Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Hernandez found guilty

lollygagger8

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aaron-hernandez-found/story?id=30155008

Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez has been found guilty of first-degree murder after a lengthy trial in Fall River, Massachusetts.

Hernandez, 25, was charged with killing Odin Lloyd, 27, on June 17, 2013. Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee, was found shot to death in an abandoned industrial yard.

Prosecutors had alleged that Hernandez and two other men picked up Lloyd from his house and brought him to the industrial park near the Patriots' Gillette Stadium, about a mile from Hernandez's home.

Hernandez had pleaded not guilty.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good.

It was getting weird there, with the jury deliberating for so long. I guess they were just being thorough. But it's time for this guy to go away for good. He still has a trial coming up for the 2012 shootings so he's going to spend the rest of his life in prison, where he belongs. 

Forgive my ignorance for not knowing all the laws associated with murder but is there no Death Penalty in Massachusetts?

"Hernandez faces mandatory life in prison without parole in the no-death-penalty state of Massachusetts. He will be sentenced today after victim-impact statements are heard."

"Hernandez faces mandatory life in prison without parole in the no-death-penalty state of Massachusetts. He will be sentenced today after victim-impact statements are heard."

Guess it would help if I clicked the story. Thanks Gavin!

With a mandatory sentence of life, with no death penalty. Why are they even going to bother with the double murder trial in Boston? I understand the families of the victims deserve justice. But he can't get more punishment than he already has. Seems like a waste of tax dollars

With a mandatory sentence of life, with no death penalty. Why are they even going to bother with the double murder trial in Boston? I understand the families of the victims deserve justice. But he can't get more punishment than he already has. Seems like a waste of tax dollars

Double life I guess. Which at this point doesn't matter, but yeah I think it's just to give the families a sense of justice.

Well what if this conviction is overturned?  They are two separate crimes - you don't forgive him for a double murder just because he got convicted for a totally different one.

As far as your second question, the "common sense" of it should suggest that the death penalty would be cheaper, but it's not - and it's really not even close.  Several different studies have concluded that its generally 5 to 10 times more expensive in totum, considering death row costs, court costs, appeals, administration etc. etc.  Now if you want to suggest that it needs reform, well that's another argument.  But, today, dollar for dollar, it's very expensive to put people to death.

What no firing squad sentence? Sometimes, colonial times had the right idea IMO. Yeah, I know. No death penalty in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. 

I do feel bad for Aaron's parents if they are still alive as well as his wife & child too. I don't blame the Patriots for drafting Hernandez for drafting him. He was an incredible athlete on the field. 

No one could have foreseen that Aaron would have done something this stupid, cruel, vindictive, & senseless in my estimation.

Robert Kraft probably figured that NE's locker room would have shown him the proper way to act like a responsible adult. There's no way a franchise could have predicted that their TE would go off the deep end. 

Yes, I realize he had a checkered past with gang tendencies, but I would have done the same thing Bill Belichick did & believe that I can fix him & put him on the right path to redemption too. 

Because if he is found not guilty than they need to find another suspect and try him/her to ensure justice is served for the victim/families.

By the way there is evidence that the two sets of murders are linked.  Apparently Odin Lloyd was a "loose end" to the first two murders and was a threat to talk.  At least that's a theory that been put out there by some with more access to the evidence.

Double life I guess. Which at this point doesn't matter, but yeah I think it's just to give the families a sense of justice.

I read ya Corgi & it's a very valid point, but if I lost a family member to murder a 2nd conviction isn't going bring my loved one back. That's how I look at it.

Just make sure this sad excuse for a human being will never roam free again & I'm cool with it. 

By the way there is evidence that the two sets of murders are linked.  Apparently Odin Lloyd was a "loose end" to the first two murders and was a threat to talk.  At least that's a theory that been put out there by some with more access to the evidence.

The 2012 case against him is reportedly stronger than the Lloyd case. They recovered a vehicle at a relative's that was believed to be used in the shooting. 

I caution those who are discussing the merits of the death penalty...I am pretty sure that would fall under the politics policy of the forums...

Now everyone can rest, though I'm sure the media will drag it out as much as they can.

No real surprise here.  To me the only surprise was the Jury taking so long to come up with a verdict.

I always take it as a good sign for the prosecution when jurors methodically shift thru the evidence & take their responsibilities very seriously. I agree 100% Gramz. The right conclusion was reached in the end. 

Long deliberations are always welcome to me. It's a good day for Boston with this guilty verdict in both the Hernandez case & Boston Marathon trial ruling too. 

Good.

It was getting weird there, with the jury deliberating for so long. I guess they were just being thorough. But it's time for this guy to go away for good. He still has a trial coming up for the 2012 shootings so he's going to spend the rest of his life in prison, where he belongs. 

Not to get political or anything but if he is guilty of multiple homicides he desearves the death penalty. Instead we will pay hundreds of thousand of dollars to take care of him the rest of his life and on top of that thousands more in legal costs tying up the legals system for years and years with appeals and trying to get his sentance lessoned. I'm not a huge propenent of capital punishment but if you've killed multiple people and value life that little I see no reason to think you will be rehibilitated nor should we as a society support you to continue to live. Just my 2 cents. I always worry about someone wrongfully accused but wrongfully accused on two separate incidents...yeah I have to draw the line somewhere. Sad story...but one that I think should be a lesson.

Because if he is found not guilty than they need to find another suspect and try him/her to ensure justice is served for the victim/families.

Like the investigators in the OJ case are looking for the real killers? They are taking him to trial. If he is found not guilty they won't actively pursue another suspect

How is life in prison less expensive than the death penalty?

I know it don't sound right but it is cheaper to serve a life sentence than be on death row. The legal cost alone are just a part of it. I read an article that explained the difference but I cant recall the numbers. It was staggering how much it cost to sentence someone to death.

I caution those who are discussing the merits of the death penalty...I am pretty sure that would fall under the politics policy of the forums...

Now everyone can rest, though I'm sure the media will drag it out as much as they can.

There is no politics being discussed. Each state has their own laws. A personal opinion is not politics.

Like the investigators in the OJ case are looking for the real killers? They are taking him to trial. If he is found not guilty they won't actively pursue another suspect

He still has to be tried and convicted for a crime(s) he has been believed to have committed. It does not matter that he was convicted of a previous offense. And depending on the outcome and what the prosecution finds out, they very well may pursue another suspect. All of that is to be determined which is why you have to go through the due process.

Not to get political or anything but if he is guilty of multiple homicides he desearves the death penalty. Instead we will pay hundreds of thousand of dollars to take care of him the rest of his life and on top of that thousands more in legal costs tying up the legals system for years and years with appeals and trying to get his sentance lessoned. I'm not a huge propenent of capital punishment but if you've killed multiple people and value life that little I see no reason to think you will be rehibilitated nor should we as a society support you to continue to live. Just my 2 cents. I always worry about someone wrongfully accused but wrongfully accused on two separate incidents...yeah I have to draw the line somewhere. Sad story...but one that I think should be a lesson.

Did you ever watch the movie "A Time to Kill" or read the book? It is basically a modern day "To Kill a Mockingbird."

One of the best treatments of why the death penalty is both good and bad. Such a complex, complicated issue ...

Did you ever watch the movie "A Time to Kill" or read the book? It is basically a modern day "To Kill a Mockingbird."

One of the best treatments of why the death penalty is both good and bad. Such a complex, complicated issue ...

Indeed which is why I am hesitant to use it...but in two separate cases...again I'm not going to go too far with this because its not a forum for it but some things God will just have to be the judge of and if mistakes are made well he will right them in the end. That all said our criminals often times are treated better than 75% of the worlds population as far as the amminities they have access to. Anyways I don't want to derail the thread...very sensative topic and I don't want to ruin the thread.