Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Troy Polamalu to retire.

House

Interesting. 

According to the first link:

http://www.heraldstandard.com/new_today/polamalu-retires-from-football/article_6883f09f-9eef-5486-85c4-755197faf308.html

The Steelers had asked Polamalu to retire in February, but he resisted until the realization came upon him in church this week, the Holy Week of the Greek Orthodox Church.

"It's all about family," said Polamalu in a phone interview. "I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."

Sounds like the Steelers were sort of pushing him to do it too.

Best of luck to him in the future. 

Hell of a lot of fun watching him play, Certainly earned HoF consideration and if I had a vote he would get it...If he ever does get in I think he is in for a long long long wait though...Only 9 other Safeties are in now

Hell of a lot of fun watching him play, Certainly earned HoF consideration and if I had a vote he would get it...If he ever does get in I think he is in for a long long long wait though...Only 9 other Safeties are in now

I don't believe he will wait long at all. He may not go on the first ballot but he will soon after. He was a great player who won 2 Super Bowls, made many Pro Bowls, and was considered the best at his position for years. Also, he never had off-the-field issues or problems with the media. He won't have a problem getting in.

Yeah very tough for safeties to get in. I thought Harrison would have a chance but he seems like a long shot now. I think Troy should go as he was the best at his position for many years.

The Hall of Fame was started because of the the type of player Polamalu was... someone who played the position not only at an elite level but like no one else has played the position before.

I hate the Steelers and usually like to see them lose no matter who they are playing but Troy P was one of the most fun players to watch and often times would leave you shaking your head wondering how in the !@#$% he just did that.... again.

While I don't think he deserved his DPOY award (I think Clay Matthews deserved it that year), he was still a fun player to watch and a player you hated to play against.  After playing so hard on each play for so many years, his body started to break down.  One of the best safeties to ever play the game.

Historic player, however, glad to see him go...Steelers get no love here. The guy was a constant thorn in my side as a Colts fan. The 2005 AFC Divisional game among other games come to mind...Let him and his hair be appropriately represented in the Pro Football Hall of Fame (First ballot inductee, IMO).

Nice guy off the field menace on the field. I wish I had his thick, full hair but that's another issue or should I say SW1's own form of envy I guess. 

Rod Woodson speaks about Troy's retirement as well as HC Bill Cowher of the Pittsburgh Steelers as well...

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/04/10/hall-of-famer-rod-woodson-talks-troy-polamalu-retirement-on-the-re-show/

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/04/10/former-nfl-head-coach-bill-cowher-talks-troy-polamalu-on-the-re-show-41015/

He's been a fantastic safety for a very long time.

He'll get serious Hall of Fame consideration and might just make it....

Hope he enjoys his retirement....   it's been well earned...

I'm pretty sure he'll make it in to the HOF  He and Ed Reed.  Two of the most talented and feared safeties of recent generation of football.  Ed was a little better in pass coverage, picks, and ranging the defensive backfield while Troy was a little better up in the box forcing fumbles and sacking the QB; stuffing the run. But both could do it all and were game changers.  With safeties like those two, your corners don't have to be nearly as shutdown as otherwise would be necessary.

Congrats to Troy on a great career.

I'm pretty sure he'll make it in to the HOF He and Ed Reed. Two of the most talented and feared safeties of recent generation of football. Ed was a little better in pass coverage, picks, and ranging the defensive backfield while Troy was a little better up in the box forcing fumbles and sacking the QB; stuffing the run. But both could do it all and were game changers. With safeties like those two, your corners don't have to be nearly as shutdown as otherwise would be necessary.

Congrats to Troy on a great career.

Nice to see he's retired. He caused a lot of misery in Baltimore, but was one heck of a player.

While I don't think he deserved his DPOY award (I think Clay Matthews deserved it that year), he was still a fun player to watch and a player you hated to play against.  After playing so hard on each play for so many years, his body started to break down.  One of the best safeties to ever play the game.

Indeed...you don't play football with that kind of reckless abandon and it not have an effect on your body. Guy was purely an instinctual player. Very cerebrial. I wouldn't probably show his game field to young players to learn....I would be like...."I have no clue what he saw there...but he just blew that play up". Something special indeed in that guy. HOF for sure. I think both he and Ed were the safeties our this generation. Ed the FS and Troy the SS.

His faith and family is the nice thing to hear. Talking about loving and being with his family....discussing the the fact that Jesus lived 33 years (Troys age) and his 12 disciples (12 years that Troy played) you can see he came from a very deep place on this one. A great example of a player and man for young guys to look up to. Need more of him out there..everywhere. God bless you Troy and good luck on the next part of your journey.