Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to change the Receiving Corps

James Harden

A sloppy, chaotic mess, the Colts' offense has been shut out in the first half of consecutive games for the first time since 1997. The problems are manifold, with enough blame to go around the entire unit. The offensive line has negated a host of big plays with ill-time penalties and has failed to pick up third-down blitzes. Going back to the AFC Championship Game loss to the Patriots, the wide receivers have shown a disturbing penchant for losing man-to-man battles. Andre Johnson is making the Texans look prescient for cutting bait on his decline phase.

This offense bears no resemblance to the hyped "Greatest 'Shoe on Earth." At Tuesday's team meeting, coach Chuck Pagano should play a running loop of ESPN play-by-play announcer Mike Tirico: "Pocket collapsing, nobody open downfield."

Full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000536385/article/luck-colts-fall-flat-versus-jets-opportunistic-defense

With Hilton having injury problems, we need to elevate Duron Carter to the 53 man. Johnson is just not showing speed or separation. Since apparently we are not throwing to our Tight Ends, start adding Whalen to the mix. He is our poor man's Julian Edelman. We need guys that can get little spaces or be wide open. 

Wrs as a whole aren't the problem with this offense....

They aren't getting open so while they might not be the only problem they are very much part of the problem.  The offense is out of whack right now.  Personally, I don't think they got enough meaningful reps in the pre-season.  Too much just having Luck hand off to the running backs for two downs and then throwing something simple on third down and punting.  They were too scared of injury. 

The running backs have to hold on to the ball better, the WRs have to run better routes to get open, the line needs to block better and stop committing stupid penalties that are killing them, and yes Luck needs to play better.  I'll also say this they need to figure out a protection plan that can let them use their tightends.  The past two games they have been completely taken out of the game because they have had to stay in to block.  Those are two of the Colts better weapons being taken out of the game by the Colts. 

Receivers are not playing inspired football. They aren't fighting for the ball or getting separation. Moncrief was aggressive but I didn't see much fight out of the others. Sloppy game on both sides of the ball. Defense actually had a pretty respectable game considering the abysmal ineptitude of the offense.

Two weeks in a row , two top tier defenses with amazing front sevens just rattling every loose screw and dismantling the machine altogether. These defenses are smarter and more hungry than the colts are smart, inspired or creative on offense. In a sense it's good that this is going down early in the season. this team appears sloppy unorganized and unprepared for the most part.

Two weeks in a row , two top tier defenses with amazing front sevens just rattling every loose screw and dismantling the machine altogether. These defenses are smarter and more hungry than the colts are smart, inspired or creative on offense. In a sense it's good that this is going down early in the season. this team appears sloppy unorganized and unprepared for the most part.

True that...

completely uninspired ball...

Receivers are not playing inspired football. They aren't fighting for the ball or getting separation. Moncrief was aggressive but I didn't see much fight out of the others. Sloppy game on both sides of the ball. Defense actually had a pretty respectable game considering the abysmal ineptitude of the offense.

The Colts seemed to be playing in slow-motion - except for Andrew Luck who was scrambling for his life - and that probably reflects how they practiced.

As many of the Jets defensive players had a clear, free shot at Andrew Luck, I was concerned that we only had 10 men on the field.

Maybe we have too much talent wrapped up in our wide receivers and tight ends? We can't efficiently or effectively utilize the talent we have. If so, maybe it's time to trade some of that talent for o-line talent?

Or, if Phillip Dorsett was really the BPA, maybe he should be playing on the o-line?

Or, change the name of the game to "Andrew Luck Pinball" and see if we can score points on how many times he gets hit?

Oh geez here we go again. Two games into a 16 week season and is time to just change everything. Theres a meme in here somewhere.

People need to relax and stop being spoiled whiney babies.

Yeah, don't change anything.  Just keep on losing football games (the meme), and learn to relax and enjoy it.

Yeah, don't change anything. Just keep on losing football games (the meme), and learn to relax and enjoy it.

How did last year go? Do you remember? 0-2 beginning but made it to the AFCCG.

It's two freaking weeks, talk to me after were 0-6.

The amount of 'sky is falling' is just amazing and annoying. If the consensus had their choice we'd be like the Browns with new head coaches every year and in the middle of the season. Smh.

The amount of 'sky is falling' is just amazing and annoying. If the consensus had their choice we'd be like the Browns with new head coaches every year and in the middle of the season. Smh.

Last year was NOTHING like this year. We were constantly in both of those games last year against top teams in the league. This year we're failing to even come close to the teams we're playing, against mediocre/below average teams.

Here's what troubles me personally: Against elite defenses like Buffalo & NY, the Colts can't run the ball & because of this fact Luck is forced to throw the ball almost nonstop increasing picks & yet more vicious hits. Even the strongest frame cracks at some point. If we can't pound the rock in October & November, we are screwed. Our offensive line isn't good enough to win anything meaningful. It's just not. 

I don't care about our division at the moment. I care about teams outside our division. Who wants to win the AFC South if NE crushes us again? And right now, I guarantee you that they will pulverize us. 

Last year was NOTHING like this year. We were constantly in both of those games last year against top teams in the league. This year we're failing to even come close to the teams we're playing, against mediocre/below average teams.

Those defenses are well beyond mediocre and below average.

Here's what troubles me personally: Against elite defenses like Buffalo & NY, the Colts can't run the ball & because of this fact Luck is forced to throw the ball almost nonstop increasing picks & yet more vicious hits. Even the strongest frame cracks at some point. If we can't pound the rock in October & November, we are screwed. Our offensive line isn't good enough to win anything meaningful. It's just not.

Actually you be wrong here. We ran the ball fine in both games. Outside of Gores fumble of course. It's the pass protection that has literally fallen off the face of the earth.

I was listening to Dwayne Allens interview and he said that this years 0-2 feels much different than last years 0-2.

There's some real problems going on and we need to get them fixed asap with that type of comment.

I was about to comment something similar to this.

Last years 0-2 start we were at least competing and playing good offense.  This year just feels like our guys read into their own press clippings and listened to the media hype them up.  Now with the rumor mill churning between Grigs and Pagano, definitely feels like a lack of precision and attention with this distraction going on

I was about to comment something similar to this.

Last years 0-2 start we were at least competing and playing good offense.  This year just feels like our guys read into their own press clippings and listened to the media hype them up.  Now with the rumor mill churning between Grigs and Pagano, definitely feels like a lack of precision and attention with this distraction going on

yup

Ancient Andre just can't seem to get open much anymore...not a good signing...and he is taking reps away from the development of the younger WRs.....even Griff is probably a better possession receiver.

I saw him open plenty of times last night but with Luck having to get rid of the ball EARLY and making bad reads how can he catch the ball..  On a key 3rd down when vinny missed the field goal andre was open for the first but luck threw to TY.

The receivers aren't getting open because they're sending them deep every play. Hilton abuses people in short spaces, and we need to make more use of that. Have him run some simple slants and curls.

Johnson is old and slow, so I don't expect him to separate. I expect him to make tough/contested catches. He's been up and down though.

Moncrief is playing the best ball IMO. While he still lacks physicality, he's separating and making good catches and getting YAC.

Dorsett is separating but he's under used and when he was open against the Jets, Luck missed him.

The WRs are fine. It's everything around them that needs improvement.

The receivers aren't getting open because they're sending them deep every play. Hilton abuses people in short spaces, and we need to make more use of that. Have him run some simple slants and curls.

Johnson is old and slow, so I don't expect him to separate. I expect him to make tough/contested catches. He's been up and down though.

Moncrief is playing the best ball IMO. While he still lacks physicality, he's separating and making good catches and getting YAC.

Dorsett is separating but he's under used and when he was open against the Jets, Luck missed him.

The WRs are fine. It's everything around them that needs improvement.

BINGO!