Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King At Mmqb Says The Colts Will Have To Score 40 A Game

Johnhenry

What is strange is we have been complaining about the defense for the past four years and when change is made we are still complaining about the defense. You cannot have it both ways. We will find out soon enough what this defense can do. I seem to remember the media talking about how old the Colts were and then poof the Colts get a lot younger with 9 rookies. Just wait and see. Either this is really good, some place in the middle, or really bad.

This is so true. Grigson has practically created a new d line and people still complain.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriots have no secondary. They're unproven. Are they going to have to score 40 points a game?

The truth is that the Colts changed personnel up front because they think this new group will be better. Nothing is proven on Monday of Week 1, especially when you replace veterans with rookies. 

But all this "concern" isn't really about having rookies at DL. It's about not having everyone's favorite rookies, most notably, one of the guys we were "supposed" to draft in the first round. If it were Malcom Brown among those rookies, this concern would be excitement. And Malcom Brown isn't even good, so far. Henry Anderson was one of the best DL prospects in the draft. Getting him on the field is good. A week ago, everyone here was talking about how Parry is better than Chapman. Now, all of a sudden, the defense is entirely no good?

That's stupid. Sorry. And exaggeration or not, Peter King saying what he did is stupid. The Colts gave up an average of 23.1 points/game last year. That's with 51 points to the Steelers, and 42 points to the Pats and Cowboys. Now the defense is worse? 

The burden of proof is definitely on the Colts defense. They have to prove that they can play well, especially against good offenses. Let's see something from them, even against a bad team, before we decide that they're no good. This spewing of negativity in the meantime is just nonsense, IMO.

As far as the Patriots go...you're right about their secondary being unproven.  Difference is they have a better defensive track record than Indy does.  Never accused of being soft like Indy has been virtually every season. Plus they have the best coach in the NFL who will find a way to play to their defensive strengths.  So no...the national media will not make such statements about New England.  They have earned the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise in their view.  Not the case with Indy.

Some of the concern is masked disappointment over how the draft went.  I wasn't attached to any particular player (Brown or otherwise) but just wanted to take the best DT available earlier than we did.  This was because we didn't really do much on that front in free agency. I recall you pining for Nick Fairley which I knew wasn't going to happen given his work ethic concerns.  I saw Anderson and Parry play in the preseason and while they were solid nothing jumped out at me that said "monster".   They do deserve a chance though but I am in prove it to me mode after years of watching us not have our stuff together up front.

The main reason that our defense didn't give up more points per game last year is that we play in the AFC South.  Our defense looks good against divisional opposition most of the time.  We also caught Cincinatti without A.J. Green and played our best defensive game in decades.  When tested against well balanced and legit offenses like New England, Pittsburgh and Dallas they were humiliated.  The Colts showed well against the Broncos  in the opener but  were exploited in the first half before adjusting in the second half.  So credit for that at least.  The playoff victories came against a Bengals team again missing Green and a noodle armed Manning led Broncos squad.  We shut those anemic offenses down before being obliterated by New England's balanced offensive attack. 

I think the defense has improved in the linebacker area with better depth.  The secondary is basically the same with perhaps a little better depth.  The defensive line is questionable, inexperienced and lacks depth.  Based on what I've seen in the preseason...even if they are better than last year...I don't think its enough of an improvement for us to take the next step.  But we will soon find out.

As far as the Patriots go...you're right about their secondary being unproven.  Difference is they have a better defensive track record than Indy does.  Never accused of being soft like Indy has been virtually every season. Plus they have the best coach in the NFL who will find a way to play to their defensive strengths.  So no...the national media will not make such statements about New England.  They have earned the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise in their view.  Not the case with Indy.

Some of the concern is masked disappointment over how the draft went.  I wasn't attached to any particular player (Brown or otherwise) but just wanted to take the best DT available earlier than we did.  This was because we didn't really do much on that front in free agency. I recall you pining for Nick Fairley which I knew wasn't going to happen given his work ethic concerns.  I saw Anderson and Parry play in the preseason and while they were solid nothing jumped out at me that said "monster".   They do deserve a chance though but I am in prove it to me mode after years of watching us not have our stuff together up front.

The main reason that our defense didn't give up more points per game last year is that we play in the AFC South.  Our defense looks good against divisional opposition most of the time.  We also caught Cincinatti without A.J. Green and played our best defensive game in decades.  When tested against well balanced and legit offenses like New England, Pittsburgh and Dallas they were humiliated.  The Colts showed well against the Broncos  in the opener but  were exploited in the first half before adjusting in the second half.  So credit for that at least.  The playoff victories came against a Bengals team again missing Green and a noodle armed Manning led Broncos squad.  We shut those anemic offenses down before being obliterated by New England's balanced offensive attack. 

I think the defense has improved in the linebacker area with better depth.  The secondary is basically the same with perhaps a little better depth.  The defensive line is questionable, inexperienced and lacks depth.  Based on what I've seen in the preseason...even if they are better than last year...I don't think its enough of an improvement for us to take the next step.  But we will soon find out.

We're still in the AFC South, aren't we? And don't we play the NFC South, which was the worst division in the league last year? 

Ready to take the next step? Let's find out. But this is simply about not drafting a DL in the first round. Langford is an upgrade; yeah I wanted Fairley, but based on how they've both played in preseason, Langford is the better move. I also wanted Anderson; forget where he was drafted, he's a good player and has earned his spot in the DL rotation. Again, let's see how it goes.

I don't really care what national media says. They don't know what they're talking about. A month into the season last year, it was Jimmy Garappolo time. A month before the draft, Phillip Rivers had supposedly played his last game for the Chargers. Excuse me if I say how little I think of Peter King's opinion in this matter.

The thought I have had about all this is that they shifted dramatically to a play from ahead tactic with penetrating lineman (which we didn't have) in hopes of our high powered receivers and Luck scoring so much so fast that our opponents can never get their running game going.  It's a gamble... but if Luck and his skill players can pour on some points early, it might work.  BUT.. Luck has notoriously been a late starter hence his need to come back so often.  He's not been a score 17-21 points in the first half very often guy to date.  If that changes, then getting younger and more aggressive and getting anything out of our myriad of OLBs in pass rush, we could pull it off, at least enough to make the playoffs.  But unless we get home field advantage throughout, we'll be playing outdoors in nearly every favorite playoff teams stadiums in winter where running and stopping the run and winning a low scoring pound and ground game will be needed.  I have no idea how we pull that off.  And as I stated earlier, I think the Texans are a split with us from winning the division with a slightly easier schedule.  

We're still in the AFC South, aren't we? And don't we play the NFC South, which was the worst division in the league last year? 

Ready to take the next step? Let's find out. But this is simply about not drafting a DL in the first round. Langford is an upgrade; yeah I wanted Fairley, but based on how they've both played in preseason, Langford is the better move. I also wanted Anderson; forget where he was drafted, he's a good player and has earned his spot in the DL rotation. Again, let's see how it goes.

I don't really care what national media says. They don't know what they're talking about. A month into the season last year, it was Jimmy Garappolo time. A month before the draft, Phillip Rivers had supposedly played his last game for the Chargers. Excuse me if I say how little I think of Peter King's opinion in this matter.

Just to clarify on the bolded...beating up on one dimensional offenses just pads our defensive stats and gives the fan base a false sense of security. I don't doubt that they will continue to look good against inferior competition.  What matters is how they fare against other Super Bowl contenders who typically feature well balanced offenses.  Those are the teams that we have to get past in the playoffs to reach the next level. That is where my concern lies regarding the extent of our improvement. Flexing our defensive muscle against pop gun offenses proves nothing.  I am looking forward to the Pittsburgh and New England games this year as they will tell us alot about the extent of any defensive improvement.  Wish we had another crack at Dallas this year.  Those are the caliber of offenses that we will have to be able to deal with if we want to actually win the Super Bowl. 

I stopped reading MMQB 2 years ago and unfollowed King on Twitter in a moment of indignation. I found him a phony, self-promoting elitist who thinks he has to take a stance on everything just because he writes about football. Therefore I find everything he says not worthy of attention. Sooner or later many of you, as you get older, will realize this. By the way, I only read the title of this thread, I don't need to know details.

Isn't it against forum rules to start a new account after you have been banned?

I have done nothing offensive. I am pleasent even when attacked. I have a valid point of view shared by many others. I will make sure to keep it that way. Your gripe here was with Peter King, not me. If I had not posted it someone else would have eventually. I even stated in the opening that I thought King was exagerating. If you don't like my posts why not just put me on ignore?

Maybe for some but not for all, my concern is because there are 5 young guys in the rotation and 1 guy who is playing his first time with this team and with this D.  I like Anderson, I like Langford, I like Kerr and I like Okine and I think Parry has shown some flashes but is over-hyped on this forum but I like him as well.  But there is a reason why the Vet minumum is a higher salary than the rookie minimum, it's because experience counts.

Maybe the Colts have decided to go very simple on the Dline and they say if it's strong left, you three hit these gaps, if it's strong right you three hit those gaps and if it's balanced hit these other gaps and they save the complicated stuff for the LBers which is a very veteran group.

But all this "concern" isn't really about having rookies at DL. It's about not having everyone's favorite rookies, most notably, one of the guys we were "supposed" to draft in the first round. If it were Malcom Brown among those rookies, this concern would be excitement. And Malcom Brown isn't even good, so far. Henry Anderson was one of the best DL prospects in the draft. Getting him on the field is good. A week ago, everyone here was talking about how Parry is better than Chapman. Now, all of a sudden, the defense is entirely no good?

Just to clarify on the bolded...beating up on one dimensional offenses just pads our defensive stats and gives the fan base a false sense of security. I don't doubt that they will continue to look good against inferior competition. What matters is how they fare against other Super Bowl contenders who typically feature well balanced offenses. Those are the teams that we have to get past in the playoffs to reach the next level. That is where my concern lies regarding the extent of our improvement. Flexing our defensive muscle against pop gun offenses proves nothing. I am looking forward to the Pittsburgh and New England games this year as they will tell us alot about the extent of any defensive improvement. Wish we had another crack at Dallas this year. Those are the caliber of offenses that we will have to be able to deal with if we want to actually win the Super Bowl.

Nah, it's not a false sense of security. It's just the way it is. You play your schedule. It's not surprising that the Colts have been a step or two behind teams like New England and Pittsburgh. Doesn't mean the games where they play well don't count. Yeah, the Bengals were without AJ Green, but they didn't score a single point. We didn't have Hilton against the Cowboys, is that an excuse?

It's more of the same. Good games don't matter, just the bad ones. Good moves don't count, just the ones that don't work. Like right now with Indy media. Two weeks ago, it was all about how the offensive line can't protect, because of basically three plays in a preseason game. That's cleaned up, so now it's on to the next manufactured crisis that everyone can fuss about. In this case, the defensive line, even though the majority of people didn't even like the players that were released.

If you want to see improvement, and the only thing that matters is performance against top competition, then let's just talk in Week 6. In the meantime, the team will continue working on the roster and helping the young guys do their jobs.

I have done nothing offensive. I am pleasent even when attacked. I have a valid point of view shared by many others. I will make sure to keep it that way. Your gripe here was with Peter King, not me. If I had not posted it someone else would have eventually. I even stated in the opening that I thought King was exagerating. If you don't like my posts why not just put me on ignore?

What I posted has nothing to do with this thread. I didn't quote anyone either, I was making a general statement regarding forum policy

Nah, it's not a false sense of security. It's just the way it is. You play your schedule. It's not surprising that the Colts have been a step or two behind teams like New England and Pittsburgh. Doesn't mean the games where they play well don't count. Yeah, the Bengals were without AJ Green, but they didn't score a single point. We didn't have Hilton against the Cowboys, is that an excuse?

It's more of the same. Good games don't matter, just the bad ones. Good moves don't count, just the ones that don't work. Like right now with Indy media. Two weeks ago, it was all about how the offensive line can't protect, because of basically three plays in a preseason game. That's cleaned up, so now it's on to the next manufactured crisis that everyone can fuss about. In this case, the defensive line, even though the majority of people didn't even like the players that were released.

If you want to see improvement, and the only thing that matters is performance against top competition, then let's just talk in Week 6. In the meantime, the team will continue working on the roster and helping the young guys do their jobs.

All games count.  Beating bad teams is like playing a video game on the easy level.  Hard to gauge how good you truly are.  You learn what you are really made of against proven competition.  In order to master the game you have to up your play to compete at the highest level against the best teams.  Beating the bad teams is expected and a part of the process but not a true litmus of the extent of improvement.  We are way past that now...we are trying to win a Super Bowl.  Litmus test is New England.  See you in six weeks.

Well, he has been on the Brady side all along. However, weeks ago he correctly predicted the outcome of the trial and he listed the facts that would lead the judge to that opinion. I don't think King is a Patriot fan but I am sure that he admires Brady and the excellence that team has shown over the years. He also acknowledges the problems. He just never bought into Deflagegate and particularly the part about Brady having a hand in it. I agree with him. I think the facts were so fouled up and the investigation was so bad that I don't see how they fined or punished anyone. As far as Brady's phone, I would not have given it up either without a court order. Who knows what was on that phone and the NFL already has a record of leaking information. There could have been private texts between Brady and his wife or confidential business texts. The investigation had the other phones, they could see what if anything was said and if Brady was involved. I think it is time to just get over this and decide that it was much ado about nothing and one cannot even be sure if anything happened at all.

The Packers beat the Steelers in the SB, a good O beat a great D

DEFENSE?     RUIN will happen if Castonzo geos down ...    This team is really hurting then

OL and DL are what wins games and once again the Colt wizards think that the QB needs all the toys.... 

When will we learn?    It will be a very interesting season.

And I know ...    Indy has "tried" to draft D...  but pretty much failed badly.  

This defense is 2 injuries from absolute ruin. We have no depth, and I'm shocked that the typically astute members of this site aren't bringing this up. 

My apologies. I guess you can't mention Peter King without getting that on this board. I told everyone I would talk to them about on the proper thread. I should have done that the first time it came up.

Please keep all deflategate comments out of posts. Comment on everyone and everything, but not if involving deflategate please.  It derails the discussion and stirs up negativity on both sides.

I've already had to clean up a lot of posts, let's keep on topic and the thread open. Thanks.

I'm counting on our newest Stanford rookies to play like our other Stanford rookies did...and that's play great.  I also think we are going to successfully rush the QB this year.   I believe we stop the run with most teams, but still struggle with the great ones.  I think it may be a bit like the old Freeny/Mathis days when we sack the QB on 3rd down in the red zone and force teams to kick a field goal. 

Peter apparently doesn't think much of the Colts defense or anything that they added in the off season. I think he is exagerating a bit but I do expect the Colts to lose a few games 35-30. I believe they will win the South by default (default of the other teams not being very good) but I also expect an early departure in the playoffs. The defense is a mess and that has to be fixed if they ever want to get Luck to the Super Bowl.

YOU expect an early departure in the playoffs or Peter King does? Peter King is worthless fluff, an * who is paid off by New England media. The defense will be superior to last years. BELIEVE THAT. 

Anderson was considered a 1st round talent to a 3-4 1 gap defense. guess what,...we are now.  Anderson > Brown in this scheme. So IMO perfect for the new scheme., we justified our DL pick.

Obviously Parry fits this new scheme WAY better than any other NT we have....so another plus.

Langford is top notch DE in a 3-4, showed this in Miami, was a solid starter in a 4-3 with the Rams till they used a 1st round 'BPA'. So a steal for the Colts and another big fat +.

The new ILB's Moore and Irving are fast, heavy hitters.

Walden has shown to be getting better and better the more he plays.

Mathis didn't play last year,....enough said about that.

Cole is a solid all around OLB...good FA pick-up.

This brand new look front 7 has A LOT of potential, they just have not had time on the field together.  and playing a completely different scheme.  They have to prove themselves yes, but why does Indy fans think we are doomed?...I get why the reporters say it, they have to write something, and they don't know what is what, they just know the starters LAST year were less than  impressive, and they are gone now.  So to them, this new group MUST be worse.

But come on guys,...use your brains for once and realize there is a change of guard here, yes, we may be bad,...But there is a lot of reason to be optimistic.

I want people to understand something here about why we let Chapman and Hughes go. The NFL is about production and if players aren't producing, they will get cut. And quite simply, Anderson and Parry out performed 2 players that have long had their shot to make an impact. So while they may be rookies and will inevitably make mistakes, the potential upside is a lot better in comparison to what the Colts had with Chapman and Hughes.

Add in Langford and Cole who made some plays in the preseason and you certainly have the looks of a front 7 that is a better than last year's.

So no Peter King, the Colts won't have to score 40 a game to win.

Oh,  goodness.....   Sometimes it just gets painful around here....         :facepalm:

after more research, since you called me out, i am certain he is a patriot fan.

he has been fighting for brady all summer, he also bashes the colts at almost any chance he gets.  he refers to the patriots and him self as "we" just like i do with the colts.

he has been saying to patriot nation(which he commonly refers to as we) -  that WE should get OUR draft picks back.

a truly netural writer would not refer to a fan base as we, and yeah hes from Springfield, Massachusetts

he doesnt use the word we when talking about any other team, only the patritos

after more research, since you called me out, i am certain he is a patriot fan.

he has been fighting for brady all summer, he also bashes the colts at almost any chance he gets.  he refers to the patriots and him self as "we" just like i do with the colts.

he has been saying to patriot nation(which he commonly refers to as we) -  that WE should get OUR draft picks back.

a truly netural writer would not refer to a fan base as we, and yeah hes from Springfield, Massachusetts

he doesnt use the word we when talking about any other team, only the patritos

Find me the story where Peter King writes "WE" and "OUR" and I'll either call him a Patriots fan as you do,  or I'll be able to explain it.

So you dont think hes a Patriot fan?

I think he's a Patriots admirer.    And there's good reason.    I don't think you -- or many people here -- realize and appreciate how good the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick are.     Seriously.

Second,  I'm a media guy -- spent 30 years in the business.    There's good reason for any media guy to write good things about the Patriots.     They've dominated the NFL for roughly 15 years now.     Do you know how hard that is?      Incredibly hard.  

As for writing critical of the Colts.....   so have LOTS media types,  or haven't you noticed.    We often get critical stories about us.   We've screwed up the draft,  or we get killed by the Patriots,   or our defense isn't very good,   or we don't protect Andrew Luck,  etc,  etc.

All the same things that COLTS FANS complain about,  so does the media.     It just annoys you (and others) far more when the media does it than when a fellow Colts fan does.     And that's normal.     A member of the the family can complain about the family,  but not outsiders,  and the media are outsiders.

As to where he's from.....   BFD,   I don't care.     Peter KIng is basically the Dean of NFL writers.   He knows more about football than anyone here -- including Superman -- who I think is the smartest fan among us.   

Again,   find me a "we"  and I acknowledge what you say,  unless there's an explanation for it,  and that's what I'd expect.

That's why I said it's a question mark. So many new pieces. New SS, new starting NT,etc...we really don't know what this defense is yet.

Yeah the defensive line is an unknown quantity at this point because it is going to be very young and inexperienced.  However, the LBs and DBs are pretty solid, IMO. 

We upgraded SS with Lowery.  Hell, even if Geathers started, that would be an upgrade over Biceps McGee (Landry).  Then you have Davis, Adams (led league in TOs last year), Butler, Smith, Toler, Brown, etc.

LBs: Newsome, Cole, Mathis, Jackson, Irving, Moore, Freeman, Walden, etc.