Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts place CB D'Joun Smith on IR/Designated for return; promote CB Eric Patterson (merge)

MTC

http://blogs.colts.com/2015/09/18/indianapolis-colts-make-roster-moves-105/

The Indianapolis Colts today elevated cornerback Eric Patterson to the 53-man roster from the practice squad and placed cornerback D’Joun Smith on Injured Reserve/Designated for Return. The team also signed cornerback Brandon Dixon to the practice squad.

Patterson, 5-10, 193 pounds, was signed to the Colts practice squad on September 6, 2015. He played in 41 games (28 starts) at Ball State and finished with 189 tackles (135 solo), 9.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sack, 27 passes defensed, six interceptions and three forced fumbles. As a senior in 2014, he was named All-Mid-American Conference third-team on defense and All-MAC first-team as a kick returner.

Smith, 5-11, 193 pounds, was drafted by the Colts in the third round (65th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. In 44 career games at Florida Atlantic, he totaled 120 tackles (78 solo), nine interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, 1.0 sack and 29 passes defensed. Smith also was a standout special teams performer and registered 47 kickoff returns for 1,093 yards (23.3 avg.). He earned Second Team Conference USA honors as a defensive back and honorable mention recognition as a kick returner as a senior captain in 2014.

Dixon, 5-11, 203 pounds, played in 14 games for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a rookie in 2014 and totaled nine tackles (eight solo), one interception and two passes defensed. He most recently spent time on the Seattle Seahawks practice squad before being released on September 12, 2015. Dixon was originally drafted by the New York Jets in the sixth round (195th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Collegiately, Dixon played two years at Northwest Missouri State (2012-13). In 2013, he garnered First Team All-Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association honors after starting all 14 games for the Bearcats and recording 36 tackles (25 solo), one interception, 11 passes defensed and one fumble recovery as Northwest Missouri State captured the NCAA Division II championship. In 2013, he started 13 games and finished with 38 tackles (31 solo), five interceptions and five passes defensed. Prior to Northwest Missouri State, Dixon played one year (2011) at Joliet Junior College (IL).

I'm a little concerned if patterson has to play corner, any chance they give him a chance to return kicks?

I think Patterson played well in preseason. I'm good with him playing some dime, especially against the Jets. If Devin Smith plays, there might be some matchup issues, but really, it's about Marshall and Decker, and our 4th/5th CB isn't going to be matched up on either of them.

Yeah lets just go down to the free agent superstore. I'm sure we can find an unsigned quality cornerback who can learn our system in 3 days.

If you think this guy is going to get meaningful playing time this week then you are mistaken... there is a reason this guy was on the practice squad and not the original 53... my guess is price will take smiths role

So Im sitting here looking at the FA cornerback market and a particular name pops up to me like a sore thumb, Not a huge name but a bit of a known name. This dude has had legal troubles since entering the NFL....Felony Assault on a police officer in 2013, DUI 3 months later that same year, This guy can play press man coverage and has not gotten into trouble that I have read since 2013.......So somebody talk me out of Alfonzo Dennard of being able to come in and compete

I think Patterson played well in preseason. I'm good with him playing some dime, especially against the Jets. If Devin Smith plays, there might be some matchup issues, but really, it's about Marshall and Decker, and our 4th/5th CB isn't going to be matched up on either of them.

I would mainly be concerned if I see two BSU Cards on the field at the same time :)

So Im sitting here looking at the FA cornerback market and a particular name pops up to me like a sore thumb, Not a huge name but a bit of a known name. This dude has had legal troubles since entering the NFL....Felony Assault on a police officer in 2013, DUI 3 months later that same year, This guy can play press man coverage and has not gotten into trouble that I have read since 2013.......So somebody talk me out of Alfonzo Dennard of being able to come in and compete

The Cardinals claimed him off waivers this offseason, and he didn't last more than two months. Didn't even make it to camp. He worked out for the Saints a week later and didn't get signed. A month and a half later, he's still available. Something's up with him. I wonder if there's a pending suspension, or a lingering injury, or he's just totally out of shape. 

As for his play, last year he only played 6 games due to various injuries. He was average in coverage, at best. He was better in coverage in 2013. 

Everyone seem to have been in some trouble.. But dont look for the colts to sign him... They only want the good boys.

What happened to Jalil Brown. Wasn't he having a great camp as well? Did he not play well during preseason? Our defense must be terrible that just about anyone can look like a probowler when we practice against ourselves. lol

Jalil is going to be playing on Monday.  We've got more than one corner hurt.

It's been a rough start to Smith's career. He was dominated during training camp and now can't shake whatever is going on w his knee.

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

September 18, 2015

It's been a rough start to Smith's career. He was dominated during training camp and now can't shake whatever is going on w his knee.

Could be related.  He may have been having knee problems in training camp.  It seemed he was getting beat constantly.

Let's just hope he heals up and becomes the player we thought he was when he was drafted.

I hope this season is not like Paganos 2nd season coming back off of cancer(I think).  I remember that season people were getting put on IR almost every single week sometimes multiple times in a week. That would be the last thing we need.

Injury reports are ugly around the league right now. 

If you think this guy is going to get meaningful playing time this week then you are mistaken... there is a reason this guy was on the practice squad and not the original 53... my guess is price will take smiths role

of course not. He was promoted for depth. We have some healthy depth that is ahead of him on the depth chart I was simply pointing out that there isn't really another option except promote from the practice squad to fill depth.

of course not. He was promoted for depth. We have some healthy depth that is ahead of him on the depth chart I was simply pointing out that there isn't really another option except promote from the practice squad to fill depth.

Good but price is not the answer either.  I just hope Toler and Butler plays this week.