Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am annoyed by this!

IcEWoLF

The NFL season is too damn short! The offseason feels too long!

They need to do something about this, no other sport is this short...add more roster spots, add more games to the regular season, add more spots to the playoffs, do something, this offseason is driving me nuts....

Its so short because of the punishment players take in football, Players in just about every other sport don't take the constant punishment, Adding more roster spots sounds good in theory but I think it would just add to more players getting injured

They need to do something about this, no other sport is this short...add more roster spots, add more games to the regular season, add more spots to the playoffs, do something, this offseason is driving me nuts....

Players cant take the punishment of a longer season. Most cant take what it is already. Very few players go all year without getting injured. It wouldn't bother me is the NFL done away with Thursday games altogether. Most Thursday games are boring because the players are no ready to play.

In order to extend the regular season I think a number of changes would need to be made. Bigger rosters, a 2nd bye week, cutting down on the number of preseason games.. Even then it's a tough ask which the players won't be interested in unless they are getting compensated.

Read up on the election for the Players union president, this subject was touched upon in a few manifestos. I'm trying to find the specific article I read a while back but I'm struggling. Premise was its going to happen regardless to the players need to get the maximum moo at the next CBA deal.

I hear you! Many of us feel this way but as many here have written, more games means more injuries and more physical punishment to players. I like the idea of two bye weeks to extend the season but that too has its drawbacks. (I don't enjoy NFL Sunday as much when my team is on bye.)

The season will be here before you know it. Go catch a few games at Fenway. :P

The off season is what it is

Add more roster spots ? Okay

Add more games ?  More injuries & shorter careers for many just for  regular season amusement it would create more opportunities for sub par players who currently don't qualify thus diluting the quality of the game.

Players need time to heal & have there own lives while they train preparing for the upcoming season .

Try Arena Football take the edge off ..

It's not just as simple as saying you want to have a longer season.  A longer season means you need to increase roster sizes, maybe increase practice squad, you'd need to increase the salary cap for those extra players on the roster, you'd probably have to give a 2nd bye week, you'd have to pay all those officiating crews for more work, you might have to re-structure playoffs or pre-season, etc.  Not only that, but the history of the game becomes compromised to some extent.  All the records will be broken.  You want to maintain the integrity of the game.  As a fan, you want as much football as you can get.  But realistically, there's a lot that goes into it

Owners will make more money so players will get compensated more, plus most NFL players are well paid...plus the owners want more games. Look at hockey, I think that's a very punishing sport right there, but still manages to have a long season. NFL athletes are not made out of glass. Plus they would only be playing once a week!

The off-season isn't driving you nuts.     You were nuts to begin with.

Part of the success of the NFL is the off-season.    By the time the season rolls around,  you're ready to cough up huge $$ for season tickets and premium parking.    And that includes for the meaningless pre-season games.   

Players don't want a longer season.    Coaches don't want a longer season.   Neither does the front office.

The only people who unanimously want a longer season,  are the owners.

Fans are mostly divided.    Those of us who care for the players are fine with the 16 game season.   Those who have no life want a longer season.    Sorry.

The NFL isn't broken.    It doesn't need to be fixed.  

I don't want this off-season to end given the Pats are champs. :)  This has been one of the best off-seasons ever as the last memory of the season is Malcolm Butler. :thmup:

But I like the off-season a lot anyways. I like the team building process from FA to the draft and this year we have had a few big trades on top. I think it is just right actually. Any longer and it will feel like the other sports that seem to never end and have almost every team makes the post-season.

Lets get real crazy with it then.

1. Get rid of the preseason all together
  2. Rosters are now 63 players
  3. Season is now 18 games long
  4. Two bye weeks per team per season
  5. Mandatory week 9 bye for EVERY team.
  6. Second bye week is between week 15 and week 18
  7. NFL only schedules first half of season
  8. Second half of season is determined by W/L record
  9. Before playoff teams are announced/seeded each team has their best and worst games removed from consideration
  10. Playoffs have expanded to 16 teams
  11. Four first round byes
  12. Superbowl has to be played at stadium on the moon(under construction)

I think a second bye week and an expanded roster should be considerations regardless whether or not they extend the season.

The 16 game regular season is already pretty close to the sweet spot once I get past my general desire to endlessly watch football.

9. Before playoff teams are announced/seeded each team has their best and worst games removed from consideration

uhhhhhh-cool-huh-huh-huh_zpswcpyidjq.jpg

Just as I like four different seasons of the year....

I also like the different seasons of the various sports.    And I like the off-season for each sport as the team try to re-configure themselves to become more competitive.

Think of it as the four seasons of life for sports.   Everything changes and comes back around to the beginning.

It's the Circle of Life, Simba!!      :thmup:

- Add one more preseason game.

- Have two bye weeks instead of one.

- Do away with the bye games during the playoffs....add two more teams to each conference and spread the wild card weekend over two weekends.....it will add another weekend to the playoffs.

- Move the pro-bowl to after the Super Bowl.

- Evenly divide the rest of the time during off season between the combine, draft and training camp. 

This would practically make the season year round.

If the NFL ever comes up with a viable development league, it'd be cool if their season ran on a different schedule, maybe from April or May through late August or September. 

I realize that presents some impractical elements, but if the season runs concurrent with the pros, I don't think anyone would pay much attention. 

you realize there is playoff hockey and basketball going on, the draft is next week, and baseball season is in full swing. Yes the month following the superbowl isn't great but leads up to march madness. seriously you don't need football year round and neither do the players' bodies.

We all laugh now but on the dark side of the moon they're constructing the future home of the Jacksonville Moonies.