who? They aren't losing a game in MileHigh. Peyton will eventually get into a groove. He is the least of my worries, the Defense is outstanding, I don't care for Kubiak though - he is my worry.

I think the Broncos lose at SD, At Pitt, and maybe here against us. That is 50/50 vs us because Peyton just lost against us in the Playoffs so he probably wants to beat us badly now.

They have already won four road games this year...

Denver (10-24, 1-0-5, 37, 29/2)
Sun 9/13 Baltimore W 19 - 13 (1-5)
Thu 9/17 @ Kansas City W 31 - 24 (1-5)
Sun 9/27 @ Detroit W 24 - 12 (1-5)
Sun 10/4 Minnesota W 23 - 20 (3-2)
Sun 10/11 @ Oakland W 16 - 10 (2-3)
Sun 10/18 @ Cleveland W 26 - 23 (2-4)

Not great teams, but who have they played that is good?  Pats have beaten Buffalo, Dallas, and Indy on the road, Bengals beat Buffalo on the road, and Carolina beat Seattle on the road.

It will be weird if the Pats finish as the #1 seed again and have to play the Steelers as a wild card for #5 with a fully healthy Steelers squad. But if there is a team that can handle the Steelers' best, it is the Pats. It might make things easier for the rest of the AFC if it turns out that way.

My Power Rankings

New England 2

Green Bay 3

Cincy 4

Carolina 5

I couldn't put Denver at #1 with how bad their offense has been.  Something is up with Manning because he's playing awful football and throwing tons of interceptions.  They've gotten away with some close wins against some questionable opponents, but any team with a solid offense is going to be able to handle them, especially if they have a good defense to create turnovers.

My order would be:

Bengals

Patriots

Packers

Broncos

Panthers

I couldn't put Denver at #1 with how bad their offense has been.  Something is up with Manning because he's playing awful football and throwing tons of interceptions.  They've gotten away with some close wins against some questionable opponents, but any team with a solid offense is going to be able to handle them, especially if they have a good defense to create turnovers.

My order would be:

Bengals

Patriots

Packers

Broncos

Panthers

I still need to see Cincy in a Playoff situation. They have a nice season going but can they win a Playoff game?

Really? So he was coming threw for them when he threw that pick in OT and all the Browns had to do was move 5 yards for FG range?? If that! Ya he is a liability and facing a better O will cost them dearly! (Don't forget they scored 13 hole points on that Cleveland D )

Including injuries now at this moment the edge has to go to GB. The Colts exposed the NE defense and NE offense did not score as high at their average per game this year. Brady got sacked five times in the first half the week before The Jets stand a chance to beat them even though the game is in NE but get this number, NE at home against AFC opponents is 34 wins and 3 or 4 losses!! Brutal.

Including injuries now at this moment the edge has to go to GB. The Colts exposed the NE defense and NE offense did not score as high at their average per game this year. Brady got sacked five times in the first half the week before The Jets stand a chance to beat them even though the game is in NE but get this number, NE at home against AFC opponents is 34 wins and 3 or 4 losses!! Brutal.

I hate that word exposed, but the D gave up only 14 points before garbage time... So while Indy moved the ball (the old bend but don't break) they did a decent job on a rather talented WR core. Now if you meant exposed via the run? That's old news seems every team can run on them this year.

GB is good but we're they not exposed as well against SD where SD marched up and down the field on their D at Lambo?

Cincy -- hard be #1 with their rep. And also have had a lucky schedule. (Facing a bills team without their starting QB helped a lot.)

Carolina. -- Is a paper tiger.. They would be destroyed by any good team. (Yes I am saying the Hawks are not good this year)

Denver -- great D but barely beating the scrub teams like Cleveland is scary, even scarier is the fact the D almost scored as many points in rev as their O

My point is there is no WOW they are going be champs this year team. Of the 5 I say Pats and GB are the two scariest as the Packers are paper thin at WR and are playing well, and the pats are known for getting better in the months of November and December.