Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Coles "sources" say the Colts want Luck to change his style of play

Everyone

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

3.What about our O Coordinator who don't have the slightest clue to put together routes that compliment each other

4.What about the O Coordinator whos more concerned with getting the ball down field rather then doing the proper thing which would be taking advantage of matchups

Fleener isn't good enough to complain about not getting targets.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

3.What about our O Coordinator who don't have the slightest clue to put together routes that compliment each other

4.What about the O Coordinator whos more concerned with getting the ball down field rather then doing the proper thing which would be taking advantage of matchups

praise Gavin for this wonderful post I couldn't have said it better bro

So many people want to blame everyone else for Luck's problems other than Luck.

I think Luck is has a lot of great tools as a QB but the fact is he is not playing a whole lot different now than he did his rookie season.  He makes the same kind of mistakes in the same kind of situations over and over again.  He came into the league as a great talent what I have not seen is him progressing to an elite QB.

Additionally, according to Football Outsiders (a site I trust a lot more than PFF) the Colts Oline is ranked 4th in run blocking and 15th in pass blocking.  Now these numbers are not the end all be all but it matches what I've been seeing.

The Colts have a running game this year with Gore and he is under utilized.  They Colts have three very good TEs that have been under utilized, the Colts have an elite WR, and aging elite WR and an young up and comer and Luck hesitates in throwing them the ball.

I'm going to make a prediction, if Luck does not play this weekend, I think the Colts will win and win big putting up 30+ points.

Very well said. PFF ranks OLs every 4 games, it will be interesting to see their stats. A lot of forum members will explode.

Not based on getting open.  He gets open a ton.  Watch him when the ball is in the air (you'll need to take your eyes off the ball since it probably won't be going his way).  Find him in the secondary and see how many times he's open.  I'd be throwing to him more than any receiver other than TY.  If for nothing else than to move the chains.  

I don't say its wrong to overthink Lucks style to play the game but give me a break! One of the reasons Luck forces things is that everything relies on him. So many sloppy starts, a team that looks unprepared every game, a defense that couldn't stop anything the last years, a horrible Offensive Line and a non existing run game for most part of the last years... It's not like that he had great support around him. Colts should part ways with Grigson, Pagano and Hamilton first before Luck changes anything...

It's because he's 6'6" 240 lbs and plays like he's a slot receiver. 

250 not 240 but it doesn't really make a difference if he isn't used. He is not a very efficient blocker but with his size and speed he should be better utilized over the middle by creating mismatches....he is capable of this but Pep seems to ignore it?

Very well said. PFF ranks OLs every 4 games, it will be interesting to see their stats. A lot of forum members will explode.

They have them ranked now and Luck is the 27th pressured QB. FO O-line rankings are useless as they are based solely on sacks. 

After reading this garbage, my thread last week makes some sense, i.e. Channel 3 "sources" here in Phoenix reported that Luck is fed up and would like to succeed Carson Palmer and be coached by Arians. Only a ship of fools running the Colts organization could be so self-serving as to leak this story at this time. It would serve them right if he visits Dr Andrews and has season ending surgery. Why should he suffer for these fools -- and where is Tweety Bird Irsay when he probably should be stepping in and stop this nonsense?

Not based on getting open.  He gets open a ton.  Watch him when the ball is in the air (you'll need to take your eyes off the ball since it probably won't be going his way).  Find him in the secondary and see how many times he's open.  I'd be throwing to him more than any receiver other than TY.  If for nothing else than to move the chains.  

They need to throw to Fleener to help free up Hilton to go deep(The Safety at some point will be forced to come down and help out.....then playaction....td over the top to Hilton) because that's where he gets most of his yards right now, He isn't a a great route runner nor is a a wr that's going to be great at high pointing the ball consistently

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/650029088791396352

Link to story, don't forget the salt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574933-insider-buzz-concerns-over-lucks-health-leading-to-major-changes-on-offense

Colts Want Luck to Make 'Major Changes' to Protect Health by throwing faster(holds the ball too long), running so much, being aggressive with his passes and tackling after he's been intercepted.

I completely agree with everything you said

After reading this garbage, my thread last week makes some sense, i.e. Channel 3 "sources" here in Phoenix reported that Luck is fed up and would like to succeed Carson Palmer and be coached by Arians. Only a ship of fools running the Colts organization could be so self-serving as to leak this story at this time. It would serve them right if he visits Dr Andrews and has season ending surgery. Why should he suffer for these fools -- and where is Tweety Bird Irsay when he probably should be stepping in and stop this nonsense?

That'd be dumb. I'd fire every single coach and gm on the team before I let Luck walk.

I don't say its wrong to overthink Lucks style to play the game but give me a break! One of the reasons Luck forces things is that everything relies on him. So many sloppy starts, a team that looks unprepared every game, a defense that couldn't stop anything the last years, a horrible Offensive Line and a non existing run game for most part of the last years... It's not like that he had great support around him. Colts should part ways with Grigson, Pagano and Hamilton first before Luck changes anything...

Yup, coaching and play calling...

I think Luck is has a lot of great tools as a QB but the fact is he is not playing a whole lot different now than he did his rookie season.  He makes the same kind of mistakes in the same kind of situations over and over again.  He came into the league as a great talent what I have not seen is him progressing to an elite QB.

Additionally, according to Football Outsiders (a site I trust a lot more than PFF) the Colts Oline is ranked 4th in run blocking and 15th in pass blocking.  Now these numbers are not the end all be all but it matches what I've been seeing.

The Colts have a running game this year with Gore and he is under utilized.  They Colts have three very good TEs that have been under utilized, the Colts have an elite WR, and aging elite WR and an young up and comer and Luck hesitates in throwing them the ball.

I'm going to make a prediction, if Luck does not play this weekend, I think the Colts will win and win big putting up 30+ points.

Sorry sir, we go back more than 10 years on here, and that's the first time I've seen a stupid post from you. Without Luck on this team, we could not beat the London Monarchs. Hopefully we won't find out on Sunday.

It's a lot of people's fault.  This isn't as simple as going this is also person X's fault so let's replace person X and everything will be fine.

I agree. The entire organization let Luck down a bit. His career got started in the wrong system when Bruce Arians was hired. Not that it was a bad hire at all, but Arians was not the best fit for Luck's skills. Luck is an exceptional talent, and that's why he succeeded, but staying in the pocket every single play with the long vertical routes does not optimize his skill set, IMO.

The Gary Kubiak style of offense, a few rollouts and bootlegs, shorter passes, with some home run routes too (Andre Johnson was a deep threat for years) is more suited to Luck's skills, IMO.

Give Pags, Chud, and Pep a chance to move away from the Arians' vertical philosophy.

Maybe Luck will be away on football sabbatical this weekend...secretly practicing new plays in Chud's back yard when Hasselbeck is at Lucas Oil playing the Jags. :-)

Most of this is true. He does need to get the ball out faster to counter the constant pressure, but that is also a scheme thing as well. If there isn't a route designed to do that, it's kinda hard to actually do that. I think that is some of our problem.

Honestly, I don't have any problems with his running. He's the best runner in the league. 95+% of the time he does it in the right scenario, the right way. His awareness to defenders is simply immaculate, which is why he doesn't take very many hits when he does it. He is a real asset when he pulls the ball down, so long as he holds on to it. 

He is aggressive, but I don't know if that is something easily cured. He has no problems throwing into double coverage. That's just his decision making process, and changing that is a lot easier said than done. 

As far as tackling goes, usually if he has to do it he's saving 6 points, so telling him not to do it doesn't come without it's own drawbacks. 

They have them ranked now and Luck is the 27th pressured QB. FO O-line rankings are useless as they are based solely on sacks. 

Bowles' Jets are #4 total defense (298 yards), LeBeau&Horton's Titans are #6 total defense (308 yards, allowing 31% on 3rd downs). Ryan's Bills are only #30, but they hold us under 304 yards and hold the Eagles under 231 yards.

Two words that will never let that happen. "Franchise Tag"

I can give you 774 reasons why he is good enough to be complaining about not getting targets but I will just say this:

Gronks best year yardage wise is 1327 yards to date but he got 130 targets at 14.7 yards per catch

Fleeners best year is 774 yards(15.2 yards per catch), Not a bad year at all by a TE by any means and actually pretty good BUT he did that with 32 less targets and I also think its completely realistic Fleener could have challenged Gronks 17 td's that year

Am I sitting here and saying Fleener is Gronk? No but what separates them in terms of skill is more Gronks ability to block then anything else

No, no they didn't. Words have meanings friendo.

I heard it reported with my own little ears. It was reported on the Channel 3 5 PM newscast just like every other story reported. But please feel free to recast this sports report as whatever you feel like calling it. But maybe rather than worrying about semantics, you might worry more about who the sources were and why the report popped up a thousand miles from Indy where most football fans could care less about Colts news. Was Arians the source? Maybe not, but I wouldnt' t put it past him and whoever it was had enough credibility to get the report aired by the reporter. Arians has made a habit of saying whatever he thinks without considering the consequences. This is the same guy that told his very good team a week ago they weren't worth an expletive right after an impressive win.

Now it's Luck's fault? Part of it is, but is this organization really playing the blame game?

We're about to be the Raiders of the past soon. This place is falling apart

Must you always over react? No one is playing the name game. That's all in your head. If what this article said is true then the team said it out of wanting him to protect himself more, not calling anyone out. It's called protecting your QB.

Your comment is total nonsense. There is no way that Irsay is going to have Luck walk and if you believe that I have some beach front property here in Indiana I will sell you cheap.

I think Luck is has a lot of great tools as a QB but the fact is he is not playing a whole lot different now than he did his rookie season. He makes the same kind of mistakes in the same kind of situations over and over again. He came into the league as a great talent what I have not seen is him progressing to an elite QB.

Additionally, according to Football Outsiders (a site I trust a lot more than PFF) the Colts Oline is ranked 4th in run blocking and 15th in pass blocking. Now these numbers are not the end all be all but it matches what I've been seeing.

The Colts have a running game this year with Gore and he is under utilized. They Colts have three very good TEs that have been under utilized, the Colts have an elite WR, and aging elite WR and an young up and comer and Luck hesitates in throwing them the ball.

So, Luck is holding this juggernaut back?

If, in the near future, the Colts are in position to draft a once in a generation QB, and you are that QB, force a trade, Elway style. It's in your best interests. Indianapolis is where QBs go to be destroyed.

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little  selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

I'm totally with you Gavin on using our TE's more & not using TY as Luck's jailbait security blanket. Allen, Fleener, & Doyle are all capable of moving the chains. That's what I'd admire about Peyton. He's never afraid to use his TEs to get the gritty yards if he has to. Dallas Clark & Jacob Tamme kept a lot of drives alive in INDY. You don't get medals for that but fans in the stands knew how crucial both of these men were to our organization over the years.  I love Luck but come on Andrew the tight end is a huge asset if utilized correctly. 

As far as tackling goes, usually if he has to do it he's saving 6 points, so telling him not to do it doesn't come without it's own drawbacks. 

Yeah JW, I have mixed feelings on his tackling a defender after Luck turns the ball over. On the 1 hand, I cringe everytime he does it because of injury fears but I also know that's who he is & I don't want to mess with how he plays football with childlike jubilance either. Because if you alter a franchise QB too much you screw with his mojo or confidence with dire consequences. 

I'm cool with quicker releases, a shotgun formation, faster footwork drop back passes & easy dumps offs to RBs in the flat though. 

Sorry sir, we go back more than 10 years on here, and that's the first time I've seen a stupid post from you. Without Luck on this team, we could not beat the London Monarchs. Hopefully we won't find out on Sunday.

This is without a doubt the nicest or perhaps politest verbal disagreement I have ever seen on here BHC. You have a way with words [what I highlighted] that is very funny whether that was your original intention or not. No disrespect intended toward CD who is also very sharp BTW. 

Thanks for making me chuckle. You're darn good at it.