Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Coles "sources" say the Colts want Luck to change his style of play

Everyone

Luck gets more flack than any young QB I've ever seen. You'd think he was a 35 year old Super Bowl MVP who is on the decline, not a guy who is still 5 years from hitting his prime.

Comes with the territory of being hailed as the next great QB savior coming out of college.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

3.What about our O Coordinator who don't have the slightest clue to put together routes that compliment each other

4.What about the O Coordinator whos more concerned with getting the ball down field rather then doing the proper thing which would be taking advantage of matchups

I am with you some if it falls on Luck. That being said Pep has to be the worst OC in the game. Pagano see's it tried to get Chud in that doesn't happen. Pep's in over his head. I have been saying it since he got here

Wow... so instead of providing him with an adequate O-line the Colts want Luck to change the way he plays... you know, the very thing that makes Luck so special as a NFL QB....

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how that works out for them....

That's very irritating Grigs. How about Luck just go somewhere else. Now Grigs is starting to really upset me he really needs to go.Bring in somebody who knows games are won upfront.

I have not once spoken a word against the coaching staff or management, mainly because who am I to judge?

However, it is clear to me that management, coaching and players appear to be at serious odds on how things should be done. And as a fan it is very disheartening to see things coming apart at the seams.

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little  selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

3.What about our O Coordinator who don't have the slightest clue to put together routes that compliment each other

4.What about the O Coordinator whos more concerned with getting the ball down field rather then doing the proper thing which would be taking advantage of matchups

what are you saying? that grigs made another bad pick by getting luck? I think it was a good pick, one of grigs few good ones.

I have not once spoken a word against the coaching staff or management, mainly because who am I to judge?

However, it is clear to me that management, coaching and players appear to be at serious odds on how things should be done. And as a fan it is very disheartening to see things coming apart at the seams.

Exactly...1 team 1 family...letʻs get it fixed

The receivers can't seem to get open unless they are running down field and Luck usually doesn't have time get the ball to them.  We don't seem to have a possession receiver or a safety blanket for Luck.  Bradshaw was really good for that.  

So, Luck is holding this juggernaut back?

If, in the near future, the Colts are in position to draft a once in a generation QB, and you are that QB, force a trade, Elway style. It's in your best interests. Indianapolis is where QBs go to be destroyed.

:facepalm:

Luck gets more flack than any young QB I've ever seen. You'd think he was a 35 year old Super Bowl MVP who is on the decline, not a guy who is still 5 years from hitting his prime.

It doesn't take 9 years to hit a persons prime usually. He should be about to hit his prime now. And he isn't playing any better than he did the last 3 years. That's a problem (albeit not all lucks fault)

That said, I'm sure Luck will be fine but he needs to stop with the silly turnovers.

Most of these are true.  My question is why is it just happening now.  They should have been working with him to change these from day one.  That goes on Clyde Christensen IMO.

From day one? That's not Arians style. The things we say about Luck are eerily familiar to what people used to say about Big Ben. Unfortunately, Pep seems to have copped a lot of Arians playbook.

I am not in panic mode yet, I see many on this Site are. Even if Andrew doesn't play Sunday I think we will beat the Jags. I still have a feeling he will play, that is just his mentality + he's never missed a start. If he had any kind of tear, break, rotator cuff problem it would've been reported by now and he would be listed as OUT. I think he just got dinged up really good and is resting his shoulder which I am assuming was a deep bruise. Andrew is a once in a generation QB, look at how he has played in his first 3 seasons and how he played in the 4th Qtr against the Titans. Do any of you guys even think this team would've been relevant over the last 3 seasons without Andrew? I don't. We aren't going to get another QB like him ever again so lets face it. We were lucky to be able to Draft him after having Peyton for all of those years. Andrew is only a small part of the problem. To me I still think our play calling is the major part of the problem and friction between the Coaches and Grigson isn't helping things either. It's a distraction. Lets see what happens Sunday first before we start panicking. If we lose Sunday then I agree we are in trouble. 

I can give you 774 reasons why he is good enough to be complaining about not getting targets but I will just say this:

Gronks best year yardage wise is 1327 yards to date but he got 130 targets at 14.7 yards per catch

Fleeners best year is 774 yards(15.2 yards per catch), Not a bad year at all by a TE by any means and actually pretty good BUT he did that with 32 less targets and I also think its completely realistic Fleener could have challenged Gronks 17 td's that year

Am I sitting here and saying Fleener is Gronk? No but what separates them in terms of skill is more Gronks ability to block then anything else

You can't honestly believe that last sentence.

what are you saying? that grigs made another bad pick by getting luck? I think it was a good pick, one of grigs few good ones.

Great pick but awful job of utilizing his strengths and an even worse job allowing him to get in a passing rhythm

Also too it's very unfair for the media to try and compare Andrew to Peyton or Brady, or even Rodgers. Andrew has only played 3 full seasons. Peyton and Brady both have been in the league for nearly 2 decades. They need to be comparing Andrew to guys like Wilson, RG3, Cam, Bradford, Kaepernick, etc.. Guys that got drafted around the time he did. Out of the QB's I just named, Luck is better than all of them. Only Wilson has won a SB but Luck has had to do more for his team and has more TD's and Yards.

Yeah, I would not be shocked if we have a clean up of management and coaches at the end of this year.

Isn't that what QB coaches are supposed to help with? They've had all these years and now they want him to change his style? So, when he goes sandlot QB style and it works, ala Big Ben, it is fine but when it doesn't, Luck needs to change?

Is that because they want him to play around the OC's and OL's limitations? I am not certain what that would truly accomplish but to live in denial about the OC and OL issues.

Luck doesn't need to change anything about his game other than quickening up his release and doing a few more dink & dunk plays (which is largely on the coaches to change). 

Well said...same thing I was thinking a coaching problem...plus Grigs for not addressing O-line for the umteenth time 

Yeah, I would not be shocked if we have a clean up of management and coaches at the end of this year.

Isn't that what QB coaches are supposed to help with? They've had all these years and now they want him to change his style? So, when he goes sandlot QB style and it works, ala Big Ben, it is fine but when it doesn't, Luck needs to change?

Is that because they want him to play around the OC's and OL's limitations? I am not certain what that would truly accomplish but to live in denial about the OC and OL issues.

Yes. When Big Ben was getting beat up, Pitt changed OCs to protect him better.  They didn't fire upper management.

Yes. When Big Ben was getting beat up, Pitt changed OCs to protect him better.  They didn't fire upper management.

That means we have to make parallel moves and not just hone in on Luck as the problem and solution, IMO. There is no doubt he is in a little funk right now but if we don't make OL or OC moves in the off season, I would be shocked.

Wasʻnt Arians the OC at Pitts?

Yes.  It was his offense that was blamed for Ben getting beat up.  And I think the Cards went through two starting QBs last year.

Pitt switched to Todd Haley.  Pitt scored 59 on us and Ben wasn't pressured much, even with Pouncey out.  Their Oline has never been highly acclaimed in recent years.  Their big OG they drafted in the first round was overdrafted, and Pouncey has been hurt.

Against us, I think they had quicker routes and also threw to Bell a bit.

That means we have to make parallel moves and not just hone in on Luck as the problem and solution, IMO. There is no doubt he is in a little funk right now but if we don't make OL or OC moves in the off season, I would be shocked.

Yes.  The problem lies somewhere above Luck's neck and before Chuck's feet.  Clyde and Pep are totally immersed in the problem.

Unfortunately, the team needs a pass rusher worse than a first round Olineman.  Scheme can protect Luck.  It can't make Werner any more athletic, or Cole and Mathis any younger.

Yes.  It was his offense that was blamed for Ben getting beat up.  And I think the Cards went through two starting QBs last year.

Pitt switched to Todd Haley.  Pitt scored 59 on us and Ben wasn't pressured much, even with Pouncey out.  Their Oline has never been highly acclaimed in recent years.  There big OG they drafted in the first round was overdrafted, and Pouncey has been hurt.

So Grigs hired Arians and Pep whoʻs doing almost the same thing...sounds like Grigs is the one who should go

Bowles' Jets are #4 total defense (298 yards), LeBeau&Horton's Titans are #6 total defense (308 yards, allowing 31% on 3rd downs). Ryan's Bills are only #30, but they hold us under 304 yards and hold the Eagles under 231 yards.

Those are definitely numbers.

Your comment is total nonsense. There is no way that Irsay is going to have Luck walk and if you believe that I have some beach front property here in Indiana I will sell you cheap.

My comment would be nonsense if I said Luck was going to walk. But of course, I said no such thing. I said the tv station here in Phoenix reported last week that Luck would like to succeed Carson Palmer and be reunited with Arians. Who told the reporter that is anyone's guess but Arians or someone close to him would be a good guess since the story emerged in Phoenix, not Indy.

As for the impossibilty of Luck leaving Indy, I was shocked when Irsay and his daddy signed off on the Elway trade too, even though anyone with an ounce of sense knew Elway's bluff to join the Yankees was a bluff that should have been called. But daddy Irsay's ego wouldn't allow it, and who knows if Jimmy agreed but he was surely present. So don't assume you know how an Irsay brain works.

Wow... so instead of providing him with an adequate O-line the Colts want Luck to change the way he plays... you know, the very thing that makes Luck so special as a NFL QB....

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how that works out for them....

Exactly! Is this the equivalent of blaming the victim?!?

So Grigs hired Arians and Pep whoʻs doing almost the same thing...sounds like Grigs is the one who should go

And he also hired Chud, so direct blame is a bit confusing. I'd say Clyde and Pep first, but maybe nobody.  The article is the first sign that the Colts have seen problems with their offensive approach.  Maybe they will all make the appropriate adjustments.

And Irsay is not an uninformed owner.  He knows who Arians, Pep, and the other people are.

And he also hired Chud, so direct blame is a bit confusing. I'd say Clyde and Pep first, but maybe nobody.  The article is the first sign that the Colts have seen problems with their offensive approach.  Maybe they will all make the appropriate adjustments.

I know they will...just being a die-hard fan...GO COLTS!

My comment would be nonsense if I said Luck was going to walk. But of course, I said no such thing. I said the tv station here in Phoenix reported last week that Luck would like to succeed Carson Palmer and be reunited with Arians. Who told the reporter that is anyone's guess but Arians or someone close to him would be a good guess since the story emerged in Phoenix, not Indy.

As for the impossibilty of Luck leaving Indy, I was shocked when Irsay and his daddy signed off on the Elway trade too, even though anyone with an ounce of sense knew Elway's bluff to join the Yankees was a bluff that should have been called. But daddy Irsay's ego wouldn't allow it, and who knows if Jimmy agreed but he was surely present. So don't assume you know how an Irsay brain works.

Not that the two are related, but Arians almost got in trouble when he said nearing Suh's contract year that he would certainly like to have a player like him on the Cards.

Subtle tampering perhaps.

Not that the two are related, but Arians almost got in trouble when he said nearing Suh's contract year that he would certainly like to have a player like him on the Cards.

Subtle tampering perhaps.

Luck doesʻnt have the EGO Elway had and was glad Irsay signed off...too many EGOʻs can and will collide

Jim Irsay was in college and didn't become the VP till 1984. Jim had no control over anything till the move to Indy when he was named VP so Jim didn't sign off of anything to do with Elway. Please check your facts before drawing a conclusion.

Pitt switched to Todd Haley.  Pitt scored 59 on us and Ben wasn't pressured much, even with Pouncey out.  Their Oline has never been highly acclaimed in recent years.  Their big OG they drafted in the first round was overdrafted, and Pouncey has been hurt.

DeCastro? He has been playing quite well....or so they say.

Sure he needs to get rid of the ball sooner and use the check downs more, but I personally think he should be running about twice as much as he does now. It would help keep the defense more honest. Running is not where Luck takes the hits. He's smart enough to know when to get down. Heck, Russell Wilson runs the ball 3 times more than Luck does and he's a lot smaller.

Sure he needs to get rid of the ball sooner and use the check downs more, but I personally think he should be running about twice as much as he does now. It would help keep the defense more honest. Running is not where Luck takes the hits. He's smart enough to know when to get down. Heck, Russell Wilson runs the ball 3 times more than Luck does and he's a lot smaller.

I agree with this. I don't prefer he run if he doesn't have too but as a runner he is underrated. He has had some game changing runs in other games that helped us win. Most of his worse hits have come in the pocket. He usually slides when he runs something RG3 never does.