Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fire Special Teams Coach (Merge)

MTC

Well he needed to be imo, special teams is terrible.

So many changes so quickly . . . wonder if I'm going to recognize anyone on the team next year. :scratch:

That's what rebuilding means as Jim said in the presser. I think he is deadly serious about getting better.

No I mean change all around and a complete rebuild.

I was talking about the "getting better" part. I take it for granted that he wants to get better, and that he's serious about it. Or else, he probably wouldn't have fired Bill Polian.

During his press conference, I got the impression that he wasn't even happy about the 10-6 season last year. He kind of spoke about it as if it weren't that great of a season in his mind. Of course, it wasn't. We fell short of the standard that had been set for the last seven years, and we had just gone to the Super Bowl. The less than impressive record and the first round exit seemed to have left a bad taste in his mouth. Nothing particular, but that's just the impression I got.

Anyways, I don't think there's any question that he wants us to get better. I think most people had figured that Rychleski would be gone regardless. I thought he might have been gone after the first three or four games.

He needed to go. Our special teams are brutal and he did nothing to make them better

I remember after his first year I compared the avg opponent starting position, as well as ours, to the previous three years. As well as our punt coverage. If you guys remember, we were all glad when our last ST coach was let go.

Well, after Ray's first year our numbers actually got worse! The only thing that saved him the next year was McAfee.

I remember after his first year I compared the avg opponent starting position, as well as ours, to the previous three years. As well as our punt coverage. If you guys remember, we were all glad when our last ST coach was let go.

Well, after Ray's first year our numbers actually got worse! The only thing that saved him the next year was McAfee.

Yeah, Purnell was bad. I don't know if it's a scheming issue or if it's because we simply don't have the talent, but our special teams are horrible. The blocking is terrible; the returners have no chance to return it when the other teams' gunners get by our blockers so easily

What about the actual players on the special teams. They suck. It really isn't a fix if the same old sorry a$$ players are still mucking up the special teams.

True, but the Colts have had plenty of time to get better at special teams, and they never have. The guy failed. He had his chance.

No I mean change all around and a complete rebuild.

I have a feeling that almost all of our veterans will be gone and it's going to be tough on all of us. I'm so used to rooting for these guys that I'll root for them no matter where they end up. With the exception of New England, of course! If they go there, they'll receive nothing but scorn from me.

Ray and Coyer were 2 of Caldwell's decision to bring on board and that did work out well- He wants to save his backside and will agree to get rid of x assitants in order to stay on-Another thought could be what if Irsay insists to the new GM that Caldwell stays on.

Edited by Coltssouth
Personal Insult

I would like to see the Colts go after the Bears' S.T. coach Dave Toub. This guy knows how to put it together! Irsay, offer him the $$$$$ !

He completed an interview recently with the Dolphins to be their head coach oddly enough.

It is a necessary move but honestly I blame Polian more for the special teams than any of the guys who have tried to coach them. The roster is far too top loaded with expensive skill players and has a bunch of cast offs on the special teams (other than the kickers and punters of course who have all been very good). It is very hard to try to constantly coach the Island of Misfit Toys.