Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp Thread 8/4/2015

TKnight24

I don't think we will either because if we where interested we would have already brought him in.

However I can't really say that I don't think we should.  If we're going all in for a SB run, we have a major weakness at guard and the 2nd best guard in the NFL is a free agent and we don't at least give him a ring?

I read he wanted something like $6M from the Jets.  So what?  We have the cap this year.  Rent him and go for it.  Worry about contracts next year.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought they abandoned the run way too much last year. It was like anytime they were down by a FG or more, all run plays went out the window immediately.

Because they knew it would be pointless with Trent back there.

I love the idea of Vontae Davis shadowing the opposing team's #1 WR but I'd like for it to be situational.

I honestly thought they abandoned the run way too much last year. It was like anytime they were down by a FG or more, all run plays went out the window immediately.

IDK. . . It may be in those cases the Pep noticed that the opposing offense was having their way with our D and he determined the only way to win was to flat out outscore them.  

The only thing I would say is that we ran too much with Trent last year and not enough with Boom.

I don't think we will either because if we where interested we would have already brought him in.

However I can't really say that I don't think we should.  If we're going all in for a SB run, we have a major weakness at guard and the 2nd best guard in the NFL is a free agent and we don't at least give him a ring?

Maybe the assumption of some fans that he is the 2nd best guard in the NFL is false.  Because if he truly was the 2nd best guard in the NFL he would no longer be a free agent.

I read he wanted something like $6M from the Jets.  So what?  We have the cap this year.  Rent him and go for it.  Worry about contracts next year.

To be fair, he's probably looking for more then a 1 year deal.  I'm pretty sure even at 6 Mil he could probably find a lot of teams willing to do a 1 year deal.

Problem is because of his age he could decline soon. . . he knows that so he's looking for a multi year deal with a good deal of guaranteed money.  

I think there is a good chance that you have a player that is greedier then his value allows.  Even with Philly he was trying to push for a big extension with guaranteed money and the like.  Yeah he's a good player now but he's 33. . . These are not usually guys you want to tie yourself to for 3 years or more.

Arian Foster's groin injury is serious in nature. Source said it should require surgery & may be candidate for IR w/ designation for return.

— Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock)

August 4, 2015

Chuck Pagano wearing a shirt for Chiefs safety Eric Berry, who has beat Hodgkin's lymphoma and returned to practice. pic.twitter.com/4atGDnWYtS

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

August 4, 2015

Maybe the assumption of some fans that he is the 2nd best guard in the NFL is false.  Because if he truly was the 2nd best guard in the NFL he would no longer be a free agent.

I had considered that too but I can't seem to find even one source that suggests that he's not good.  I do think it's highly possible he's looking for more then he's worth.  His age is a real killer to his value . . . On top of that it hurts him that he's a FA now as opposed to the beginning of FA.  When he was released most GM's have the teams they planned on going into camp with already.  

Most analysts rate him very high, top 5 for sure.  The reason he's not signed is most likely because his number is so high.

Also, you know how veterans are about camp.  Some are not real anxious to get out there. 

We need that cap this year. When Castonzo and Hilton sign their new contracts part of their signing bonuses will hit the cap this year.

Maybe the assumption of some fans that he is the 2nd best guard in the NFL is false. Because if he truly was the 2nd best guard in the NFL he would no longer be a free agent.

Not true at all. And your right about him not being the 2nd best guard in the NFL. He's the best.

I had considered that too but I can't seem to find even one source that suggests that he's not good.  I do think it's highly possible he's looking for more then he's worth.  His age is a real killer to his value . . . On top of that it hurts him that he's a FA now as opposed to the beginning of FA.  When he was released most GM's have the teams they planned on going into camp with already.  

Most analysts rate him very high, top 5 for sure.  The reason he's not signed is most likely because his number is so high.

Also, you know how veterans are about camp.  Some are not real anxious to get out there. 

The numbers I've seen thrown around are typical numbers for a top 5 guard in the NFL.  So his number is too high then it means teams do not consider him a top guard anymore.  Maybe he let himself go in the offseason, maybe his attitude rubs people the wrong way, maybe he will be suspended by the league for some reason as soon as he signs.

Whatever it is, money is not the reason he has not signed with a team yet.

Any news on how Djoun Smith is doin?

None on any of the rookies aside from Dorsett and Geathers. Little but of Robinson but only at returner

I'm sure more info will come once the pads go on full tomorrow night. And plus Pagano is great with DB's so I'm sure he's shining

The numbers I've seen thrown around are typical numbers for a top 5 guard in the NFL.  So his number is too high then it means teams do not consider him a top guard anymore.  Maybe he let himself go in the offseason, maybe his attitude rubs people the wrong way, maybe he will be suspended by the league for some reason as soon as he signs.

Whatever it is, money is not the reason he has not signed with a team yet.

LOL!  You've been around long enough to know it's always about the money!

Like Valpo said, it's probably what he wants in terms of guaranteed money, which for a guy his age may be too much for some teams.  At least the Jets seem to think so.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/08/03/jets-have-interest-in-free-agent-g-evan-mathis-but-may-cost-too-much/

Based on what? What if he won't sign for anything under $10M?

Guard Evan Mathis was set to make $5.5 million for the Eagles this season, but stayed away from Philly during offseason workouts before being released amid conflicting accounts about whether or not that’s what he wanted.

Mathis hasn’t landed another job for the 2015 season yet and Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan indicated that a big part of the reason is Mathis’s desire to get as close to that $5.5 million as possible.

LOL!  You've been around long enough to know it's always about the money!

Like Valpo said, it's probably what he wants in terms of guaranteed money, which for a guy his age may be too much for some teams.  At least the Jets seem to think so.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/08/03/jets-have-interest-in-free-agent-g-evan-mathis-but-may-cost-too-much/

It's about money in that what the team thinks is a players value and what the player thinks is his value.  But the 5.5 mil would not stop any team that wanted a guard to sign a supposed top 5 guard in the NFL.

Vick Ballard was getting worked on by trainer. Is up and walking around Joe but still talking with trainers. #ColtsCamp

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

August 4, 2015

Ballard appears to be ok. Still talking with trainers, but his body language gives reason to believe it's nothing serious. #ColtsCamp

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

August 4, 2015