Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

last season, teams gameplanned to contain TY. now what do they do?

bananabucket

remember Michael Irvin's quotes?

"He's in the stratosphere now where defensive coordinators, when they lay their head on the pillow at night, the last letters that go through their heads are T.Y.," said Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin. "And when they wake up and crack their eyelids in the morning, the first letters that go through their heads are also T.Y. So, you better believe their whole job is not to let T.Y. beat them."

Jon Gruden:

"That's why you have to have multiple people who can do damage. If they're doubling (Hilton), someone's singled. They can't double everybody."

John Harbaugh:

“T.Y. Hilton is a great deep threat,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. “You’re playing in the back end in this league or any league really, I don’t care if it’s Pop Warner, you better keep the receivers in front of you. If you don’t do that, you’re going to be in for a long afternoon or night.”

what are teams going to do now?

Double TY?  good luck with AJ/Dorsett/Moncrief.

Double AJ?  good luck with TY/Dorsett/Moncrief.

play nickel/dime?  good luck with Gore.

people need to stop focusing on the negative and start looking the positives.  yeah we gave up 45 in the AFCCG... we also only scored 7.  how did NE neutralize our passing attack?  they doubled TY and put their best corner on our #2.  that won't be good enough this season.  

even with the NE game, we were 18th against the run last season.  thats before Langford, Cole, and Irving were added.

yeah but it's the performance in the post season that counts i don't care if we're #1 against the run all year doesn't mean anything if we get blown out by the patriots...again

do you all understand that we had the 11th ranked defense and the 18 ranked run defense? That's not good but it isn't the dumpster fire nearly all of you make it out to be. I actually think last years run D was the best I've seen since our #3 defense back in 07. ( though that isn't saying much).

do you all understand that we had the 11th ranked defense and the 18 ranked run defense? That's not good but it isn't the dumpster fire nearly all of you make it out to be. I actually think last years run D was the best I've seen since our #3 defense back in 07. ( though that isn't saying much).

I think our defense played well at times. However, to be fair we do play in the AFC South against some of the worst offenses in the league. Finishing #18 in run defense while playing against those offenses is nothing to be proud of.

It really is what is holding the Colts back from being a more dominant team, especially a team to be feared in the playoffs.

they doubled TY and put their best corner on our #2.  that won't be good enough this season.  

Not to mention, they no longer have Revis, Talib or Browner. 

This is the way to beat the Patriots - to outscore them.  The second we stop the run, they'll just dink and dunk us to death over the middle.  Just because they ran all over us, doesn't mean they couldn't also pass on us at will, if they wanted.  I have no faith whatsoever that we could do anything, defensively, within a few drafts to shut down their offense.  They're too good, experienced and clever.  Seattle has one of the best defenses in recent memory, and even though the Patriots turned the ball over twice, they scored 28 against Seattle.  If Seattle needed 31 to beat them, we, for the foreseeable future, will need to score, score, score to beat them.  With our offensive additions and the disintegration of their secondary, we at least have a chance to do so. 

I thought they picked up Johnson and Gore to fix the offensive issues in the AFC Championship game. You guys talk about the signings of Langford and Cole, but what about our offensive additions. We should have definitely went defense.

I hear all this talk about what the patriots did to us... Correct me if I'm wrong, was it not 7-17 at half? And thanks to a muffed punt that led to a TD! Imagine if our offense actually moved the ball and killed some time while putting up points.... No way belichick and brady could sit back and gas our D! Because our D wouldn't be on the field as much!!!

I hated the Dorsett pick as much as others... But more I think bout it, I think it was smart move by Grigson... Giving our future HOF Qb 2 TY's! And we got Henry Anderson so I can't complain!

As a Texans fan, I'm pleased to see the dissent here. However, I'm also aware that crap like this generally works out for you, regardless. So... here's looking to a great two game series between our clubs. 

Houston has had a solid draft so far. I'm not taking you guys lightly. 

I think our defense played well at times. However, to be fair we do play in the AFC South against some of the worst offenses in the league. Finishing #18 in run defense while playing against those offenses is nothing to be proud of.

It really is what is holding the Colts back from being a more dominant team, especially a team to be feared in the playoffs.

And the Texan barely finished top 10 in run defense. And they are behind us in overall defense and pass defense. Yet so many people wanna make their D out to be sooooo scary. They got JJ Watt and Maybe Clowney. So it must say something about the Texans D too.

"He's in the stratosphere now where defensive coordinators, when they lay their head on the pillow at night, the last letters that go through their heads are T.Y.," said Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin. "And when they wake up and crack their eyelids in the morning, the first letters that go through their heads are also T.Y. So, you better believe their whole job is not to let T.Y. beat them."

Jon Gruden:

"That's why you have to have multiple people who can do damage. If they're doubling (Hilton), someone's singled. They can't double everybody."

John Harbaugh:

“T.Y. Hilton is a great deep threat,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. “You’re playing in the back end in this league or any league really, I don’t care if it’s Pop Warner, you better keep the receivers in front of you. If you don’t do that, you’re going to be in for a long afternoon or night.”

people need to stop focusing on the negative and start looking the positives.  yeah we gave up 45 in the AFCCG... we also only scored 7.  how did NE neutralize our passing attack?  they doubled TY and put their best corner on our #2.  that won't be good enough this season.  

Colts defense has to be able to do a better job of getting off the field on 3rd down against the Pats.  Otherwise Luck and the offense won't get enough snaps to score alot of points.  True our offense is loaded. Defense...as always is the question.

T.Y and Dorsett should blow the lids off of defenses all year.  We have Andre Johnson along with Fleener and Allen who can move the chains and will be running wild with the field being stretched.  Then there is Moncrief who has size and speed and can give us a mixture of both deep routes or possession catches.  And we haven't even started talking about our running game yet with Gore, Boom, Josh Robinson and hopefully a healthy Ballard.  We are filthy loaded.  This could be one of the best Colts offenses ever even including the Manning years. 

If Hilton is your #1, teams are going to double cover and key on him. That's just how it works. The Colts are loaded with weapons though to the point they won't have to depend on one guy out there. Johnson will add that as well as Fleener, and I believe Frank Gore should help. 

I'm not concerned about the offense, we were going to score 30 ppg with or without Dorsett. Luck makes average WR's good and good WR's great. If we can't stop the Patriots or Steerlers from scoring 40 it won't matter. Dorsett is a great player, but WR wasn't a need. There were blue chip prospects like Collins, Gregory, and Brown still on the board that was better value.

Jon Gruden:

John Harbaugh:

people need to stop focusing on the negative and start looking the positives.  yeah we gave up 45 in the AFCCG... we also only scored 7.  how did NE neutralize our passing attack?  they doubled TY and put their best corner on our #2.  that won't be good enough this season.  Finally some in Colts Nation is starting to get it (No reflection on you).  So much, too much negative talk about this pick. But in reality when the Colts made this pick it was game over.  This up coming year is going to be a wild ride. And even now many fans really don't see it. Ryan put in work in this draft starting with Dorsett.  One more thing thing, Normally teams put their best cover CB on Ty, and the LB or a dime CB on the third WR. The question teams will ask now is which LB, or third CB is going to cover AJ, TY, or Dorsett. If you put in four CBs, lookout for FG, Josh (rookie), or Boom

Considering we didn't play that many teams with heavy running attacks, it's not surprising. What great RB did we shut down besides Shady?

Considering we didn't play that many teams with heavy running attacks, it's not surprising. What great RB did we shut down besides Shady?

The Houston Texans feature a heavy running attack and a guy named Arian Foster.

For starters. 

I'm actually ashamed to be a Colts fan, following such a stinking organisation. And a back office that is so poor, that they can't just go and sign-up a whole bunch of pro-bowl defenders. I mean, what are they thinking.

Oh I dunno, maybe not screwing our future team with crazy cap hits... This team is building for "sustained success" in the words of Irsay... That doesnt happen overnight.