Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Disappointment in who colts didnt pick up?

Obviously we all wanted suh but rather not have a player whos in it for the money. But gosh I wanted lupati so bad! He wouldve complimented gore very well. And I dont even think he cost the cardinals too much either.

I think Iupati got 5/40.     That's the number I remember seeing...   could be off a little, but I don't think a lot.

By the way,   not everyone wanted Suh.     I was one of a number of posters who didn't want him.

NOTE:    Double checked -- Iupati 5/40 is correct.    And 22.5 of that is guaranteed.     For what it's worth,  Iupati is making more than the Cardinals are paying their Left Tackle.

In other words,  he did not come cheap,  Arizona paid full price.

We should have approached the D-Line differently IMO. We have to build through the draft yes, but we also gotta add some stars through free agency. I think we should have swung for the fences and tried to do whatever it took to trade for Ngata. Even if that meant trading a 3rd round pick. You can always outbid somebody. The Ravens would have taken that with a big smile on their faces. Or maybe went a little harder after Suh. Or maybe Dan Williams. But even if we didn't get one of those guys, Nick Fairley and Terrence Knighton signed for basically nothing. We could have had both of them. So yeah I think we missed out on some good D-Lineman. Now we have to find one in the draft.

Now a thread started over the players the Colts didn't get? It don't matter who grigson brings in it seem their are some who feel it's never enough. It don't matter how much money is involved. It don't matter there are 31 other teams wanting the same players.

If w draft properly (stud DLineman) we'll forget about whom we didn't get. The price tg for some of the ones mentioned here was excessive. We have chosen wisely, IMO. Let's hop for some luck on Draft day #1 and hope that Grigs can find more diamonds in the rough such as Mewhort.

If w draft properly (stud DLineman) we'll forget about whom we didn't get. The price tg for some of the ones mentioned here was excessive. We have chosen wisely, IMO. Let's hop for some luck on Draft day #1 and hope that Grigs can find more diamonds in the rough such as Mewhort.

Fairley and Searcy were excessive?

Fairley and Searcy were excessive?

Searcy was a little pricey. I predicted he'd get $6m/year, and people said it was too much. That's just what he got, with the first two years guaranteed.

I'd have been all over Fairley. I was irritated with Grigson over Fairley and Knighton. But based on Grigson's comments, I think he didn't want to deal with anyone with character or work ethic issues this time around.

Searcy was a little pricey. I predicted he'd get $6m/year, and people said it was too much. That's just what he got, with the first two years guaranteed.

I'd have been all over Fairley. I was irritated with Grigson over Fairley and Knighton. But based on Grigson's comments, I think he didn't want to deal with anyone with character or work ethic issues this time around.

yeah I just think Searcy wasn't too bad IMO especially with our S situation and the poor draft

I think Fairley was looking for 1 of 2 things ... 1) A long term contract big pay day .. or 2) Someplace where he could pump up his stats to try for a big pay day next off season.  The Colts were neither of those things ... we weren't going to give him the type of big contract he wanted, and our DL isn't likely to pump up his stats .. not like he will be able to on the Rams where there is so much talent around him/taking focus off him he is going to have a much better chance at putting up big numbers.  

I don't think we were ever going to get Fairley at a reasonable price. 

We should have approached the D-Line differently IMO. We have to build through the draft yes, but we also gotta add some stars through free agency. I think we should have swung for the fences and tried to do whatever it took to trade for Ngata. Even if that meant trading a 3rd round pick. You can always outbid somebody. The Ravens would have taken that with a big smile on their faces. Or maybe went a little harder after Suh. Or maybe Dan Williams. But even if we didn't get one of those guys, Nick Fairley and Terrence Knighton signed for basically nothing. We could have had both of them. So yeah I think we missed out on some good D-Lineman. Now we have to find one in the draft.

Ngata was never coming here. If you were running the Ravens would you trade a player that has the potential to make a team you are going to be fighting it out with in the AFC for the foreseeable future significantly better? There is a reason Ngata ended up in the NFC.  

As far as the D Line. We typically went with 6 DL on the 53 man occasionally 7.

Grig's targeted his FA signing and brought him in and got him signed in Langford. I know a lot of people don't like the signing but I think it is going to work out well for us.

So with the Langford signing we have Jones, Langford, Hughes, Chapman, and Kerr. That is 5 solid D Lineman. Grig's also spoke highly of Quarles. He is a guy I was pleased we snagged from the Pats and think can provide some help with the pass rush this year.

That gives us 6 D Lineman four of which are on rookie deals. Grig's said he was happy with what we had on the D Line. Would Williams, Fairley or Potroast be better than what we have right now? I am not so sure they would be. Grig's did seem to think so.

There is no reason to bring in a FA if they are not going to play and significantly upgrade the D. I have no problem sticking with Kerr, Chapman, Hughes and possibly Quarles.  All 4 on rookie deals.  

We take a DL early we are right at our roster numgber of 6/7 on the 53 man. If we end up with a couple from the draft we might have a tough choice to make.

I wish we would have done a little more at S but there wasn't a lot of options. Again Grig's hasn't been shy about his feelings about Guy and Dewey has a year under his belt.

It's all about the draft you have to hit the guys you draft and not be afraid to play them.

I am pleased with what we have done with the D so far. There will still be opportunities to improve starting with the draft.

As a whole, free agency is usually a bad way to build your team. I really don't have a problem with what we did this year. I think Gore was a great addition and should provide an immediate upgrade in our running game.

IMO the philosophy really wasn't "win now". The idea, in my opinion was, get some veterans to shore up the areas that are in need of youth until the youth is ready to take over.

Johnson will provide a solid option until Moncrief is really ready to be a sure #2.

Herremens was signed to provide immediate upgrade until a suitable draft pick will be ready.

Trent Cole was signed as insurance for 1) Mathis' return and 2) to give the younger guys in that position more time to develop.

I fully expect that over the next 2 years we will be drafting those positions high anyway.

Ngata was never coming here. If you were running the Ravens would you trade a player that has the potential to make a team you are going to be fighting it out with in the AFC for the foreseeable future significantly better? There is a reason Ngata ended up in the NFC.  

As far as the D Line. We typically went with 6 DL on the 53 man occasionally 7.

Grig's targeted his FA signing and brought him in and got him signed in Langford. I know a lot of people don't like the signing but I think it is going to work out well for us.

So with the Langford signing we have Jones, Langford, Hughes, Chapman, and Kerr. That is 5 solid D Lineman. Grig's also spoke highly of Quarles. He is a guy I was pleased we snagged from the Pats and think can provide some help with the pass rush this year.

That gives us 6 D Lineman four of which are on rookie deals. Grig's said he was happy with what we had on the D Line. Would Williams, Fairley or Potroast be better than what we have right now? I am not so sure they would be. Grig's did seem to think so.

There is no reason to bring in a FA if they are not going to play and significantly upgrade the D. I have no problem sticking with Kerr, Chapman, Hughes and possibly Quarles.  All 4 on rookie deals.  

We take a DL early we are right at our roster numgber of 6/7 on the 53 man. If we end up with a couple from the draft we might have a tough choice to make.

I wish we would have done a little more at S but there wasn't a lot of options. Again Grig's hasn't been shy about his feelings about Guy and Dewey has a year under his belt.

It's all about the draft you have to hit the guys you draft and not be afraid to play them.

I am pleased with what we have done with the D so far. There will still be opportunities to improve starting with the draft.

I'm still nervous about our DL. I think the DL played pretty well at times last year but there were times when they played pretty bad too. IDK if the right thing to do would have been to sign one of those 3 guys to big $ either. We need to draft a good DL as you point out anyway.

I agree about the S position in that there weren't a lot of great options out there this year. Again, this is another position that we really need to upgrade. Adams will be fine for a year or maybe 2. But after that I think we're in trouble and we really almost need to draft 2 safeties. Maybe not this year because that positon isn't deep with talent but we definitely need to look to the future at that position.

I think Fairley was looking for 1 of 2 things ... 1) A long term contract big pay day .. or 2) Someplace where he could pump up his stats to try for a big pay day next off season.  The Colts were neither of those things ... we weren't going to give him the type of big contract he wanted, and our DL isn't likely to pump up his stats .. not like he will be able to on the Rams where there is so much talent around him/taking focus off him he is going to have a much better chance at putting up big numbers.  

I don't think we were ever going to get Fairley at a reasonable price. 

You're right, it takes two to tango. Early reports -- which must have been bogus -- said the Colts were prepared to make a serious offer to Fairley. Maybe they did, he balked, and they moved on. Maybe there was no offer, and no mutual interest. I don't know. And like you say, the Colts isn't the right destination for him if he's looking to put up some numbers for a new contract.

Don't forget the contracts in 2016 luck te's etc I think are dt position is crowded .. I also think Gordon or gurly land on us where taken them .. Gore is old and running behind an improvement line .. It's not the same 49er o line .. If we get a running game watch out ..

Don't forget the contracts in 2016 luck te's etc I think are dt position is crowded .. I also think Gordon or gurly land on us where taken them .. Gore is old and running behind an improvement line .. It's not the same 49er o line .. If we get a running game watch out ..

Crowded with average guys

Obviously we all wanted suh but rather not have a player whos in it for the money. But gosh I wanted lupati so bad! He wouldve complimented gore very well. And I dont even think he cost the cardinals too much either.

That is not true about Suh. How can you say that we all wanted Suh? I didn't, and I'm extremely happy we did not spend the money Miami did to get his services.

Now I will agree with you on Iupati. I believe he would have been a great addition to the Colts, and I would have welcomed him and the deal the Cardinals gave him with open arms. 

The truth of it all is that not every player wants to play for the Colts. It is not like we really have a shot with every free agent. We have to be a good fit for them too. Free agents have professionals who tell them where they are a good fit, and where they are not. Maybe their agent doesn't like to deal with a particular person, or the agent really likes to deal with another. There are many different variables to a free agents signing with a new team. Iupati's reasoning to sign with the Cardinals could be more about playing the 49ers twice a year, and Bruce Arian's is a great players coach too. It makes perfect sense to me. After the turmoil of last season, maybe he wanted to find a home where the media isn't discussing the coach on the hot seat.  

Sometimes we do not sign a player because we did not go after them, but we also have to accept the fact that sometimes we are just not on the free agents radar.

We still have a right to be disappointed, because as fans, we get our hopes up for certain players to wear the shoe. We also are at a disadvantage due to not having an ear in the communication links between the free agents and the teams. We only hear and read second hand information, rumors, and also completely fabricated information.

All of that said, I am still old-fashioned. I would rather have a player we drafted become a superstar. Obviously it takes a good mixture of drafting and signing key free agents to be successful, but I don't get as excited about free agents as I do draft picks.

That is not true about Suh. How can you say that we all wanted Suh? I didn't, and I'm extremely happy we did not spend the money Miami did to get his services.

Now I will agree with you on Iupati. I believe he would have been a great addition to the Colts, and I would have welcomed him and the deal the Cardinals gave him with open arms. 

The truth of it all is that not every player wants to play for the Colts. It is not like we really have a shot with every free agent. We have to be a good fit for them too. Free agents have professionals who tell them where they are a good fit, and where they are not. Maybe their agent doesn't like to deal with a particular person, or the agent really likes to deal with another. There are many different variables to a free agents signing with a new team. Iupati's reasoning to sign with the Cardinals could be more about playing the 49ers twice a year, and Bruce Arian's is a great players coach too. It makes perfect sense to me. After the turmoil of last season, maybe he wanted to find a home where the media isn't discussing the coach on the hot seat.  

Sometimes we do not sign a player because we did not go after them, but we also have to accept the fact that sometimes we are just not on the free agents radar.

We still have a right to be disappointed, because as fans, we get our hopes up for certain players to wear the shoe. We also are at a disadvantage due to not having an ear in the communication links between the free agents and the teams. We only hear and read second hand information, rumors, and also completely fabricated information.

All of that said, I am still old-fashioned. I would rather have a player we drafted become a superstar. Obviously it takes a good mixture of drafting and signing key free agents to be successful, but I don't get as excited about free agents as I do draft picks.

Same. I'm more of a draft guy. Draft and develop is the key IMO. A lot of FA is Fool's Gold

Same. I'm more of a draft guy. Draft and develop is the key IMO. A lot of FA is Fool's Gold

A lot of the draft is fools gold too. Everyone uses the Packers as an example of a team that "builds the right way" Yet, when Aaron Rodgers goes down they look like a lot of the other trashy teams in the NFL. They key is really finding a QB.