Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp Thread 8/4/2015

TKnight24

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal with Allen? This being a contract year for him I would think he would be playing his best.

Eh, it's just practice

But if this does carry over into the games, maybe he should've spent more time practicing than sitting on twitter crying about not being on a poster

Had a great time today at camp. Jotted down a few notes:

1. Find it interesting that 80 and 83 warm up with the quarterbacks instead of with the receiving core and the rest of the team.

2. Watching punt returns saw 2 things: 36 looks good being able to catch at full run speed and 9 sometimes worried me because he catches it off to his side instead of getting centered under it

3. 9 did a beast mode catch up and over a perfectly positioned DB

4. Dline seemed to push around oline a lot. Yea I know it's just practice but the qbs didn't have much space on multiple pass plays

5. 80 brought his soft catching hands today, reminded me a bit of a TE that wore 44 here once

6. 80 also got a nice block on screen play

7. 30 was working it. Played with a lot of energy. Even saw a couple of true tackles from him even though it wasn't full pads. He took 9 down hard. Broke up a couple of pass plays.

8. Saw one pass fall in and bounce outta of the receivers hand, then bounce into and outta defenders hand and then back into original recievers hand. Good for a few laughs.

Had a great time today at camp. Jotted down a few notes:

1. Find it interesting that 80 and 83 warm up with the quarterbacks instead of with the receiving core and the rest of the team.

2. Watching punt returns saw 2 things: 36 looks good being able to catch at full run speed and 9 sometimes worried me because he catches it off to his side instead of getting centered under it

3. 9 did a beast mode catch up and over a perfectly positioned DB

4. Dline seemed to push around oline a lot. Yea I know it's just practice but the qbs didn't have much space on multiple pass plays

5. 80 brought his soft catching hands today, reminded me a bit of a TE that wore 44 here once

6. 80 also got a nice block on screen play

7. 30 was working it. Played with a lot of energy. Even saw a couple of true tackles from him even though it wasn't full pads. He took 9 down hard. Broke up a couple of pass plays.

8. Saw one pass fall in and bounce outta of the receivers hand, then bounce into and outta defenders hand and then back into original recievers hand. Good for a few laughs.

in case you wanted to know, 80 is fleener, 36 is herron, 9 is carter, and 30 is d'joun smith

I don't think we will either because if we where interested we would have already brought him in.

However I can't really say that I don't think we should. If we're going all in for a SB run, we have a major weakness at guard and the 2nd best guard in the NFL is a free agent and we don't at least give him a ring?

Looks like GM's disagree with PFF. I remember Daniel Jeremiah ( or some ex coach/ scout) talking about there being a gap between the nfl's take on Mathis compared to PFF.

I don't think we will either because if we where interested we would have already brought him in.

However I can't really say that I don't think we should.  If we're going all in for a SB run, we have a major weakness at guard and the 2nd best guard in the NFL is a free agent and we don't at least give him a ring?

How do you know we didn't call him?

And why do you write it as if you know we didn't?

The numbers I've seen thrown around are typical numbers for a top 5 guard in the NFL.  So his number is too high then it means teams do not consider him a top guard anymore.  Maybe he let himself go in the offseason, maybe his attitude rubs people the wrong way, maybe he will be suspended by the league for some reason as soon as he signs.

Whatever it is, money is not the reason he has not signed with a team yet.

I'm not so sure, he was to make a solid  $5.5 million with the Fighting Chip Kelly's, but skipped workouts and got a release.  Now here is a sample of his worth-

"So I asked for some opinions and had three sources guestimate what Mathis would land on the open market. The three-man anonymous panel consisted of a front-office executive, a salary cap expert and an agent.

Here were the results:

Executive: 1 year, $3-3.5 million with incentives to reach $5 million

Salary Cap Expert: 3 years, $14-17 million with $6-8 million guaranteed

Agent: 1 year, $3-4 million with incentives to reach $5.5 million

If the executive and agent are in the right range, this was a mistake by  Mathis and agent Drew Rosenhaus. They miscalculated his market."

Rosenhaus did think he'd find a new home by training camp too....   ooops!