Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tevin Coleman runs 4.35, 4.4 at Pro Day

I hope you don't mean trade back from 29 and take him if our first pick this year in the draft is a RB the forum and fans will riot

I'm just saying that is the scenario that would put us in better position.  Not necesarrily saying we should.

Indiana University running back Tevin Coleman held his pro day today, and every NFL team was represented.  Perhaps no team was more interested than the Indianapolis Colts, however, who sent a number of people to watch Coleman, including offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, running backs coach Charlie Williams, and national scout Matt Terpening.

Colts' Pep Hamilton is speaking to Coleman, apparently asking him to run certain routes. Coleman has caught everything near him. #iufb

— David Woods (@DavidWoods007) April 15, 2015

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/4/15/8420893/colts-pep-hamilton-in-attendance-at-tevin-colemans-pro-day

Indiana University running back Tevin Coleman held his pro day today, and every NFL team was represented.  Perhaps no team was more interested than the Indianapolis Colts, however, who sent a number of people to watch Coleman, including offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, running backs coach Charlie Williams, and national scout Matt Terpening.

Colts' Pep Hamilton is speaking to Coleman, apparently asking him to run certain routes. Coleman has caught everything near him. #iufb

— David Woods (@DavidWoods007) April 15, 2015

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/4/15/8420893/colts-pep-hamilton-in-attendance-at-tevin-colemans-pro-day

"If we miss, we better not miss in our backyard"- Ryan Grigson

He's certainly taking that sentiment very seriously. They've shown a lot of interest in Coleman, going all the way back to the Combine where they apparently met with him twice. I'm sure they know him very well by now.

I Hope we don't pass on one of the big D Lineman for this kid. We really need to focus on the D early IMO

I am just not a fan of drafting a RB early when you can get the same quality later in the draft. It's a deep class and there isn't a lot that separates them IMO

The RB's will do as well as the O Line allows them too. In our case that could be pretty good if we stay healthy.

I really feel it's going to be a matter of who is available at the time the Colts pick and how the Colts have players valued.

This is going to be an exciting first round for the Colts to me because there are so many directions they can go and it's almost impossible to try and gauge what they're doing.

I really like the kid but I don't think he reaches our pick in rd 2. I don't think we trade back to get him because we have several needs to fill on both sides of the line and there should be value picks there for us when we select. Moving up in rd 2 I can't see us doing that except maybe a couple spots if he was still available. IMO I think he is a 10-15 pick in rd 2....lot of teams with RB needs in this draft. I think he could definately be on NE's radar too....would fit their needs very well...at least they pick after us...but to get him we would have to leap ahead of teams like perhaps Balitmore, Dallas, Arizona, and possibly Detroit in the back of the pack if say Dallas doesn't go rd 1 for one. That said I expect probably one of those teams move up and get him in rd 2 or more likely a team like Minnesota, ST. Louis, or San Diego would look pretty hard at him in the middle of that rd. Honestly he is likely to go at a point in the draft where we just aren't going to be able to get him.

Not sure how a fast 40 would change his draft stock even a little.  His current stock was always based on the assumption of speed, and these are pretty normal pro day numbers for a speed guy.  4.35 and 4.4 would likely mean he equates to a 4.45 - 4.5 guy at the combine - pretty standard stuff for a speed back.  Heck, even TRich ran about 4.4 at his pro day.

I always wanna see a back run between the tackles not open space & whether he falls forward & keeps his legs churning or not. Also, if a hole closes & he gets re-routed, what does he do? 

Mr. Coleman seems like a solid back well build that we will have no shot at anyway. Krunk has a superb eye for talent though. No question. 

The NFL is all about how well you run in tight confined spaces in horrible weather with rain, sleet, mud, & snow. The NFL is not a track meet. Speed has value, but vision & cuts matter more to me. 

As the draft gets closer the more nervous I become. Seems we have alot of intrest in Coleman and Randall both are terrible first picks. RBs can be found later so no need to take one in the first. Randall just isn't a first round talent.

Why can't defensive players also be found later?

I always wanna see a back run between the tackles not open space & whether he falls forward & keeps his legs churning or not. Also, if a hole closes & he gets re-routed, what does he do? 

Mr. Coleman seems like a solid back well build that we will have no shot at anyway. Krunk has a superb eye for talent though. No question. 

The NFL is all about how well you run in tight confined spaces in horrible weather with rain, sleet, mud, & snow. The NFL is not a track meet. Speed has value, but vision & cuts matter more to me. 

SW until I see him leave off the board I ain't giving up that we could get him

I like Coleman and Duke Johnson if we can't get Gurley or Gordon.  If we miss out on Coleman I'll take Duke.

I remember when we drafted Jospeh Addai I was hoping we did not because I didn't really like him.  Turned out to be a better player than I thought.  Gavin will just have to come around I suppose,  I think Coleman can definitely be successful in our offense.

Why can't defensive players also be found later?

Well they can its just more difficult then finding a RB. RB is prolly the stupidest 1st round choice nowadays cause you can get great value in the 4th-6th. Not to mention Grigs has whiffed on our last 2 1st rounders so take a RB is prolly a horrible idea.

I bet he's gone by the top of the 2nd round at the latest. Oh well. I still think we can get someone decent in the 3rd or 4th. Keep adding to that line!

I Hope we don't pass on one of the big D Lineman for this kid. We really need to focus on the D early IMO

I am just not a fan of drafting a RB early when you can get the same quality later in the draft. It's a deep class and there isn't a lot that separates them IMO

The RB's will do as well as the O Line allows them too. In our case that could be pretty good if we stay healthy.

Yep, I still hope Grigs is looking at improving our offensive line too. Yes, INDY needs a tougher defensive presence I get that, but a stout line opens everything else up: The ground game, play action, & a productive offense keeps your d-line fresh & ready to unleash anarchy.

The 90's Dallas Cowboys team taught me that harsh lesson very quickly with Moose Johnson, Emit Smith, & the elephants/power pigs in the trenches up front.  

Well they can its just more difficult then finding a RB. RB is prolly the stupidest 1st round choice nowadays cause you can get great value in the 4th-6th. Not to mention Grigs has whiffed on our last 2 1st rounders so take a RB is prolly a horrible idea.

Normally yes, I get the rb`s position devalued thing and their Dime-a-Dozen aspect.

Runners like Boom & Tipton fit the devalued dime a dozen mindset. But a Franchise back is different. Rbs like AP,Murray,Charles,Bell are a lot more important.

And if they feel like Coleman is a elite back I have no problem with them drafting him wherever.

Tremendous time for him. Could sneak into late 1st.

The time should not be a surprise to anyone.

It's his PRO DAY,  times are almost always faster at pro day.     Hand time vs. fully electronic.

And there's more to being a great running back than a blazing fast time.

Having a fast time doesn't make him a 1st round draft pick.

In a story I just linked yesterday,  Greg Cosell has him rated about the 8th or 9th best RB.     I don't agree.    But the point is he's got lots of qualities that are good and some that are not so great.      Doubtful he's a 1st rounder.    More likely a 2nd or 3rd.

Normally yes, I get the rb`s position devalued thing and their Dime-a-Dozen aspect.

Runners like Boom & Tipton fit the devalued dime a dozen mindset. But a Franchise back is different. Rbs like AP,Murray,Charles,Bell are a lot more important.

And if they feel like Coleman is a elite back I have no problem with them drafting him wherever.

sure great backs are special but IMO they are now just a luxury not a necessity.

Wow that is a really nice time for him. This might move his draft stock up above Duke Johnson. Either way I feel if Coleman or Johnson falls to us in the 2nd we need to pull the trigger on one of them. However, I really hope we don't spend our 1st on one of them I feel like DL, CB, or OT would be the better pick in the 1st.

I like Coleman and Duke Johnson if we can't get Gurley or Gordon.  If we miss out on Coleman I'll take Duke.

I know that I've been tough on Gordon, but I don't wanna see Luck get flattened like a pancake if Elvis Dumervil or Terrell Suggs has a clean shot at Andrew that's all. 

Maybe Pags & Grigs are thinking run Melvin on 1st down & have Gore do blitz pickup on 3rd down. I have no idea. I just frown on drafting backs who have shown no ability to block in pass protection & INDY is a throwing team primarily. Hopefully, Frank Gore will balance us out more now moving forward.