Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Improve player safety - By banning helmets?!

SteelCityColt

Its very simple and comes down to 1 thing.....The human body is not made to take collisions and that includes the head. Removing helmets wont work...That will just make things worse...Changing players stances wont work because your still going to have collisions...Its football...A collision sport...Unless you take the collision aspect out of a collision sport then risk for serious injury will always be high, The best way to prevent all this if they were dead set on putting a stop to all these injuries is to put flags on players and turn it into flag football...I'd still watch...I'd still enjoy the game even with the dramatic change

Its very simple and comes down to 1 thing.....The human body is not made to take collisions and that includes the head. Removing helmets wont work...That will just make things worse...Changing players stances wont work because your still going to have collisions...Its football...A collision sport...Unless you take the collision aspect out of a collision sport then risk for serious injury will always be high, The best way to prevent all this if they were dead set on putting a stop to all these injuries is to put flags on players and turn it into flag football...I'd still watch...I'd still enjoy the game even with the dramatic change

I'd rather see them do away with artificial turf and make natural grass fields and outdoor stadiums mandatory...the less than perfect footing would slow the game down enough to minimize some of these high speed collision injuries without making the game unrecognizable.

American football players first started wearing head protection - initially made from leather - at the turn of the 20th century when skull fractures and neck injuries were a significant and sometimes fatal problem.

If we take out helmets, won't we just revert back to that?  I don't think that's the way to go about it.  I think helmet material needs to change.  I don't know much about what a helmet's components are, but I feel like having a small, compressible layer of liquid/gel would really help.  Of course, helmets may already have that, but I think there are a lot of improvements that can be made to helmet design

I'd rather see them do away with artificial turf and make natural grass fields and outdoor stadiums mandatory...the less than perfect footing would slow the game down enough to minimize some of these high speed collision injuries without making the game unrecognizable.

The natural grass is softer too. I'm don't know the percentage but it seems like a lot of head injuries result from contact with the ground. Again I don't know that more occur on turf but it seems like a reasonable assumption. I'd imagine less leg injuries as well.

I don't like no helmets that sounds crazy. Flags would take to much away from the game

The natural grass is softer too. I'm don't know the percentage but it seems like a lot of head injuries result from contact with the ground. Again I don't know that more occur on turf but it seems like a reasonable assumption. I'd imagine less leg injuries as well.

I don't like no helmets that sounds crazy. Flags would take to much away from the game

yep...the fact is, 30 years ago these guys were smaller, slower, and they played most of the time on sloppy footing. All three of those things have changed pretty dramatically. When two bicycles crash into each other at full speed on a dirt road, you get a lot different result than when 2 motorcycles collide at full speed on a track.

Taking Helmets out isn't going to do any good.  These guys are professionals and have made a living out of sacrificing their bodies on the field.  What makes someone think they won't do that when they don't have a helmet on???

We've all seen plays where a player loses his helmet without going down and keeps on running like nothing happened despite the fact that his head being exposed while everyone else has a helmet on is a severe risk to his safety.  

No these guys will run and hit just as hard as before and sustain worse injuries and may even die on the field.  Removing helmets isn't going to make the game safer, it would be less safe.  Players don't run and hit hard because of some false sense of security due to the helmet and pads.  These guys have been playing their whole lives and they know the helmet and pads only do so much to protect you.  They run and hit hard because they have dedicated themselves to the game and want to make a living at it.  

As Gavin said the only way to dramatically make the game safer is to turn it into Flag football.  Either that will have to happen or eventually people will just have to accept that playing football especially for a long period of time puts you at risk for a lot of health problems and brain injuries.  

American football players first started wearing head protection - initially made from leather - at the turn of the 20th century when skull fractures and neck injuries were a significant and sometimes fatal problem.

If we take out helmets, won't we just revert back to that?  I don't think that's the way to go about it.  I think helmet material needs to change.  I don't know much about what a helmet's components are, but I feel like having a small, compressible layer of liquid/gel would really help.  Of course, helmets may already have that, but I think there are a lot of improvements that can be made to helmet design

That was my exact thought when I read that part.

As others have stated the root cause aside from obvious it's not good for the human body to have violent impacts is that the players have gone all Daft Punk on us in the modern era. Harder, faster, better, stronger and way way bigger. Collision forces I can image have increased at an exponential rate.

FWIW, my own take, it's a violent game, players should hopefully now know the risks and while I'm all for better equipment to improve safety don't tame the game via the rules. I'll admit it, I want to see gladiatorialesque contests in games as well as the highlight reel plays.

That was my exact thought when I read that part.

As others have stated the root cause aside from obvious it's not good for the human body to have violent impacts is that the players have gone all Daft Punk on us in the modern era. Harder, faster, better, stronger and way way bigger. Collision forces I can image have increased at an exponential rate.

FWIW, my own take, it's a violent game, players should hopefully now know the risks and while I'm all for better equipment to improve safety don't tame the game via the rules. I'll admit it, I want to see gladiatorialesque contests in games as well as the highlight reel plays.

I agree.  I think the current players won`t have the excuse(s) the older players did about not knowing what concussions do and all that.  The impacts of concussions have been well-documented and they know the risk involved in playing

I agree.  I think the current players won`t have the excuse(s) the older players did about not knowing what concussions do and all that.  The impacts of concussions have been well-documented and they know the risk involved in playing

It may sound harsh but they are also getting decent money to play. If they don't think it's worth the risk they can walk away and I have respect for Chris Borland for doing just that.

It may sound harsh but they are also getting decent money to play. If they don't think it's worth the risk they can walk away and I have respect for Chris Borland for doing just that.

To be fair, it is only here recently that the NFL has actually admitted that concussions is a problem in their game and needed to address.  In the past, they took the view of the cigarette companies when they were being attacked.

The first step really is accepting that this is going to occur and taking steps to address how to treat and get rid of this macho mentality that you are just dinged.  Many fans, players, owners, and coaches scoff at the idea of head injuries and do not take them as serious as they should. 

I would definitely like to see them return to more natural grass in every stadium to help slow things down bit and help cushion things a bit.  When I played soccer in high school it was always crazy how much faster things went when we transitioned from outdoor to indoor.  Ultimately, I do not think this will change much as I suspect it is just cheaper to do what they are now instead of taking care of the natural grass.

Head injuries increase with bigger, faster and stronger players. Most fans don't like rule changes but it has lowered the impact of concussions. Any one who plays football knows there is a very high risk of injury. It's just a matter of time that all football players will have to deal with an injury. The human body was not designed to play football and there will always be injuries no matter what rules they put in place. I don't think too many want any player to get injured but on the other hand we all love the contact. These players are paid well for their service and I don't see many changes anytime soon. All they can do is what has already been done without taking away what draws people to the sport. My middle Grandson had two major concussions playing high school football and now will have the effects of that the rest of his life. I don't know what the answer is but I wished he had never picked up a football.

I'm with you.  There are very few, if any, situations that can make me feel bad for a pro athlete.  They get paid big money to play a game for a living.  Of course the injury risk is there; you'd have to be completely naive and ignorant to think otherwise.  Different jobs have different risks, so you've gotta take the good (huge amounts of money) with the bad (injuries) and see if you really want to do it.

Or how about just ban football together for true safety rather than this shallow form of it. 

It really boggles my mind how you continue to criticize every aspect of football, but remain a fan.  How can you hate something, but still like it?

It really boggles my mind how you continue to criticize every aspect of football, but remain a fan.  How can you hate something, but still like it?

Fans criticize things they love every day. Star Wars fanboys set the standard when it comes to that. 

This question of getting rid of helmets pops up every few years. On one hand, I do agree with them sorta. Players use their helmets as weapons, we have seen. A lot of concussions would be ruled out from getting rid of the helmet (helmet to helmet collisions), but at the same time, this is a gladiator sport. Injuries will always be a part of football no matter what. 

The face mask is another part of the helmet that is vulnerable. We've all seen people grab face masks and drag players around. Running backs deal with this quite often.

So, in a way I do agree with them. The current helmets are not safety proof no matter what. But if they went back to the leather helmets, would we get broken jaw bones without the face masks and brawls? There is a history of this with the leather helmet days of brutal face injuries. 

It may rule out using the helmet as a weapon, but at the same time it's not going to get rid of head injuries, and that's my point here. 

I don't think helmets are used as weapons.  I think it's more instinctual.  When you're going to explode through someone, your natural reaction is to tuck your head in, then explode out....or it is for me, at least.  I think removing helmets would create more trouble

I don't think helmets are used as weapons.  I think it's more instinctual.  When you're going to explode through someone, your natural reaction is to tuck your head in, then explode out....or it is for me, at least.  I think removing helmets would create more trouble

I agree with this.  They don't put their heads down because they think they are gonna get someone by ramming them with their helmet.  

They do that because that's what you do instinctively to protect yourself and also protect the football.  

I say removing the helmets would be terrible because I really don't think players would slow down the least bit.  People arn't getting hurt because they feel overestimate the protective ability of the helmets.  They get hurt because they are going full go on every down because this is what they do for a living and it's the only thing they want to do for a living.  

They will go at the same speed and everything if you take the helmet out.  

This isn't some backyard football game with your buddies. . .  This isn't some game where yeah maybe you want to win but you arn't gonna go to the hospital over it.  Maybe in a game like that you might argue that helmets do more harm then good.  

These guys are gonna give it everything no matter what. 

I don't think helmets are used as weapons. I think it's more instinctual. When you're going to explode through someone, your natural reaction is to tuck your head in, then explode out....or it is for me, at least. I think removing helmets would create more trouble

For the most part it's instincts but there have been a lot of instances where players are using their 6 lb helmets as weapons. Safeties going helmet to helmet on defenseless receivers, DBs going helmet to knee on bigger guys. Your instinct would not tell you to do that if you weren't wearing a helmet. Your instinct would say: if I do that, I will die. Helmet to helmet hits became such an issue they had to ban them.

I say bring back a modernized version of leather helmets. They'll be much lighter, more comfortable, still provide some protection to the user, encourage players to form tackle, and would have no use as a weapon. Problem solved.

For the most part it's instincts but there have been a lot of instances where players are using their 6 lb helmets as weapons. Safeties going helmet to helmet on defenseless receivers, DBs going helmet to knee on bigger guys. Your instinct would not tell you to do that if you weren't wearing a helmet. Your instinct would say: if I do that, I will die. Helmet to helmet hits became such an issue they had to ban them.

I say bring back a modernized version of leather helmets. They'll be much lighter, more comfortable, still provide some protection to the user, encourage players to form tackle, and would have no use as a weapon. Problem solved.

I know I'm going to sound incredibly stupid (why change a habit of a forum lifetime...) but players really don't seem to know how to tackle properly. Go low and wrap up? 

I have no way to back this up but I'm convinced that, aside from the previously discussed increase in player size, concussions in rugby are increasing because players aren't tackling low any more because of the increase of players passing the ball as they are tackled. Where you used to be coached to place your head to the side of one hip and wrap the legs, players are now told to tackle high and wrap the arms, or better yet hit hard to jar the ball lose. We're consequently seeing more head to head collisions. 

I know I'm going to sound incredibly stupid (why change a habit of a forum lifetime...) but players really don't seem to know how to tackle properly. Go low and wrap up?

I have no way to back this up but I'm convinced that, aside from the previously discussed increase in player size, concussions in rugby are increasing because players aren't tackling low any more because of the increase of players passing the ball as they are tackled. Where you used to be coached to place your head to the side of one hip and wrap the legs, players are now told to tackle high and wrap the arms, or better yet hit hard to jar the ball lose. We're consequently seeing more head to head collisions.

That's how you form tackle in football, too. Helmet to the outside hip (generally the ball side), wrap up, drive your legs through. Simple, safe, and highly effective.

A lot of NFL players have a false sense of security with all the padding and equipment which attributes to lazy and dangerous tackling techniques.

I'd rather see them do away with artificial turf and make natural grass fields and outdoor stadiums mandatory...the less than perfect footing would slow the game down enough to minimize some of these high speed collision injuries without making the game unrecognizable.

This is the best idea yet.  I don't understand why not?  It can't be that much more cost effective to turf and if you need come type of hard ground then do what Arizona does with the pull out field.

That's how you form tackle in football, too. Helmet to the outside hip (generally the ball side), wrap up, drive your legs through. Simple, safe, and highly effective.

A lot of NFL players have a false sense of security with all the padding and equipment which attributes to lazy and dangerous tackling techniques.

I don't know if you guys have played football or not.  But my (very) limited playing time showed me that there are very few situations where you can actually form tackle.  It's pretty rare to have a guy coming at you head on and they don't try to juke you and allow you to do a form tackle.  Football plays occur so quickly that defensive players are usually just concerned with getting the ball carrier down rather than form tackling

I don't think they provide that much protection, do they?

I don't know if you guys have played football or not. But my (very) limited playing time showed me that there are very few situations where you can actually form tackle. It's pretty rare to have a guy coming at you head on and they don't try to juke you and allow you to do a form tackle. Football plays occur so quickly that defensive players are usually just concerned with getting the ball carrier down rather than form tackling

I don't think they provide that much protection, do they?

I played for ~10 years, through high school. As an ILB, where I played for nearly all 10 years, I met a lot of backs in the hole and was able to make clean form tackles pretty often, in the open field it's more difficult but if you break down and use eye discipline you can still make clean tackles. It's really just about the basics (head up, break down, engage, wrap, drive, etc), the tackles won't always look picture perfect but if you learn the basics you can apply it to live action and with enough practice and experience the game will slow down. Rather than flying around out of control trying to spear people or chop out legs, which will be less successful and more dangerous.

Regarding the leather helmets, that was half serious, half jest. It would be an interesting experiment, though.

I don't know if you guys have played football or not. But my (very) limited playing time showed me that there are very few situations where you can actually form tackle. It's pretty rare to have a guy coming at you head on and they don't try to juke you and allow you to do a form tackle. Football plays occur so quickly that defensive players are usually just concerned with getting the ball carrier down rather than form tackling.

I never got the opportunity to play Gridiron, but I played Rugby to a high standard and there is a certain amount of crossover. You're taught to form tackle from various angles so as long as you've got the pace and get your pursuit angle right you should be able to tackle the guy correctly. It might not always look pretty but it's effective. If you wrap someone's legs properly doesn't really matter how big they are.

The issue IMO isn't that players don't form tackle because it's not effective but because they are looking to lay wood or to tackle higher up looking to strip the ball.

I never got the opportunity to play Gridiron, but I played Rugby to a high standard and there is a certain amount of crossover. You're taught to form tackle from various angles so as long as you've got the pace and get your pursuit angle right you should be able to tackle the guy correctly. It might not always look pretty but it's effective. If you wrap someone's legs properly doesn't really matter how big they are.

The issue IMO isn't that players don't form tackle because it's not effective but because they are looking to lay wood or to tackle higher up looking to strip the ball.

The NFL is trying to deter players from doing that with things like the defenseless receiver rule or hits to the head.  But, as we've seen before, aiming low could result in lots of knee injuries.  In the end, injuries are a part of the sport and the players can't blame anyone but themselves (if what the NFL says is true about how they're funding helmet/concussion research and all that).  They know the risks involved

A little article from this side of the pond I thought I'd share:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/33167457

I'm not sure what to make of it if I'm honest, gut reaction is the net effect would be more injuries still without helmets.

Back when they had leather helmets, head injuries were less often because players were less prone to lead with their head and tackle properly.

The NFL seems to have asked Dr. John York to recant his statements about a future with no helmets in football, which is unrealistic, IMO. Helmets protect against skull fractures and brain contusions/bruising.

Quote:

“John York told CSNBayArea.com Saturday that he believes the helmet is so ingrained in the tradition of American football that he does not believe that will ever change. He said he told the BBC that there could be some adjustments made to the three-point stance, but he never suggested helmets could be banned from the NFL.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/york-doesnt-see-helmets-going-anywhere-nfl

I know I've said this before but custom mouth pieces help UFC fighters and boxers from getting K.O and concussions because of the angle of the jaw. The NFL doesn't even require them at all..... People always look for a drastic change to improve something and skip over they easy fixes.

As long as players are paid for being entertainment the proper tackling issue will never go away. You are much more likely to get that 10+ million a year contract when you hit like a truck and get on the highlight reel than a proper tackler who does his role.

I know I've said this before but custom mouth pieces help UFC fighters and boxers from getting K.O and concussions because of the angle of the jaw. The NFL doesn't even require them at all..... People always look for a drastic change to improve something and skip over they easy fixes.

Cause football players aren't getting punched in the jaw. Getting a concussion from a hit to the back of the head has nothing to do with jaw alignment.