Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Colts play in the AFC South" excuse [Merge]

IcyRhythms

The AFC South has been the weakest division in the NFL since the realignment. 

Colts had it made 10 years ago beating up cupcakes, will have it made for the next 10 years too.

Well when you play in a division of cupcakes may as well get fat off them even if it does make you soft for the playoffs. We are the King Cupcake. Meanwhile...Saints are playing in an even worse division and you guys haven't gotten nearly as fat as you should.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will win the AFC South by default, just like we did last year, due to lack of competition.  We will then proceed to be creamed by every other decent team we play, and be an early exit from the playoffs.  

This is based on my observations to date, they can and hopefully will change......if the Colts actually show up and play a game this year.

Well when you play in a division of cupcakes may as well get fat off them even if it does make you soft for the playoffs. We are the King Cupcake. Meanwhile...Saints are playing in an even worse division and you guys haven't gotten nearly as fat as you should.

You guys keep telling me how worse the NFC South is, even though they did not have a repeat division winner for several years until last year. Everyone thought for sure Atlanta had it in the bag at the end of last season, and Carolina proved otherwise. The NFC South is one of the most unpredictable divisions in the league, even if the teams look horrible. The Saints were supposed to win it back to back after we came off the SB win, but Atlanta proved us wrong. Before the Saints rise, Carolina was supposed to dominate the NFC South after their SB appearance, that didn't work out for them either. 

This year, no one is for sure if it's going to be Carolina or Atlanta, but it's going to be one or the other. 

AFC South, it's predictable every year; 3 crap teams for the Colts to beat up on, and yeah it does hurt the Colts. If they had more competition in their division, they could sharpen up experience playing good teams that would give them an edge in the playoffs when they're up against better opponents. 

This is something I posted last year.  I'm posting it again because there are people who need to hear it, though it'll probably fall on the same deaf eyes it fell on the first time I posted it:

We are COLTS FANS here people.  Can we PLEASE not only lift this veil of ignorance over all of our heads that we only made the playoffs due to a weak division but throw it in the fireplace and BURN IT????  PLEASE??????????????

First of all, give the Texans the credit their due.  They finished with a WINNING RECORD for crying out loud - they beat playoff-bound Baltimore with their 4th frickin' quarterback!  They've got all-pro calibre players at WR, RB, OL, DE and LB.  Beating them twice in one year is an accomplishment.  There are 7 teams including the playoff-bound Ravens who couldn't even beat them once.

So the Colts got to play 4 games against Tennessee and Jacksonville.  So what?  The ENTIRE AFC NORTH got to play 4 games against the NFC south.  The AFC West got to play 2 games against Oakland.  The AFC East got to play 2 games against the Jets.  The NFC East got to play 4 games against the Giants and Redskins.  The NFC North got to play 4 games against the Bears and Vikings.

How many teams in the AFC can you say had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts?  New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, who else?  Cincinnati?  Nope.  Baltimore?  Nope.  SD?  I'd have made that argument last week but not when they stumbled to an inferior team with no passing game with the playoffs on the line. Nope.  KC? Houston? Buffalo?  Miami?  Cleveland?  Are ANY of those teams better than the Colts?  NOPE.

The Colts are in the playoffs because they were the fourth-best team in the conference and the top 6 make it.

So please, let the fans of the other 31 teams be * and blame it on the weak schedule.  Let us COLTS FANS be SMART and see our team for what it was - a team that DESERVES to make the playoffs.

Thank you.

Here was my reply to those who say the Colts wouldn't even make the playoffs in any other division:

You'd be wrong.  Have you even LOOKED at the schedules for any of the teams in the AFC North?

Flip schedules with Pittsburgh for example and the Colts are probably 14-2 this year.  Don't believe me?  Look at their schedule.  6 games against Cincy, Balt and Cleveland ALL TEAMS THE COLTS BEAT.  4 games against the NFC south.  THE BEST TEAM THAT PITTSBURGH BEAT IS THE COLTS.  They didn't even have to PLAY New England, Denver, Dallas, Philly, Green Bay or Seattle.

Flip schedules with Baltimore and you're adding 2 games against Pittsburgh, so the Colts are probably 12-4 or 13-3.

Flip schedules with the Bengals and you're having to throw a couple games against Denver and New England in there as well, so maybe 10-6 or 11-5.

I'll give you KC - four games against the Chargers and Broncos plus NE, Seattle and Arizona.  That's a pretty tough schedule.  KC also got to play Oakland twice, Tennessee, the Rams, bills, jets, dolphins.  Tough sledding for the Colts to make the playoffs with that schedule.

Flip schedules with SD and I believe the Colts get in because the Colts match up so much better against KC than they do against SD - they would sweep KC and that would be enough to get in as a wildcard.

Flip schedules with New England and the Colts win that division too.  If the Colts can win 5 games against Cincy, Balt, Cle and Hou why couldn't they win 6 games against Mia, Buf and NYJ?

Playing in a trash division actually hurts the Colts. Sure we make the playoffs virtually every year but the lack of any real competition keeps us weak. Iron sharpens iron. Feasting on cream puffs just makes you soft.

Well, we'll get our chances against New England, Denver, and Pittsburgh this season.

Get back to me when the Colts actually have competition in a division and races them to the end, and not just teams that get swept by them every year. Then you can tell me about who is the worst.

Hey, the NFC South was the worst division last year, sorry that seems to upset you, but it was. We'll find out which division is the worst this year, but not until much later.

The Colts having competition or not has nothing to do with it.

You guys keep telling me how worse the NFC South is, even though they did not have a repeat division winner for several years until last year. Everyone thought for sure Atlanta had it in the bag at the end of last season, and Carolina proved otherwise. The NFC South is one of the most unpredictable divisions in the league, even if the teams look horrible. The Saints were supposed to win it back to back after we came off the SB win, but Atlanta proved us wrong. Before the Saints rise, Carolina was supposed to dominate the NFC South after their SB appearance, that didn't work out for them either.

This year, no one is for sure if it's going to be Carolina or Atlanta, but it's going to be one or the other.

AFC South, it's predictable every year; 3 crap teams for the Colts to beat up on, and yeah it does hurt the Colts. If they had more competition in their division, they could sharpen up experience playing good teams that would give them an edge in the playoffs when they're up against better opponents.

It certainly isn't the Colts fault that the rest of the teams in the division suck. Nothing we can do about it. Those listless franchises simply need to get better. We are good enough to capitalize on the situation. Some teams like the Saints can't take full advantage of theirs. Falcons, Panthers and Bucs are there to be beat up on...not a murder's row by any stretch. It's just that the Saints are equally as mediocre. Rise above the mediocrity like we do. Lol.

10-6 is a winning record. 9-7 is not. That's one game above .500 that translates to an average team. 

You guys got down right slaughtered in the AFC Championship to the real best team last year; the SB champion. Pittsburgh was totally not the best team that beat you last year just cause they put 50 points on your defense. Pittsburgh went out in the first round. The Colts beat the Broncos, and you should be proud of that. 

And sorry, but you do play in a weak division. It's not ignorance

Colts have swept their pathetic division now 3 years in a row. That's 6-0 in the last 3 years against all 3 divisional opponents. 

Ever since the AFC South was formed, the only competition they've had was a few years of Tennessee (that Kerry Collins team that went 13-3 who was a paper tiger), rare Jacksonville teams (including wild cards) and then two seasons of Texans winning a division. 

I don't know why this bothers you so much, you're gifted with a lot of things. Gifted with being super lucky to play in an awful division, gifted with the best quarterback of the next decade falling right into your lap after a Hall of Famer leaves, gifted with having great players and great management. You should feel proud of that, instead of trying to build up your pathetic division rivals that can't even win 10 games, and argue how 9-7 is a winning record. 

Do you realize how many NFL fans wish their team had what the Colts have? How many of us wish we had Andrew Luck as our quarterback? And my QB is an aged future Hall of Famer, but I'd totally take Luck over him in a heart beat. I'm sure fans of the AFC North wish they could beat up Jacksonville, Houston, and Tennessee twice a year too, that's 6 easy wins for anyone. 

Go back and look at the AFC South since it's formation in 2002 and count how many division titles the Colts have. Count how many times they played against teams they swept, and how many times the other three teams in the AFC South did not make the playoffs. 

And before any of you go there with the NFC South, look at the NFC South statistically on a divisional scale. Three of the four teams in the NFC South have been to the SB since 2002.

All four NFC South teams (Atlanta yes) have made the NFC Championship game, some more than once. How many teams besides the Colts in the AFC South get to the AFC Title game? How many teams in the AFC South have reached a Super Bowl besides Indy? The NFC South may have had horrible records last year, but the AFC South has been dominated by the Colts since 2002, so it's been pathetic a lot longer. 

And keep this in mind before spamming me how bad the Saints suck; we have a Super Bowl. A Super Bowl where we beat your team and Hall of Fame quarterback, in a game they were heavily favored in...and I don't constantly rub it in, cause I like the Colts and think the world of Andrew Luck, and hey, if it was my team benefiting from a weak division, I wouldn't complain, I would brag about it and feel proudly smug to rub it in. I truly wish the NFC South had 3 horrible teams that get dominated twice a year. 

You play in a weak division. So does New England. Just get over it and enjoy your 6 easy wins and automatic division titles. The Colts have enjoyed it so much, they put up a silly participation banner that translates to "we lost but at least we tried" after the last AFC Championship, cause they have so many division banners, I guess it got boring putting them up. 

The talk about the Colts playing in a weak division is not new. Manning benefited just as Luck is from playing crap teams. 

Stop trying to build Houston up into a great team. They won 9 games last year and only beat 1 team above .500. Like you say, you're COLTS FANS, not Texans fans! Leave it to Texans fans to build up their sorry team on their own. Houston gave away their best offensive player and let him join the Colts, and in two weeks they've started two different quarterbacks. Come on, you know the Colts got it made when that's their best competition. 

Why you let this ruffle your feathers so much, I have no idea. This is the internet, and I'm pretty sure you don't get paid for this, so it shouldn't bother you why someone's opinions on the internet bother you so much. Not even the moderators on here, pay the differing opinions much.  You can easily just not read it and block it out. That's exactly what I do when all of you spam quote me constantly to remind me how much the Saints suck, and how terrible I am. (I will be ignoring any whiny quotes from this thread I expect to be filled with caps lock rants, so don't waste your time unless you want to). 

Don't take stuff on the internet too seriously. You can block it out. No one is forcing you to read everything. 

This is something I posted last year.  I'm posting it again because there are people who need to hear it, though it'll probably fall on the same deaf eyes it fell on the first time I posted it:

We are COLTS FANS here people.  Can we PLEASE not only lift this veil of ignorance over all of our heads that we only made the playoffs due to a weak division but throw it in the fireplace and BURN IT????  PLEASE??????????????

First of all, give the Texans the credit their due.  They finished with a WINNING RECORD for crying out loud - they beat playoff-bound Baltimore with their 4th frickin' quarterback!  They've got all-pro calibre players at WR, RB, OL, DE and LB.  Beating them twice in one year is an accomplishment.  There are 7 teams including the playoff-bound Ravens who couldn't even beat them once.

So the Colts got to play 4 games against Tennessee and Jacksonville.  So what?  The ENTIRE AFC NORTH got to play 4 games against the NFC south.  The AFC West got to play 2 games against Oakland.  The AFC East got to play 2 games against the Jets.  The NFC East got to play 4 games against the Giants and Redskins.  The NFC North got to play 4 games against the Bears and Vikings.

How many teams in the AFC can you say had a clearly, quantifiably better season than the Colts?  New England, Denver, Pittsburgh, who else?  Cincinnati?  Nope.  Baltimore?  Nope.  SD?  I'd have made that argument last week but not when they stumbled to an inferior team with no passing game with the playoffs on the line. Nope.  KC? Houston? Buffalo?  Miami?  Cleveland?  Are ANY of those teams better than the Colts?  NOPE.

The Colts are in the playoffs because they were the fourth-best team in the conference and the top 6 make it.

So please, let the fans of the other 31 teams be * and blame it on the weak schedule.  Let us COLTS FANS be SMART and see our team for what it was - a team that DESERVES to make the playoffs.

Thank you.

Sorry.     The Colts play in a weak division.   By most estimates,  the WEAKEST division.    The fact that you, as a Colts fan,  disagrees,  doesn't amount to much.

It's not the reason the Colts made the playoffs.   And anyone who thinks that doesn't know football.    But it's one of the reasons.

Just not the only, or even the main reason.    But it is A reason.

And until someone else in the division shows a lot more than they currently have,  it will remain a weak division.

Sorry.    But that's the reality of the NFL.

Weak division. The Colts would not be an 11-5 team without the benefit of 6 cupcakes on the schedule every year. Have they won every division game during the Luck Era? With last week's loss to Buffalo, they've been about 15-16 in 31 games during the Luck era outside of the AFC south by my estimation.

15-16.

That doesn't strike alot of fear in anyone.

It certainly isn't the Colts fault that the rest of the teams in the division suck. Nothing we can do about it. Those listless franchises simply need to get better. We are good enough to capitalize on the situation. Some teams like the Saints can't take full advantage of theirs. Falcons, Panthers and Bucs are there to be beat up on...not a murder's row by any stretch. It's just that the Saints are equally as mediocre. Rise above the mediocrity like we do. Lol.

You underestimate the Falcons and Panthers if you think they're just there to be beat up on. Atlanta has had some good teams since they drafted Ryan. I really hate saying that, cause I hate the Falcons, and the Panthers just won their division back to back. The NFC South may look terrible, but it's a competitive division. 

If the Colts played Carolina, Atlanta, and either Tampa or N.O. twice a year instead of Houston, Jax, and Tennessee, guarantee you that it would be a lot closer games and harder. Given that they go 11-5 the last two years and 6 of those 11 wins are from the division, I'd say the Colts would at least split with one of those teams. 

Weak division. The Colts would not be an 11-5 team without the benefit of 6 cupcakes on the schedule every year. Have they won every division game during the Luck Era? With last week's loss to Buffalo, they've been about 15-16 in 31 games during the Luck era outside of the AFC south by my estimation.

15-16.

That doesn't strike alot of fear in anyone.

Your estimation is wrong.

Good Lord, 9-7 is a winning record. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

9-7; one game above .500. Not one team with 9-7 made the playoffs last year. 

But enjoy being closet fans of the Texans to make yourself feel like you play in an ultra tough division like the AFC North. Colts got it so bad against these hard AFC South teams! 

Indy is 17-14 outside the South in the Luck era even with the Bills game.   Luck's "11 and Fine" is Indy's new version of Peyton's "12 and 4ever".  The Colts have continued to make progress each year in the postseason.  Everyone forgets we were 2-14 four years ago.  Most teams would love to go 11-5 each year, regardless of what division they're in.

Get back to me when the Colts actually have competition in a division and races them to the end, and not just teams that get swept by them every year. Then you can tell me about who is the worst. 

Last year the AFC South had one good team, two if you count the Texans going 9-7. The NFC South had zero.

You underestimate the Falcons and Panthers if you think they're just there to be beat up on. Atlanta has had some good teams since they drafted Ryan. I really hate saying that, cause I hate the Falcons, and the Panthers just won their division back to back. The NFC South may look terrible, but it's a competitive division.

If the Colts played Carolina, Atlanta, and either Tampa or N.O. twice a year instead of Houston, Jax, and Tennessee, guarantee you that it would be a lot closer games and harder. Given that they go 11-5 the last two years and 6 of those 11 wins are from the division, I'd say the Colts would at least split with one of those teams.

At the end of the day it is what it friggin is. We are good enough to beat down the division we are in. You guys are caught up in the mediocrity of your own division...and can't rise above. Don't hate on us for our ability to capitalize. Hate on the teams we play for not rising to our level. If you were a Steelers fan or something you'd have more cause to complain. Coming from a Saints fan...its just comical.