Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay & Colts Public Relations

Steamboat_Shaun

Eh, let people talk. Irsay isn't perfect just like everyone else on this earth

Everyone makes mistakes, he got clean and is a better man for it

Every team has it's drama. Jets have star players drag racing with minors in the back seat

Life of the NFL is drama filled

:rantoff:

I'm somewhat speechless about this. As you can imagine, fans of other teams are having a field day with this on Twitter.

Bring unused or expired Rx prescriptions for safe disposal to #ColtsCamp on 8/9 & receive the 2014 highlight DVD! http://t.co/1iZAPMg60c

— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts)

August 6, 2015

Why? It is a public health concern (to keep expired drugs out of the landfill and get ride of opioids, etc. in your house so kids don't use them), and a way Jimmy can help. Obviously immature people are going to respond immaturely, but it is no different than, say, Mike Vick doing work in the context of dog fighting/care or Ray Rice doing work in the context of DV. 

Why? It is a public health concern (to keep expired drugs out of the landfill and get ride of opioids, etc. in your house so kids don't use them), and a way Jimmy can help. Obviously immature people are going to respond immaturely, but it is no different than, say, Mike Vick doing work in the context of dog fighting/care or Ray Rice doing work in the context of DV. 

I know where they're coming from, and yes, the comments are beyond absurd. But I think if I was Irsay, I'd never want my name and the words "prescription drugs" mentioned in the same breath ever again.

I'm somewhat speechless about this. As you can imagine, fans of other teams are having a field day with this on Twitter.

Bring unused or expired Rx prescriptions for safe disposal to #ColtsCamp on 8/9 & receive the 2014 highlight DVD! http://t.co/1iZAPMg60c

— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts)

August 6, 2015

I have to admit, I chuckled at this myself. 

People say it's not a good idea. I just don't see how that makes any sense. Is it weird that when you go to an AA or an NA meeting that you get sponser who has/is going through the same thing? There is no difference between that and a man who went to rehab for prescription drug abuse to be involved in helping prevent others from getting in the same situation. Also, as has been said above, it doesn't even necessarily have to do with that. Expired stuff can be bad.

People say it's not a good idea. I just don't see how that makes any sense. Is it weird that when you go to an AA or an NA meeting that you get sponser who has/is going through the same thing? There is no difference between that and a man who went to rehab for prescription drug abuse to be involved in helping prevent others from getting in the same situation. Also, as has been said above, it doesn't even necessarily have to do with that. Expired stuff can be bad.

They have these things in my city all the time. Even with Irsay's past in mind It didn't cross my mine that something sinister was at hand.

Oh c'mon. It's funny. Not something to get bent about, and if I were Irsay, I'd have a sense of humor about it. 

This would be akin to Tom Brady tweeting that people should bring their disused cellphones to training camp so that they can be properly disposed of. Don't tell me you people wouldn't laugh at that. 

I'm not bent out of shape

The colts routinely promote community initiatives: http://www.colts.com/fanzone/events/coltscity.html

I think it's silly for people to suggest that they should not support the Indiana Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force.  If anything, they are to be applauded for doing so.

It's not embarrassing to anyone

Throwing them away is one thing. Making them is another, and people should probably ask why the one type of drug (prescription opiates) that kills more people annually (consistently for years now) than all other illegal drugs combined is the one type of drug where the manufacturer is NEVER held liable for flooding our streets with addictive death. 

So I'd suggest the Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force go down to Eli Lilly and talk to them first. Not only are so many of these things being produced that it supports a multi-million dollar black market, there is apparently enough of an overflow of production of these insidious little killers on our streets that thousands of Indiana residents have enough surplus that such a drive is necessary. 

Throwing them away is one thing. Making them is another, and people should probably ask why the one type of drug (prescription opiates) that kills more people annually (consistently for years now) than all other illegal drugs combined is the one type of drug where the manufacturer is NEVER held liable for flooding our streets with addictive death. 

So I'd suggest the Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force go down to Eli Lilly and talk to them first. Not only are so many of these things being produced that it supports a multi-million dollar black market, there is apparently enough of an overflow of production of these insidious little killers on our streets that thousands of Indiana residents have enough surplus that such a drive is necessary. 

I see your point

I was watching a geneology show and this person was looking for a relative a couple of generations ago that nobody knew anything about and that her grandfather never mentioned.  It turns out he actually gave them the wrong name for her.......so great was his pain in relation to her and his desire to be disassociated from her

Anyway, it turned out that she had been addicted to morphine which, back before the government started restricting access to drugs like it and cocaine.......was routinely prescribed for pretty much everything........especially to women

A whole generation was addicted when the government cut off their access.  Then these treatment clinics sprung up to deal with the addiction problem but, just as quickly they went away leaving these people without any help

Anyway, it devastated her life as well as the lives of her children.  

Agree that the profit motive drives the widespread prescription drug problem we have and that the problem is not getting better

I'm not bent out of shape

The colts routinely promote community initiatives: http://www.colts.com/fanzone/events/coltscity.html

I think it's silly for people to suggest that they should not support the Indiana Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force.  If anything, they are to be applauded for doing so.

It's not embarrassing to anyone

It is silly, and that's why the media is having fun with it. Dan LeBatard is hosting M&M this morning, having a field day with it.

It's a good program, and it's a free country where people can be silly.

If you're getting defensive about this, then take the stick out of your butt.

Well that's not necessary

I'm not defensive

I think the drive is important and I think the organization without question asked for assistance and I don't think the colts should say no because somebody would think it's funny

It is silly, and that's why the media is having fun with it. Dan LeBatard is hosting M&M this morning, having a field day with it.

It's a good program, and it's a free country where people can be silly.

Yes, it is a free country

And that means I'm also free to express my thoughts

Yes, it is a free country

And that means I'm also free to express my thoughts

Agreed.  And to be clear, I wasn't objecting to your opinion.  I was just stating that it was an easy subject for the media to make fun of, even though it's a good program. 

If I were in Indy and could make it to camp, I'd take advantage of it just to get the DVD.

I can see the humor in this, but I also believe that it is a good program.

I am not sure why the Task Force would go down to Lilly, they do not sell prescription opiates. The abuse occurs at the doctor patient level.

Well that's not necessary

I'm not defensive

I think the drive is important and I think the organization without question asked for assistance and I don't think the colts should say no because somebody would think it's funny

That post was in reference to people getting defensive about other teams' fans making jokes about it.  I think it's hilarious.

Agreed.  And to be clear, I wasn't objecting to your opinion.  I was just stating that it was an easy subject for the media to make fun of, even though it's a good program. 

If I were in Indy and could make it to camp, I'd take advantage of it just to get the DVD.

which just reminds me most sports media, especially talk show hosts, are lazy and love nothing more than low hanging fruit that they don't have to work hard to get.

If you're getting defensive about this, then take the stick out of your butt.

Do you realize the irony of you making this comment? 

Irsay tweeted it out first.

Then realized what he has done, deleted it , and had the official team account tweet it out.

Priceless.

Well, he's no Bob Kraft, that's for sure. Perhaps Irsay should get better at publicly whining and flip-flopping. 

I can see the humor in this, but I also believe that it is a good program.

I am not sure why the Task Force would go down to Lilly, they do not sell prescription opiates. The abuse occurs at the doctor patient level.

Correct it was not Lilly.  It was purdue pharma: http://theweek.com/articles/541564/how-american-opiate-epidemic-started-by-pharmaceutical-company

And that company had everything to do with the American opiate epidemic

My thoughts are this is obviously a program of public awareness about expired prescription drugs. But, as I've said before, who in the heck is advising Irsay from a public relations standpoint ? I'm not sure why you would open yourself up to ridicule, when it is unnecessary. It's just somewhat puzzling.