Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite draft pick

What makes you say that? I think Dorsett is capable of being much more than "just a speedster".

Watch his tape, route tree is limited. Dude averaged I believe it was 24 ypc or something to that number. Mostly deep routes and quick slants. Just wanna see more out of him. Be more than just a deep threat boom or bust. Be a chain mover like Hilton has developed/developing into but still can burn you on any given play

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper is the better WR for numerous reasons

1. Lead the SEC in receiving

2. Played in the hardest conference in the CFB world and balled out

3. Made Blake Sims look gawdly at times

4. Great hands and route runner

Dorsett is really just another speedster, it's too easy to take those kind of players out. Look at Hilton every time we play the :flyingelvis:

Problem with the speedster WR's, while they are fun to watch when they make plays..... it's disappointing when they don't make the plays and become invisible

You gotta have time in the pocket or just be Andrew and throw strikes with defender's draped on your back to make the speedsters ball out

Thanks for the eventual opinion. Dorsett also has great hands,  he has a 25 yd per catch avg, he is a TY clone and guys like Hilton and Dorsett take out guys like Sherman very easily. Your college opinion of him means very little though. If that translated to the pros, then no one ever taken in the top 10 would be a bust. RGIII would have made the Super Bowl by now, it doesn't happen like that. Tell me who on the Pats will stop Hilton and Dorsett now? Any kind of receiver has a bad CB matchup. Revis and Chris Harris is TY's and probably Dorsett's. Revis is gone. The only thing Cooper is great at is his route running, something that can be taught.

The issue with NE, is they put a man on him in his face, then if you watch closely, they have a guy 'shadowing' over the top.  basically a double team.  And team do that all day long when your running game isn't going anywhere, cause they know what you're going to do.  We establish a running game, and then have our plethora of receivers on the field, they have to play straight up because damage can come from anywhere.  Route running is a skill that can be taught, Speed isn't.  I still say both WR's are going to end up being top notch.

Thank you! Beat me to it.

I mean Dorsett is obvious unless he just pulls a DHB and drops his way outta indy. Cooper has to work for it more. Carr is gonna be a good QB, but he's no Andrew. And we also have the better team. Cooper has more of a challenge to be good than Dorsett but I'll still take Cooper any day over any WR that came out this draft

Well, yeah,..Carr is not Luck, and offensively, the Raiders are not the Colts.  So yeah,..Cooper is going to get his shares of doubles on that team.  We can wait and see how he handles that in his rookie season.  

Watch his tape, route tree is limited. Dude averaged I believe it was 24 ypc or something to that number. Mostly deep routes and quick slants. Just wanna see more out of him. Be more than just a deep threat boom or bust. Be a chain mover like Hilton has developed/developing into but still can burn you on any given play

yeah, he did say he wanted to work on his route running, and A.J. going to be a good teacher.  His hands are good though,...he had only those few receptions..but of all the balls thrown his way that was 'catchable', he only dropped one.  he gets his route running down, he'll be a monster opposite of t.y.  (it took t.y. 2 years to get route running down well enough to make those sharp cuts)

Not understanding how the "best" WR in the draft is gonna be a 3rd-4th string WR while the "not even the 2nd best" is gonna be starting day 1 but okay. And really don't see what age has to do with this but again...... okay

Terrible explanation as both WRs are going into completely different situations.

You can only do so much when you have a freshman QB and a offense that is based on the run game first. For the role Dorsett played in Miami he lit it up and I believe he will be that much better when he has a QB that is of Luck's caliber and can get him the ball more often.

Most interesting is Goode to me though. Not alot to go on, but has the size, and athletic ability to make a serious impact in the run game.  But don't know his pass blocking abilities, or his ability to learn schemes or work habits.

I want to see Good come in as a 6th offensive lineman on short yardage plays.  He looks like a road-grading people mover.  He might be what this offense has needed to get the power run game going that Chuck has been talking about for three years.

I might be outsmarting myself here (I'm not Belichick), but I'd like to see a "2TE" set where Good lines up as one of the 2 TEs (eligible receiver or not, doesn't matter) with Allen or Fleener as the other TE (Allen can run-block, whereas Fleener can flex out to the slot), then TY and Dorsett as the two receivers.  Good would create a 6-man Oline for Gore to run behind, and if the defense stacks the box because of it, TY and Dorsett can burn the secondary for long gains.

Get on it Pep.

Didn't that have as much to do with the QB as anything? I don't believe he ever really ran a lot of different routes at Miami, he was mostly utilized as a deep threat, but that doesn't mean all he can do is be a deep threat. He burned corners on all kinds of route at the senior bowl. 

It's hard to pick between Anderson and Geathers. I love what Anderson brings to the table but I think Geathers is going to be a real enforcer and tone setter for the D.

I was also a big fan of the Robinson pick.

Agree with this. Geathers will be what LaRoid was supposed to be for us.

Cooper is the better WR for numerous reasons

1. Lead the SEC in receiving

2. Played in the hardest conference in the CFB world and balled out

3. Made Blake Sims look gawdly at times

4. Great hands and route runner

Dorsett is really just another speedster, it's too easy to take those kind of players out. Look at Hilton every time we play the :flyingelvis:

Problem with the speedster WR's, while they are fun to watch when they make plays..... it's disappointing when they don't make the plays and become invisible

You gotta have time in the pocket or just be Andrew and throw strikes with defender's draped on your back to make the speedsters ball out

Why is this even a debate ? Cooper was taken at #4...No way he would be there at #29..DUH. I think they will both be great, and glad we have one of them.

Anderson seems to be the logical choice based both on need and his talent.  I fear Dorsett could turn into another Tavon Austin type disappointment or Stedman Bailey as well.  Tavon was predicted to be Rookie of the Year by a large margin of prognosticators.  With only 35 receptions, it is hard to really know how he could step up to #2 or #1 if TY isn't resigned or AJ retires.  I also don't understand why so many are just giving up on/forgetting Moncrief. I thought HE was our #2 of the future?  Look Dorsett could turn out to be everything we hope and more and I wouldn't be surprised, but I see so many similarities to Tavon Austin who has been close to a bust in St. Louis.  Speed isn't everything.   TY is a unique talent, it would be an amazing turn if we had 2 of them with roughly equal talent.  

Anderson seems to be the logical choice based both on need and his talent.  I fear Dorsett could turn into another Tavon Austin type disappointment or Stedman Bailey as well.  Tavon was predicted to be Rookie of the Year by a large margin of prognosticators.  With only 35 receptions, it is hard to really know how he could step up to #2 or #1 if TY isn't resigned or AJ retires.  I also don't understand why so many are just giving up on/forgetting Moncrief. I thought HE was our #2 of the future?  Look Dorsett could turn out to be everything we hope and more and I wouldn't be surprised, but I see so many similarities to Tavon Austin who has been close to a bust in St. Louis.  Speed isn't everything.   TY is a unique talent, it would be an amazing turn if we had 2 of them with roughly equal talent.  

Good analysis on Dorsett and Austin, but you are missing one key element. The Rams are using Tavon Austin incorrectly. The Colts will not make that mistake with Dorsett and they have someone similar in TY which they have already had prior experience with. Dorsett is on the perfect team here and as long as he performs great and gets the opportunity to do so, he will be our slot receiver IMO this year.

Again, I don't listen to scouts. Cooper is the better WR and that's my opinion. And I was glad we didn't take Brown even though I wanted him but only cause he went to Texas and I like Texas.

Brown doesn't fit our scheme, he's a 4-3 DT and nothing more imo. We need someone who can handle double teams. Brown experienced a few of those at Texas and at times was taken out the play by them. We need a disruptive force in the middle and I don't believe brown would've brought that, at least not to our defense

Apparently Grigson agrees or he would've taken him

Belicheck knows more about Everything over Grigson. Tell us who rotates with Arthur Jones? We play a ton of 4 man fronts too BTW! Pure silliness.

D'Joun Smith filled a big need.

Belicheck knows more about Everything over Grigson. Tell us who rotates with Arthur Jones? We play a ton of 4 man fronts too BTW! Pure silliness.

D'Joun Smith filled a big need.

Belichick knows more about everything over ALL NFL gm's and coaches.    If you were trying to insult Grigson,  well,  I don't think you got very far with that.

As for Arthur Jones,  the guy was hurt for almost the entire year....   I don't think we saw anything close to what the guy is capable of.    You really want to be sitting there in your living room telling us you know more than Grigson, Pagano, Manusky and Hamilton?     

Good analysis on Dorsett and Austin, but you are missing one key element. The Rams are using Tavon Austin incorrectly. The Colts will not make that mistake with Dorsett and they have someone similar in TY which they have already had prior experience with. Dorsett is on the perfect team here and as long as he performs great and gets the opportunity to do so, he will be our slot receiver IMO this year.

The rams also haven't had exactly great qb play either.

I love the first three picks, and really like the fourth.  But I'm going to say my favorite is Dorsett, because of all the terrible things we could have done with the pick.  I'm with Jared, and I really considered him one of the best receivers in the draft.  I think that virtually everyone thinks that Cooper and White are in another class, and they're probably right.  But, there was probably such agreement among draftniks for players like Justin Blackmon and Michael Crabtree in their respective years.  So, I don't think Jared is out of line by stating that Dorsett is the best in the draft.  I would say that beyond the top 2, I would take Dorsett above Parker (way over-rated in my opinion), Perriman (all the speed of Dorsett, with fewer receiving skills), and Agholor (who I like, but not as much as Dorsett). 

At any rate, I always felt that Malcom Brown was a good fit for our system, but was being over-rated.  He'll be a good pro, but his physical traits won't allow him to dominate in the pros like he did in college.  His lack of special physical gifts won't make him the next Richard Seymore or Vince Wilfork, but he'll be a good piece of their puzzle.  As for Goldman, Kendricks, Randall, Rowe (my favorite at the time of our selection), Landon Collins, or any other defensive player Colt fans were clamoring for, I really believe Dorsett was a better player (and the BPA).  We filled our holes pretty admirably with the next three picks (especially since I disagreed with the prevailing notion that we badly needed a NT), so I'm very happy we didn't waste our 1st by reaching for a defensive player.  I've never advocated for a strict BPA, but in this instance I think we got by far the best player available to us.

it's so hard to pick just one guy. I think at least half of these guys pan out well for us in the long run.

I really like:

Dorsett

Smith

Anderson

Geathers

Robinson

I think all of those guys are still on the roster and starting a 3-5 years down the road barring injuries. 

I'm definitely most excited to see what all of these guys can do. Anderson probably takes the cake though, because having a young game changer on the D-line would give us an edge we didn't have before. I hope all our draft picks pan out though, and I think we did a great job of picking guys who have a good chance of making an impact on our roster.

He only ran like 3 routes at Miami. Nobody can really comment on his route-running abilities either way.

Yeah, but he'll run more than that with the Colts.  The routes he ran he did well at them, and he was also limited 

by the quarterback.  I don't know of too many people who come out of college excellent at route running, but I don't

think it will take Dorsett too long to add on to what he already has.  He's certainly not some big project.  

He was asked to run a fairly limited route tree at Miami. I don't think it is indicative of his ability to run a more expansive tree. 

That's what I mean.  Being limited and being a poor route runner are two different things.

Dorsett was limited by the offensive style and the quarterback.  I agree with you that it is

in no way indicative of his ability to add more to the route tree.

I'm definitely most excited to see what all of these guys can do. Anderson probably takes the cake though, because having a young game changer on the D-line would give us an edge we didn't have before. I hope all our draft picks pan out though, and I think we did a great job of picking guys who have a good chance of making an impact on our roster.

I personally don't see Anderson as a "game changer". I think he'll be a solid addition to the DL but I don't see him being a guy you have to game plan for. I hope I'm wrong but there's nothing wrong with being a nice solid contributor and all around player. For me, the favorite pick is probably Smith. He looks like he has the potential to be a real good corner and I say that because he can cover and he's a very good tackler. Its hard to find guys that can lock down as well as tackle in the open field. I think Smith can do both.

I personally don't see Anderson as a "game changer". I think he'll be a solid addition to the DL but I don't see him being a guy you have to game plan for. I hope I'm wrong but there's nothing wrong with being a nice solid contributor and all around player. For me, the favorite pick is probably Smith. He looks like he has the potential to be a real good corner and I say that because he can cover and he's a very good tackler. Its hard to find guys that can lock down as well as tackle in the open field. I think Smith can do both.

Yeah, like any other player in our draft, Anderson could even turn out to be a real bust. However, watching his film just makes me feel like we may have gotten ourselves a steal. I'm sure "Solid Contributor" is a more realistic result than game changer, but I'm speaking optimistically here. haha. I want all of our draft picks to excel and reach what we think their potential is. I simply feel that if Anderson reaches his potential then we have a young monster on the d-line for years to come.

My favorite draft pick was not a draft pick but UDFA Donald Celiscar:  I don't know if he will be quite NFL ready in 2015 but starting in 2016 I think he will be the Colts nickle corner.  I watched the Michigan State/Western Michigan game because I wanted to see how he did against a big school and he completely frustrated the receivers he was guarding.  His positives that I saw were:

• Great burst, gets up to full speed immediately
  • Elite lower body agility - He could change directions without missing a step.
  • Great awareness - Was not fooled by double moves, seemed to have a feel for when the QB would throw and he would start looking for the ball
  • Fearless in both coverage and in the running game
  • Excellent placement of hands around a receiver to knock the ball away without drawing a penalty.

His weakness are:

• Does not have great speed, probably on the low end of what is acceptable for an NFL corner.
  • Not a good tackler, he's will throw his body in there but uses no form, does not wrap up.

Because of his speed I don't think he could ever be a #1 or #2 corner but he is the type that can play the nickle position for years and really be a standout.  And I think his skill set can give a D some flexibility in alignment, where they could maintain the base 3-4 but have Celiscar as kind of a CB/Safety hybrid because he's strong enough to cover TEs and quick enough to cover the slot receiver.  Over the last two years of his college career, he allowed just 37.5% completion percentage and had a whopping 33 PDs.