Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there a team in the NFL with worse guards than the colts?

RockThatBlue

Herremans (disappointment) has been pretty awful

Thornton

Lance "can't block anything" Louis

Those 3 are just woeful. Thank goodness we have Mewhort

To be honest, probably not.

The thing that worries me is, I don't think Reitz has ever been able to stay healthy for a full year if he's been asked to do so.  If he gets hurt, I think we have to move Mewhort back outside.

To be honest, probably not.

The thing that worries me is, I don't think Reitz has ever been able to stay healthy for a full year if he's been asked to do so. If he gets hurt, I think we have to move Mewhort back outside.

I honestly didn't like moving reitz to tackle. Mewhort was playing pretty well at RT IMO (though Mewhort is good at both) and reitz has always been better at guard. Not sure if that was a Pags or Grigs call but personally I don't like it.

We have one of the worst guards in the league. Mewhort should stay at LG and Reitz at RT. Aaron Rodgers has the luxury to step in to his throws because he has two great guards in Sitton and Lang. Guards are the most important position on the offensive line.

No they are not.

We have one of the worst guards in the league. Mewhort should stay at LG and Reitz at RT. Aaron Rodgers has the luxury to step in to his throws because he has two great guards in Sitton and Lang. Guards are the most important position on the offensive line.

Yes, that's why you see all of those guards that have gone high in the draft over the years. 

As I have mentioned before, offensive line is the most porous position in the NFL.  There are probably 4 or 5 really good lines in the league.  

Left tackle is the most important position on the OL...protecting the 'blind side' of the QB.  Luck got leveled from the blind side yesterday.

Two things that I want to point out are

• We have not allowed 7 sacks in a game like Tennessee and others.
  • Frank Gore rushed at 6.1 yards per carry.

This said, how can we have the worst guards or OL in the league?

I had a real problem with at least two of Thornton's holding penalties.  The first one he pancaked his man and fell on him.  This is NOT holding.  The other he had his hands up against the pads and he did not grab the DL.

I got so tired of seeing the referees calling penalties 'with the crowd' I almost turned it off  :)

This is JMO. I think the Colts are getting some bum calls...even at home.

Left Tackle. QBs blind side...

I can't remember the deal that Herremans signed, but parting with him and Lance Louis is the first order of business...Again, these were guys who were brought in as temporary solutions due to their experience, and they've been so atrocious that it's painful to watch. 

What I don't get is how Lance Louis got a 2nd year out of Grigson.  He wasn't bad enough last year?

What I don't get is how Lance Louis got a 2nd year out of Grigson. He wasn't bad enough last year?

Remember that this is the same guy who started Samson Satele for 2 seasons. And let's not forget the Winston Justice experiment. Let's face it, our GM who is a former offensive lineman has no eye for the same position he played. It's really sad.

Wrote a note to himself to protect 12, but has done exactly the opposite.

Here are guards drafted in the 1st round since Luck was drafted. LT's are obviously important but guards are just as important. 

David DeCastro

Kyle Long

Chance Warmack 

Jonathan Cooper

Zack Martin

Laken Tomlinson

Kevin Zeitler  

List of Tackles taken in the 1st round since Luck. Compare the lists and let me know what position is more important to more NFL teams.

Matt Kalil

Riley Reiff

Eric Fisher

Luke Joeckel

Lane Johnson

D.J. Fluker

Justin Pugh

Greg Robinson

Jake Matthews

Taylor Lewan

Ja'Wuan James

Brandon Scherff

Ereck Flowers

Andrus Peat

Cedric Ogbuehi

D.J. Humphries

I agree that guards are important, but not as important as tackles. That list is also leaving out a first round talent in La'el Collins.

The bottom line is there is a lack of good offensive lineman, and when a team gets one, they keep them!  We draft so low that, by the time we pick, all of the good lineman are gone.  At 29 who would we have taken?  I know someone will say La'el Collins but, before you do, remember everyone passed on him in EVERY round.  Plus, he doesn't help our guard problems.  I know the OL is a problem.  I also know a LOT of team have the same problem.  The next Nate Newton isn't at home hoping the Colts call him because no one else needs him.  We need to understand this.  I think the only way we will get a great guard is trading for them or, if by some slim chance one comes available, free agency.

List of Tackles taken in the 1st round since Luck. Compare the lists and let me know what position is more important to more NFL teams.

Matt Kalil

Riley Reiff

Eric Fisher

Luke Joeckel

Lane Johnson

D.J. Fluker

Justin Pugh

Greg Robinson

Jake Matthews

Taylor Lewan

Ja'Wuan James

Brandon Scherff

Ereck Flowers

Andrus Peat

Cedric Ogbuehi

D.J. Humphries

I agree that guards are important, but not as important as tackles. That list is also leaving out a first round talent in La'el Collins.

I would argue that it also has to do with the drop off in talent.  It's greater in tackles then it is in guards.

Part of the reason RB's are so devalued is that the drop off in talent is very small.

Thornton

I think Louis was playing Ok toward the end of last year at RG.  Put him back there when he's healthly.  Keep Reitz and Mewhort as T and G (in whatever order).  Herremens is pretty bad and so is Thornton (at least at pass blocking).

We have a potential superstar QB that's going to get killed behind the worst OL in football. Well, to be fair Tampa has a worse one, but not by much. In free agency we pick players either at the end of their careers or injury riddened. We need to make a MAJOR effort to upgrade, if that means trading away draft picks to get establised players so be it..

Why are we not trying Harrison at guard? He was way better at G than C. (Granted that wasn't hard) 

I'm still not sure why Grigs failed to bring in Mathis and/or Long in for workouts. 

The whole "Protect 12" note must've fallen off his desk and into the trash, because Grigs has done jack to improve our O-Line.

They can mask it a bit with a dominant running game, good use of play action, and a mobile QB that can throw outside of the pocket. 

They don't really mask it. They cope with it, primarily by throwing the ball less than pretty much any other team and getting Wilson outside, which is something they'd do regardless because of his height. But Wilson gets pressured a lot, more than Luck.

But play action really helps them, including read option. So far this year, they run play action 22.8% of the team, and we run it 11.5%. That's lower than typical for both teams, because the Colts and Seahawks have been playing from behind a lot. Last year, they were at 30.4%. and we were at 20.8%. We need to use more play action, plain and simple. We should also run some play action every once in a while.

Well Luck is athletic enough to compensate for the RT.

Our Line up should be Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, ? (Maybe Good), Reitz

Luck needs a pocket to step up to so the interior is more important than RT at the moment.  

We already know what the others can do.  Maybe Good can impress us.

Can't get any worst......right?

Better to say we were wrong than not trying it at all.  I mean look at Parry and Anderson.

Thornton

Yeah, Lance Louis cannot block a slug, a sloth, a turtle, any form of slow moving creature that's standing across from him I believe. Anyone know what Grigson saw in this pathetic excuse of an Offensive Guard?

Sitton is considered by many as the best guard in the league. Lang is good as well.

I was commenting on your post about guards being the most important position on the offensive line. I disagree.

If you want to rank them based on importance, it is quite the opposite.