Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change one play in colts history

CR91

I had the same thought Ruk.

...and before people start the debate about whether we'd be better off with Manning or Luck, that isn't at all why I said what I said.

Over the course of Peyton's Colts career, I grew to admire and respect him to such an extent, if I rubbed a bottle and a genie gave me one Colts wish (essentially the point of the OP), I wouldn't choose a single play that would give us a better shot at a Super Bowl title. 

I would choose to take back the play that changed Peyton's career forever, a change he certainly did not want. I would do that for him, as opposed to letting Nick Harper run free, or Hank Baskett cradling an onsides kick. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and before people start the debate about whether we'd be better off with Manning or Luck, that isn't at all why I said what I said.

Over the course of Peyton's Colts career, I grew to admire and respect him to such an extent, if I rubbed a bottle and a genie gave me one Colts wish (essentially the point of the OP), I wouldn't choose a single play that would give us a better shot at a Super Bowl title. 

I would choose to take back the play that changed Peyton's career forever, a change he certainly did not want. I would do that for him, as opposed to letting Nick Harper run free, or Hank Baskett cradling an onsides kick. 

It could have been like the butterfly effect and Hank Basket was never even signed!

tumblr_inline_n1hn46leS61rkq1nw.gif

I knew exactly what you meant. :applause:

That one hurt . How about Lamont Warren being tackled by a shoelace ( no gain) on 3rd and one with an open field in front of him ? That took place about 4 minutes before the Coryatt play. 

I was going to say this,  that really hurt especially the fact the the Steelers bought big time on us going to the right, if Warren was not tackled he would have scored, there was not a soul in front of him but even if he didnt it ran down the clock so #$@#$# Ernie Mills couldn't kill us 

Got you, and I don't want that debate either.  But wasn't it sort of like ripping off the band-aide?  There was going to be a day when we'd say goodbye to Peyton eventually.  Even though we didn't want it to end.  So, if we change that play, we're just postponing the inevitable.

Sometimes it's a good thing that we can't change the past, no matter how much it hurt.

Well since the other main ones have been taken....

Jim caldwells "brilliant" timeout versus the Jets which gave them time to catch their breaths and set them up for a game winning field goal.... Which also ended up being Mannings last game for us.

I was going to say this,  that really hurt especially the fact the the Steelers bought big time on us going to the right, if Warren was not tackled he would have scored, there was not a soul in front of him but even if he didnt it ran down the clock so #$@#$# Ernie Mills couldn't kill us 

Yeah for sure. But man ....at least get the yard .. don't go down with a CB hanging on to your shoelace

That's the one in my opinion. Get that touchdown, both teams end up 13-3, Colts get tiebreaker, & 1st Colts/Pats AFCCG is in Indy. Could have changed everything.

huh? Not sure you're thinking of the right timeline.

Ben tackling Harper is crushing. Manning drives us down, only to have a missed FG. Those mentioned in SB against saints are hard to forget.

How about that divisional playoff game against the Chargers. We left Shaun Merriman 1 on 1 with Tony Ugouh. He sacked Manning in the red zone to pretty much close out the game.

That. I'd change that. 

Every time I see that play ruksak, I am amazed that Manning gets up off the field. Just a brutal hit. I was not aware though that it was that hit that caused his neck problems. Was it later that season that he had the bulging disc?

'95 afc championship game failed hail mary.

Peytons pick 6 vs Saints to Porter....On a side note the Reggie Wayne drop at the goal line on the next possession on 4th down with under a minute that would have given us a fighting chance if we converted an onside kick

The Vanderjagt kick I was more in a state of shock and disbelief more then ticked, More so because of how bad he missed it then the actual fact that he missed it

Every time I see that play ruksak, I am amazed that Manning gets up off the field. Just a brutal hit. I was not aware though that it was that hit that caused his neck problems. Was it later that season that he had the bulging disc?

It's still speculative. That was from 2006, but my understanding is that Peyton knew something was wrong immediately, but he "rubbed some dirt on it" and kept going. As the years went by, symptoms progressed. 

Tony Dungy was the first I know of to speculate about the actual date of the injury, and when you watch that in slow motion, and you see him shaking his right arm afterward as he retook the field, it certainly fits. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275d670/article/dungy-traces-mannings-injury-to-hit-by-williams-redskins-d

"At least Tony Dungy believes so.

During a 2011 preseason edition of NBC's "Football Night in America," the former Indianapolis Colts coach pointed to a violent shot that Manning took against the Washington Redskins during the 2006 season as the origin of the quarterback's neck issues. Williams was the defensive coordinator of that Redskins team.

The Washington Post reported Saturday that the NFL will investigate the allegations made by five Redskins players and a former coach that Williams operated a "pay for performance" system in Washington similar to the one the NFL revealed he administered from 2009 to 2011 with the New Orleans Saints.

On the 2006 play, Manning released the ball just beforeRedskins defensive ends Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels converged upon him. While Carter came in around Manning's waist and brought him down to his knees, Daniels came in high, bending back the quarterback's head and neck and knocking off his helmet in the process.

"I'm yelling at the ref (Scott Green), 'Where's the flag! Where's the flag!,'" Dungy said, according to The Post. "And I don't yell much, but I did then. So I didn't notice Peyton calling timeout and being shaken up. Peyton came to the sideline and said to (then-backup) Jim Sorgi, 'Jim, start warming up.' As the timeout went on, he said to us, 'I can stay in, but we need to run the ball here.'"

Manning was noticeably shaken up on the play, laying on the turf for a few extra seconds and reaching for his right shoulder. After Manning picked himself up, he called a timeout, and Sorgi was seen warming up on the sideline.

As Dungy noted, Manning never left the game. The Colts ran the ball on the next play and ultimately kicked a field goal, heading into halftime trailing 14-13.

"Then we sort of forgot about it at halftime, and Peyton seemed fine," Dungy continued. "He lit it up in the second half. He was on fire (throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns). But that's the year we started cutting back on his throws at practice. ... Now, as I look back on it, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the start of his neck problems."

A much better quality vid with slow-mo (notice him shaking arm right arm at the end. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury

'95 afc championship game failed hail mary.

Peytons pick 6 vs Saints to Porter....On a side note the Reggie Wayne drop at the goal line on the next possession on 4th down with under a minute that would have given us a fighting chance if we converted an onside kick

The Vanderjagt kick I was more in a state of shock and disbelief more then ticked, More so because of how bad he missed it then the actual fact that he missed it

Though that was one of the most disappointing ends to a season, at least in my purview, Vandy should've never had a shot at that FG. 

Peyton threw an interception to Polamalu late in the game. It was called back ....to everyone's absolute shock. The call was so egregious, in a rare move, the NFL actually acknowledged it was in err. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309

So to that end, we lost that game well before the ridiculous luck that got us back into it. Still pretty disheartening to see Vandy miss that kick, but we didn't deserve that win at all. 

It's still speculative. That was from 2006, but my understanding is that Peyton knew something was wrong immediately, but he "rubbed some dirt on it" and kept going. As the years went by, symptoms progressed. 

Tony Dungy was the first I know of to speculate about the actual date of the injury, and when you watch that in slow motion, and you see him shaking his right arm afterward as he retook the field, it certainly fits. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275d670/article/dungy-traces-mannings-injury-to-hit-by-williams-redskins-d

"At least Tony Dungy believes so.

During a 2011 preseason edition of NBC's "Football Night in America," the former Indianapolis Colts coach pointed to a violent shot that Manning took against the Washington Redskins during the 2006 season as the origin of the quarterback's neck issues. Williams was the defensive coordinator of that Redskins team.

The Washington Post reported Saturday that the NFL will investigate the allegations made by five Redskins players and a former coach that Williams operated a "pay for performance" system in Washington similar to the one the NFL revealed he administered from 2009 to 2011 with the New Orleans Saints.

On the 2006 play, Manning released the ball just beforeRedskins defensive ends Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels converged upon him. While Carter came in around Manning's waist and brought him down to his knees, Daniels came in high, bending back the quarterback's head and neck and knocking off his helmet in the process.

"I'm yelling at the ref (Scott Green), 'Where's the flag! Where's the flag!,'" Dungy said, according to The Post. "And I don't yell much, but I did then. So I didn't notice Peyton calling timeout and being shaken up. Peyton came to the sideline and said to (then-backup) Jim Sorgi, 'Jim, start warming up.' As the timeout went on, he said to us, 'I can stay in, but we need to run the ball here.'"

Manning was noticeably shaken up on the play, laying on the turf for a few extra seconds and reaching for his right shoulder. After Manning picked himself up, he called a timeout, and Sorgi was seen warming up on the sideline.

As Dungy noted, Manning never left the game. The Colts ran the ball on the next play and ultimately kicked a field goal, heading into halftime trailing 14-13.

"Then we sort of forgot about it at halftime, and Peyton seemed fine," Dungy continued. "He lit it up in the second half. He was on fire (throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns). But that's the year we started cutting back on his throws at practice. ... Now, as I look back on it, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the start of his neck problems."

A much better quality vid with slow-mo (notice him shaking arm right arm at the end. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury

The hit is very much reminiscent of how the Saints beat up Favre (simultaneously high and low pushing the envelope of a second later than the whistle). No co-incidence it was the same DC Gregg Williams.

So many painful playoff memories; 70's  stabler's pass to casper ., 90's Bailey not catching Harbaugh TD, 2000's, Rothlesberger shoestring tackle, Caldwell Coaching in Jet playoff (bonehead time-out), and getting out coached against Saints SB.

The Raymond Chester not being able to get a chance on the ball thrown by Bert Jones in the 1977 Ghost To The Post Game........Also if the Colts had stuck to what was working for them late in the game mixing it up with the play action past but Ted Marchabroda told Lydel Michell and Bert Jones to run the ball they both disagreed but Marchabroda had the last word..........And of coarse we lost that heartbreaker,,,,,,,,,,,,Jones said if he had only held the ball a couple seconds londer he would of hit Raymond Chester and then said he thinks he'll go to his grave saying why didn't I wait a couple of seconds longer and hit Chester with the pass........Also the Million Dollar Fimble The Packers knocked out of Unitus"s hands while Unitus was going for a 1st down in Packers territory and the win,,,,,,,,,,,Hank Bassket daydreaming in the Superbowl then oh hey the ball comes to me..........The Arron Bailey drop against the Steelers,,,,,,,,We would of went on toe beat Dallas that year and win the Superbowl....Harper getting tripped up by Big Ben,,,,,,,,,,,,Also Lamont Warren getting showlacked by the Steelers linebacker Who wasn t even supposed to be playing in the position in that particular play........if not 1st down or more Colts win that game beat  Dallas and are Superbowl champs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Assuming you're talking about the last play of the game against New England when they stopped us on the goal line that was in fact Edgerrin James that was stuffed.

Huh....I was thinking Edge was out from injury, but it appears you're correct. 

I can make a whole list just from Super Bowl XLIV

1. Onside kick

2. Pierre Garcon dropped pass on 3rd and short that surely would have gone a long way

3. Any of the three handoffs to Mike Hart right after we stopped the Saints on the goal line (I know Peyton Manning isn't very good but he could have been trusted to throw the ball in that situation)

4. Peyton's interception